We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

"Plymouth Adventure" 1952 Video Movie Review - Thanksgiving Classic! Turkey TIme!

Plymouth Adventure 1952 Movie Review Thanksgiving Spencer Tracy Van Johnson Gene Tierney Leo Genn

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,899 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 04:33 PM

TCM will rebroadcast PLYMOUTH ADVENTURE on Sunday November 20th.

http://www.tcm.com/t...outh-Adventure/

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 IanPatrickMovieReviews

IanPatrickMovieReviews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:45 AM

I've been there years and years ago and totally forgot how it looked! Thanks for sharing this TB! Those are amazing photos and truly show how little the Mayflower was.

• TopBilled likes this

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,899 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:23 PM

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-06-08%2Bat%2B10.15.

These pictures were taken by a friend who was in Massachusetts today. It is an exact replica of the Mayflower, called the Mayflower II. You can see how small the ship really was (holding over 100 people plus livestock).

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-06-08%2Bat%2B10.15.

• IanPatrickMovieReviews and rayban like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,899 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:21 AM

Brown's "The Yearling" is such a dreamlike movie...I enjoyed it quite a bit.

The love triangle in the movie was pretty bad...it's not even just because of how Tracy looked, but also his personality...he's a huge jerk and mean to everyone on the ship...and here the wife of the leader of the pilgrims is falling for him? It was too much for me LOL

Thanks for commenting on why Van Johnson disappeared. It was unfortunate that he wasn't in it more. I'm definitely a fan of him!

You're welcome. It sounds like the screenwriter needed to explain why Tierney's character would fall for such a man. Perhaps it would have worked better if she had developed a close friendship with him, because he resembled her father or older brother, and that was misinterpreted by others on the ship. There probably was a more realistic way to portray their relationship in the movie.

• IanPatrickMovieReviews likes this

#5 IanPatrickMovieReviews

IanPatrickMovieReviews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:43 PM

Brown's "The Yearling" is such a dreamlike movie...I enjoyed it quite a bit.

The love triangle in the movie was pretty bad...it's not even just because of how Tracy looked, but also his personality...he's a huge jerk and mean to everyone on the ship...and here the wife of the leader of the pilgrims is falling for him? It was too much for me LOL

Thanks for commenting on why Van Johnson disappeared. It was unfortunate that he wasn't in it more. I'm definitely a fan of him!

• TopBilled likes this

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,899 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 01:50 PM

Some comments--

Spencer Tracy liked working with Van Johnson (he considered himself a mentor to Van)...their first film was A GUY NAMED JOE; and they also did STATE OF THE UNION, with Katharine Hepburn.

Clarence Brown was one of MGM's noted in-house directors. I've read he was Clark Gable's favorite director. Brown's biggest hit, or at least one that was most lauded by critics, is probably THE YEARLING.

You mentioned the movie earning an Oscar for special effects. In all the years that TCM has done the 31 Days of Oscar, I don't think they've ever scheduled PLYMOUTH ADVENTURE in February. It usually gets trotted out in November, and that's pretty much it.

Regarding the love story between Tracy and Tierney's characters-- there was a formula in movie-making which still holds true today that the audience needs to see some kind of romance mixed in with the action. I agree that these two stars do not seem to radiate much chemistry. If it was made today, Van Johnson who is younger would probably be playing the role of the better looking captain and Van's part would be given to someone younger than him. There wouldn't be an older overweight actor playing the romantic lead as we see here. 

Tierney did this film on loan-out from her home studio, 20th Century Fox. She was seldom loaned out. My guess is that Fox wanted someone from MGM for one of their films, so a trade was made.

The reason Van Johnson disappears for some of the movie is probably because MGM had him working on two films at the same time. This practice often happened when expensive stars were under contract and the studio was trying to get the most out of them financially. Since he was not really playing the lead in this one, then they could send him into the next soundstage to work on another picture

I like how you included the sailboats in your commentary. Nice! :)

• rayban likes this

#7 IanPatrickMovieReviews

IanPatrickMovieReviews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:40 PM

Get out the mashed potatoes and turkey! It's Thanksgiving time! What better classic movie is there to watch than "Plymouth Adventure?" 

I wish you all a wonderful Thanksgiving with your families or wherever you are! I know once I spent this holiday alone in Italy, and it was a bit sad...but we can all give thanks for everything we have! After all, we are all alive and hopefully well! 

I am thankful to all my viewers this year! You guys are the best!

• TopBilled likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Plymouth Adventure, 1952, Movie Review, Thanksgiving, Spencer Tracy, Van Johnson, Gene Tierney, Leo Genn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users