We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

31 Days of Oscar 2016

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 B4UER

B4UER

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:04 PM

(unrelated to other current running discussions) In case anyone was interested...   The theme music playing in the 2016 TCM 31 Days of Oscar promo is 'Burning House' on self titled album by Owl.  It seems that people are frequently wanting to know about the promo music.      : )

• TopBilled likes this

#2 GregoryPeckfan

GregoryPeckfan

Movie Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts
  • LocationCanada - where we have free press

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:34 PM

The Bedford Incidence was playing at that time,  you were just watching the wrong station.    Get-TV was also honoring Poitier's birthday and that film was showing at the same time.   I watched the last part of No Man Out.  My wife again said 'hey that is the Riddler, right'.    No honey,  they just look a like.    After hearing Widmark go off with the 'N' word I turned to Get-TV and said 'ok here is a different side of Widmark'.    I didn't want her to think the Riddler was a racist!   

Widmark and Poitier were lifelong friends.  Every time "cut!" was yelled, Widmark would go over to Poitier and apologize to him for using that word.  Poitier told him that they were actors playing roles and he understood and not to worry about it.

Widmark's laugh really was like that in real life.  That's how he got the role as Tommy Udo much to his wife's chagrin as she wanted them to be able to stay in New York and Richard's film contact option was then picked up.

The laughs do sound similar.  Frank Gorshin even looks a bit like Widmark, sure.

Peter Fonda and Gregory Peck are my heroes.

#3 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,446 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 February 2016 - 01:06 PM

I don't believe that In the Heat of the Night is available, at least in Canada.

I wish that they had aired The Bedford Incident instead of No Way Out which I only got through the whole way once and only because I love the leading men so much.  They had Richard Widmark as the next actor so The Bedford Incident would have been a good alternate.

I've only gotten through Judgement at Nuremberg once the whole way through either despite my love of the cast.

I would have preferred another Richard Widmark title instead.  Instead one of my favourite actors of all time has back to back movies on TCM and I am not interested in watching either. 

I'd love to see The Slender Thread again.

I'll likely  watch To Sir, with Love which I have recorded as it is Poitier's birthday and I love the film.

I have a feeling that it is not a movie that I'll enjoy watching after he's gone.  I need to enjoy it while I can.

The Bedford Incidence was playing at that time,  you were just watching the wrong station.    Get-TV was also honoring Poitier's birthday and that film was showing at the same time.   I watched the last part of No Man Out.  My wife again said 'hey that is the Riddler, right'.    No honey,  they just look a like.    After hearing Widmark go off with the 'N' word I turned to Get-TV and said 'ok here is a different side of Widmark'.    I didn't want her to think the Riddler was a racist!   

• GregoryPeckfan likes this

#4 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

Calling Barranca. Calling Barranca.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 February 2016 - 08:38 PM

I wish that they had aired The Bedford Incident instead of No Way Out which I only got through the whole way once and only because I love the leading men so much.  They had Richard Widmark as the next actor so The Bedford Incident would have been a good alternate.

I've only gotten through Judgement at Nuremberg once the whole way through either despite my love of the cast.

I would have preferred another Richard Widmark title instead.  Instead one of my favourite actors of all time has back to back movies on TCM and I am not interested in watching either. 

I'll likely  watch To Sir, with Love which I have recorded as it is Poitier's birthday and I love the film.

I have a feeling that it is not a movie that I'll enjoy watching after he's gone.  I need to enjoy it while I can.

No In the Heat of the Night in Canada is a shame. That's just an excellent film all around on many levels.

I didn't bring up The Bedford Incident (1965) for selfish reasons (I've seen it at least four times

all the way through in the last several months).

Judgement at Nuremberg (1961) is just too bound up and weighed down in dramatic performances for me to sit through - IMHO. I've never been able to fully appreciate it's qualities. To Sir with Love (1967) would have been another good choice. I prefer this to Glenn Ford's The Blackboard Jungle (1955) - mainly due to me not being a big fan of Glenn Ford's dramatic performances. I prefer his comedic roles.

FdX2C0H.gif

#5 GregoryPeckfan

GregoryPeckfan

Movie Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 08:12 PM

I am thoroughly enjoying Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967), as I always do. I do wish, however, In the Heat of the Night (1967) had been chosen to follow in the schedule instead of the recently overplayed No Way Out (1950).

I wonder.. maybe .. Heat.. was not available - too bad. 

Has anyone here seen The Slender Thread (1965) or For Love of Ivy (1968) in the last ten years?

Either of those would have been another good choice.

• Kid Dabb likes this

#6 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

Calling Barranca. Calling Barranca.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:45 PM

I am thoroughly enjoying Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967), as I always do. I do wish, however, In the Heat of the Night (1967) had been chosen to follow in the schedule instead of the recently overplayed No Way Out (1950).

I wonder.. maybe .. Heat.. was not available - too bad. 

Has anyone here seen The Slender Thread (1965) or For Love of Ivy (1968) in the last ten years?

Either of those would have been another good choice.

FdX2C0H.gif

#7 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,292 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:28 PM

FRENCHMAN'S CREEK is a Fontaine film I haven't seen so I'll be looking out for that one.   

It's also an Arturo de Cordova film. :)

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#8 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,446 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:26 PM

I just watched THE SLIPPER AND THE ROSE on Amazon Prime yesterday. So it's available all year round in that viewing format.

FRENCHMAN'S CREEK is scheduled four times from now to April. Soon it may go from a welcome premiere to an overplayed title that people grow tired of (though I hope not!).

FRENCHMAN'S CREEK is a Fontaine film I haven't seen so I'll be looking out for that one.   

• TopBilled likes this

#9 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,292 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:41 AM

I haven't seen those first three, so maybe I'll try them out.

I just watched THE SLIPPER AND THE ROSE on Amazon Prime yesterday. So it's available all year round in that viewing format.

FRENCHMAN'S CREEK is scheduled four times from now to April. Soon it may go from a welcome premiere to an overplayed title that people grow tired of (though I hope not!).

• LawrenceA likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#10 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Observer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,506 posts
  • LocationHere and Gone

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:57 PM

FYI

"We'll also be premiering several impressive movies we've never shown on TCM before including Frenchman's Creek (1944), The Slipper and the Rose (1976), Bloodbrothers (1978), Breaking Away (1979), Best Friends (1982) and Apollo 13 (1995)."

I haven't seen those first three, so maybe I'll try them out.

#11 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,633 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:58 PM

For those that are interested, here are the links to TCM's articles about 31 Days of Oscar, written by Martin Scorsese and Robert Osborne respectively:

http://www.tcm.com/t...r-February.html

http://www.tcm.com/t...-of-Oscar-.html

Here too is the link to TCM's official 31 Days of Oscar website: http://31days.tcm.com/. Other than a PDF schedule there isn't much there at the moment, but I expect it will become more active in the coming days.

FYI

"We'll also be premiering several impressive movies we've never shown on TCM before including Frenchman's Creek (1944), The Slipper and the Rose (1976), Bloodbrothers (1978), Breaking Away (1979), Best Friends (1982) and Apollo 13 (1995)."

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#12 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,292 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 03:33 PM

I cannot find the original post about Battle of the Bulge, but I remember there being some reference to it not having any nominations.  Do I have the right title?

Then it was thought that it must have been the documentary.

Well, I don't know what it airing is USA, but here in Canada the Henry Fonda movie is indeed airing as I was to link through Robert Ryan.

Yes, it was the Henry Fonda film. It does not have any Oscar nominations. It is still on the U.S. schedule as well.

Airing on February 2nd.

#13 GregoryPeckfan

GregoryPeckfan

Movie Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 03:27 PM

I cannot find the original post about Battle of the Bulge, but I remember there being some reference to it not having any nominations.  Do I have the right title?

Then it was thought that it must have been the documentary.

Well, I don't know what it airing is USA, but here in Canada the Henry Fonda movie is indeed airing as I was to link through Robert Ryan.

#14 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:10 PM

For those that are interested, here are the links to TCM's articles about 31 Days of Oscar, written by Martin Scorsese and Robert Osborne respectively:

http://www.tcm.com/t...r-February.html

http://www.tcm.com/t...-of-Oscar-.html

Here too is the link to TCM's official 31 Days of Oscar website: http://31days.tcm.com/. Other than a PDF schedule there isn't much there at the moment, but I expect it will become more active in the coming days.

• mr6666 and TopBilled like this

#15 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,292 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:13 AM

I have to say that my first impression of the programming for this year's '31 Days' is one of disappointment.  Although it likely took quite a bit of work to connect all the films using the "degrees of Kevin Bacon" approach, that doesn't provide any insight as to how the films were made, their stars, or their impact on the viewer.  It's really just a gimmick which provides no value-added as far as I can see.  Maybe they can just go ahead and give Robert and Ben the month off...

(This is not a comment on the movies themselves, they can be judged on their own merits of course.)

I tend to agree with that comment. It does seem like a gimmick, and in order to connect everything (usually by star instead of director, writer or technician) they have pulled in a large number of films that actually did not receive any Oscars at all (and many titles only had one nomination in a minor category). So overall, it doesn't seem like a thorough presentation of the types of achievements the Oscar voters are trying to recognise each year. 

If they had focused on films that actually earned Oscars, they could have done it in primetime and left the morning slots open for birthday tributes-- February birthdays and Black history month are neglected by TCM every year because of the padded, mostly filler Oscar tie-in.

• mr6666 likes this

#16 cmovieviewer

cmovieviewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:18 PM

I have to say that my first impression of the programming for this year's '31 Days' is one of disappointment.  Although it likely took quite a bit of work to connect all the films using the "degrees of Kevin Bacon" approach, that doesn't provide any insight as to how the films were made, their stars, or their impact on the viewer.  It's really just a gimmick which provides no value-added as far as I can see.  Maybe they can just go ahead and give Robert and Ben the month off...

(This is not a comment on the movies themselves, they can be judged on their own merits of course.)

• mr6666 and TopBilled like this

#17 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,292 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 04:38 PM

I could have sworn that was James Mason. . . except he never really went for the BIG SMILE, did he?

No...he really didn't. :)

#18 DebraDancer

DebraDancer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:43 PM

TopBilled and the Oscars

Part 24 of 31

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-12-19%2Bat%2B11.48.

Mr. Homolka called to ask why I am not including him in this thread. I explained it's because his first name has a 'k' in it, instead of a 'c'...but that doesn't seem to matter to him. He won't leave me alone until I make this post.

Here's what's airing on TCM February 24th:

I could have sworn that was James Mason. . . except he never really went for the BIG SMILE, did he?

• TopBilled likes this

#19 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,292 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 01:00 PM

Some interesting totals:

During the 31 Days of Oscar in 2016, TCM will be airing 368 feature films. One of them was included in error as it had zero nominations. So let's use the number 367 instead.

Of the 367 films, 224 of them did not earn any Oscars (they just had nominations only). That means roughly 61% of the titles TCM is showing were not Oscar recipients in any category. 

Many of the films only had one nomination-- and usually lost in the sole category for which it was represented. Some films that had one nomination did earn an Oscar. There were 15 of them. Only two other films (IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT at 5; and GIGI at 9) earned Oscars in all nominated categories. So if we add the 15 plus these other two, only 17 films were completely victorious at the Oscars. That's 17 out of the grand total TCM is showing-- 367. Less than 5%.

#20 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,292 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:31 AM

In the days ahead, I will look over all of TCM's selections and provide a basic summary-- especially, ones that did not earn any Oscars. It seemed like TCM scheduled a lot of pictures that only had one nomination (usually in some "lesser" category). Probably because they were trying to connect titles by certain honorees. Which brings me to another point-- the schedule was mostly linked by actors/actresses and occasionally by a few directors. Why the bias? Why associate the Oscars primarily with actors, when many of the films in this tribute had zero nominations for acting...?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users