We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Top Ten Films of...

• Please log in to reply
2787 replies to this topic

#41 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,008 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:56 PM

My Top Ten Films of 2012:

1.  Searching For Sugarman

2.  Life of Pi

3.  The Hunt

4.  Amour

5.  Beasts of the Southern Wild

6.  In the House

7.  Lincoln

8.  Prometheus

9.  The Sessions

10. Skyfall

• LawrenceA and KilgoreTrout like this

#42 CinemaInternational

CinemaInternational

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:31 PM

2012, haven't seen much from this year, and very few fill me with great passion for them. But a few do.

1. Les Miserables
2. Anna Karenina
3. Argo
4. Moonrise Kingdom
5. Lincoln
6. Ernest and Celestine (Animated)
7. Beasts of the Southern Wild
8. Wreck-It Ralph (Animated)
9. Silver Linings Playbook
10. Amour

Of note: Hitchcock, Frances Ha, The Master, Hyde Park on Hudson, Quartet, A Royal Affair, To Rome with Love

Mixed: Brave (Animated), Won't Back Down

Quite bad: Joyful Noise, Mirror Mirror
  • Bogie56 and LawrenceA like this

#43 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,614 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:40 PM

TOP TEN FAVORITE MOVIES OF 2012      (227 movies seen)

1)  The Cabin In the Woods

2)  Life of Pi

3)  Lincoln

4)  Skyfall

5)  Cloud Atlas

6)  Looper

7)  Silver Linings Playbook

8)  Django Unchained

9)  The Master

10)  Argo

Runner-ups (8/10):

The Avengers

A Hijacking

Amour

Killing Them Softly

Compliance

The Sessions

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Impossible

The Hunt

Moonrise Kingdom

Mud

End of Watch

Dredd

TEN WORST MOVIES OF 2012

1)  The Devil Inside

2)  Piranha 3DD

3)  Freelancers

4)  Dracula 3D

5)  Resident Evil: Retribution

6)  Lockout

7)  Paranormal Activity 4

8)  Storage 24

9)  The Babymakers

10)  Alex Cross

TOP TEN BOX OFFICE OF 2012

1)  The Avengers

2)  Skyfall

3)  The Dark Knight Rises

4)  The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

5)  Ice Age: Continental Drift

6)  The Twilight Saga - Breaking Dawn Part 2

7)  The Amazing Spider-Man

8)  Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted

9)  The Hunger Games

10)  Men In Black 3

Two of those I don't even recall being real movies. Two others I would rather gargle with bleach than watch again.

• Bogie56, CinemaInternational and KilgoreTrout like this

#44 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

The Great Pumpkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:34 PM

Remakes of well-known foreign films are dicey. When was the last one generally acknowledged to be a home run? The Birdcage maybe? (I did like 2004's Shall We Dance and 1996's The Mirror Have Two Faces though) 

Oh yeah! For sure! I loved The Mirror Has Two Faces and it has one of the best Lauren Bacall performances in it.

#45 CinemaInternational

CinemaInternational

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:54 PM

I didn't like this comment because of the remake news, just that you acknowledge you have heard of them.

Remakes of well-known foreign films are dicey. When was the last one generally acknowledged to be a home run? The Birdcage maybe? (I did like 2004's Shall We Dance and 1996's The Mirror Have Two Faces though) 

#46 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,614 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:18 PM

I didn't like this comment because of the remake news, just that you acknowledge you have heard of them.

Lol...I understand. I rarely approve of the English-language remakes of good foreign films. There are exceptions, but they are rare.

#47 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

The Great Pumpkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:17 PM

I haven't seen these yet, although I know about them. The Intouchables has been remade as The Upside, and stars Bryan Cranston and Kevin Hart. It's due early next year.

#48 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,614 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:10 PM

7. Arthur Christmas

9. The Intouchables

Honorable Mentions: Anonymous

I haven't seen these yet, although I know about them. The Intouchables has been remade as The Upside, and stars Bryan Cranston and Kevin Hart. It's due early next year.

• JamesStewartFan95 likes this

#49 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

The Great Pumpkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:49 PM

Top 10

1. Shame

2. Drive

3. Super 8

4. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

5. The Muppets

​6. Midnight in Paris

7. Attack the Block

8. Arthur Christmas

9. The Help

​10. The Intouchables

Honorable Mentions: 50/50, Albert Nobbs, Anonymous, A Dangerous Method, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, The Iron Lady, The Lincoln Lawyer, Rango

• LawrenceA likes this

#50 CinemaInternational

CinemaInternational

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:10 PM

I haven't seen these. I've wanted to see We Need to Talk About Kevin for years, but I haven't found it cheap enough (Amazon is still charging $25 for the DVD) or streaming. As you know, I miss most the animated films anymore, and now only seek those out that others recommend (such as Rango and Kung Fu Panda 2). 

Damsels in Distress I do not recall hearing of.

Of those Top Ten Box Office movies, the only ones I haven't seen are Cars 2 and The Smurfs. I didn't dislike all of the others; Harry Potter and Mission Impossible weren't bad. But the others listed weren't to my liking, and they were all LOUD.

As for animated films, spare yourself the time on Cars 2. Pixar dropped a real clanger there. It was all whiz-bang high speed car chases delivered at maximum sound with an overly insistent score. Little character development, a muddled script, a mostly flat vocal cast (save Michael Caine and Emily Mortimer) , and even dull animation at times made for an interminable time in the movie theatre. (And of the box office ten, i was thinking of seeing the Harry Potter and the mission Impossible, maybe the Kung Fu Panda. The others, no)

Arthur Christmas on the other hand was a quirky delight, a Christmas film shot through with a loopy British sensibility. Lots of zesty verbal and visual jokes made it the most unsung animated film of recent years. Good vocal cast too.

Damsels in Distress was definitely an acquired taste as can be witnessed by the low IMDb score. It was a drawing room comedy set on a modern day college campus. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and its really just a series of vignettes sometimes with rapidly changing moods (what with such sundry topics as hygiene, depression, sex, social circles, etc. being thrown about) , but the cast (headed by Greta Gerwig) was likable and the script by Whit Stillman (of Metropolitan and Last Days of Disco fame) was polished.

And We Need to Talk About Kevin, I managed to see that on Hulu last year. It's a very, very potent, disturbing film. Its told out of chronological order and it is completely creepy all the way through. Tilda Swinton was perfect in a difficult role, and Ezra Miller, as her dangerous son, radiated pure evil.

• LawrenceA and JamesStewartFan95 like this

#51 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,614 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:39 PM

8. We Need to Talk About Kevin
9. Arthur Christmas

Of Note: Damsels in Distress

Charming: Winnie the Pooh

Shrill and Irritating: Cars 2, Hoodwinked 2, Mr. Popper's Penguins

I haven't seen these. I've wanted to see We Need to Talk About Kevin for years, but I haven't found it cheap enough (Amazon is still charging $25 for the DVD) or streaming. As you know, I miss most of the animated films anymore, and now only seek those out that others recommend (such as Rango and Kung Fu Panda 2). 

Damsels in Distress I do not recall hearing of.

Of those Top Ten Box Office movies, the only ones I haven't seen are Cars 2 and The Smurfs. I didn't dislike all of the others; Harry Potter and Mission Impossible weren't bad. But the others listed weren't to my liking, and they were all LOUD.

#52 CinemaInternational

CinemaInternational

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:54 PM

2011 Beginners would easily be my number 1 pick, but it was shown at festivals in 2010. My numbers one and two on this list frequently flip-flop. Depends on the day.

(And Lawrence, that box office list is not good, I must agree. I only saw one of them and it was so incredibly shrill. I might see two others of them down the road. Maybe.)

1. The Artist
2. The Tree of Life
3. Hugo
4. The Help
5. Midnight in Paris
6. My Week with Marilyn
7. Take Shelter
8. We Need to Talk About Kevin
9. Arthur Christmas
10. Albert Nobbs

Of Note: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Decendants, A Separation, Another Earth, Win Win, Damsels in Distress, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, War Horse, A Dangerous Method, The Adventures of Tintin

Charming: Winnie the Pooh, The Muppets, Dolphin Tale

Mixed: Moneyball, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Jeff Who Lives At Home

Shrill and Irritating: Cars 2, Hoodwinked 2, Mr. Popper's Penguins (I only watched this one because I liked the children's book it was supposedly based on and because of Angela Lansbury, and although she gets the best moments, her role is tiny.)
  • LawrenceA likes this

#53 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,008 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:23 AM

My Top Ten of 2011:

1.  The Descendants

2.  The Adventures of Tin Tin: The Secret of the Unicorn

3.  We Need to Talk About Kevin

4.  Young Adult

5.  The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

6.  Attack the Block

7.  Bobby Fischer Against the World

8.  Kung Fu Panda 2

9.  Arthur Christmas

10.  Midnight In Paris

#54 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,614 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:41 AM

TOP TEN FAVORITE MOVIES OF 2011    (254 movies seen)

1)  The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

2)  Drive

3)  The Tree of Life

4)  The Descendants

5)  Rise of the Planet of the Apes

6)  Hugo

7)  Warrior

8)  Contagion

9)  Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

10)  The Raid: Redemption

Runner-ups (8/10):

Take Shelter

A Separation

The Innkeepers

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Crazy, Stupid, Love

Midnight in Paris

Source Code

Shame

50/50

Attack the Block

Notable Animated Features: RangoKung Fu Panda 2

Notable Documentaries:  George Harrison: Living in the Material WorldFrom the Sky DownHot Coffee

TOP TEN WORST MOVIES OF 2011

1)  House of Sin

2)  BloodRayne: The Third Reich

3)  4:44 Last Day on Earth

4)  Hellraiser: Revelations

5)  Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

6)  Zombie Diaries 2

7)  House of the Rising Sun

8)  Beneath the Darkness

9)  The Wicker Tree

10)  Apollo 18

TOP TEN BOX OFFICE OF 2011

1)  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2

2)  Transformers: Dark of the Moon

3)  Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

4)  The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1

5)  Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol

6)  Kung Fu Panda 2

7)  Fast Five

8)  The Hangover Part II

9)  The Smurfs

10)  Cars 2

That box-office list gives me a headache.

• Bogie56, JamesStewartFan95, CinemaInternational and 1 other like this

#55 KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:48 AM

The Best Films of 2011

1. Take Shelter
2. The Tree of Life
3. A Separation
4. Shame
5. The Interrupters
6. Putty Hill
7. 13 Assassins
8. Incendies
9. Nostalgia for the Light
10. The Artist

HM: Margin Call, Martha Marcy May Marlene, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, Drive, Meek's Cutoff, Senna, Carnage, Like Crazy, Armadillo, Moneyball, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, Seeking the Monkey King, The Skin I Live In, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Contagion, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, The Muppets, Certified Copy, Beginners, We Need to Talk About Kevin, Cave of Forgotten Dreams, Midnight in Paris, 50/50, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, Attack the Block, Fast Five, Bernie, Win-Win, Rango, Where Soldiers Come From, Kung Fu Panda 2, The Future is Bright

Worst

1.) Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
2.) The Help
3.) Spy Kids: All the Time in the World
4.) Red State
5.) Another Happy Day
6.) Bridesmaids
7.) J Edgar
8.) The Pettifogger

9.) Sucker Punch

10.) War Horse

• skimpole, Bogie56 and LawrenceA like this

#56 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

The Great Pumpkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:31 PM

Top 10

1. Animal Kingdom

2. The King’s Speech

3. Toy Story 3

4. True Grit

5. The Fighter

6. Nowhere Boy

7. Waking Sleeping Beauty

8. 127 Hours

9. Barney’s Version

10. The Kids are All Right

Honorable Mentions: Black Swan, Date Night, The Other Guys, Rabbit Hole, Shutter Island, The Social Network, Tangled, The Town, The Trotsky, Winter’s Bone

• LawrenceA likes this

#57 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,008 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:28 AM

My Top Ten Films of 2010:

1.  The Social Network

2.  13 Assassins

3.  Outside the Law

4.  The King's Speech

5.  The Way Back

6.  The Kids Are All Right

7.  True Grit

8.  Shutter Island

9.  Exit Through the Gift Shop

10.  The Wildest Dream

#58 CinemaInternational

CinemaInternational

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:00 PM

Winter's Bone started off strong, but I found myself falling away from it the longer it went on. I did admire Jennifer Lawrence in it though (speaking of which, I caved in and saw Joy. That might just be her best performance to date.)

Of the ones unseen by you, I think you might be interested in Please Give, Sarah's Key, and Made in Dagenham.

Please Give was a comedy-drama of idiosyncratic nature having to deal with a group of connected people. Catherine Keener and Oliver Platt were the leads, but the show was stolen by Rebecca Hall as a sweet, self-depreciating, long-suffering caretaker of a very crotchety and crabby woman. Be forwarned though. The opening credits are quite tacky (showing closeups of women receiving mammograms).

Sarah's Key was a French drama concerning a woman (Kirsten Scott Thomas) who bought an apartment in Paris and how she finds out that it was once owned by a Jewish family rounded up by French allies the Nazis in 1942. The story cuts between past and present. The little girl in the 40s sequences is heatrending.

Made in Dagenham was an inspirational drama (with some comic moments) concerning the ultimately successful efforts by women working as machinists at a Ford plant in Dagenham, England to receive equal pay. That one knows the outcome isn't important, the film is not subtle, but it works so well in capturing the look of the era (1968) and as a performance showcase for several talented people (Sally Hawkins as the indomitable but fragile woman leading the charge, Geraldine James as her best friend, Bob Hoskins getting one last juicy role as a company official going to bat for them, Miranda Richardson (brilliant as ever) as a fiery-tempered and witty goverment official, Andrea Risebourough as a fast and cheeky co-worker, Rosamund Pike as a frustrated trophy wife) And its hard not to cheer at the end.
  • LawrenceA likes this

#59 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,614 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 08 August 2017 - 09:36 PM

2010. Somewhat flat, but the top of the list has some of the best films so far this decade.

1. True Grit
2. Beginners (by festival release date, released to theatres in 2011)
3. How to Train Your Dragon
4. The King's Speech
5. Another Year
6. Inception
7. Made in Dagenham
8. The Fighter
9. Rabbit Hole
10. Black Swan

Of note: Scott Pilgrim Vs the World, The Illusionist, Somewhere, Animal Kingdom, Tangled, Sarah's Key, 127 Hours, The Social Network, Secretariat, A Cat in Paris, Toy Story 3, The Debt, You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger, Please Give, The American

Pleasant if minor: Letters to Juliet, Princess Kailulani

Pleasant for Children: Ramona and Beezus (Aka the female version of Leave It to Beaver)

Ho-hum: Winter's Bone

Awful: Easy A

I'm surprised to see Winter's Bone as a "ho-hum". I thought it was very authentic and compelling.

I have not seen Made in DagenhamPlease GiveLetters to JulietPrincess KailulaniRamona & BeezusSarah's Key, or A Cat in Paris.

I liked Emma Stone in Easy A. The movie was rather forgettable, though.

#60 CinemaInternational

CinemaInternational

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 09:12 PM

2010. Somewhat flat, but the top of the list has some of the best films so far this decade.

1. True Grit
2. Beginners (by festival release date, released to theatres in 2011)
3. How to Train Your Dragon
4. The King's Speech
5. Another Year
6. Inception
7. Made in Dagenham
8. The Fighter
9. Rabbit Hole
10. Black Swan

Of note: Scott Pilgrim Vs the World, The Illusionist, Somewhere, Animal Kingdom, Tangled, Sarah's Key, 127 Hours, The Social Network, Secretariat, A Cat in Paris, Toy Story 3, The Debt, You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger, Please Give, The American

Pleasant if minor: Letters to Juliet, Princess Kailulani

Pleasant for Children: Ramona and Beezus (Aka the female version of Leave It to Beaver)

Ho-hum: Winter's Bone

Awful: Easy A
  • Bogie56 and LawrenceA like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users