We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Favourite Swashbuckler?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 NZ

NZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:48 PM

Scaramouche is also one of my all time favorites. Sword play is tricky and often looks fake. It's quite harrowing and convincing in Scaramouche though, particularly when the Marquee cuts through that large fern with his sword in the opera house.

Second pick for me is The Sea Hawk - a masterful Errol Flynn swashbuckler, even if the final duel is doubled for character actor Henry Daniel who - sadly - couldn't swash worth a damn.

#22 MikeBSG

MikeBSG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:00 PM

TCM is going to show "Scarmouche" some time this week. It is one of my favorite swashbucklers. Great swordplay and good humor as well.

#23 miyagawafan

miyagawafan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 06:28 PM

it's been so long since i've seen MITIM that i don't even remember bennett. i should enter that one in movies i'd like to see....

also,,,back then, women were women and men were men. today, they're all boys and girls.

"sinbad the sailor" starring brad pitt, keira knightly, oliver platt, joaquin phoenix.

#24 ken123

ken123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 06:10 PM

> adventures of robin hood....flynn
>
> mark of zorro....power
>
> three musketeers....abel
>
> sinbad the sailor....fairbanks jr
>
> man in the iron mask....hayward

The best feature of " Sinbad the Sailor ", is Maureen O' Hara in Technicolor. " The Man in the Iron Mask ' had Joan Bennett. The films of yesterday had very beautiful woman. Today it seems exposed skin makes up for the lack of real allure. I am not a prude, far from it.

#25 miyagawafan

miyagawafan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 12:47 AM

adventures of robin hood....flynn

mark of zorro....power

three musketeers....abel

sinbad the sailor....fairbanks jr

man in the iron mask....hayward

#26 ken123

ken123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:43 PM

" The Adventures of Robin Hood ", and " The Mark of Zorro ", Flynn and Power versions.

#27 Karenr8678

Karenr8678

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 12:42 PM

I to love Errol Flynn he was just so sexy.

#28 JackBurley

JackBurley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,298 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:57 PM

"I saw part of The Buccaneer with Frederic March '37 I think and it was enjoyable. They show a dog in one sceen and I think it's Toto from the Wizard of Oz."

You're so right, Ms. Belle. Terry was the Cairn Terrier who played Toto in The Wizard of Oz, and she was also featured in The Buccaneer. She was in a lot of movies in the 1930's and early 1940's. Watch for her fight scene in The Women.

#29 PGHBelle

PGHBelle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:48 PM

I loved Errol Flynn in Captain Blood. No one can tell me that Orlando Bloom in Pirates of the Caribbean wasn't made up to look like him.

I saw part of The Buccaneer with Frederic March '37 I think and it was enjoyable. They show a dog in one sceen and I think it's Toto from the Wizard of Oz.

#30 drdoolittle

drdoolittle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 04:12 AM

Mine would be Erroll Flynn loved him Robin hood!

#31 JackBurley

JackBurley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,298 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:09 AM

"Tyrone Power in 'Captain from Castile' ... but I can't remember the blonde girl."

Might it have been Barbara Lawrence?

#32 mrsl

mrsl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:37 PM

Tyrone Power in 'Captain from Castile' , with George Sanders, Jean Peters, I think Cesar Romero, but I can't remember the blond girl.

#33 MikeBSG

MikeBSG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 09:14 AM

I just watched "The Crimson Pirate" on DVD yesterday. Again, I had heard about it for a long time, but it never seemed to be on TV or in film societies when I was younger.

It is good, almost great. It is very, very funny but goes awry when it stretches into seriousness a bit and then gets far fetched with the invention of "modern" weaponry. But my kids got a blast out of it, and most of the humor holds up.

What struck me was that although it was 1952, this felt like a Seventies "buddy" movie with Burt Lancaster and Nick Cravat as the buddies. This was almost "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid as Pirates."

It might make a good double feature with "Beat the Devil" as "Fifties films that feel like they're from a later decade."

#34 ken123

ken123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 02:00 PM

":Against All Flags", starring Errol Flynn and Maureen O' Hara, as "Spitfire Stevens" isn't bad !

#35 MikeBSG

MikeBSG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:14 PM

I would say Errol Flynn is my favorite. "Captain Blood" and "Adventures of Robin Hood" are terrific, and I have probably memorized them.

However, there are other good ones out there too. I gave up on Douglas Fairbanks Sr.'s "Mark of Zorro" and found "Black Pirate" too far fetched, BUT I really liked his "Three Musketeers" and "The Iron Mask."

Also, I just saw the Stewart Granger "Scaramouche" on DVD and loved it. It moves rapidly and is quite entertaining. The humor works, and the fencing is terrific. Why was this never on TV when I was a kid or shown by film societies when I was in college? This is probably the best post-WWII swashbuckler.

#36 Jane03

Jane03

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 04:17 PM

My favorite Swashbuckler is Errol Flynn. No one could swash a buckle like Errol. I think The Aventures of Robin Hood, Captain Blood, and The SeaHawk are the best Swashbucklers and some of the best movies period.

P.S. Can you tell that I just love and adore Errol Flynn? ;-)

#37 Mark_Thorson

Mark_Thorson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 11:36 AM

I like all the Swashbucklers with Errol Flynn and Tyrone Power. Scaramouche, the Crimson Pirate and the Three Musketeers, with Michael York, are also favorites.

Message was edited by:
Mark_Thorson

#38 moviegeek

moviegeek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 04:40 PM

Captain Blood. Read the book awhile back so I really love that pirate.

#39 pktrekgirl

pktrekgirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:49 PM

You know, I heard (I think in one of the special features on the "Captain Blood" DVD?) that Basil Rathbone was supposedly THE best swordsman in Hollywood at the time. Apparently he took it very seriously - not just for acting, but in real life.

He sure is good in "Captain Blood" and "The Adventures of Robin Hood"!!!

#40 movieman1957

movieman1957

Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,581 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis MD

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:17 PM

I'm with you. "The Adventures of Robin Hood" owes much of its popularity to Flynn. He was certainly athletic and graceful in his fencing. (Rathbone was probably better.) But the cast, score and direction are first rate. Flynn's charm really makes the character a favorite. It's very much like in "Captain Blood".

For some more pretty good fencing check out Maureen O'Hara in some swashbucklers from the 40s.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. 

G. Marx.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users