We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Film You Tried to Watch but Couldn't Get Into It?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 LuCee

LuCee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:10 PM

Kurosawa movies, er ... films. I've tried. But no can do.

#2 bob58jf

bob58jf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAltamonte Springs, FL

Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:33 AM

Hands down for me it is FIddler on the Roof.  I have tried on two different occasions to watch this film. The character Tevye becomes so annoying that my interest ends. 

#3 Mr. Gorman

Mr. Gorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts
  • Locationstate of GA

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:10 AM

When I think of 'THE FORTUNE COOKIE' I think of the movie firmly as a Comedy-Drama.  It seems to have been marketed as a comedy alone.  And it's not.  I'd opine that Billy Wilder's 1981 movie BUDDY, BUDDY is a comedy and his 1974 remake of 'THE FRONT PAGE' is a comedy.  Very little in the way of dramatics in either of those.  Not so with THE FORTUNE COOKIE where there's a number of dramatic moments.  I've seen THE APARTMENT twice and that's more of a comedy even with its dramatic moments than THE FORTUNE COOKIE.   

CatPeoplePerson → If you're a glutton for cinematic punishment try and watch the 1981 release SECOND-HAND HEARTS.  It's alleged to be a comedy.  If you found "The Fortune Cookie" unwatchable try giving "Second-Hand Hearts" a go.   

• film lover 293 likes this

#4 CatPeoplePerson

CatPeoplePerson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:45 AM

Gotta go with Billy Wilder's The Fortune Cookie. Critics say the comedy is deliciously black. I found it to be flat and repetitive and virtually unwatchable.

#5 Midge

Midge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:13 AM

Much as I enjoy comedy and am a fan of James Stewart, I just couldn't get into Harvey.

• TikiSoo likes this

#6 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:05 PM

I got nauseated with Jean-Luc Godard's Weekend. The traffic jam wreck is an impressive tracking shot, but the rest of the movie is just too angry and ugly. All of the animals slaughtered (goose and pig included) were so unnecessary. I can understand a slaughterhouse documentary like Blood of the Beasts (not that I can stomach it, but I am thankful it and others were made so that people don't assume their meat is just something in saran wrap), but what was the point killing innocent animals simply to explain your disgust with capitalism? (Surprisingly I was less bothered by the horse's death in Andrei Rublev maybe because you don't realize the horse is dying. Also that movie spared the cows by supplying special suits so they wouldn't literally burn.) Yes, I have seen The Rules of the Game and Walkabout but have avoided Apocalypse Now.

#7 starliteyes

starliteyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,577 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:21 PM

Chinatown.  Tried to watch it a couple of times, but just could not get into it.

#8 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:08 PM

THE MALTESE FALCON.  Tried, again, last night, to get engaged in it, but it just doesn't grab me.  I wish it did.  I always feel I SHOULD like it; but, I don't.  Every film isn't for everybody.

#9 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:35 PM

The best thing about BLOW UP is the Yardbirds.  I love seeing the youthful Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck and I love their music.  The rest of it, not so much.  Yeah, Val Lewton used wind earlier and better.  At least things happen when the wind is blowing in a Val Lewton movie rather than in BLOW UP.

Especially when they smash the guitar much as Jimi Hendrix and the Who a year later.

Blow Up and L'Avventura are two films that you generally don't like the first time you see them because you are expecting a straight forward mystery story with a satisfying ending and... surprise!

Yet both are highly entertaining when you watch them a second or third time because you finally "get the point". Everyday people are easily distracted in life and they lose out, particularly when it comes to carnal pursuits (either sex or collecting stupid propellers from antique shops). There is lots of whoopee going on in both movies, which is why a missing lady is never found in the sea and a corpse disappears in a park.

I love it that a photographer (David Hemmings) first tries to scam a lady (Vanessa Redgrave) because he took incriminating pictures of her having an "affair" in the park. Blackmail is part of his profession. Then, after blowing them up, he sees a man with a gun in the bushes and initially thinks he saved a man's life by interrupting the rendezvous. Only he didn't. There is a body that shows up in the other images. Then he returns to the park and finds a corpse. Only this time he forgets his camera! This guy was literally "glued" to his camera during the first half of the movie!

Note that he "made love" to a model with his camera early on. Later he "makes love" with two naked sex kittens without his camera. It is afterwards that he forgets his camera when he returns to the park and finds the corpse! He is camera-less the rest of the movie.

Adding to the fun, Vanessa's character re-appears as a phantom later and may quite possibly be involved in the murder as an accomplice... at least we suspect this, but aren't sure. (Echoes of Vertigo, another movie nobody feels neutral about here.)  Neither is he. In addition, he isn't getting help from his friends because they are too busy enjoying whoopee or getting high on pot. Even the model he used a camera to "make love to" earlier is occupied in Paris... only not geographic Paris. Just "far out" Paris in her brain.

I love the mime performers. So much symbolism there. They appear at the start just as we see Hemming's character intermingle as a scruffy factory worker before "transforming" into a high class photographer in his fancy set of wheels. Right away, you don't know what is real and what is just a mirage. The mimes re-appear at the end after he gets his camera but can no longer find the corpse. Thus, they play tennis with invisible balls... which seems down right silly until you realize this photographer forgot his camera when he needed it. So it makes perfect sense that he plays tennis with them with no tennis balls. Might as well enjoy your self like the Yardbirds performing with a broken guitar (a remnant of which winds up in a street and ignored by the people as trash).

#10 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:41 PM

Days of Heaven! Oh my gosh. That's 2-3 hours of my life I can never get back. I had read so much about the cinematography that I just had to see it and oh my goodness was I disappointed :(

Bit overdramatic there, SleepyDog?  DAYS OF HEAVEN only runs 1 hr 35 minutes -- I watched it when it was on recently.   

At least if you're going to use that now-irritating phrase "I can't get those 2-3 hours of my life back" use it for a movie that actually runs 120 minutes instead of 95.  :rolleyes:    

Maybe it just felt like 2-3 hours.

:)

• SleepyDogFilms likes this

#11 Mr. Gorman

Mr. Gorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts
  • Locationstate of GA

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:11 PM

Bit overdramatic there, SleepyDog?  DAYS OF HEAVEN only runs 1 hr 35 minutes -- I watched it when it was on recently.   

At least if you're going to use that now-irritating phrase "I can't get those 2-3 hours of my life back" use it for a movie that actually runs 120 minutes instead of 95.  :rolleyes:    

• SleepyDogFilms likes this

#12 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:57 PM

Blowup (1966).

Still don't know what the film was about.

However, I liked it when Vanessa Redgrave did those weird, jerky movements while listening to some jazz. She was so uncool and nerdy at that moment I found her rather endearing. (Reminded me a bit of myself out on the dance floor). Well, that's ten seconds that I liked in the film, anyway.

Okay, to be fair, I also found it intriguing when David Hemmings returned to the park where there had been a murder. There was an eeriness there (all that stillness, with only the sounds of the wind) that appealed to me, making me think of how much I like Val Lewton films.

I was just hoping, though, that it was all leading to something . . .

Maybe it did, but, whatever it was, I missed it.

Time for me to turn on Cat People or I Walked With A Zombie.

The best thing about BLOW UP is the Yardbirds.  I love seeing the youthful Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck and I love their music.  The rest of it, not so much.  Yeah, Val Lewton used wind earlier and better.  At least things happen when the wind is blowing in a Val Lewton movie rather than in BLOW UP.

#13 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,058 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:21 PM

It is quite long. But I thought that they did quite a good job despite all the production problems.

The funny thing is the film is about half as long as the director wanted.

#14 SleepyDogFilms

SleepyDogFilms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:26 PM

"Cleopatra" (1963).  A four hour movie, the first 1/3rd with Elizabeth Taylor & Rex Harrison is good;  but after Harrison's Julius Caesar is killed, film becomes a chore to stay awake through. Taylor is OK, but Burton is sleep inducing, for me.  I eventually got through the complete film (it was on two videocassettes), but film is deadly dull, overall.

It is quite long. But I thought that they did quite a good job despite all the production problems.

www.sleepydogfilmsusa.com

www.facebook.com/sleepydogfilmsusa

#15 SleepyDogFilms

SleepyDogFilms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:25 PM

Lawrence of Arabia. I watched maybe the first half hour and it just didn't grab me.

I love everything David Lean did, but I am totally exhausted at the end of Lawrence of Arabia.

#16 SleepyDogFilms

SleepyDogFilms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:24 PM

I really want to like Terrence Malick's films. In theory, they're just the kind of films I love -- leisurely, beautiful, carefully constructed, experimenting with technique, etc. -- but I have been unable to get into Days of Heaven or The Tree of Life. However, I loved The New World. That connected with me. But none of his other films have.

Days of Heaven! Oh my gosh. That's 2-3 hours of my life I can never get back. I had read so much about the cinematography that I just had to see it and oh my goodness was I disappointed :(

#17 SleepyDogFilms

SleepyDogFilms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:19 PM

'Out of Africa' (1985)

Tried several times because I'm a big Redford fan.

Mind kept wandering (or sleeping).

But I'll try again someday. Someday I'll get through that movie.

I can see why you would say that. Without the breathtaking score, I'm not sure if I could watch the film.

#18 SleepyDogFilms

SleepyDogFilms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:16 PM

On The Waterfront . I knew the fame of it, watched it, and sat there afterwards like...."Nope. No effect."

I wasnt really bored with it. I finished it. I just thought..."Ehh, it was ok."

I agree. After hearing so much about it, I just had to see it and at the end I felt like "that was it??"

#19 SleepyDogFilms

SleepyDogFilms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:15 PM

'Lord of the Rings'

The battle going on for 24/7 hours.

and also don't understand why hobbit received three movies.

but movie is better than reading book.

I completely agree and since I never read the books, I kept getting character and place names confused so I had no idea who was going where :)

#20 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:39 PM

Blowup (1966).

Still don't know what the film was about.

However, I liked it when Vanessa Redgrave did those weird, jerky movements while listening to some jazz. She was so uncool and nerdy at that moment I found her rather endearing. (Reminded me a bit of myself out on the dance floor). Well, that's ten seconds that I liked in the film, anyway.

Okay, to be fair, I also found it intriguing when David Hemmings returned to the park where there had been a murder. There was an eeriness there (all that stillness, with only the sounds of the wind) that appealed to me, making me think of how much I like Val Lewton films.

I was just hoping, though, that it was all leading to something . . .

Maybe it did, but, whatever it was, I missed it.

Time for me to turn on Cat People or I Walked With A Zombie.

I think it is a horribly dull picture.  I've never understood its status.  I can remember when the infinitely superior BLOW OUT was in theaters and reviewer after reviewer mentioned that it as an inferior homage to BLOW UP..  They're all nuts!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users