We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Betty Boop at the Paramount Vault YouTube page

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,971 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 01:08 AM

Some of them fell into public domain, so you may find quite a few DVDs of Betty floating around... even at Wal-Mart. Paramount licensed Olive Films to make a special four DVD set of some of their original prints.

Oh... if you are ONLY beginning to explore classic animated cartoons of both Hollywood and New York (and some Miami for Fleischers) of the 1920s-60s, you are in for lots and lots of fun!

Thanks. That is what I surmised. Fleischer is great. I can't wait to see more of his animation.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 07:13 PM

Some of them fell into public domain, so you may find quite a few DVDs of Betty floating around... even at Wal-Mart. Paramount licensed Olive Films to make a special four DVD set of some of their original prints.

Oh... if you are ONLY beginning to explore classic animated cartoons of both Hollywood and New York (and some Miami for Fleischers) of the 1920s-60s, you are in for lots and lots of fun!

• TopBilled likes this

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,971 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:22 PM

Can't remember.

AMC did in the 1990s and a few years into the new century.

Probably TCM hasn't aired them because they are owned by Paramount-- so unless they were doing a special month-long spotlight on animation (hint-hint, programmers) I do not see them showing up anytime soon. I am glad Paramount has uploaded Betty Boop's classic short 'toons on YouTube. Otherwise, I never would have seen and enjoyed watching them.

• Jlewis likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 11:40 AM

Can't remember.

AMC did in the 1990s and a few years into the new century.

• TopBilled likes this

#5 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,971 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:38 AM

Paramount has reissued a cluster (not all) of BBs on DVD through Olive Films. They couldn't restore all of the title cards back to their original state (a.k.a. Paramount sold them and different companies altered the original films for TV). Warner did restore the Paramount Popeye 'toons that they own. Yet they all looked good.

Thanks for the information. Do you know if TCM has ever aired any Betty Boop cartoons?

By the way here's the link for BETTY BOOP CONFIDENTIAL at the Paramount Vault homepage on YouTube:

https://www.google.c...paramount vault

#6 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 06:54 PM

Paramount has reissued a cluster (not all) of BBs on DVD through Olive Films. They couldn't restore all of the title cards back to their original state (a.k.a. Paramount sold them and different companies altered the original films for TV). Warner did restore the Paramount Popeye 'toons that they own. Yet they all looked good.

• TopBilled likes this

#7 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,971 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:29 PM

Normally, I am not a fan of classic cartoons. Maybe I just never took the time to appreciate them.

I've been looking at the new films posted at the YouTube page for the Paramount Vault. One of the westerns I was watching ended, and it went into the next movie. As it was playing, I heard the name Max Fleischer and saw Betty Boop's image/logo come up on screen.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2015-12-18%2Bat%2B1.34.5

Curiosity must have gotten the best of me, and I watched the entire short cartoon. Then the next one, and the next one after that. LOL

You get the idea. I was hooked. The one where Betty considers running for president was my favorite.  

Another one was a riff on Cinderella and in color. Anyone else see these? 

• Jlewis likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users