We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

31 Days of Oscar 2016

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#81 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • LocationMississauga, Ontario

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:24 PM

Thanks. I did not look at the running times for films airing on TCM February 2nd. The Fonda film is quite long. Do we know for sure that TCM is airing the documentary instead, and how come it is not listed correctly on the February schedule?

The Oscar-nominated documentary has a run time of 52 minutes, according to the IMDb, while the film TCM has programmed is scheduled to run from 5:00PM t0 8:00PM, more than triple that length of time. This indicates that TCM will be airing the Fonda film which, as my research indicates, was not nominated for any Academy Awards.

#82 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,077 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:16 PM

According to the AMPAS website, it was nominated in the category of Best Documentary (Feature).

For a full list of nominees and winners from 1965, refer to: https://www.oscars.o...ceremonies/1966.

Thanks. I did not look at the running times for films airing on TCM February 2nd. The Fonda film is quite long. Do we know for sure that TCM is airing the documentary instead, and how come it is not listed correctly on the February schedule?

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#83 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:09 PM

How did you find out this information, Barton? Was the documentary nominated for an Oscar?

According to the AMPAS website, it was nominated in the category of Best Documentary (Feature).

For a full list of nominees and winners from 1965, refer to: https://www.oscars.o...ceremonies/1966.

• TopBilled likes this

#84 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,077 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 11:50 AM

The programmers made an embarrassing error on this day's schedule. Yes, there was a 1965 film called BATTLE OF THE BULGE and, yes, it was nominated for an Oscar. However, it was not the Henry Fonda epic which TCM is showing but rather a documentary which was subtitled THE BRAVE RIFLES; the film was narrated by actor Arthur Kennedy and it has never aired on TCM.

How did you find out this information, Barton? Was the documentary nominated for an Oscar?

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#85 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 11:32 AM

Oscar Accolades:

THE SUNDOWNERS-- 5 nominations, 0 awards

DEAR HEART-- 1 nomination, 0 awards

THE RED DANUBE-- 1 nomination, 0 awards

FORBIDDEN PLANET-- 1 nomination, 0 awards

BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK-- 3 nominations, 0 awards

BATTLE OF THE BULGE--1 nomination, 0 awards

THE STING-- 10 nominations, 7 awards

THE VERDICT--5 nominations, 0 awards

FROM HERE TO ETERNITY-- 13 nominations, 7 awards

THE HUMAN COMEDY-- 5 nominations, 1 award

BLOSSOMS IN THE DUST-- 4 nominations, 1 award

The programmers made an embarrassing error on this day's schedule. Yes, there was a 1965 film called BATTLE OF THE BULGE and, yes, it was nominated for an Oscar. However, it was not the Henry Fonda epic which TCM is showing but rather a documentary which was subtitled THE BRAVE RIFLES; the film was narrated by actor Arthur Kennedy and it has never aired on TCM.

#86 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,077 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:13 AM

FEBRUARY 2, 2016

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-11-18%2Bat%2B10.52.

Oscar Accolades:

THE SUNDOWNERS-- 5 nominations, 0 awards

DEAR HEART-- 1 nomination, 0 awards

THE RED DANUBE-- 1 nomination, 0 awards

FORBIDDEN PLANET-- 1 nomination, 0 awards

BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK-- 3 nominations, 0 awards

BATTLE OF THE BULGE--0 nominations, 0 awards

THE STING-- 10 nominations, 7 awards

THE VERDICT--5 nominations, 0 awards

FROM HERE TO ETERNITY-- 13 nominations, 7 awards

THE HUMAN COMEDY-- 5 nominations, 1 award

BLOSSOMS IN THE DUST-- 4 nominations, 1 award

#87 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,077 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 03:57 PM

TopBilled and the Oscars

Part 2 of 31

I arrived in Stockholm about an hour ago. But Oscar II of Sweden is unavoidably detained. So I decided to ask my old friend Louis Calhern if he wouldn't mind posing for a picture in some of the king's clothing. He kindly obliged.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-11-19%2Bat%2B1.49.0

Here's what TCM is airing on February 2nd...it's a royal treat:

#88 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,077 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 08:08 AM

I had a fun time with Oscar de la Hoya and Cheech Marin last night, but I am back at LAX now. Soon I am catching a flight to Stockholm. Oscar II of Sweden is going to help me introduce Day 2 of TCM's 31 Days of Oscar. The royal family has sent a special jet to pick me up. Check back...

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-11-18%2Bat%2B8.53.4

#89 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,077 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:31 PM

FEBRUARY 1, 2016

Oscar Accolades:

GIGI-- 9 nominations, 9 awards

THE MERRY WIDOW-- 2 nominations, 0 awards

BROADWAY MELODY OF '36-- 1 nomination, 0 awards

CALAMITY JANE-- 2 nominations, 1 award

BILLY ROSE'S JUMBO-- 1 nomination, 0 awards

BEN-HUR-- 12 nominations, 11 awards

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA-- 10 nominations, 7 awards

THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI-- 8 nominations, 7 awards

EDWARD, MY SON-- 1 nomination, 0 awards

#90 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,077 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:03 PM

TopBilled and the Oscars

Part 1 of 31

I have just gotten off the plane at LAX. Look who greeted me at the gate:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-11-18%2Bat%2B9.02.5

We're heading to East L.A. for some cerveza, where Cheech Marin might join us. 

Here's what TCM is airing on February 1st...it's a real one-two punch:

#91 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,077 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 02:33 PM

I have it on good authority that the theme for 31 Days of Oscar 2016 is called "360 Degrees of Hermione Gingold." Ms. Gingold is featured in both the first and the last films on the festival's schedule.

Why her..? 

#92 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 12:06 PM

I have it on good authority that the theme for 31 Days of Oscar 2016 is called "360 Degrees of Hermione Gingold." Ms. Gingold is featured in both the first and the last films on the festival's schedule.

• TopBilled likes this

#93 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,077 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:59 AM

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-11-18%2Bat%2B8.54.3

We have a leap year in 2016, and it's causing me to get a bit excited. As a result I have decided to look at TCM's daily schedule from February 1st to March 2nd in a somewhat splashy sort of way--with some Oscars I know. 

As soon as they have finished laying down the red carpet, I will be off on a flight to see the first Oscar. He's going to help me introduce TCM's offerings for February 1st. So please check back...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users