We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Indiana Jones

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 5cents

5cents

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:51 PM

I'm a big Indiana Jones fan also, but my ranking the films is somewhat different than yours .....

The Last Crusade
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
The Temple of Doom
Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

I prefer Karen Allen playing Indy's love interest in those movies too.

All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through.

#2 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 10:47 AM

Any fans here? One of my favorite movie series and heroes of all-time and I'm in the minority of fans who loves all of the films, even the fourth. My ranking of the series is sure to be controversial and I'm sure some will want to kill me for it, but it goes:

Temple Of Doom
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
The Last Crusade

I'm an unashamed Temple Of Doom fan and it's always been my favorite. I'd never argue with anyone saying Raiders is the best and it's a classic, but I find TOD the most entertaining. It's darker, creepier and meaner tone combined with the amazing setpieces and action make it my favorite and I also think it has the best villains and version of Indy. I love how at times it gets very Horror-like.

I actually tend to rotate on the last two but honestly tend to like Last Crusade the least. Don't get me wrong as I still like it very much, but it just seems to hold up the least well for me. The much more goofy, comical and jokey nature of it with the constant gags and slapstick got jarring and I think it was a mistake for it to try to essentially be Raiders 2.0 after TOD being such a different movie from the original was one of it's strengths to me. The Nazis again, desert setting, biblical relic, etc. just felt repetitive and I found the villains the most boring of the series. I still like it but I'm in the uber-small minority who rates it last.

Crystal Skull grew on me. It's not without problems but it was awesome seeing Indy back and I enjoyed the story, setpieces, villains and action scenes, and it definitely brought back that fun and non-stop adventure feeling for me. It used to be my least favorite but with rewatches it improved a great deal for me.

All in all, a great series and I'm very happy to a hear a fifth one is planned.

I saw " Raiders" when it was released in IMAX and it stands up very well- the other films in the series are a mix bag - love the character but I think Harrison Ford might a bit too old to play Indy one more time- they should have picked another actor to play his son

#3 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

Joe Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:21 PM

Any fans here? One of my favorite movie series and heroes of all-time and I'm in the minority of fans who loves all of the films, even the fourth. My ranking of the series is sure to be controversial and I'm sure some will want to kill me for it, but it goes:

Temple Of Doom
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
The Last Crusade

I'm an unashamed Temple Of Doom fan and it's always been my favorite. I'd never argue with anyone saying Raiders is the best and it's a classic, but I find TOD the most entertaining. It's darker, creepier and meaner tone combined with the amazing setpieces and action make it my favorite and I also think it has the best villains and version of Indy. I love how at times it gets very Horror-like.

I actually tend to rotate on the last two but honestly tend to like Last Crusade the least. Don't get me wrong as I still like it very much, but it just seems to hold up the least well for me. The much more goofy, comical and jokey nature of it with the constant gags and slapstick got jarring and I think it was a mistake for it to try to essentially be Raiders 2.0 after TOD being such a different movie from the original was one of it's strengths to me. The Nazis again, desert setting, biblical relic, etc. just felt repetitive and I found the villains the most boring of the series. I still like it but I'm in the uber-small minority who rates it last.

Crystal Skull grew on me. It's not without problems but it was awesome seeing Indy back and I enjoyed the story, setpieces, villains and action scenes, and it definitely brought back that fun and non-stop adventure feeling for me. It used to be my least favorite but with rewatches it improved a great deal for me.

But don't forget that the second one also has a constantly screaming and in your face Kate Capshaw as Willie! Shudders!

#4 Susan Hopkins

Susan Hopkins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:45 PM

It would've been interesting if they had gone with a tween Maharani instead of the Maharajah in Temple of Doom. I mean the way they dressed him, he might as well have been a princess.

#5 SleepyDogFilms

SleepyDogFilms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:59 PM

Is it bad that the only one I will rewatch again and again is Raiders of the Lost Ark? I have seen all the rest once, and it was enough for me. I just feel it had everything and the sequels could never top it.

www.sleepydogfilmsusa.com

www.facebook.com/sleepydogfilmsusa

#6 Reaper

Reaper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:19 PM

The fifth was confirmed a few months ago. Definitely excited and I hope it's a worthy series finale.

• film lover 293 likes this

#7 RipMurdock

RipMurdock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:50 AM

i think its run out ofsteam mostly but still watch.

#8 Reaper

Reaper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:29 AM

Temple Of Doom
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
The Last Crusade

• film lover 293 and jaragon like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users