We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Top Ten Films of...

• Please log in to reply
2555 replies to this topic

#2521 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,809 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:48 PM

1932 Favorites

1932 gave us "Hot Voodoo," Hattie McDaniel knowing when a white man's browsing, "gooble-gobble, one of us," the first talkie featuring the San Francisco earthquake, and one of the most heartbreaking endings, ever; the college widow, "Throw me the life saver!," "Are we not men/the house of pain," "Isn't It Romantic" and one of the greatest scores written for film; Mata Machree, the hottest thing in old Klopstockia, "Woof bloogle gyk,""Do you have to open graves to find girls to fall in love with?," "Don't kill me, I'm a priestess of Isis! Save me from that mummy! It's dead!;" "No beds! They can't have beds!," "Have a potato;" "That's fine stuff, but it'll rot;" and last but not least, one of the early cinema's greatest tracking shots, culminating in the Pawadise cocktail.

Blonde Venus

Freaks

Frisco Jenny

Horse Feathers

Island of Lost Souls

Love Me Tonight

Million Dollar Legs

The Mummy

The Old Dark House

One Way Passage

• TopBilled, Bogie56 and LawrenceA like this

#2522 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,076 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 04:29 PM

The reason I have a runner-up list, called Honorable Mentions, is because sometimes my opinions on a film change and maybe something that was almost number ten will end up being more appreciated by me later on, and become number ten (or even number nine) if I change my mind about it. And of course, some films drop out of the top ten, when I realise I had a somewhat inflated view of them. :)

• LawrenceA likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2523 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,875 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:57 PM

My current choices for performances for 1932 are:

Best Actor

The Marx Brothers, Horse Feathers

Best Actress

Joan Crawford, Grand Hotel

Best Supporting Actor

W.C. Fields, If I Had a Million

Best Supporting Actress

Ann Dvorak, Scarface: The Shame of a Nation

In my 'best of world' I include established comedy teams.

• LawrenceA likes this

#2524 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Grump

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,690 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:50 PM

I forgot to mention your runner-up list...AIR MAIL I don't know, but I've seen and liked the rest, especially TROUBLE IN PARADISE.

#2525 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Grump

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,690 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:41 PM

For 1932 - 55 films seen.

1. Scarface: The Shame of a Nation
2. Shanghai Express
3. Horse Feathers
4. I am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang
5. Grand Hotel
6. Million Dollar Legs
7. Rain
8. If I Had a Million
9. Boudo Saved From Drowning
10. What Price Hollywood?

I have a long runner up list. Here are a few: Trouble In Paradise, Tarzan, the Ape Man, Island of Lost Souls, The Mummy, The Old Dark House, One Hour With You and Air Mail.

I haven't seen Fanny yet but have a copy.

If I had a runner-up list, SHANGHAI EXPRESS, GRAND HOTEL and BOUDU SAVED FROM DROWNING would be on it. I haven't seen WHAT PRICE HOLLYWOOD, but know what it is. I'm unfamiliar with MILLION DOLLAR LEGS and IF I HAD A MILLION. RAIN I've seen, but it didn't do much for me. I liked the performances.

#2526 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,875 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:32 PM

For 1932 - 55 films seen.

1.  Scarface: The Shame of a Nation

2.  Shanghai Express

3.  Horse Feathers

4.  I am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang

5.  Grand Hotel

6.  Million Dollar Legs

7.  Rain

8.  If I Had a Million

9. Boudo Saved From Drowning

10. What Price Hollywood?

I have a long runner up list.  Here are a few: Trouble In Paradise, Tarzan, the Ape Man, Island of Lost Souls, The Mummy, The Old Dark House, One Hour With You and Air Mail.

I haven't seen Fanny yet but have a copy.

#2527 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,076 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:04 PM

TopBilled, you've listed several I haven't seen yet.

NOT SO DUMB
PAID
DOUGHBOYS
LADIES OF LEISURE
STREET SCENE
THE MIRACLE WOMAN

I've got a lot to catch up on.

NOT SO DUMB is one of Marion Davies' first talkies, and she's a lot of fun in it. LADIES OF LEISURE and THE MIRACLE WOMAN were breakthrough hits for Stanwyck, both directed by Frank Capra.

• LawrenceA likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2528 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Grump

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,690 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 02:33 PM

Well, as it is my own fantasy list I like to put people in the category by the size of the role not necessarily by star factor.  Though in this case, Karloff was not yet a star.
Colin Clive has the big part in the original.  Too bad there wasn't a supporting Oscar until 1936.

All too often these days we see the studios fiddling with the Support category to try to nab an Oscar for someone who really had a lease role.

I agree with your choice! I think a lot of people think Boris when they hear FRANKENSTEIN, but Clive was the lead. There's a long history of leads winning Supporting awards, and some, like Hopkins in SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, win the lead when they were only onscreen for 25+/- minutes.

#2529 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,875 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 13 December 2015 - 02:26 PM

Interesting that Boris is in the Supporting category. I agree he should have won. That performance has a lot of nuance.

Well, as it is my own fantasy list I like to put people in the category by the size of the role not necessarily by star factor.  Though in this case, Karloff was not yet a star.

Colin Clive has the big part in the original.  Too bad there wasn't a supporting Oscar until 1936.

All too often these days we see the studios fiddling with the Support category to try to nab an Oscar for someone who really had a leading role.  

• LawrenceA likes this

#2530 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,875 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 13 December 2015 - 02:23 PM

1932 - 70 films seen

1. I AM A FUGITIVE FROM A CHAIN GANG
2. ISLAND OF LOST SOULS
3. SCARFACE
4. FANNY
5. DR. JEKYLL & MR. HYDE
6. VAMPYR
7. HORSE FEATHERS
8. TARZAN, THE APE MAN
9. THE MUMMY
10. FREAKS

I know there's some discrepancy about the DR. JEKYLL...release date. I use the January 3rd 1932 date.

My choices ran pretty heavily to genre films this year.

Regarding the release date of Dr. Jekyll.  I'm on the fence with this one.  Often "premieres" are glorified private parties and not public events.  But who is to know?  It was obviously meant to kick off the release of the film as it came out hot on the heels of the premiere.  Unlike some other films where there is a Hollywood premiere/party and then the film comes out a few months later.

Any further thoughts on this?

#2531 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Grump

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,690 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 02:11 PM

TopBilled, you've listed several I haven't seen yet.

NOT SO DUMB
PAID
DOUGHBOYS
LADIES OF LEISURE
STREET SCENE
THE MIRACLE WOMAN

I've got a lot to catch up on.
  • TopBilled likes this

#2532 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Grump

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,690 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 02:08 PM

1932 - 70 films seen

1. I AM A FUGITIVE FROM A CHAIN GANG
2. ISLAND OF LOST SOULS
3. SCARFACE
4. FANNY
5. DR. JEKYLL & MR. HYDE
6. VAMPYR
7. HORSE FEATHERS
8. TARZAN, THE APE MAN
9. THE MUMMY
10. FREAKS

I know there's some discrepancy about the DR. JEKYLL...release date. I use the January 3rd 1932 date.

My choices ran pretty heavily to genre films this year.

#2533 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Grump

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,690 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:59 PM

If I might add my current choices for performances for 1931 they would be:

Best Actor

Peter Lorre, M

Best Actress

Helen Hayes, The Sin of Madelon Claudet

Best Supporting Actor

Boris Karloff, Frankenstein

Best Supporting Actress

Helen Hayes, Arrowsmith

Interesting that Boris is in the Supporting category. I agree he should have won. That performance has a lot of nuance.

#2534 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,076 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:31 AM

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-12-13%2Bat%2B9.25.1

My list:

1. THE PUBLIC ENEMY
2. DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE
3. CIMARRON
4. A FREE SOUL
5. FRANKENSTEIN
6. THE CHAMP
7. STREET SCENE
8. THE MIRACLE WOMAN
9. FIVE STAR FINAL
10. THE SIN OF MADELON CLAUDET

Honorable Mentions: DRACULA; MONKEY BUSINESS; PLATINUM BLONDE; PRIVATE LIVES; and THE SMILING LIEUTENANT. 

I think the best performers of 1931 were James Cagney; Fredric March; Wallace Beery; Lionel Barrymore; and Helen Hayes.

• LawrenceA likes this

#2535 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,076 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:21 AM

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-12-13%2Bat%2B9.20.0

My list:

1. ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT
2. THE DIVORCEE
3. MIN AND BILL
4. THE BIG HOUSE
5. MONTE CARLO
6. NOT SO DUMB
7. MURDER!
8. PAID
9. DOUGHBOYS
10. LADIES OF LEISURE and MOROCCO (tie)

Honorable Mentions: MOBY DICK; JOURNEY'S END; MADAM SATAN; ANNA CHRISTIE; and THE BIG TRAIL. 

I think the best performers of 1930 were Lew Ayres; Marie Dressler; Wallace Beery; Marion Davies; and Barbara Stanwyck.

• LawrenceA likes this

#2536 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,809 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:43 AM

In looking at the IMDB lists for 1930 and 1931, I see so many films that I've never heard of and would love to see! Many of those that I do like have already been mentioned.

But for 1931, I would add director Archie Mayo's Svengali. That is one of my favorite films of 1931, in terms of performances, style (very expressionistic), and story. I find the ending quite moving, when Svengali (John Barrymore) triumphs in death, taking Trilby with him (taking her away from Bramwell Fletcher's insipid Little Billee. Fletcher's best role came the following year, when he laughed himself to death in The Mummy). The use of the song "Ben Bolt" makes it all the more haunting; and the presence of Paul Porcasi in the small role of the impresario/emcee, kicks it up another notch for me. Porcasi played similar roles in many early films, including 1930's Morocco and in Maytime (1937), another film with John Barrymore in a Svengali-type role.

• LawrenceA and film lover 293 like this

#2537 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,875 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:10 AM

If I might add my current choices for performances for 1931 they would be:

Best Actor

Peter Lorre, M

Best Actress

Helen Hayes, The Sin of Madelon Claudet

Best Supporting Actor

Boris Karloff, Frankenstein

Best Supporting Actress

Helen Hayes, Arrowsmith

#2538 FrankGrimes

FrankGrimes

Scott

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,863 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 13 December 2015 - 02:23 AM

The two lists that have been posted for 1931 show more depth than mine.  I like that.  Very nice lists.

1. M

2. Tabu: A Story of the South Seas

3. The Smiling Lieutenant

4. Frankenstein

5. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

6. Dracula

7. Dracula (Spanish)

8. Marius

9. Rich and Strange

10. The Public Enemy

11. Man of the World

12. Le Million

13. Smart Money

14. Blonde Crazy

15. Monkey Business

16. The Miracle Woman

17. The Road to Singapore

18. Millie

19. Strangers May Kiss

20. The Maltese Falcon

21. Trader Horn

22. The Front Page

23. Other Men's Women

24. The Man in Possession

25. The Black Camel

26. Five Star Final

27. Mata Hari

28. Eran Trece (Charlie Chan Carries On)

29. Little Caesar

30. Private Lives

31. A Free Soul

32. A Connecticut Yankee

33. Platinum Blonde

34. Night Nurse

35. Arrowsmith

36. Seas Beneath

37. The Skin Game

38. Safe in Hell

39. Fighting Caravans

40. City Streets

41. The Criminal Code

42. Bachelor Apartment

43. The Painted Desert

44. Cimarron

45. Illicit

46. Ambassador Bill

47. The Bad Sister

48. The Cheat

49. Shipmates

• Bogie56 and LawrenceA like this

#2539 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Grump

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,690 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:25 PM

I've not seen enough movies from each given year to make a list, and I don't keep very good track, on top of that... nevertheless, one film that would definitely make my list for 1930 (though it wasn't released until '37) is The Tale of The Fox. A funny and highly original French stop-motion (with puppets) animated film. I wish TCM would show it, because I've only watched it in episodes from YT, but even chopped-up and fuzzy-looking it still merits repeat viewings. The animation is very well-done and I've found that the story-telling aspect and energy was not compromised in the slightest.

That sounds interesting. Thanks for the heads up!

#2540 Kay

Kay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:17 PM

I've not seen enough movies from each given year to make a list, and I don't keep very good track, on top of that... nevertheless, one film that would definitely make my list for 1930 (though it wasn't released until '37) is The Tale of The Fox. A funny and highly original French stop-motion (with puppets) animated film. I wish TCM would show it, because I've only watched it in episodes from YT, but even chopped-up and fuzzy-looking it still merits repeat viewings. The animation is very well-done and I've found that the story-telling aspect and energy was not compromised in the slightest.

(Edit: I have found that there is a far, far better looking copy on YT now than the one I watched. Thank goodness!)

• LawrenceA likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users