We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Gay joking in straight classics

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:39 AM

In Hitchcok's "Shadow of a Doubt"- Herbie ( Hume Cronyn) lives with his mother and has a bromance with the father ( Henry Travers)  I wonder if he was created by gay writer Thorton Wilder?

Sounds like a good probability.

• jaragon likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#2 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:07 AM

In Hitchcok's "Shadow of a Doubt"- Herbie ( Hume Cronyn) lives with his mother and has a bromance with the father ( Henry Travers)  I wonder if he was created by gay writer Thorton Wilder?

• rayban likes this

#3 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:39 PM

Is the character of Handel Fain, the part that Esme Percy plays in "Murder", meant to be a half-cast transvestite who has somehow captured the love of a young woman?

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#4 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:49 PM

Is Lovett( Edward Everet Horton)  in "Lost Horizon" gay or just gay coded? By the way I found the film boring specially once they get to Shagri -La and I don't blame George ( John Howard) for wanting to get back to civilization. 

• rayban likes this

#5 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:48 PM

There was a very amusing vignette in "Dancing Lady" with Joan Crawford and Clark Gable -

Sterling Hollloway was playing an obviously gay playwright, who was very emotional over the fact that his producers didn't like his book to the musical that was in the process of being rehearsed -

Sterling Holloway looked like he might explode at any second from the sheer stress of it all -

unfortunately, Clark Gable's character, the director, ended it all on a very sour note -

"We had a cousin like you.  We took him out and shot him."

I do wonder, however, if Clark Gable could have refused to say that line.

It is ssoo homophobic

It would depend on how he said the line

• rayban likes this

#6 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:41 AM

There was a very amusing vignette in "Dancing Lady" with Joan Crawford and Clark Gable -

Sterling Hollloway was playing an obviously gay playwright, who was very emotional over the fact that his producers didn't like his book to the musical that was in the process of being rehearsed -

Sterling Holloway looked like he might explode at any second from the sheer stress of it all -

unfortunately, Clark Gable's character, the director, ended it all on a very sour note -

"We had a cousin like you.  We took him out and shot him."

I do wonder, however, if Clark Gable could have refused to say that line.

It is ssoo homophobic.

• jaragon likes this

#7 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:56 AM

"Some Like It Hot" -

Joe E. Brown's lovable, elderly millionaire is so enamored of Jack Lemmon's Daphne - so willing to marry her with his mother's blessing - that he actually does not care that "Daphne" has been created by a man - and is a man - "Nobody's perfect", he says - the two of them are going to be a very loving couple, I think.

A perfect movie farce and that final line is still shockingly true.

• rayban likes this

#8 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:51 AM

"Some Like It Hot" -

Joe E. Brown's lovable, elderly millionaire is so enamored of Jack Lemmon's Daphne - so willing to marry her with his mother's blessing - that he actually does not care that "Daphne" has been created by a man - and is a man - "Nobody's perfect", he says - the two of them are going to be a very loving couple, I think.

• Jlewis, TopBilled and jaragon like this

#9 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:07 PM

Interesting perspective on AUNTIE MAME. The movie is very (unintentionally) gay friendly but the original novel was not.

http://everydayheter...y-escapade.html

• rayban likes this

#10 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:51 PM

Is the little boy Patrick in the film version of "Auntie Mame" meant to be gay?

He does seem to be a rather refined-looking little boy.

And he is far too-loving for such a little boy.

Of course, he does grow up to be Roger Smith, who likes girls, marries and has a child of his own.

But the whole film has a barely-concealed gay sensibility.

You remember when Little Patrick was taking notes with his notepad during his first party and asked her what "heterosexual" meant? She was quick to grab his notes.

Too bad Dwight Babcock was so furious about Little Patrick learning about gentlemen fishes doing what they are supposed to do with lady fish eggs that he was yanked out of school.

First Mame, then Dwight are concerned that Little Patrick might wind up... straight.

Ooooohhhh Auntie Mame. How I love that film. She and Beauregard Jackson Pickett Burnside sure had a weird relationship. She claims she married him for love, but there wasn't a whole lotta lovin' going on despite Norah Muldoon saying she's a "lovin' woman... if odd". Instead lots and lots of sight seeing on camels.

When Brian O'Banyon tried to make hot love with her later, she had to fight him off. She then made sure he was passed off onto Agnes Gooch who wound up "on the nest" instead. (Agnes gets into heterosexual "trouble" with Brian after Mame has her "coming out"... a clever play in words for the post gay liberation audience.)

• rayban likes this

#11 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:23 PM

Ben and Josh bromance in "Pearl Harbor" was a bit too obivoushttps://youtu.be/25uqLSVRNzM

• jaragon and rayban like this

#12 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 12:41 PM

Rayban, that's an interesting concept about the child Patrick.  It certainly is easy to imagine.

#13 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:34 AM

Of course, he does grow up to be Roger Smith, who likes girls, marries and has a child of his own.

But the whole film has a barely-concealed gay sensibilit

If they remade this now- would Patrick comes to his senses and end up with some cute guy instead of that snooty girl? 

• rayban likes this

#14 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 03:41 PM

But the whole film has a barely-concealed gay sensibility.

• jaragon likes this

#15 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:30 PM

Interesting...

Was Dr. No a gay man?

Joseph Wiseman's riveting performance suggests a monomanical madman with a great deal of suppressed homosexuality.

And his lifestyle on Crab Island is certainly that of a gay man.

In the dinner party scene, Dr. No can't get rid of Honey Badger fast enough - and then he tells his henchmen to "soften" James Bond up.

What other assaults on Mr. Bond's masculinity did he intend?

It's a tantalizing thought.

Dr.%2BNo.png

I was just watching this and yes Dr No might have been gay-( or at least bi curious)  even before the dinner scene- he sneaks into Bond's room and ogles the sleeping agent ( perhaps he was having a flash back to scene in which the tarantula crawls over Connery's perfect chest) - after he suggest his henchmen "soften" Bond up- James wakes up face down on the cell?! ( Hmm I wonder what kind of treatment he got from the henchmen)  T

• rayban likes this

#16 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:30 PM

Pepe Le Moko hoping that his beloved Pierrot (who is dying) will shoot the snitch who caused him his life - this kind of charged drama just doesn't happen that often on the screen - love, death, retribution all rolled into one multi-layered incident in the lives of two close friends -

400px-Algiers_2.jpg

• TopBilled likes this

#17 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:05 PM

It might just be dramatic irony, which in turn seems like a twisted joke.

You got it, Jarrod, I couldn't have said it better.

• TopBilled likes this

#18 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:10 PM

In "Algiers", Charles Boyer as Pepe Le Moko seems quite torn between "the man in his life", Pierrot (who is played by Johnny Downs) and "the lady in his life", Gaby (who is played by Hedy Lamarr).

Is it some sort of dark, dark joke that Pepe Le Moko loses both of them?

It might just be dramatic irony, which in turn seems like a twisted joke.

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#19 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 12:39 PM

In "Algiers", Charles Boyer as Pepe Le Moko seems quite torn between "the man in his life", Pierrot (who is played by Johnny Downs) and "the lady in his life", Gaby (who is played by Hedy Lamarr).

Is it some sort of dark, dark joke that Pepe Le Moko loses both of them?

In other words, stray if you will - a younger man, a lady about to be married - but you will pay a high, high price.

#20 bogeyboy

bogeyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 01:09 PM

Montgomery Clift and John Ireland talking about their "guns" in "Red River"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users