We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Straight Films That Are Actually Gay.

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 11:13 AM

Jaragon, I do think that Albert Stillwell is on his way to being a gay man.

As soon as he meets a fellow Etruscan enthusiast, he will have met his male partner.

And, let's hope, that the couple get serenaded with "Al Di La".

If the film were made now I think the character would come out as gay by the end of the film. 

• rayban likes this

#2 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:31 AM

"Rome Adventure" (1962) Is Albert Stillwell gay coded or just a closet case?  In the film he is a nerd prude who is clueless when it comes to women even when they are practically throwing themselves at him like the photographer at the market.  I doubt that even slutty Lyda got very far and his final marriage proposal to Prudence is played for laughs.  Then there is his obsession with the the Etruscans- "who were keen and skillful lovers to their women, although Theopompus reported that the men preferred boys and youths. A scene at the Tomb of the Bigas illustrates an audience for a chariot race of very cozy men with a homosexual couple making love in plain view"

At the end of the film Albert is not linked to any woman romantically but one can hope that perhaps he met another male Etruscan scholar and they lived happily somewhere in Tuscany

Jaragon, I do think that Albert Stillwell is on his way to being a gay man.

As soon as he meets a fellow Etruscan enthusiast, he will have met his male partner.

And, let's hope, that the couple get serenaded with "Al Di La".

• jaragon likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#3 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:11 AM

"Rome Adventure" (1962) Is Albert Stillwell gay coded or just a closet case?  In the film he is a nerd prude who is clueless when it comes to women even when they are practically throwing themselves at him like the photographer at the market.  I doubt that even slutty Lyda got very far and his final marriage proposal to Prudence is played for laughs.  Then there is his obsession with the the Etruscans- "who were keen and skillful lovers to their women, although Theopompus reported that the men preferred boys and youths. A scene at the Tomb of the Bigas illustrates an audience for a chariot race of very cozy men with a homosexual couple making love in plain view"

At the end of the film Albert is not linked to any woman romantically but one can hope that perhaps he met another male Etruscan scholar and they lived happily somewhere in Tuscany

• rayban likes this

#4 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:54 PM

"League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" (2003) this is a comic book  adaptation in which famous literary characters- the Invisible Man, Mr Hyde etc. team up as fancy literary super heroes.  There is one woman Mina Harker ( Peta Wilson) It's a fairly straight action movie except that one of the characters is Dorian Gray ( Stuart Townsend) Any film with an Oscar Wilde reference is never one hundred percent straight.   Townsend is very sexy Dorian but he spends too much time flirting with Mina when he should be trying to seduce Tom Sawyer ( Shane West). Sawyer is all grown up now and he spends some time bro- bonding with Alan Quatermain ( Sean Connery) - well it's more like daddy-boy bonding- but it goes no where.   I would have love to have seen a Gray-Sawyer love scene- the movie was not a hit so we will have to settle for slash fiction

• rayban likes this

#5 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:22 PM

Recommended reading:  The article on Cat People in Filmstruck   (the Streamline section) and the comments following it.

• Jlewis, jaragon and rayban like this

#6 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:04 PM

... and both ladies do great jobs with their performances. I mean... you can't fail with Joan Greenwood, a major star from the Ealing Era a.k.a. Kind Hearts and Coronets and soon to make Tom Jones another two years down the line.

They are both effective as romantic eye candy and comic foil-  the women also work as hard as the men.

#7 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:01 AM

... and both ladies do great jobs with their performances. I mean... you can't fail with Joan Greenwood, a major star from the Ealing Era a.k.a. Kind Hearts and Coronets and soon to make Tom Jones another two years down the line.

• jaragon likes this

#8 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:16 PM

I think that whole cast was straight, at least publicly. One was previously married to Bette Davis, although he looked happier with the dudes than he did with her in All About Eve a decade earlier. (I think the two divorced right about the time it started filming.) I also think the writers over-emphasized the heter-"normality" by making the younger attractive couple hook up, even if he only showed interest in her when they got stuck in the bee hive.

Now... the star of that other vintage Harryhausen opus, The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, was Kirwin Mathews, who "came out" much earlier than others. One thing I have noticed is that he puts more gusto in his wooing of Bing Crosby's young wife, probably because it all seemed "safe". Like Rock Hudson always wooing Doris Day.

Kerwin Mathews was gay but he was very good actor who beyond his matinee idol looks was a very convincing "straight" leading man.   In the novel "Mysterious Island" there are no women or giant creatures.  Cute women like shirtless young men never hurt the box office.  ;)

• Jlewis and rayban like this

#9 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:40 PM

I think that whole cast was straight, at least publicly. One was previously married to Bette Davis, although he looked happier with the dudes than he did with her in All About Eve a decade earlier. (I think the two divorced right about the time it started filming.) I also think the writers over-emphasized the heter-"normality" by making the younger attractive couple hook up, even if he only showed interest in her when they got stuck in the bee hive.

Now... the star of that other vintage Harryhausen opus, The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, was Kirwin Mathews, who "came out" much earlier than others. One thing I have noticed is that he puts more gusto in his wooing of Bing Crosby's young wife, probably because it all seemed "safe". Like Rock Hudson always wooing Doris Day.

• jaragon and rayban like this

#10 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:05 PM

For some reason, a lot of shirts were off in sci fi and fantasy films during the 1953-63 period, ironically the decade when it seemed that everybody was staying in the closet and "lavender marriages" were at their peak (more so than the 1930s). Homosexuality/bisexuality made you vulnerable to blackmail by The Commies and the McCarthy/Eisenhower purge, in the government positions in particular, was in full swing in 1953 and through the decade.

Yet it seemed curious that so many were strutting their stuff in a genre that was less popular with women than young man feeling their urges. For example, they all get shirtless in THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND, but there are only two women for.. what? Six guys? Beth Rogen hooks Michael Callen, probably because he is bored with all of the bro-bonding. Very sensuous Joan Greenwood might "convert" better than any Mike Pence "pray away" therapy since she is just oozing with sensuality, even when holding a gun against the Phorusrhacos. Not sure if Michael Craig is taking the bait, since he enjoys micro-managing his guys.

Of course, the greatest film of the era was THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN. My only question is how he was able to make clothes so easily with scraps in the basement. Talk about prudishness.

Also let's not forget Rod Taylor in WORLD WITHOUT END. Of course, the guys must ignore him, but SHE doesn't.

I just saw "Mysterious Island" on blu ray- Cy Enfield must have been straight because there are not enough shirtless scenes.  Yes there is a plenty of bromantic potential until the women show up.   Captain Nemo (Herbert Lom) might be gay coded no only is he a scientific genius but has a great sense of style.  He even tries to impress the handsome Captain Harding (Michael Craig) with the Nautilus power - sadly it goes no where. 

#11 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:28 PM

For some reason, a lot of shirts were off in sci fi and fantasy films during the 1953-63 period, ironically the decade when it seemed that everybody was staying in the closet and "lavender marriages" were at their peak (more so than the 1930s). Homosexuality/bisexuality made you vulnerable to blackmail by The Commies and the McCarthy/Eisenhower purge, in the government positions in particular, was in full swing in 1953 and through the decade.

Yet it seemed curious that so many were strutting their stuff in a genre that was less popular with women than young man feeling their urges. For example, they all get shirtless in THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND, but there are only two women for.. what? Six guys? Beth Rogen hooks Michael Callen, probably because he is bored with all of the bro-bonding. Very sensuous Joan Greenwood might "convert" better than any Mike Pence "pray away" therapy since she is just oozing with sensuality, even when holding a gun against the Phorusrhacos. Not sure if Michael Craig is taking the bait, since he enjoys micro-managing his guys.

Of course, the greatest film of the era was THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN. My only question is how he was able to make clothes so easily with scraps in the basement. Talk about prudishness.

Also let's not forget Rod Taylor in WORLD WITHOUT END. Of course, the guys must ignore him, but SHE doesn't.

The villain in "World Without End" seems gay coded -maybe he wanted Rod Taylor to himself

#12 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 11:25 AM

#13 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:28 AM

"Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1959) there is nothing overtly gay about this sci-fi adventure classic well except that Alec (Pat Boone) and Hans ( Peter Ronson) loose most of their clothes on the journey.  Professor Linderbrook ( James Mason) and Carla (Arlene Dhal) are clearly a romantic couple ( there are no women in Jules Verne's novel)  The villain Count Saknussen ( Thayer David) is gay coded who  lusts after the shirtless Alec. Saknussen's man servant got killed on the way and he needs a replacement.   Alec who has a girlfriend Jenny ( Diane Baker) refuses and the count shoots him!   Alec recovers and has more time to bond with Hans who doesn't speak English but I'm sure they understood each other. It gets cold and lonely down in the center of the Earth ;)

• Jlewis likes this

#14 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:01 PM

I watched BIGGER THAN LIFE with James Mason last night and I read the article on the TCM Schedule.  The author said, and I am paraphrasing here, that Walter Matthau's  character may be the most subtle gay character (or subtext) ever on film.  If so, it was so subtle I don't think I picked up on it (I do know that subtlety is key in many 1950's melodramas).  He was a gym teacher and a friend to James' character and his family.  Was it his (non)relationship with the hot lady school teacher?  Is anyone else familiar with this movie and have any thoughts to share?  By the way, I really liked BIGGER THAN LIFE and it reminded me of some of Douglas Sirk's work but was directed by Nicholas Ray.  

It's an amazing film

• rayban likes this

#15 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:26 PM

I watched BIGGER THAN LIFE with James Mason last night and I read the article on the TCM Schedule.  The author said, and I am paraphrasing here, that Walter Matthau's  character may be the most subtle gay character (or subtext) ever on film.  If so, it was so subtle I don't think I picked up on it (I do know that subtlety is key in many 1950's melodramas).  He was a gym teacher and a friend to James' character and his family.  Was it his (non)relationship with the hot lady school teacher?  Is anyone else familiar with this movie and have any thoughts to share?  By the way, I really liked BIGGER THAN LIFE and it reminded me of some of Douglas Sirk's work but was directed by Nicholas Ray.  

#16 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:08 PM

Yes, indeed, it's "Look at me, I am always here for you!"

• jaragon likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#17 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:29 PM

"A Yank At Oxford" - 1938 - strong homoerotic subtext -

An American student, Lee Sheridan (Robert Taylor) is granted a year at Oxford University - he experiences the usual "culture clash" - there is a strong anti-American sentiment at Oxford - there is the usual "girl trouble" - Lee is attracted to an English student, Molly (Maureen O'Sullivan) and Paul, her brother, (Griffith Jones) is having an affair with Elsa, the wife of the local bookshop owner - but the true crux of the film is "the troubled relationship" between Lee and Paul - they are constantly at each other's throats (although the actors - Taylor and Jones - do seem attracted to each other) in that usual early film way - "I do want you, believe me, but I can't have you, but, by harressing you constantly, you'll always be a part of my life" -

the plot explodes when Lee decides to save Paul by admitting to an affair with Elsa, who's having a rendezvous with Paul in Paul's room and, then, is "sent down" and sent home -

Paul is finally bowled over by Lee's "sacrifice" -

of course, it's love, nothing more -

the matter is "resolved" when another student takes the blame because he has always wanted to be "sent down" (but finally isn't) -

Lee is allowed to return to Oxford and Paul could not be happier -

at the end, when Lee and Paul reconcile - they've reached a greater understanding of their relationship - they are instrumental in winning a rowing competition - 

Lee collapses backwards into Paul's lap -

a place that he has always wanted to be! -

and it is a great underhanded salute to male coupling in the late 30's!

a-yank-at-oxford-year-1938-director-jack

Well you know what all that fighting is really all about!

• rayban likes this

#18 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 05:28 PM

"A Yank at Oxford" was remade as " Oxford Blues" (1984) a Rob Lowe vehicle ( Tom Cruise was too busy?!)  the very 80's trailer promises plenty of bromance with Julian Sands ,  cute guys in shorts ; Rob doing some sort of fashion montage in which his butt is on display and the climax in which he gets a beer shower from the team- " he came to Oxford to meet a girl but he go something more important"!

• rayban likes this

#19 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:50 AM

"A Yank At Oxford" - 1938 - strong homoerotic subtext -

An American student, Lee Sheridan (Robert Taylor) is granted a year at Oxford University - he experiences the usual "culture clash" - there is a strong anti-American sentiment at Oxford - there is the usual "girl trouble" - Lee is attracted to an English student, Molly (Maureen O'Sullivan) and Paul, her brother, (Griffith Jones) is having an affair with Elsa, the wife of the local bookshop owner - but the true crux of the film is "the troubled relationship" between Lee and Paul - they are constantly at each other's throats (although the actors - Taylor and Jones - do seem attracted to each other) in that usual early film way - "I do want you, believe me, but I can't have you, but, by harressing you constantly, you'll always be a part of my life" -

the plot explodes when Lee decides to save Paul by admitting to an affair with Elsa, who's having a rendezvous with Paul in Paul's room and, then, is "sent down" and sent home -

Paul is finally bowled over by Lee's "sacrifice" -

of course, it's love, nothing more -

the matter is "resolved" when another student takes the blame because he has always wanted to be "sent down" (but finally isn't) -

Lee is allowed to return to Oxford and Paul could not be happier -

at the end, when Lee and Paul reconcile - they've reached a greater understanding of their relationship - they are instrumental in winning a rowing competition - 

Lee collapses backwards into Paul's lap -

a place that he has always wanted to be! -

and it is a great underhanded salute to male coupling in the late 30's!

a-yank-at-oxford-year-1938-director-jack

• jaragon likes this

#20 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:02 PM

The sailor theme musical from "Anchors Aweigh" to "South Pacific" seem to share a strong homoerotic subtext- not too mention plenty of male eye candy.  Sailors and their tight pants seem better suited for song and dance numbers-as Mr Channing Tatum  and company clearly illustrate in this  production number from "Hail Caesar"https://youtu.be/VVQ0JFzXMgY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users