We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Top Ten Films of...

• Please log in to reply
2681 replies to this topic

#21 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Cineaste

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,095 posts
  • LocationLook Out!

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:01 PM

TOP TEN FAVORITE MOVIES OF 2003

1)  Kill Bill, Vol. 1

2)  The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

3)  Oldboy

4)  The Last Samurai

5)  X-Men 2

6)  Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World

7)  21 Grams

8)  Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior

9)  Cold Mountain

10)  Lost in Translation

Runner-ups: The Best of YouthFinding Nemo*The Fog of War*, Spring Summer Fall Winter...and Spring, and Big Fish.

*This was such a lean year for movies that I really liked that I included an animated movie and a documentary in my runner-ups, even though I normally don't like to include them in my lists.

TOP TEN WORST OF 2003 (overall)

1)  The Room

2)  Sin Sisters

3)  DarkWolf

4)  Barely Legal Lesbian Vampires

5)  Blood of the Beast*

6)  Scarecrow Slayer

7)  Ancient Warriors

8)  Holla If I Kill You

9)  Terror at Baxter U

10)  Invitation

*This is the only movie on IMDb that lists my hometown as a filming location.

TOP TEN WORST OF 2003 (wide release)

1)  Marci X

2)  House of the Dead

3)  Kangaroo Jack

4)  Spy Kids 3: Game Over

5)  The Cat In the Hat

6)  Chasing Papi

7)  Hollywood Homicide

8)  Head of State

9)  Cold Creek Manor

10)  The Haunted Mansion

TOP TEN BOX OFFICE OF 2003

1)  The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

2)  Finding Nemo

3)  The Matrix Reloaded

4)  Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

5)  Bruce Almighty

6)  The Last Samurai

7)  Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

8)  The Matrix Revolutions

9)  X-Men 2

10)  Bad Boys II

• Bogie56, JamesStewartFan95 and KilgoreTrout like this

#22 KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:57 PM

The Best Films of 2002

1. Le Fils

2. Devils on the Doorstep

3. Adaptation

4. Talk to Her

5. Bowling for Columbine

6. Spirited Away

7. Gangs of New York

8. Igby Goes Down

9. Far from Heaven
10. Russian Ark

HM: Moonlight Mile, The Man from Elysian Fields, Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner, Late Marriage, Changing Lanes, Minority Report, The Rules of Attraction, Frailty, Femme Fatale, Sweet Sixteen, 13 Conversations About One Thing, All or Nothing, Intacto, 24 Hour Party People, Signs, Solaris, Narc, The Quiet American, Auto Focus, Better Luck Tomorrow, Int. Trailer - Night, An Evening with Kevin Smith, Lantana

Worst:

1.) Cabin Fever
2.) Enough
3.) Serving Sara
4.) The Sweetest Thing
5.) Rollerball
6.) Dragonfly
7.) My Big Fat Greek Wedding
8.) Blood Work
9.) Death to Smoochy
10.) Resident Evil

Dishonorable mention: Life or Something Like It, Poolhall Junkies, I Spy, Ghost Ship
  • Bogie56 and LawrenceA like this

#23 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

The Richest Man in Town

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:41 PM

I'm not familiar with Men with Brooms.

I'll cover it in more detail when we go over the Best of 2002 picks a couple weeks from now, but basically it's a Canadian comedy about the sport of curling.

• LawrenceA likes this

#24 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Cineaste

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,095 posts
  • LocationLook Out!

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:37 PM

24 Hour Party People

Men with Brooms

Bravo for mentioning 24 Hour Party People.

I'm not familiar with Men with Brooms.

• JamesStewartFan95 likes this

#25 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

The Richest Man in Town

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:32 PM

Top 10 2002

1. Adaptation

2. Far from Heaven

3. The Pianist

4. Spirited Away

5.Catch Me if You Can

6. Road to Perdition

7. City of God

8. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

9. Chicago

10. Frida

Honorable Mentions: 24 Hour Party People, Gangs of New York, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, The Hours, Insomnia, Lilo and Stitch, Men with Brooms, One Hour Photo

Guilty Pleasures: Treasure Planet

• LawrenceA likes this

#26 skimpole

skimpole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:56 PM

1. L.A. Confidential
  2. The Fifth Element
  3. Boogie Nights
  4. Kundun
  5. The Sweet Hereafter
  6. Mother and Son
  7. Taste of Cherry
  8. Lost Highway
  9. Princess Mononoke
  10. The Spanish Prisoner

Runner-ups:  Deconstructing Harry, The Game

1. Saving Private Ryan
  2. Lovers of the Arctic Circle
  3. Dark City
  4. The Thin Red Line
  5. Eternity and a Day
  6. Black Cat, White Cat
  7. Out of Sight
  8. The Flowers of Shanghai
  9. Rushmore
  10. After Life

Runner-up:  Beloved

1. Time Regained
  2. Magnolia
  3. South Park:  Bigger, Longer and Uncut
  4. The Matrix
  5. Toy Story 2
  6. Eyes Wide Shut
  7. The Ninth Gate
  8. Beau Travail
  9. Felicity’s Journey
  10. Rosetta

Runner-ups:  The End of the Affair, Fight Club, The Straight Story, The Wind Will Carry Us, Ghost Dog:  the Way of the Samurai, L'Humanitie

1. Requiem for a Dream
  2. Memento
  3. La Commune (Paris 1871)
  4. The Gleaners and I
  5. In the Mood for love
  6. Werckmeister Harmonies
  7. The Circle
  8. As I was Moving Ahead I Occasionally Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty
  9. The House of Mirth
  10. Yi Yi

Runner-ups:  Platform, Amores Perros, George Washington, High Fidelity, The Day I Became A Woman, Nine Queens

1. A.I.
  2. Mulholland Drive
  3. The Lord of the Rings:  the Fellowship of the Ring
  4. In the Bedroom
  5. Ghost World
  6. The Others
  7. Gosford Park
  8. Amelie
  9. The Royal Tenenbaums
  10. Fat Girl

Runner-ups:  In Praise of Love, La Cienaga, The Piano Teacher, Time Out, Atanarjuat

• LawrenceA and KilgoreTrout like this

#27 CinemaInternational

CinemaInternational

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:48 PM

2002, ah, I see a lot of kids films here, which makes sense at the time, even though most are disposable. Some good adult-oriented films make it a decent year, although not the match of 2001. Bear in mind also that ticket sales reached their modern-day peak (still only a fraction of classic-era attendance) in 2002. I have one 2002 film on tap for viewing soon, The Importance of Being Ernest.

1. Chicago
2. In America
3. About Schmidt
4. About a Boy
5. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
6. Unfaithful
7. Rabbit-Proof Fence
8. Adaptation.
9. Gangs of New York
10. The Pianist

Of Note: The Hours, Far from Heaven, Punch-Drunk Love, The Good Girl, The Emperor's Club, Russian Ark, Catch Me If You Can, The Quiet American, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Bend It Like Beckam, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Insomnia, Hollywood Ending, Whale Rider

Kids films of several classes: Excellent: The Cat Returns, Treasure Planet, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron Decent: Stuart Little 2, Ice Age Ho-hum: Lilo and Stitch Forgettable: Jonah, Return to Neverland

Um....:Sweet Home Alabama

Forgotten: The Rookie

What Exactly happened here?: Die Another Day

Stinky: The Country Bears
  • LawrenceA likes this

#28 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,787 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:38 PM

My Top Ten Films of 2002 

1.  Road to Perdition

2.  The Pianist

3.  Spider

4.  The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

5.  City of God

6.  Frida

7.  My Big Fat Greek Wedding

8.  Bowling For Columbine

9.  About Schmidt

10. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

• LawrenceA likes this

#29 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:19 PM

favorites of 2002

​Chicago

The Hours

​Catch Me if You Can

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

​The Importance of Being Earnest

The Pianist

​The Good Girl

Adaptation

• LawrenceA likes this

#30 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Cineaste

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,095 posts
  • LocationLook Out!

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:46 AM

TOP TEN FAVORITE MOVIES OF 2002  (259 titles seen)

1)  The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

2)  Bowling for Columbine

3)  The Pianist

4)  Adaptation

5)  Punch-Drunk Love

6)  The Bourne Identity

7)  Gangs of New York

8)  28 Days Later

9)  The Ring

10)  Russian Ark

Runner-ups:  The Twilight SamuraiAuto FocusBubba Ho-TepTalk to Her, and Public Enemy.

TEN WORST MOVIES OF 2002 (over all)

1)  My Little Eye

2)  Mummy Raider

3)  Terror Toons

4)  To Become One

5)  Reign In Darkness

6)  Last House on Hell Street

7)  Bikini Party Massacre

8)  A Candle In the Dark

9)  Insaniac

10)  The Bisbee Cannibal Club

TEN WORST MOVIES OF 2002 (wide release)

1)  Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever

2)  Feardotcom

3)  Rollerball

4)  Frank McKlusky, C. I.

5)  Austin Powers in Goldmember

6)  Extreme Ops

7)  Half Past Dead

8)  Halloween: Resurrection

9)  I Spy

10)  High Crimes

TOP TEN BOX OFFICE OF 2002

1)  The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

2)  Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

3)  Spider-Man

4)  Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

5)  Men in Black II

6)  Die Another Day

7)  Signs

8)  Ice Age

9)  My Big Fat Greek Wedding

10)  Minority Report

• skimpole and Bogie56 like this

#31 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Cineaste

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,095 posts
  • LocationLook Out!

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:57 AM

Is it okay if I post my 2002 picks yet, or should I wait a few days?

We usually wait until we are about to start the previous year's performances in the other thread. So 2002 lists next Thursday/Friday. This week was a bit premature because of the end of decade round-up in the performances.

#32 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

The Richest Man in Town

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:54 AM

Is it okay if I post my 2002 picks yet, or should I wait a few days?

#33 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Cineaste

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,095 posts
  • LocationLook Out!

Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:20 AM

2001 favorites

​Monsters Inc,

Gosford Park

​Legally Blonde

Oceans 11

​Bridget Jones Diary

Iris

​The Majestic

A Beautiful Mind

I like most of those. I haven't seen the previously mentioned Monsters Inc nor Legally Blonde. I enjoyed Iris and Bridget Jones.

The Majestic was my least favorite, but I didn't think it was awful. One thing I clearly recall was that it was released post 9/11, and they used the tragedy subtly in the advertising, saying that this was the movie America needs at this traumatic time. It was still a flop. Pre-9/11, it had been marketed as a funny, light Jim Carrey movie. After 9/11, it became this glowing piece of Americana with a slightly solemn halo about it.

#34 shutoo

shutoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:10 AM

2001 favorites

​Monsters Inc,

Gosford Park

​Legally Blonde

Oceans 11

​Bridget Jones Diary

Iris

​The Majestic

A Beautiful Mind

(pretty chick-flicky list :) )

• LawrenceA and JamesStewartFan95 like this

#35 KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:21 AM

The Best Films of 2001

1. In the Mood for Love
2. Domestic Violence
3. Waking Life
4. Mulholland Drive
5. In the Bedroom
6. The Princess and the Warrior
7. The Royal Tenenbaums
8. Vanilla Sky
9. What Time Is It There?
10. Memento

HM: Monster's Ball, Amores Perros, Ghost World, Black Hawk Down, The Man Who Wasn't There, The Grey Zone, Wit, Ocean's 11, Tape, Y Tu Mama Tambien, Dreamwork, Invincible, The Caveman's Valentine, Chingoo, A Huey P Newton Story, AI: Artificial Intelligence, Gosford Park, The Pledge

Worst:

1.) Freddy Got Fingered
2.) 3000 Miles to Graceland
3.) Pootie Tang
4.) What's the Worst That Could Happen?
5.) Don't Say a Word
6.) Pearl Harbor
7.) Scary Movie 2
8.) Joe Dirt
9.) Along Came a Spider
10.) I Am Sam
  • skimpole and LawrenceA like this

#36 CinemaInternational

CinemaInternational

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:33 PM

Did you see Up, and if so, did it live up to the hype?

Yes I did see Up, and it will be making the top 10 for 2009.

I was looking over all of my 2000-2009 choices, and I had to switch around my 2005 list, too, thanks to uncertain release dates. My 05 list is filled with genre/popcorn movies, like Batman BeginsSerenityV for VendettaSin City. But I also have more serious fare, like The Constant GardnerMatch PointBrokeback Mountain, and a couple that you mentioned, The New World and Munich. And one movie that I was surprised with how much I liked it, Hustle & Flow. I won't say which one made my #1 spot till we get to that point in a few weeks, but I will say that one of the posters said that he felt it was one of the worst movies he ever saw in the theater!

Mm, yes, Munich and The New World, I will make a point to see very soon in time for the poll. Constant Gardener and Match Point will be on my list as well.
  • JamesStewartFan95 likes this

#37 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

The Richest Man in Town

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:28 PM

I was just looking over what 2009 films I have seen, and what I see isn't pretty. I only have seen a small smattering , and I don't really have a really strong attachment to many of the year's better ventures. I'd say Fantastic Mr. Fox was the best of that dreary year (The Hurt Locker, unfortunately, had its premiere at a film festival in 2008, so even the Best Picture winner couldn't qualify that year)

Did you see Up, and if so, did it live up to the hype?

#38 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Cineaste

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,095 posts
  • LocationLook Out!

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:25 PM

2005 might be even harder for me though. With 2009, I can at least make a top 10 (albeit barely since of the few I've seen,only 16 cut the mustard, and 5 of them only barely make it.). I can't really do that with 2005. I was young still at the time and could not see many of the hyped films, but looking back they are an uninviting group. Of the films, I have yet to see, I only am looking forward to Munich, Cinderella Man, The New World, Memoirs of a Geisha, The Upside of Anger, and Walk the Line. And of the ones I have seen, there are only 5 I am truly enamored with, and only 8 others that are passable enough. The Oscar winner for Best Picture that year, Crash, is truly horrid. The film I had been pegging as the year's best (a moving, life-affirming Irish drama about paraplegics called Rory O'Shea Was Here) was released overseas under a different title (Inside I'm Dancing) in 2004, and thus is ineligible for 2005. So the title will instead be going to either Capote or Pride and Prejudice (or maybe Junebug)

I was looking over all of my 2000-2009 choices, and I had to switch around my 2005 list, too, thanks to uncertain release dates. My 05 list is filled with genre/popcorn movies, like Batman BeginsSerenityV for VendettaSin City. But I also have more serious fare, like The Constant GardnerMatch PointBrokeback Mountain, and a couple that you mentioned, The New World and Munich. And one movie that I was surprised with how much I liked it, Hustle & Flow. I won't say which one made my #1 spot till we get to that point in a few weeks, but I will say that one of the posters said that he felt it was one of the worst movies he ever saw in the theater!

Edit: The more I consider it, I think I'll be re-ordering my top ten, and dropping my previous #1 for 05 to the #2 spot. I just can't let some problems with the ending go.

#39 CinemaInternational

CinemaInternational

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:15 PM

I certainly agree on 2009. I don't hesitate to call it my least favorite year of any that we covered in these threads (1930-present). When I compiled my top ten list, I had to finish it with a film that I wasn't that thrilled with the first time I saw it, the choices were so weak. And that's with 320 movies seen from that year!

I was just looking over what 2009 films I have seen, and what I see isn't pretty. I only have seen a small smattering , and I don't really have a really strong attachment to many of the year's better ventures. I'd say Fantastic Mr. Fox was the best of that dreary year (The Hurt Locker, unfortunately, had its premiere at a film festival in 2008, so even the Best Picture winner couldn't qualify that year)

2005 might be even harder for me though. With 2009, I can at least make a top 10 (albeit barely since of the few I've seen,only 16 cut the mustard, and 5 of them only barely make it.). I can't really do that with 2005. I was young still at the time and could not see many of the hyped films, but looking back they are an uninviting group. Of the films, I have yet to see, I only am looking forward to Munich, Cinderella Man, The New World, Memoirs of a Geisha, The Upside of Anger, and Walk the Line. And of the ones I have seen, there are only 5 I am truly enamored with, and only 8 others that are passable enough. The Oscar winner for Best Picture that year, Crash, is truly horrid. The film I had been pegging as the year's best (a moving, life-affirming Irish drama about paraplegics called Rory O'Shea Was Here) was released overseas under a different title (Inside I'm Dancing) in 2004, and thus is ineligible for 2005. So the title will instead be going to either Capote or Pride and Prejudice (or maybe Junebug)

#40 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Cineaste

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,095 posts
  • LocationLook Out!

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:34 PM

2001, in other words, a big step up from 2000.... In point of principle, the 2000s are my least favorite film decade (due to 2000, 2005, and 2009 being dank, underwelming years that I wouldn't hesitate to call perhaps the worst movie years ever), but 2001 is a pretty strong year.

I certainly agree on 2009. I don't hesitate to call it my least favorite year of any that we covered in these threads (1930-present). When I compiled my top ten list, I had to finish it with a film that I wasn't that thrilled with the first time I saw it, the choices were so weak. And that's with 320 movies seen from that year!

Edit: I went back and looked at my 2009 list and realized one of them (The Hurt Locker) is technically a 2008 movie. So I had to find another movie for my top ten! This whole top ten of each year process began when I was compiling copies of all of my top ten movie choices from 1930-present in order to eventually have a long marathon of them all. Having to change up my 2009 list means that I have another one to order, since the movie I picked to fill the gap is one that I didn't have a copy of. Oh well, shopping can be cathartic. :)

• CinemaInternational likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users