We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Making some "Shortie Checklists"...

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:29 PM

Oooooohhh... I am going to be naughty again. Don't panic, people.

#2 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:31 PM

I dunno. Maybe SOME of you find these dopey lists helpful. My RKO one only has 156 "views" so far, but Paramount's is gradually making it past 734.

Yoo hoo! 265+ days later and RKO's list made 2,441 views and Paramount's a whopping 3,624.

*hint hint* Any chance somebody "in charge" can unlock some vaults so we can watch more shorties either on DVD or online? Maybe TCM gets the hint of what could be tapped for renewed discovery?

• TopBilled likes this

#3 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:41 AM

Two more goodies, included here: http://forums.tcm.co...-fbo/?p=1286198

These come from the team of Stacey & Howard Woodard. On the soundtrack, you hear Gayne Whitman, who also narrated many of Jerry Fairbanks' Popular Science color shorts for Paramount. Both were produced by Amadee J. Van Beuren (famous for his animated cartoons of the period) and RKO-Pathé as part of the “Struggle To Live” series

Underground Farmers

© April 17, 1936 (not '39 as listed on YouTube... oops!)

Some of the Pathé and RKO-Pathé shorts were reissued, like this one, by either Leslie Winik's Official Films or Walter O. Gutlan in the 1940s for the 16mm market.

Living Jewels

© June 12, 1936

• TopBilled likes this

#4 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:37 PM

Added Castle Films to the other Shortie Checklist thread. Here is a fun little reel, called Ten Fathoms Deep.

This is the third edition of Jacques Yves Cousteau's Épaves. Universal-International adapted it to the American market as a 2-reeler called Danger Under The Sea, released September 1951 and nominated for an Academy Award. Since Castle was owned by Universal, it was able to make a shorter cut with a new title easily for its home rental and school markets. Unfortunately 8 minutes does not do justice to the subject that the longer version did... or the later feature films like The Silent World. Our energetic narrator hopes something menacing will appear to add danger, but I think we are fooled into being more afraid than we should be.

Here is the original. The video copy is a bit murky, but it is great seeing early Jacques Yves Cousteau speaking in French.

Épaves

Produced by Ministére de l'Éducation Nationale and Institut Pédagogique National

Supervised by Jacques Yves Cousteau and Frédéric Dumas

Filmed June 1943, but widely released as a 28 minute featurette in May 1946

#5 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 12:32 PM

Featured in the Shortie List for Universal...

A "Variety View" (a black and white newsreel spin off series) from 1956, these "Brooklyn Goes To..." travelogues gave us an alternative "ho hum" narrator to MGM's James FitzPatrick.

An "extract" from one of their 1936 "specials", narrated by Lowell Thomas: You Can't Get Away With It. The full film runs a half hour.

• TopBilled likes this

#6 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 01:13 PM

I have the feeling a lot of these lists will need updated as time progresses and more films are available for viewing. For example, many "plots" are paraphrased from Film Daily and other magazine reviews and NOT always because I saw them personally.

#7 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:55 PM

Very impressive research, Jlewis! I've also been researching, listing and logging shorts for many years and have numerous sheets, folders, lists, charts, etc. and it's nice to see them all in the order you have been listing them.

I was especially interested to see your Musical Novelties listing, as I have done especially extensive research over many years on this particular series and have learned and acquired a large amount of material on the eight shorts in the series. I thought I would offer a few corrections and clarifications in the interests of accuracy:

You should have the short WOMAN HATERS included in the list (even though it is also listed as a Three Stooges short - it is actually technically a Musical Novelty short, not a "Three Stooges" short).

SCHOOL FOR ROMANCE was not filmed first. It was filmed third and released third. The first two however were filmed and released in reverse order: UMPA was filmed first but released second, while ROAMIN' THRU THE ROSES was filmed second but released first. I figure that was because UMPA is so bizarre that they realized they would probably scare audiences away from the series if they released that one first, so held it back and released the more traditional romance ROAMIN' THRU THE ROSES first.

You have Conrad, Gottler & Mitchell as Directors of UMPA - they were the writers, not directors. That short, as were all eight in the series was directed by Archie Gottler. (I uncovered an uncredited co-director for one of the shorts, SCHOOL FOR ROMANCE, but officially Gottler was the director of all the Musical Novelty shorts).

One last thing - and perhaps most important: WHEN DO WE EAT was NOT a Musical Novelty short. NOT part of this series! I know where this often perpetuated misconception came from, but it is a mistake. That short was just a regular "All Star" or "Broadway Comedy" (as Columbia called it) short. 

Thanks and keep up the good work!

I hope I made all of the right corrections. I knew I could count on some Eagle Eyes who have studied these better than I have. You should have helped me here... had I known. Ha ha! I am also going by a lot of old magazines that don't always list things correctly... and I make spelling errors galore. I kinda assumed the Stooges fans already knew that Woman Haters is a Musical Novelty, but I should have mentioned that fact here.

#8 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:16 PM

Man the forts! I am going to hog up the "Shorts" forum... AGAIN.

Will do Columbia, then Universal.

#9 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 09:52 AM

Two of the CinemaScope Specials listed here: http://forums.tcm.co...ures/?p=1295296

20th Century Fox made more widescreen travelogues than any other studio, but it is fair to say that other studios like Warner Brothers sometimes put a bit more "oomph" into theirs (and you can't beat mighty Marvin Miller narrating those with as much gusto as he did the Walt Disney TV shows and UPA cartoons).

Fifth Avenue To Fujiyama  / © February 17, 1955

Outpost Korea / © February 8, 1957

#10 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:00 PM

Always fun posting more videos... two released by Educational Pictures in 1920

A Bruce Scenic titled Tropical Nights (released October 10, 1920). Full list of his shorties here: http://forums.tcm.co...ures/?p=1295300

The very first National Geographic Special was handled by Educational Pictures as one of their "specials": http://forums.tcm.co...ures/?p=1295293

Valley of 10, 000 Smokes was released to theaters on July 2, 1920, but filmed four years earlier in an expedition lead by Robert F. Griggs. Father Hubbard returned there in the late thirties for Fox Movietone in his Alaska adventure series. Too bad his film isn't available online, although it was part of a VHS compilation in the 1980s.

#11 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:06 PM

OK. I waited long enough. Time to plop Fox and Educational Pictures.

Man the forts everybody! I will stop traffic on the Shorts Forum... again.

I will, however, wait a few months before doing Universal and Columbia.

I dunno. Maybe SOME of you find these dopey lists helpful. My RKO one only has 156 "views" so far, but Paramount's is gradually making it past 734. If nothing else, my Fox list will give you some idea when the CinemaScope cameras started documenting Japan and South Korea for the first time.

Oh... here are avintage 1939 Fox shorties, part of "Lew Lehr's Dribble Puss Parade" (yes, there was a series labeled that!):

#12 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:07 PM

Nevermind... I did it.

Just stuck to words... wonderful words... and no pictures this time.

I know, I know. I am one nutty weirdo! :wacko:

I will wait a bit before tackling Fox, Educational Pictures, Universal and Columbia. You folks need a rest!

#13 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 04:14 PM

I dunno... should I plop RKO on here next?

#14 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,234 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:48 PM

Thanks for doing these, JLewis. I know people will appreciate your efforts.

• Jlewis likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#15 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:01 PM

OK... whipped up MGM. Did not even ATTEMPT to add pictures this time and... *presto*... I got all of the posts up within 15-20 minutes.

I hope these lists are useful for TCM viewers, especially the MGM and Warner ones. At least these can help with the ol' question of "What was that short TCM just aired last week?"

For fun... a few MGM shorties worth noting pics...

Two Tars (1928) with Laurel & Hardy

Attached File  28-Two Tars.JPG   46.04KB   0 downloads

Teacher's Pet (1930) with June Marlowe as sexy Miss Crabtree and little Jackie Cooper

Attached File  30-Teacher's Pet- Jackie Cooper & June Marlowe.JPG   35.3KB   0 downloads

Trader Hound (1931)

Attached File  31-Trader Hound.JPG   37.41KB   0 downloads

Fine Feathers (1933)... an early Pete Smith "Oddity" in Technicolor

Attached File  33-Fine Feathers.jpg   44.2KB   0 downloads

One of the FitzPatrick Traveltalks... Ireland the Emerald Isle (1934)

Attached File  34-Ireland The Emerald Isle.JPG   70.87KB   0 downloads

Every Sunday (1936) with Judy Garland and Deanna Durbin

Attached File  36-Every Sunday.JPG   44.22KB   0 downloads

Home Movies (1940) with Robert Benchley... after he lights a cigarette around nitrate film. Ooops!

Attached File  40-Home Movies.JPG   35.69KB   0 downloads

Van Johnson in a "Crime Does Not Pay" short For The Common Defense (1942)

Attached File  42-For The Common Defense- Van Johnson.JPG   29.64KB   0 downloads

A moody "Passing Parade" short Stairway To Light (1945)

Attached File  45-Stairway To Light.JPG   35.71KB   0 downloads

Widescreen and stereophonic music: Johnny Green in Strauss Factory (1954)

Attached File  54-Strauss Fantasy- Johnny Green.JPG   22.17KB   0 downloads

• TopBilled likes this

#16 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:47 PM

Completed Warner Brothers. Yes... I know. I am ssssoooooo qwayzeeee!

What I wanted to do is attach images to the lists so that they would be more interesting, but the silly edit functions do not work.

Well... maybe here...

Here are a couple...

Baby Rose Marie The Child Wonder

Robert Ripley in his first shortie of 1930

Gypsy Sweetheart with Margaret DuMont (of the Marx Brothers) and Howard Hickman

Attached File  29-Baby Rose Marie The Child Wonder.JPG   25.27KB   0 downloadsAttached File  30-Believe It Or Not No. 1.JPG   36.88KB   0 downloadsAttached File  34-Gypsy Sweetheart- Margaret DuMont & Howard Hickman.JPG   44.9KB   0 downloads

... and a few more...

Marvin Glenn roping a frisky kitty in Desert Killer

Men Of The Sky with Eleanor Parker and Tod Andrews

Sons of Liberty with Claude Rains and Donald Crisp

Attached File  52-Desert Killer- Marvin Glenn roping a frisky kitty.JPG   67KB   0 downloadsAttached File  42-Men Of The Sky- Eleanor Parker & Tod Andrews.JPG   38.46KB   0 downloadsAttached File  39-Sons Of Liberty (1).JPG   15.93KB   0 downloads

Why I can't post these on the other thread is a mystery, but... it is what it is. Guess there is a quota for threads?

I was going to do MGM next, but maybe I will wait a bit. You folks probably think I have done enough damage here already. Ha ha!

• TopBilled likes this

#17 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:32 AM

Attempting the Warner Bros. list and... ooooohhhh!!!!... this one is a challenge. The edit features on this forum ain't workin' well.

#18 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,234 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:36 PM

I do try to keep them within a certain length. My problem was that the "full editor" was not working well, so I couldn't post images after the first three posts. Yet I was OK posting videos.

I figure I will wait a bit before attempting this again... maybe a week? Today was DEFINITELY not the day for experimenting with all of the goofy stuff going on.

Yes, take some time to figure it out. There is a limit, by the way, on the number of images you can include in a single post. I believe it's five or six, depending on how large the images may be. 

• Jlewis likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#19 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:33 PM

I do try to keep them within a certain length. My problem was that the "full editor" was not working well, so I couldn't post images after the first three posts. Yet I was OK posting videos.

I figure I will wait a bit before attempting this again... maybe a week? Today was DEFINITELY not the day for experimenting with all of the goofy stuff going on.

#20 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,234 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:55 PM

This is definitely an experiment... and like all experiments, open to failure.

I was OK for the first four posts on the other thread.

Now all of the messages like... you know... "Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded"

I think the object of the game is only post a few each day.

I think the solution is to keep the posts a certain length. It's not how many posts but how big the posts are, that seems to be when it times out more frequently.

• Jlewis likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users