We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

How do I add a photo?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Rebecca in NYC

Rebecca in NYC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:57 PM

LawrenceA - Hitchcock is the Master of Suspense, and you are the Master of "How to Change Your Profile Picture on the TCM Message Board"!  Thanks!!

• LawrenceA likes this

#2 Analyzing 59 Classic Films

Analyzing 59 Classic Films

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:18 PM

For some reason, it wouldn't let me add my profile pic from my computer.  It only would add the picture from the URL option.

@59ClassicFilms on Facebook and Twitter

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1546777636  This is my new book on classic films.

#3 Libby

Libby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:56 AM

I got it!  Thank you very much, LawrenceA!

• LawrenceA likes this

#4 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,049 posts
  • LocationThe Phantom Zone

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:23 PM

Okay, this is complicated, so I'll try to be clear and thorough. I'm using a PC laptop with Windows 10 and Chrome as my browser. I'm not sure what difference this makes, but if you are using an Apple device, or another browser, then it may be different. 

First off, I don't know how to add any pics that you may have on your computer, only how to upload those found elsewhere on the internet.

1) Click on your profile name at the top right of your screen.

2) Click on "My Profile" in the drop-down menu.

3) On the left you'll see where your picture will go, which is currently a blank silhouette. If you mouse over it, you'll see a small icon that says "Change". Click that.

4) That will bring up a window called "Photo Editor". 

5) Now click to open a new window, leaving the original window open. Go to Google.com. Do a Google image search to find the picture that you would like to use. When you find one, left-click on the thumbnail once to bring up a preview, 

6) Now right-click on the image, and from the menu choose "Open Image in new tab". This will create a new window that just shows the picture.

7) Now comes the fun part: determining if it will be usable. I can't tell you exactly what is and what is not allowed, but a few rules are to look for pictures that end in a ".jpg" and not ".png". Also avoid any that have the word "encrypted" in the URL. You also need a picture that is not too large. I don't know what the parameters are, but if the picture fills up half of the screen or more, it's probably too big. 

8) Once you have a picture that you think will work, you need to Copy the URL of the "new tab" window by highlighting the address bar and then typing the Ctrl + C keys at the same time.

9) Now go back to the original TCM window that had the "Photo editor" In the blank space where it says "Import a photo from a URL" click that space, and then type Ctrl+V keys at the same time. The copied URL address should show up in the blank bar. Then click the "Import" button. If it fits, and is of the type allowed, it should show up on the left of the photo editor. You may need to use the "Crop Photo" option underneath to line the picture up the way you want it. Just click "Adjust Crop", move the pic where you want it, and then click "Done". You may need to scroll down a small bit within the photo editor to see the "Done" button.

10) You're done!

• LRH, Libby and Rebecca in NYC like this

#5 Libby

Libby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:52 PM

Hi, I am new here and would like to say Hello.  I am, however unable to upload a photo onto my profile.  Also, when I tried to log in from another computer, it said that the password wasn't a match.  So, now I feel that if I log off of this computer I may not get back on to the TCM website. 

#6 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

Calling Barranca. Calling Barranca.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 17 July 2016 - 11:35 AM

I have withdrawn from the competition

FdX2C0H.gif

#7 Tisher Price

Tisher Price

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:43 AM

No, seriously, how do I put up an avatar cos i'm noticing more and more members have recently put up an avatar. How did you do that???? I am so computer illiterate that I fear Bill Gates is going to fly to my apartment in Toronto and **** slap me! I don't know URLs or how to download one or BBcodes and stuff. If anyone does explain this process to me, please instruct me as if I was brain dead... seriously, I think I have Compuphobia....

​"Ya unn't gonna sell this house, an' ya unn't gonna leave it EITHER!"--​Bette Davis as Jane Hudson in What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? (1962)

#8 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:40 AM

I don't believe the size of our pics makes a difference. The system is set up to limit the number of images in a single post to 10 - evidently. I just tried with varying sized pics and 10 was the limit - though I suspect we can add 30 pages of text between each image. 

The limit for YouTube videos is 2. 

The only way I've found to circumvent this limit is to use my MS Paint program to combine the images and comments (text) into a single image or, at least, into a group of 10 or less. The only drawback is the Paint image(s) have a low resolution and the added text appears slightly blurry.

I tried copying the Word document (with images) to a post here, but the Paste from Word widget at the top will only copy/paste the text portion - no images. Using Word to combine images and text into a single document is rendered useless here ... [sigh]

FdX2C0H.gif

#9 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:57 AM

Kid, ignore the message below, a few posts down. It doesn't matter anymore.

Apparently there is a limit on how many photos will fit. I can get 10. I get a you have too many photos message. The older software could handle it. No, I can't make them any smaller. Sucks.

#10 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:27 AM

I've been operating under a different assumption. 

My mistake.

Beginning with your collection of photos on PhotoB:

In the bottom right corner of the PhotoB screen you should see options to upload and download; select Download album.

When it's finished downloading, you'll see the download box in your lower left screen area - click the little arrow at it's right to open the download. You should see a list of all your photos. Choose  Extract all from the top menu, and wait. This will place the visible images into a new folder. In this folder choose Select all from the top menu, then right-click one image and click Copy. Now Paste that into Word. This should dump all your images into your Word at one time.

These images will be in the order you see in your new folder. Before you paste them into Word, you can rearrange them in your folder by renaming them -  adding sequential numbers in front of your current names in the order you wish them to appear.

(e.g.   3 [pic name]    1 [pic name] ;    5 [pic name] ;   2 [pic name]    4 [pic name] )

(they will rearrange themselves as each one is numbered)

I apologize for misunderstanding your goal. I am turning myself into the authorities for head removal... as soon as I finish this bowl of chocolate ice cream.

p.s. Windows 8 thru 10 no longer have the ability to drag and drop images within their folders to arrange as preferred. MS thought we no longer needed that VERY COOL THING !! [ahem!.. sorry]

If you somehow are able to move them around this way, they will revert back to previous positions when you close the folder. First they take away our right to eat pizza with rusty nails on it, now this...

Confused!

I followed the steps and ended up pics on Word. I tried to paste them to the site but i got a message saying that I'm not allowed to post that many pictures.

But what about the URLs? Where are they? Don't I need the URLs to paste onto to Word? Then to here?

:(

#11 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 06 July 2016 - 01:38 PM

My mistake.

In the bottom right corner of the PhotoB screen you should see options to upload and download; select Download album.

When it's finished downloading, you'll see the download box in your lower left screen area - click the little arrow at it's right to open the download. You should see a list of all your photos. Choose  Extract all from the top menu, and wait. This will place the visible images into a new folder. In this folder choose Select all from the top menu, then right-click one image and click Copy. Now Paste that into Word. This should dump all your images into your Word at one time.

These images will be in the order you see in your new folder. Before you paste them into Word, you can rearrange them in your folder by renaming them -  adding sequential numbers in front of your current names in the order you wish them to appear.

(e.g.   3 [pic name]    1 [pic name] ;    5 [pic name] ;   2 [pic name]    4 [pic name] )

I apologize for misunderstanding your goal. I am turning myself into the authorities for head removal... as soon as I finish this bowl of chocolate ice cream.

p.s. Windows 8 thru 10 no longer have the ability to drag and drop images within their folders to arrange as preferred. MS thought we no longer needed that VERY COOL THING !! [ahem!.. sorry]

If you somehow are able to move them around this way, they will revert back to previous positions when you close the folder. First they take away our right to eat pizza with rusty nails on it, now this...

I think my earlier posts might have been unclear.

Leave that head firmly upon that trunk, it is of immense help around here.

I hope you enjoy many ice creams for years to come.

MS likes to torture us. They give us something we love and then take it away. Like God. I think they enjoy doing it, just cuz...

Thanks Kid, great info.

laffite

• Kid Dabb likes this

#12 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:54 AM

Actually, I understand all that.

What I want to do is this because I've done it before but with a previous upgrade.

Move all urls from PhotoB to a Word document. I've always done that one by one. My understand here is that there is a way to move the whole group from PhotoB to Word at one time. Yes or No?

After all the urls on Word I have no trouble entering the text. I don't want to start at the top, post a picture, then text, return-return, then another picture, then text, return-return---I would rather get all the urls on Word because I have no trouble navigating the document to insert my text.

The original problem was the agony of having to use that infernal image box on the top taskbar because that would necessitate doing it one by one. This problem is virtually solved, thanks to you, by using the img field on PhotoB because that allows pasting all the urls directly on Word that can be stored on the computer and tinkered with if necessary and then when ready copy and paste the whole caboodle and Send instead of going one by one with image box at the top.  So using the img field on PhotoB is actually a life saver.

A remaining question is whether or not the urls can be moved from PhotoB to Word (or Notepad) in one shot, instead of one by one. If not, the sky wouldn't fall because I only have 17 pictures and though it would take some time, it wouldn't be that much time.

But the img thing is the big breakthrough.

I may try with Notepad if you think that's better (though I'm not sure why) but I get NoteP just the way you said. By typing on the Start menu, a search box appears and finds Notepad immediately. Normally a right click will produce a menu that allows pinning to the task below but I didn't find that so it is not pinned. But no matter, I don't use it much anyway. I can just load NoteP the long way and be happy about it.

I have all the pictures in a separate folder on PhotoB, is there a way to move the contents of that folder to Word or Notepad without  doing it one by one? I think that's my remaining question. Thanks.

My mistake.

FdX2C0H.gif

#13 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 06 July 2016 - 02:16 AM

You can use Word - it's not as accommodating.

It won't matter which order you paste the URLs in your Word document as they can be rearranged later, but doing them in the order you prefer will eliminate that step later.

If your comments are to be added atop the picture, type them first then hit Return - now paste your first URL on the line under the URL - hit Return twice if you want a space to appear between this and the next image. Reverse this if comment goes under the picture.

Repeat this for every URL/comment. The order of photos at PhotoB is irrelevant - only the order in which you copy/paste into Word.

Using Word -

Adding comment at top of photo and adding a space between each image, we're going for this format:

Comment [Return]
URL # 1 [Return]
[Return]
Comment [Return]
URL # 2 [Return]
[Return]
Comment [Return]
URL # 3 [Return]

etc...

When you get all that copy/pasted into Word, you just go to the top menu bar and Select all - then Copy and paste all that here as a post.

When you Preview Post, you'll see very long URLs from PhotoB. Editing parts of them out after Preview is unnecessary - they shouldn't appear in the final post. The actual, functioning URL appears as the image while the remainder is a PhotoB indentifier unique to you which appears as text in Preview only.

How's it going..?

What steps do you take to open Notepad?

Actually, I understand all that.

What I want to do is this because I've done it before but with a previous upgrade.

Move all urls from PhotoB to a Word document. I've always done that one by one. My understand here is that there is a way to move the whole group from PhotoB to Word at one time. Yes or No?

After all the urls on Word I have no trouble entering the text. I don't want to start at the top, post a picture, then text, return-return, then another picture, then text, return-return---I would rather get all the urls on Word because I have no trouble navigating the document to insert my text.

The original problem was the agony of having to use that infernal image box on the top taskbar because that would necessitate doing it one by one. This problem is virtually solved, thanks to you, by using the img field on PhotoB because that allows pasting all the urls directly on Word that can be stored on the computer and tinkered with if necessary and then when ready copy and paste the whole caboodle and Send instead of going one by one with image box at the top.  So using the img field on PhotoB is actually a life saver.

A remaining question is whether or not the urls can be moved from PhotoB to Word (or Notepad) in one shot, instead of one by one. If not, the sky wouldn't fall because I only have 17 pictures and though it would take some time, it wouldn't be that much time.

But the img thing is the big breakthrough.

I may try with Notepad if you think that's better (though I'm not sure why) but I get NoteP just the way you said. By typing on the Start menu, a search box appears and finds Notepad immediately. Normally a right click will produce a menu that allows pinning to the task below but I didn't find that so it is not pinned. But no matter, I don't use it much anyway. I can just load NoteP the long way and be happy about it.

I have all the pictures in a separate folder on PhotoB, is there a way to move the contents of that folder to Word or Notepad without  doing it one by one? I think that's my remaining question. Thanks.

#14 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:52 PM

You can use Word - it's not as accommodating.

It won't matter which order you paste the URLs in your Word document as they can be rearranged later, but doing them in the order you prefer will eliminate that step later.

If your comments are to be added atop the picture, type them first then hit Return - now paste your first URL on the line under the URL - hit Return twice if you want a space to appear between this and the next image. Reverse this if comment goes under the picture.

Repeat this for every URL/comment. The order of photos at PhotoB is irrelevant - only the order in which you copy/paste into Word.

Using Word -

Adding comment at top of photo and adding a space between each image, we're going for this format:

Comment [Return]
URL # 1 [Return]
[Return]
Comment [Return]
URL # 2 [Return]
[Return]
Comment [Return]
URL # 3 [Return]

etc...

When you get all that copy/pasted into Word, you just go to the top menu bar and Select all - then Copy and paste all that here as a post.

When you Preview Post, you'll see very long URLs from PhotoB. Editing parts of them out after Preview is unnecessary - they shouldn't appear in the final post. The actual, functioning URL appears as the image while the remainder is a PhotoB indentifier unique to you which appears as text in Preview only.

How's it going..?

What steps do you take to open Notepad?

FdX2C0H.gif

#15 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:03 PM

You are welcome, laffite.

I believe you said you wanted to post several pics at the same time. This is no faster, time-wise, but is a bit more organised. First, you'll need to find an app and pin it to your taskbar at the bottom of your screen.

With Windows 8.1 (if I remember correctly) you should have an app from the factory called Notepad. If this is not at the bottom of your screen already, just hit the Windows key in the lower left of your keyboard - then type notepad and hit return (when you're typing you won't see the letters). That should open it.

Now it should show up in your Start menu's recently used app list. Hit that Windows key again to bring back your Start menu - is it there?

Let me know if you've made it this far...

Yes, I have notepad. It opened but I don't see where you pin it to task bar like you normally can (right click and get a menu that gives that option). Perhaps no matter, it's easy enough to load notepad.

Can I use Word? I would rather use Word.

And yes, still not sure how to load all the pics at once.

The order in which the pics appear is critically important.

There are only 17 and it wouldn't be absolutely terrible if I had to do them one at a time.  Much of the original problem is solved because it's much easier to post in the reply box than dealing with the image box at the top.

Doing all at once is easier but if one is out of order can I rearrange them without too much hassle. The order is critically important.

Does posting the urls in one fell swoop mean they have to be in order on PhotoB, because I tried to find how to put them in order there and couldn't figure it out.

I want to get all the urls on a document and then add comments to each picture.

thanks

#16 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:35 PM

You are welcome, laffite.

I believe you said you wanted to post several pics at the same time. This is no faster, time-wise, but is a bit more organised. First, you'll need to find an app and pin it to your taskbar at the bottom of your screen.

With Windows 8.1 (if I remember correctly) you should have an app from the factory called Notepad. If this is not at the bottom of your screen already, just hit the Windows key in the lower left of your keyboard - then type notepad and hit return (when you're typing you won't see the letters). That should open it.

Now it should show up in your Start menu's recently used app list. Hit that Windows key again to bring back your Start menu - is it there?

Let me know if you've made it this far...

FdX2C0H.gif

#17 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 05 July 2016 - 03:25 PM

That's only one image...

Are you using a Windows PC?

I have to bug out for a couple hours. Be back later.

Well, if one works then they all will, correct? ... I used the 'img' that you recommended re Photobucket. As you said, simply pasting in the reply box will result in success. So one, so all.

Yes, Windows PC 8.1 .

Please reply if there is anything further I need to know.

Fantastic job, Kid ... I thank you. Very helpful.

laffite

oh btw, I'm going to need the PREVIEW POST function. Absolutely necessary so I can edit mistakes before hitting SEND. It will be an OP so I hope I can get that Preview, I'll check it.

#18 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 July 2016 - 02:32 PM

That's only one image...

Are you using a Windows PC?

I have to bug out for a couple hours. Be back later.

FdX2C0H.gif

#19 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 05 July 2016 - 02:26 PM

The one labeled img will work. Copy that from each image you want to post and paste it into a Notepad or Word or someplace you can use as computer scratch paper. Copy/paste as many img 's there as you want to post here, then copy all of them at once and paste all of them at once here in a post reply. I just did this using img from Photobucket - see below.

Kepler%20planet%20smaller.jpg

I didn't see anything below but it worked.

The URL was printed out with the picture, placed on top of the picture. Don't want that, so I deleted it. Somehow the picture still showed up. So I don't know what's up with that. I guess I'll have delete that url everytime. Do you know anything about this?

Related question. I was playing around with this and was using PREVIEW POST but I now notice that this option does not always show up. First guess is that you will not get that option if you quote someone in your reply. Is that right?

#20 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 05 July 2016 - 02:22 PM

The only options I have on Photobucket is as follows:

Email & IM

Direct

HTML

img

Are any of the above equivalent to the BBCode thingie?

The one labeled img will work. Copy that from each image you want to post and paste it into a Notepad or Word or someplace you can use as computer scratch paper. Copy/paste as many img 's there as you want to post here, then copy all of them at once and paste all of them at once here in a post reply. I just did this using img from Photobucket - see below.

FdX2C0H.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users