We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Johnny Weissmuller

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 bOb39

bOb39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:11 AM

I agree with you about the chimp. That stuff wore thin real fast in my view. But Taran chasing down a gang of murderous thugs is not much of a challenge for him. It wasn't boring, but I thought it was close. It was better than his other Tarzan pictures, though. Scott's first 3 or four Tarzan movies were yawners. For me maybe half of Weissmuller's were the best. Even Lex Barker made 1 decent Tarzan movie. Tarzan's Peril. bOb.

#22 blackhangman

blackhangman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:20 AM

I'd have to agree with Markus21--Scott is, for my money, the best Tarzan. The fact that the films were shot on location, in color, no Jane and a chimp that doesn't get as much screen time as Tarzan all make for good viewing. I also like the fact that Tarzan speaks correct English, something not seen since Bruce Bennett did it in 1935's NEW ADVENTURES OF TARZAN. The supporting casts are also good, especially TARZAN, THE MAGNIFICENT where he chases down Abel Banton (John Carradine) and his murdering brood, headed up by Jock Mahoney. Far and away the best.

#23 BronxGuy

BronxGuy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:59 AM

A few years ago, I read it was Cheetah's 75th birthday. The article mentioned that Cheetah had played in Tarzan movies with Lex Barker. This got my suspicions up immediately because I identify Cheetah with Johnny. I contacted the owner of Cheetah through a forum like this one, and verified it was "Weismuller's" Cheetah. He is in retirement in california. I learned he had given up cigars years ago and spends his time painting. A few days later I get a note from a guy from Ft. Lauderdale asking my advice about whether I thought a purchase of one of Cheetah's paintings would be a good investment. Anyway, to make my story brief, this guy kept a running dialogue with me for a few months and would not believe that I hadn't a clue about Cheetah's artworks. So I just humored him with the best advice I could and he eventually bought a painting for around $400. All on the up and up, he was very thorough in making sure of its authanticity. It now hangs in his den.

#24 bOb39

bOb39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:30 PM

I didn't know those things about Gordon Scott. I'm impressed. I'm betting he's a real nice guy, too. I didn't care all that much for him as Tarzan, though. Image-wise, he looked as though he just came from a gym. Weissmuller had a natural, feral-man look. The remark about Weissmuller' voice, I don't agree. I've heard it before. I don't get it. It's like you are hearing a different sound-track than I hear when I watch a Weissmuller movie.
I watch Tarzan's Greatest Adventure and Tarzan the Magnificent, and I see a story of Tarzan of the Apes, mighty hunter, mighty fighter struggling to hunt down 3 or 4 ordinary bad guys. I think these 2 movies are often considered the best of the series based only on their titles.
I'm critisizing the Gordon Scott Tarzan movies, but I could just as much criticize the Weissmullers as well. But I still love them. I think maybe partly, because they were engrained in my soul as a young boy. bOb.

#25 d120421

d120421

Advanced Member

• TCM_allow
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 04:26 PM

I disagree. For my money, Gordon Scott was the best screen Tarzan, and his last two films in the series (Tarzan's Greatest Adventure and Tarzan The Magnificent) the best films in the series. For me, Scott, who unlike Weismuller, was trained in martial arts, hand-to-hand combat, bareback riding and trapeze work and thus did almost all of his own stunts, simply had an authority and naturalness chasing down the jungle fauna while running through its' flora that Weissmuller and the others couldn't match.

I do like the Weissmuller films quite a lot, and I think he played the role well, but that very high,flat, nasal voice of his was a real turn-off for me, and the constant use of a stunt double in the fast-motion vine swinging scenes (with the trapeze bar clearly visible) made Tarzan's "travellin' scenes" seem a little ludicrious to me.

#26 bOb39

bOb39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:43 AM

Yes. Weissmuller was the best Tarzan. I loved the Tarzan movies as I was growing up. The Weissmuller/Tarzans are the only ones I still like. But maybe I've seen them too many times. I can't watch any one of them without wishing that something in each one was done differently. I cringe whenever I see the scene in Tarzan's New York Adventure, where Jane gives him the OK to search for Boy on his own. He immediately turns and leaps through the window, dozens of floors above the street. Not even an idiot would have done that.
Also, later in the movie, when he is exiting the trailer and is suddenly surrounded by a gang of circus crewmen, there should have been a spectacular fight scene. Dissappointing.
Tarzan and the Amazons should have ended with all the main characters captured by the Amazons and sentenced to the arena to die at the claws and fangs of hungry lions. Tarzan would save the good guys and let the lions have their way with the bad guys. This would have been a much more dramatic and exciting finale.
Like I said. I've seen them too often. I keep wondering how much greater they could have been with bigger budgets and more creative stunts and special effects. Oh well. Too late now.

#27 TOOMANYNOTES

TOOMANYNOTES

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:05 AM

'

Message was edited by:
TOOMANYNOTES

#28 derick

derick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 12:08 PM

Tarzans Secret Treasure is the best Tarzan movie.

#29 derick

derick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 12:00 PM

Best Tarzan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users