We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

"Christmas in Connecticut" 1945 Video Movie Review - Good Christmas Food!

Christmas in Connecticut 1945 Barbara Stanwyck Dennis Morgan

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 cinemaspeak59

cinemaspeak59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 12:02 PM

Christmas in Connecticut is, indeed, a delight.  I also like The Man Who Came to Dinner (1942). Both have wonderful  sets, and two great actresses, Bette Davis and Barbara Stanwyck.  I still find it amazing how these films evoke Christmas and winter while being shot in sunny & hot Los Angeles.

• rayban likes this

#2 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,093 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 01:57 PM

They both could be - each of them had substantial careers.

And they could move so easily from one genre to the next.

Strangely enough, whenever I think of Jack Carson, I think of "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof".

And, whenever I think of Dennis Morgan, I think of him opposite Ginger Rogers in "Kitty Foyle".

(The fact that Ginger Rogers walked out on Dennis Morgan was a very hard pill to swallow.)

If I am not mistaken Dennis Morgan was Star of the Month back in the 90s when TCM was young. I don't think Carson has ever had the honor.

It would be wonderful if they could be Co-Stars of the Month. That would be a great way to do it, if you ask me.

• rayban likes this

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,093 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 01:54 PM

Was there an earlier version of "The Desert Song"?  I only remember the one with Gordon MacRae.

It was produced in b&w by Warner Brothers in 1943 with Dennis Morgan, which was the second version (it was previously filmed by the studio in 1929 with John Boles, but that earlier production has missing elements and is awaiting a complete restoration).

There were rights issues holding up the '43 version (over some of the songs I believe). And it took many years to iron things out, so in the meantime the Technicolor one with MacRae was the only one ever shown on TCM. But last year Morgan's did get released on disc by the Warner Archives so I'm assuming the legal issues were resolved and hopefully it will turn up on TCM at some point.

• rayban likes this

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#4 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,556 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 01:03 PM

Was there an earlier version of "The Desert Song"?  I only remember the one with Gordon MacRae.

• rayban likes this

#5 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 11:54 AM

They both could be - each of them had substantial careers.

And they could move so easily from one genre to the next.

Strangely enough, whenever I think of Jack Carson, I think of "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof".

And, whenever I think of Dennis Morgan, I think of him opposite Ginger Rogers in "Kitty Foyle".

(The fact that Ginger Rogers walked out on Dennis Morgan was a very hard pill to swallow.)

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,093 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:57 AM

The Warner Collection has just released three musicals that he made with Jack Carson - "The Time, The Place and The Girl", "Two Guys From Milwaukee" and "Two Guys From Texas".

That's good news.

I am wondering if Dennis Morgan or Jack Carson have ever been Star of the Month on TCM...?

• rayban likes this

#7 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:55 PM

The Warner Collection has just released three musicals that he made with Jack Carson - "The Time, The Place and The Girl", "Two Guys From Milwaukee" and "Two Guys From Texas".

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#8 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,093 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:31 PM

Rayban, I agree with you about Dennis Morgan.  He could do it all--comedies, musicals, dramas.  And he was always believable.  Plus,  he was a truly nice guy in real life.  For some reason, that made a big impression on me.

Terrence.

He also did a few noteworthy westerns, too.

• rayban likes this

#9 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,266 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 February 2016 - 03:38 PM

I never got over Dennis Morgan in "Kitty Foyle" - he was just so attractive, wasn't he?

Could you recommend one of his Warner Bros. musicals?

The Desert Song is a fine musical.  

• rayban likes this

#10 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:38 PM

I never got over Dennis Morgan in "Kitty Foyle" - he was just so attractive, wasn't he?

Could you recommend one of his Warner Bros. musicals?

#11 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,556 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:21 AM

Rayban, I agree with you about Dennis Morgan.  He could do it all--comedies, musicals, dramas.  And he was always believable.  Plus,  he was a truly nice guy in real life.  For some reason, that made a big impression on me.

Terrence.

• rayban likes this

#12 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:45 PM

The movie is beautifully directed - by a director I don't know too well, Peter Godfrey - and beautifully acted - by such a terrific ensemble cast.

I do wish that Barbara Stanwyck had made more comedies.

And isn't it time for a re-discovery of Dennis Morgan?

#13 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,556 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:24 PM

I agree completely with you, Rayban.  This movie is pure entertainment.  And Stanwyck never looked better.  What a shame that she and Dennis Morgan didn't work together more frequently.

Terrence.

• rayban likes this

#14 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:10 PM

"Christmas In Connecticut" is a highly enjoyable farcical comedy - a genre that is rarely done well in the movies - I recommend it at least once a year - I added it to my DVD collection at home.

• TopBilled and cinemaspeak59 like this

#15 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,093 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:41 PM

What,  now you want TCM to show more repeats?    Stanwyck is featured by TCM almost as much as Cary Grant.

;)

Actually, I was meaning to suggest that they should do a Christmas in July type theme mid-summer. And show some of these then. I am not in favour of endless repeats, but I also don't think a good film should only be trotted out once a year in tandem with a holiday.

In the same regard, it bugs me that they only seem to show YOUNG CASSIDY on St. Patrick's Day. Such a good film that should be seen a little more often.

• rayban likes this

#16 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,266 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 January 2016 - 01:17 PM

How come nobody replied to Ian about this great film..?

There were a few chances to see it last month on TCM.

In my opinion, it's one of those films that should be seen in other months, too.

What,  now you want TCM to show more repeats?    Stanwyck is featured by TCM almost as much as Cary Grant.

;)

• TopBilled and rayban like this

#17 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,093 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:54 PM

How come nobody replied to Ian about this great film..?

There were a few chances to see it last month on TCM.

In my opinion, it's one of those films that should be seen in other months, too.

• IanPatrickMovieReviews and rayban like this

#18 IanPatrickMovieReviews

IanPatrickMovieReviews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:07 PM

This is a classic Christmas comedy that everyone should watch at least once! 

I can't believe Christmas is in 4 days! I have one more Christmas review for you all this year :3

• rayban likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Christmas in Connecticut, 1945, Barbara Stanwyck, Dennis Morgan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users