We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

"No Highway in the Sky" 1951 Video Movie Review - Almost Perfect!

No Highway in the Sky 1951 James Stewart Marlene Dietrich Glynis Johns Jack Hawkins

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,948 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 01:26 AM

That's definitely the point of these movies! I read somewhere that disaster movies fit into the whole Cold War thing...paranoia.

Interesting. Hadn't really thought of it in those terms before...

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 IanPatrickMovieReviews

IanPatrickMovieReviews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 11:16 PM

Some comments--

Glynis Johns would do another film with James Stewart 14 years later-- the family comedy DEAR BRIGITTE, in which they played husband and wife. (Henry Koster directed both pictures.)

I'm glad you mentioned Stewart's passion for aviation. He had his own flying company after the war. 

As you noted, Stewart and Dietrich had previously costarred in Universal's western DESTRY RIDES AGAIN, which is probably a more well-known movie.

It's possible that Dietrich went and had Dior design her clothes, so she could look more radiant (and thereby upstage) the younger Glynis Johns and any other females in the film. An "aging" actress like Dietrich would have a few tricks up her sleeve to keep the attention on her, but it's nice to at least hear that once she got to know Glynis, they got along.

Do you think the point of these movies is to make audiences nervous?

That's definitely the point of these movies! I read somewhere that disaster movies fit into the whole Cold War thing...paranoia.

• TopBilled likes this

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,948 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:17 PM

Some comments--

Glynis Johns would do another film with James Stewart 14 years later-- the family comedy DEAR BRIGITTE, in which they played husband and wife. (Henry Koster directed both pictures.)

I'm glad you mentioned Stewart's passion for aviation. He had his own flying company after the war. 

As you noted, Stewart and Dietrich had previously costarred in Universal's western DESTRY RIDES AGAIN, which is probably a more well-known movie.

It's possible that Dietrich went and had Dior design her clothes, so she could look more radiant (and thereby upstage) the younger Glynis Johns and any other females in the film. An "aging" actress like Dietrich would have a few tricks up her sleeve to keep the attention on her, but it's nice to at least hear that once she got to know Glynis, they got along.

Do you think the point of these movies is to make audiences nervous?

• IanPatrickMovieReviews likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 IanPatrickMovieReviews

IanPatrickMovieReviews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:16 AM

After watching "Phone Call from a Stranger," I felt like watching another classic that revolved around plane crashes...I ended up with "No Highway in the Sky," and I have to say it was a great watch.

As we grow nearer to the holidays, I review a movie about travel...and plane crashes! If you are traveling for Thanksgiving or Christmas, this movie may not be right for you at this time! 

Overall, a great thriller! What did you think of it? Write comments below and don't forget to subscribe on YouTube for future reviews!

• TopBilled likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: No Highway in the Sky, 1951, James Stewart, Marlene Dietrich, Glynis Johns, Jack Hawkins

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users