We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

"I'll Be Seeing You" 1944 Video Movie Review - Beautiful 4 Star Holiday Movie!

Ill Be Seeing You 1944 Joseph Cotten Ginger Rogers Movie Review

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 06:37 PM

This one is a really beautiful film - about a man and a woman who are "at bay" in their lives - not really knowing where they are - and with very real problems, too - it is almost non-dramatic in terms of being "naturalistic" - it builds itself on blocks of atmosphere and mood.

• TopBilled and IanPatrickMovieReviews like this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#2 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,921 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:45 AM

Someone else created a thread about this film in the General Discussion forum when it aired on TCM on December 18th.

http://forums.tcm.co...-be-seeing-you/

This is what I posted over there:

Ian Patrick reviewed this film on his thread in the Romance genre sub-forum. He gave it four stars and really liked it. If you check Maltin's review, he bashes the picture rather cold-heartedly (is there any other way to bash something?).

I think because Shirley did not do well at test screenings they changed the ending. Probably she was supposed to tell the soldier about Mary's secret out of malice-- but instead it was reworked as a teenaged blunder and she was then made to be contrite in her final scene, in order to mete out the proper penance. 

In a way, the part where we focus on Shirley, while Ginger's face is buried in a pillow, takes the story off-center. We don't really get a scene with Ginger leaving the house, so Spring Byington and Tom Tully's characters are just sidelined completely, as the focus is all on Shirley in that last-minute bedroom scene. Ginger was not pleased with Selznick's preoccupation with how Temple was presented, and she never worked with the producer again. 

• IanPatrickMovieReviews likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,921 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:01 PM

Some comments--

Dieterle and Cotten were both under contract to Selznick. This was the only film Ginger Rogers did for Selznick. From what I read, Ginger had some arguments with the producer about the way her character was presented in the story.

Ginger had recently left home studio RKO, had a multi-picture deal at Paramount and was doing this project with Selznick's independent production company. The greatest source of contention was that Ginger was afraid Shirley Temple, a Selznick contract player at this point, would be favored with carefully lit and photographed close-ups in their scenes together. Ginger was pretty competitive when it came to her scenes and fiercely guarded her top-billing. Selznick had to reassure Ginger that she was indeed the star and that Shirley was supporting the leads. And it's interesting to note that up until this time, Shirley had usually been the lead star in all her films. 

Maltin bashes the film in his review..he calls it 'Overblown David Selznick schmaltz.' 

I think this was one of the first films that tackled the very real issue of post-traumatic stress disorder, experienced by soldiers.

I'LL BE SEEING YOU is airing tomorrow night on TCM, December 18th.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,921 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:42 AM

Okay, my goal is to get to this one later in the morning...better late than never, right? I need to buy a hat like yours! :)

#5 IanPatrickMovieReviews

IanPatrickMovieReviews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:49 PM

Wow...just wow, guys! This movie completely blew me away! It is definitely one of my favorite movies now. Please watch this movie if you haven't!

I'm so happy I saw this at Christmas time...such a special movie, and I'm very thankful that I was able to watch it. It's perfect to watch at Christmas and New Year's. Enjoy the review and be sure to subscribe to me on YouTube for more reviews!

• TopBilled likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ill Be Seeing You, 1944, Joseph Cotten, Ginger Rogers, Movie Review

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users