We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

"The Last of the Mohicans" 1936 Video Movie Review - Happy Thanksgiving!

The Last of the Mohicans 1936 Movie Review Randolph Scott Thanksgiving

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,899 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:33 AM

When someone uploads a video to YouTube, you are given 3 thumbnail options for your video...from the start, middle, and end. I try to not choose the 3rd thumbnail because it gives away the rating, but the 1st and 2nd thumbnails were just terrible choices for this video LOL I think they were blurry and me looking totally away from the camera...I never opt with the blurry ones.

Makes sense. Thanks for explaining. Actually I think it's good to see your rating up front, because it made me want to watch your review to see why you gave it three stars. And that sort of thinking would apply to something you've rated higher or lower. 

• IanPatrickMovieReviews likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 IanPatrickMovieReviews

IanPatrickMovieReviews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 01:14 AM

Yes...I thought it was interesting that we could see your rating before playing the video. Is that something new you are doing? If I remember correctly, in previous videos, your rating did not appear on screen until you mentioned it within the raview.

When someone uploads a video to YouTube, you are given 3 thumbnail options for your video...from the start, middle, and end. I try to not choose the 3rd thumbnail because it gives away the rating, but the 1st and 2nd thumbnails were just terrible choices for this video LOL I think they were blurry and me looking totally away from the camera...I never opt with the blurry ones.

• TopBilled likes this

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,899 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 05:05 AM

I felt the film was too long because I found myself ready for the film to end earlier than it did LOL Once Magua was killed, I thought it would end there like in the Daniel Day Lewis one...but it went on to even show that Hawkeye was getting enlisted in the British military. Regarding the script, it didn't make me really think at all (like blockbusters we have today in theaters)...nothing was too deep which gave the movie that "cowboys and Indians" feeling at times. Overall, I liked it quite a bit and the actors...3 stars is pretty good!

Yes...I thought it was interesting that we could see your rating before playing the video. Is that something new you are doing? If I remember correctly, in previous videos, your rating did not appear on screen until you mentioned it within the raview.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 IanPatrickMovieReviews

IanPatrickMovieReviews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 01:36 AM

Why did you feel the film was too long and could have been shorter? And why was the script a bit shaky? What did you mean by that?

I felt the film was too long because I found myself ready for the film to end earlier than it did LOL Once Magua was killed, I thought it would end there like in the Daniel Day Lewis one...but it went on to even show that Hawkeye was getting enlisted in the British military. Regarding the script, it didn't make me really think at all (like blockbusters we have today in theaters)...nothing was too deep which gave the movie that "cowboys and Indians" feeling at times. Overall, I liked it quite a bit and the actors...3 stars is pretty good!

• TopBilled likes this

#5 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,899 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 07:32 PM

Some comments--

Yes, save the Pilgrim hat for next year...and I am sure you will have a Santa's get-up in December, right?

Watching your review reminded me of a great television series from the 90s called Hawkeye, starring Lee Horseley which is set in the same place and time period (but filmed on location in Canada). I highly recommend it, if you love these kinds of stories.

Why did you feel the film was too long and could have been shorter? And why was the script a bit shaky? What did you mean by that?

Maybe producer Edward Small felt rewrites were necessary if the picture was going to appeal to the widest possible audience. He might have felt when they got in front of the cameras, that it was too "literary" and needed more action for mainstream movie audiences. I am only speculating, but I am sure he had a reason for bringing other writers in to rework the story. It would be interesting to read Dunne's original script. 

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,899 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 05:15 PM

I will look at your review this evening or tomorrow...I haven't forgotten you posted it! :)

#7 IanPatrickMovieReviews

IanPatrickMovieReviews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:13 PM

Another great Thanksgiving movie that shows how the frontiersmen and Native Americans worked together to make our country great! 

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I love you all and welcome everyone who is to new to the channel! Turkey time!

• TopBilled likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: The Last of the Mohicans, 1936, Movie Review, Randolph Scott, Thanksgiving

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users