We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Merle Oberon as SOTM March 2016

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 GregoryPeckfan

GregoryPeckfan

Movie Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts
  • LocationCanada - where we have free press

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:08 PM

I have been really enjoying this month.  I have seen some movies I have never seen and some are still recorded yet to be seen for the first time.

Others are old favourites of mine like what I am watching now:  HOTEL.

It is campy disaster, but fun. I have read the book.

Peter Fonda and Gregory Peck are my heroes.

#2 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 05 March 2016 - 07:08 PM

Rbt. Osborne article on Merle Oberon...

http://www.tcm.com/t...rle-Oberon.html

I guess that when job cuts were made at TCM, the first people to go were the copyeditors. The first word of Osborne's article is misspelled -- 'one' instead of the intended 'once' -- a somewhat appalling error.

#3 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,799 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 06:58 PM

Rbt. Osborne article on Merle Oberon...

http://www.tcm.com/t...rle-Oberon.html

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#4 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,231 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:19 AM

Mr. Gorman--Yes, I saw "Interval" (1973?) when I was in college, a few decades ago.  Boring film, awful music--only question it raised was how many face lifts Did Oberon have??

Yes, you're right--Robert Wolders was married to Merle Oberon from 1973 till she died in 1979.  He then became Audrey Hepburns' companion till she died in 1993.  After A. Hepburn died in 1993, Wolders was also involved with Leslie Caron.

Sources: Wikipedia and my memory.

#5 GregoryPeckfan

GregoryPeckfan

Movie Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:15 PM

Thanks James for the confirmation of what I suspected.  I think I'll skip that one then.

#6 Mr. Gorman

Mr. Gorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts
  • Locationstate of GA

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:52 PM

I was kinda hoping to see one of the other 3 movies she made in with Charles Korvin.  "Berlin Express" (1948) is on the schedule and while I do intend to watch it I have seen it once before.  Would've been groovy if "This Love of Ours" (1945) -or- "Temptation" (1946) was on the docket for March.

SIDE THOUGHT:  I think "Berlin Express" (1948) -and- "Foreign Affair, A" (1948) would make a dandy Double Feature.    

Has anyone else seen Merle's last movie 'INTERVAL' (1973-Mexican)?  Co-starred Robert Wolders; the movie was about a May-December romance.  I do believe Merle married Robert Wolders in real-life, but I could be wrong. 

• film lover 293 likes this

#7 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,560 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:18 PM

In looking at the first night of her films to see if I needed to record anything overnight that I have never seen, I noticed that the first title listed is These Three ad that it sounds a lot like the later film The Children's Hour.

Could someone tell me if it is an earlier version?

I hated The Children's Hour and don't want to watch anything with malicious children in it.  I knew enough malicious children and teens when I was that age.  And I only saw the other movie after James Garner died as part of  tribute to him.

Thanks in advance.

Yes,  These Three is based on the same play but in the 30s version the rumor is that the man is having relations with the two school teachers.

Still has the malicious children (one played very well by Bonita Granville).

• kingrat, film lover 293 and GregoryPeckfan like this

#8 GregoryPeckfan

GregoryPeckfan

Movie Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:04 PM

In looking at the first night of her films to see if I needed to record anything overnight that I have never seen, I noticed that the first title listed is These Three ad that it sounds a lot like the later film The Children's Hour.

Could someone tell me if it is an earlier version?

I hated The Children's Hour and don't want to watch anything with malicious children in it.  I knew enough malicious children and teens when I was that age.  And I only saw the other movie after James Garner died as part of  tribute to him.

Thanks in advance.

#9 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,799 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:00 PM

"Many thanks to Oh Wonder for sharing the song "Technicolour Beat" with us. Visit http://myt.cm/Schedule to see our schedule for March"

• GregoryPeckfan likes this

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#10 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,231 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 11:55 AM

TikiSoo: As to Oberon's parentage:

She was Definitely born in Bombay, British India, in 1911.  She May have been part Eurasian:  there is an article about her on Wikipedia, which blows the "facts" I thought I knew about her early life from Charles Highams' biography all to  ****.  Read  the Wiki article, then research from there--there is a long list of sources. 

As to grouping--All I can Guess is, TCM wanted to start off with a bang, so they selected "These Three" (1936) to be the first film shown; it's possibly her best performance.

The final weekend--Oberon seem to be merely another name to sell those films (excepting 1954's "Desiree", where she gives the films' best performance as an affecting Josephine  to  Marlon Brando's mumbling Napoleon & Jean Simmons' scheming Desiree.)

#11 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 22 December 2015 - 07:20 AM

Thanks for that list, Barton!

I first saw Oberon as a kid (I think DIVORCE OF LADY X) and was instantly smitten with her gorgeous face. My Mom told me she was half East Indian (true?) which started my interest in "exotic" films genre all the way up to Bollywood.

Why aren't these films shown chronologically? Are they grouped by studio or subject matter?

#12 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,231 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:25 AM

Veering off topic--I have spotted four stars & Gene Kellys' brother in the "It" number & the woman who played the Pola Negri  (Vamp) type in Singin' in the Rain (1952)--help, please, in verifying two of the appearances & finding one (the others I'm 75% to 95% sure of):

The tall woman who looks the Pola Negri type (Vamp, all dressed in black satin & a thing with black feathers on her head) who reclines on an orange 20's style couch played the same role in SITR.

The man in orange & white stripes who dances with her is Fred Kelly, Gene Kellys' brother.  Earlier in the film, the two sang & danced to "I Love to Go Swimmin With Wimmen" (I forget what Romberg show that's from.)

Gene Kelly is the extra who takes Ann Millers orange coat & sits on a stool by the bar and Ann Miller drapes her rattling pearls around him in mid-number.

IMDB says Russ Tamblyn is in this number--I think he's the football player in the purple jersey with the # 35 on it--opinions?

The girl in the whitish dress with a big red bow in her hair & red stripe around her skirt I Think is Rita Moreno--opinions?

I Think Donald O'Connor is one of the tall extras waving a mini football flag--can't be sure--opinions?

This song is a mini Singin' in the Rain reunion, LOL.

Thanks in advance for replies. :)

• kingrat and TopBilled like this

#13 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:36 PM

Sorry but I don't have SUTS data,  but I would assume she has been featured as part of SUTS (since there are so many more of those per year).

The only reason I can think for why she has not (yet) been selected as SOTM is because she starred in B films at Columbia and played second leads in A films at MGM. So maybe she is not enough of a "big star" for the honor...? But her filmography is strong and much of her work is in the TCM library, so it would be easy for them to do.

P.S. -- I just checked and Ann Miller was a SUTS honoree only once, back in 2007.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#14 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,560 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:18 PM

You're kidding. I thought she was once, in the 90s or early 2000s. She was a friend of TCM, so that seems shocking. 

Has she had a Summer Under the Stars tribute?

Sorry but I don't have SUTS data,  but I would assume she has been featured as part of SUTS (since there are so many more of those per year).

#15 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:00 PM

My records of SOTM indicate that Ann Miller has never been SOTM.     

You're kidding. I thought she was once, in the 90s or early 2000s. She was a friend of TCM, so that seems shocking. 

Has she had a Summer Under the Stars tribute?

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#16 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,560 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:51 PM

I'm surprised they haven't had Ann Miller as Star of the Month again. It's been awhile...and she's so good.

My records of SOTM indicate that Ann Miller has never been SOTM.     

#17 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:40 PM

My favorite number from "Deep in My Heart (1954); Ann Millers' frenetic Charleston to "It"

I'm surprised they haven't had Ann Miller as Star of the Month again. It's been awhile...and she's so good.

• film lover 293 likes this

#18 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,231 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:37 PM

My favorite number from "Deep in My Heart (1954); Ann Millers' frenetic Charleston to "It":

#19 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:52 AM

I agree.  Nice varied list of films from a fine beauty and a competent actress.  

THE LODGER (a remake of an earlier British Hitchcock film) is a good selection. In fact, there are a lot of good selections here. I am glad they left off some of her later films, which are pretty horrid and do not showcase her at her best. 

This said, there are some earlier British releases they could have included. She's perfectly charming with Roland Young in a comedy called WEDDING REHEARSAL. And people on the message boards have been asking to see DARK WATERS, a gothic melodrama she made in the 40s. It would have been nice if this tribute could have brought us at least one or two premieres of her films. 

• jamesjazzguitar likes this

#20 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,560 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:27 PM

Thanks Barton for your thorough original post. 

She's a wonderful choice. I'm glad the one with Chevalier is airing again. It popped up for Oscar month a few years ago. It also has Ann Sothern in it. 

I agree.  Nice varied list of films from a fine beauty and a competent actress.  

I have seen FOLIES BERGERE DE PARIS and it is a fun comedy with Sothern and Eric Blore providing great support.  

• TopBilled likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users