We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

We Need A Warner Bros Cartoon Topic

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,047 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:09 PM

Friends and I at work used to discuss this a lot.

Our concensus was-----

Disney may have the more flawless and fluid animation, but WB had the FUNNIER cartoons.

And ONE FROGGY NIGHT seems to be a favorite of MOST people I've talked to about this sort of thing.  And mostly here in MICHIGAN, since that cool frog HAD become known as MICHIGAN J(I even have a small vinyl replica of him, top hat and all, on my keychain!).  AND several of us seem to prefer The Tasmanian Devil before he became so popular and had become known as simply "Taz".  AND started speaking.  In complete sentences!

Sepiatone

Yep, and so did the MGM studios once Tex Avery moved his particular brand of zaniness from the W-B studios to there of course, Sepia.

This opening sequence clip of this Screwball Squirrel short being Tex's way of poking fun at the "cutesy-ness" contained within many of Uncle Walt's cartoons....

#2 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,071 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:25 AM

Friends and I at work used to discuss this a lot.

Our concensus was-----

Disney may have the more flawless and fluid animation, but WB had the FUNNIER cartoons.

And ONE FROGGY NIGHT seems to be a favorite of MOST people I've talked to about this sort of thing.  And mostly here in MICHIGAN, since that cool frog HAD become known as MICHIGAN J(I even have a small vinyl replica of him, top hat and all, on my keychain!).  AND several of us seem to prefer The Tasmanian Devil before he became so popular and had become known as simply "Taz".  AND started speaking.  In complete sentences!

Sepiatone

• mr6666 likes this

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#3 Emily Dean

Emily Dean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:38 AM

Oh a day or week or Spotlight on Warner Bros. Cartoons would be fantastic.   More interesting than Treasures from the Vault.   Most of the old cartoons are "verboten" as they are terribly politically incorrect.  I was on Movies Unlimited yesterday and they have DVD's of the Warner's cartoons however were a bit to pricey for my budget.  You are able to see some on You Tube.

I am not a traditional opera buff but Warner's did great cartoons to opera music and everytime I hear Wagner I think of the great cartoon "Kill the Rabbit" done to the March of the Valkiries. 

Keep posting however I won't hold my breath....I still want George Sanders as SOTM, however maybe we could lobby for a cartoon version of the Wine Club....

#4 JonasEB

JonasEB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:38 AM

I find I'm usually alone in enjoying the early to mid 30s Merrie Melodies (and even the Looney Tunes of the period.) I don't know why, lots of good songs from Warner movies, great early/mid 30s ambiance. Fond memories of the feeling I got watching those late at night on Cartoon Network as a kid. The cartoons from the early 30s have a lot of the same appeal as the silent films from the 1890s and 1900s; a different kind of joyful weirdness on one hand, ethereal, otherworldly beauty on the other.

I prefer Warner cartoons pre-1950 in general. The shorts became increasingly streamlined and bland as the 50s progressed, although there certainly was still a bounty to like. I'm a Tex Avery and Bob Clampett guy (and Frank Tashlin!)

I also vastly prefer the original version of Daffy Duck (the one that was actually "daffy" - "Woo woo, woo!") 

• mr6666 and Kay like this

#5 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,618 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:24 PM

"One Froggy Evening" is one of my favorites:

My favorite part is when the guy is sitting in jail (because Michigan J. Frog was singing in the middle of the park and creating a noise disturbance and the poor guy gets busted for the noise, though he tries to blame Michigan) and Michigan is up in the window caressing the bars singing "Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone." 

"Three Little Bops" is another of my favorites:

I love the end when the wolf finally "gets it" and gets to be in the band.  I mostly love the music in this cartoon.

I have all three of the Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Volumes on Blu-Ray.  I never tire of watching Looney Tunes.

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#6 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,047 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:12 PM

One of my favorites. For once Elmer comes out on top...

#7 Janet0312

Janet0312

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:01 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=auBUs_hA72U

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users