We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

"A Christmas Carol" 1951 Video Movie Review - Humbug!

A Christmas Carol Scrooge 1951 Movie Review Alastair Sim

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,948 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 07:04 PM

Regarding the Ghost of Christmas yet to come...that's just how I feel personally. Growing up, I remember being scared of that ghost (as Scrooge is) and I wasn't scared of the ghost in this version. 

I think that's it-- the truth is in what you just said-- you were looking at it with the eyes of a child before. But now you are watching it as an adult. In an adult world, transformation itself is the scary thing, not outward apparitions. 

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 IanPatrickMovieReviews

IanPatrickMovieReviews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:55 PM

Some comments--

Your entire review is one big spoiler. LOL But that's okay, because as you say, most are already familiar with the basic plot.

I agree that Sim plays Ebenezer to a tee. I think he goes deeper with the role than other actors. Maybe that's because with the backstory more developed, this script allows him to go deeper. 

Sim had a prolific career on stage and in films. He played all kinds of roles. Some of his comic parts are almost better than him reciting all this humbug. You should check out a few of his other films.

I don't know if the Ghost of Christmas Future needs to be as scary as you seem to want him to be. This is not a horror film, and in fact, I think some other versions go too far with the grim aspects of the Future. This production veers from going overboard. Plus if you think about it, he has already begun experiencing an epiphany in the other two vignettes, so his future is looking a bit brighter now, not so horrific. 

ahaha I didn't even think about spoilers with this review. I feel like anyone searching for a review on the movie is already aware of the story. It's like me spoiling that the Titanic sank lol (common knowledge). Regarding the Ghost of Christmas yet to come...that's just how I feel personally. Growing up, I remember being scared of that ghost (as Scrooge is) and I wasn't scared of the ghost in this version. It's not a horror movie but it can still have some scares in it (it IS a movie with ghosts after all). That was pretty much my only complaint with the movie.

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,948 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:33 PM

Some comments--

Your entire review is one big spoiler. LOL But that's okay, because as you say, most are already familiar with the basic plot.

I agree that Sim plays Ebenezer to a tee. I think he goes deeper with the role than other actors. Maybe that's because with the backstory more developed, this script allows him to go deeper. 

Sim had a prolific career on stage and in films. He played all kinds of roles. Some of his comic parts are almost better than him reciting all this humbug. You should check out a few of his other films.

I don't know if the Ghost of Christmas Future needs to be as scary as you seem to want him to be. This is not a horror film, and in fact, I think some other versions go too far with the grim aspects of the Future. This production veers from going overboard. Plus if you think about it, he has already begun experiencing an epiphany in the other two vignettes, so his future is looking a bit brighter now, not so horrific. 

• IanPatrickMovieReviews likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 IanPatrickMovieReviews

IanPatrickMovieReviews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 04:41 PM

Definitely the best movie version of "A Christmas Carol." Alastair Sim gives it his all as Ebenezer Scrooge! 

This is a must watch for the Christmas season! I hope you all enjoyed my review, be sure to leave a like and subscribe for more reviews :3

I'll be reviewing two other film adaptations of "A Christmas Carol" so keep your eyes open for that!

• TopBilled likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Christmas Carol, Scrooge, 1951, Movie Review, Alastair Sim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users