We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

"The Bishop's Wife" 1947 Video Movie Review - More Christmas Angels!

The Bishops Wife 1947 Movie Review Cary Grant Loretta Young David Niven Christmas

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,182 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 02:12 PM

Something I wanted to add about this film is its release date. Often we associate certain films with certain holidays, but for original audiences back in the day, the film may not have had such a connotation. 

For example, THE BISHOP'S WIFE premiered in December in New York (probably to qualify it for the Oscars)..but it did not get a national release until mid-February. I am sure it did not stay in theaters until the following December. So for most people who saw it during its initial run, it was not a Christmas film at all. That tradition probably didn't develop until THE BISHOP'S WIFE showed up on television in the late 50s or early 60s.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,182 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:07 PM

Some comments--

Loretta Young had worked with many of these people in other hit films.

Though you say she was annoyed with Cary's on-set antics during the making of THE BISHOP'S WIFE, they had previously costarred together in the precode drama BORN TO BE BAD. She did several films with David Niven (five of them between 1938 and 1947). And she worked with Elsa Lanchester in another feel-good drama from around this time, COME TO THE STABLE. Incidentally, Koster was also the director of COME TO THE STABLE.

This was made during the period in which Koster was in-between studios. He had finished a lengthy run at Universal, mostly directing Deanna Durbin musicals. He would head to MGM for awhile to work with musical producer Joe Pasternak, but then eventually settle in at Fox. And you did mention some of the Fox classics he helmed in the 50s. 

I think one of the reasons Cary was upset about not being able to perform the ice-skating scene without a double is because he was very athletic. Also, he had begun his career doing trapeze work in a traveling show back in his native Britain. So he liked showing off his skills this way. My guess is Cary figured he could learn the moves on ice, and likely he could have, but probably Goldwyn objected to this for insurance reasons. He did not need an irreplaceable leading man getting injured and halting production. As you indicated earlier in your review, Goldwyn had already spent a lot of money when he switched directors and recast some of the main roles. And he could not afford any more cost overruns.

Plus I think it's fair to say that Goldwyn and Cary were embroiled in a power struggle. This is the only time Cary worked for Goldwyn.

• IanPatrickMovieReviews likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,182 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:50 PM

I just realised I haven't watched this video yet! I will try to get to it this afternoon...

#4 IanPatrickMovieReviews

IanPatrickMovieReviews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:28 PM

I'm kicking off my first Christmas special with "The Bishop's Wife." It's a great movie to get us all in the Christmas spirit! My review is a bit long, but this movie has so many interesting stories behind it! 

Did you think Cary Grant was better suited to play the angel or the bishop? 
Christmas movies all month! Get out the eggnog :3

• TopBilled likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: The Bishops Wife, 1947, Movie Review, Cary Grant, Loretta Young, David Niven, Christmas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users