We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Your Favourite Performances from 2002 are...

• Please log in to reply
4727 replies to this topic

#3941 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 03 April 2016 - 05:43 PM

I didn't find any worth mentioning. I considered Rooney from Boys Town, but I spent 3/4 of the movie wanting to slap him, hard, so I decided against him.

That's the feeling I have watching Mickey Rooney in almost every film of his I've seen.  Usually the only reason I'll watch a film that he's in is because I like his co-stars.  If Rooney is the sole draw to the film, it'll be harder for me to work up the desire to watch the film.  He just irritates me to the very end--and he's not even cute! The least he could do is be attractive to make up for how annoying he is.

• kingrat and GregoryPeckfan like this

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#3942 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Cineaste

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,074 posts
  • LocationLook Out!

Posted 03 April 2016 - 04:58 PM

I don't recall ever seeing White Banners so I hope TCM shows this film.    Big fan of Fay Bainter (she always brings a steady presence to a film),  and I love that crazy teen Bonita Granville.  

I don't know if TCM has ever shown it. I finally saw it on YouTube about 3 or 4 years ago after looking for it for several years prior.

#3943 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,059 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 April 2016 - 04:54 PM

In anticipation of this week's 1938 films, I watched or re-watched three films from that year, Boys Town among them. I enjoy Rooney's performance in his earlier scenes when he's playing the kid with attitude. He brings some life to the film, at least. However, in his character's later scenes, after he (predictably) changes, he turns into, literally, the biggest cry baby you could ever hope to not see in the movies. And Rooney's overacting in those scenes I found quite unbearable.

Another film that I saw last week (for the first time) was White Banners. Even though I didn't nominate any of its performances on my list of the year's best, it's a difficult film not to like, reminding me a bit of Four Daughters with its family setting, though not a sweetly sentimental as that film. Claude Rains was a pleasure to watch, as usual, as the easy going father of the family (with Kay Johnson as his wife and Bonita Granville his boy crazy daughter). And Fay Bainter, in  her only Oscar nomination as best actress, was commendable in her understated performance as the homeless stranger who becomes housekeeper and spiritual guide to the family. A lovely, if minor, little drama, one that it's a shame doesn't come on TCM very often.

I don't recall ever seeing White Banners so I hope TCM shows this film.    Big fan of Fay Bainter (she always brings a steady presence to a film),  and I love that crazy teen Bonita Granville.  

#3944 GregoryPeckfan

GregoryPeckfan

Movie Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts
  • LocationCanada - where we have free press

Posted 03 April 2016 - 04:13 PM

This is another low-turnout year for me. So much so, in fact, that I'm going to wait until after today's showing of The Young in Heart to post my list- hah.

This category was an easy one, though,

Best Synergy

Basil Radford and Naunton Wayne - The Lady Vanishes

bfi-00m-zkz.jpg?itok=32ho3EcQ

When deciding who my award for my own Hitchcock category would be that I have already listed in my Hitchcock thread in the favourites, I did not bother to separate the two of them when I listed all my candidates from TLV.  I simply listed them as the British gentlemen interested in cricket....

Peter Fonda and Gregory Peck are my heroes.

#3945 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Cineaste

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,074 posts
  • LocationLook Out!

Posted 03 April 2016 - 04:03 PM

Another film that I saw last week (for the first time) was White Banners.  And Fay Bainter, in  her only Oscar nomination as best actress, was commendable in her understated performance as the homeless stranger who becomes housekeeper and spiritual guide to the family. A lovely, if minor, little drama, one that it's a shame doesn't come on TCM very often.

I liked that film as well, and Bainter made my list of best actresses. 

• TomJH likes this

#3946 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 03:59 PM

I didn't find any worth mentioning. I considered Rooney from Boys Town, but I spent 3/4 of the movie wanting to slap him, hard, so I decided against him.

In anticipation of this week's 1938 films, I watched or re-watched three films from that year, Boys Town among them. I enjoy Rooney's performance in his earlier scenes when he's playing the kid with attitude. He brings some life to the film, at least. However, in his character's later scenes, after he (predictably) changes, he turns into, literally, the biggest cry baby you could ever hope to not see in the movies. And Rooney's overacting in those scenes I found quite unbearable.

Another film that I saw last week (for the first time) was White Banners. Even though I didn't nominate any of its performances on my list of the year's best, it's a difficult film not to like, reminding me a bit of Four Daughters with its family setting, though not a sweetly sentimental as that film. Claude Rains was a pleasure to watch, as usual, as the easy going father of the family (with Kay Johnson as his wife and Bonita Granville his boy crazy daughter). And Fay Bainter, in  her only Oscar nomination as best actress, was commendable in her understated performance as the homeless stranger who becomes housekeeper and spiritual guide to the family. A lovely, if minor, little drama, one that it's a shame doesn't come on TCM very often.

• kingrat, Bogie56 and GregoryPeckfan like this

#3947 Kay

Kay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 03:57 PM

This is another low-turnout year for me. So much so, in fact, that I'm going to wait until after today's showing of The Young in Heart to post my list- hah.

This category was an easy one, though,

Best Synergy

Basil Radford and Naunton Wayne - The Lady Vanishes

bfi-00m-zkz.jpg?itok=32ho3EcQ

• kingrat, TomJH, Princess of Tap and 1 other like this

#3948 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 03 April 2016 - 03:37 PM

Here are my choices of the 59 films I've seen from 1938 for…

Best Supporting Actress of 1938

1.  FAY BAINTER (Aunt Belle Massey), Jezebel

2.  GABRIELLE DORZIAT (Mathilde Mollenard), Mollenard

3.  BEULAH BONDI (Rose Elliott), The Sisters

4.  SPRING BYINGTON (Penny Sycamore), You Can't Take It With You

5.  MAY WHITTY (Miss Froy), The Lady Vanishes

6.  MAY ROBSON (Aunt Elizabeth Carlton Random), Bringing Up Baby

7.  BINNIE BARNES (Lady Claire Mere), The Divorce of Lady X

8.  UNA O'CONNOR (Bess), The Adventures of Robin Hood

9.  JEAN CADELL (Mrs. Pearce), Pygmalion

10.  JO ANN SAYERS (Barbara Chanler), Young Dr. Kildare

and ...

JANE BRYAN (Grace Elliott Knivel), The Sisters

MARIE LOHR (Mrs. Higgins), Pygmalion

MARGARET LINDSAY (Amy Bradford Dillard), Jezebel

BEULAH BONDI (Mrs. Morgan), Vivacious Lady

ANITA LOUISE (Helen Elliott Johnson), The Sisters

KARIN KAVLI (Mrs. Wegert), A Woman’s Face

FRANCES DEE (Katherine DeVaucelles), If I Were King

• speedracer5, kingrat, TomJH and 2 others like this

#3949 GregoryPeckfan

GregoryPeckfan

Movie Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 03:36 PM

:P

Well, I am a fan of other actors in the film, which is why I couldn't choose from that film.  I love Bob Watson, for example...

#3950 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Cineaste

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,074 posts
  • LocationLook Out!

Posted 03 April 2016 - 03:29 PM

I think I will go ahead and mention my Juvenile Award today as well as Best Ensemble that I mentioned as I noticed that Lawrence had no winner.  I don't know if it was because he couldn't break a tie, or because he didn't see any favourites.  I had a hard time breaking a tie.

• kingrat, TomJH, Princess of Tap and 1 other like this

#3951 GregoryPeckfan

GregoryPeckfan

Movie Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 03:21 PM

Thoughts on the posts since I left for church this morning:

David Niven became a star because of Dawn Patrol.   Once that film was released, he was a movie star.

I think I will go ahead and mention my Juvenile Award today as well as Best Ensemble that I mentioned as I noticed that Lawrence had no winner.  I don't know if it was because he couldn't break a tie, or because he didn't see any favourites.  I had a hard time breaking a tie.

For me, the Juvenile award winner goes to Freddie Bartholomew for various films.

I decided to do this rather than look at a single performance.  Had I done that, I would have chosen one of the cast of Boys Town, as soon as I could decided which was my favourite -which I couldn't. 

#3952 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Cineaste

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,074 posts
  • LocationLook Out!

Posted 03 April 2016 - 01:50 PM

Best Actor

Jean Gabin  La Bete Humaine****

Leslie Howard  Pygmalion

Errol Flynn  The Adventures of Robin Hood

James Cagney  Angels with Dirty Faces

Charles Boyer  Algiers

Cary Grant  Bringing Up Baby

Spencer Tracy  Boys Town

Best Actress

Wendy Hiller  Pygmalion****

Bette Davis  Jezebel

Katharine Hepburn  Bringing Up Baby

Margaret Sullavan  The Shopworn Angel

Simone Simon  La Bete Humaine

Margaret Sullavan  Three Comrades

Fay Bainter  White Banners

Best Supporting Actor

Basil Rathbone  The Adventures of Robin Hood****

John Garfield  Four Daughters

Edward Everett Horton  Holiday

Spencer Tracy  Test Pilot

Charles Coburn  Vivacious Lady

Best Supporting Actress

Hattie McDaniel  The Mad Miss Manton****

May Whitty  The Lady Vanishes

Billie Burke  Merrily We Live

Gladys George  Marie Antoinette

Patsy Kelly  Merrily We Live

Best Ensemble

You Can't Take It with You

Best Juvenile Performance

None

• kingrat, TomJH, Bogie56 and 2 others like this

#3953 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:25 PM

Winner in BOLD

BEST FILM

The Adventures of Robin Hood

Bringing Up Baby

Test Pilot

The Dawn Pilot

Jezebel

Four Daughters

Holiday

BEST ACTOR

Errol Flynn, The Adventures of Robin Hood

Cary Grant, Bringing Up Baby

Cary Grant, Holiday

Clark Gable, Test Pilot

Edward G. Robinson, The Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse

BEST ACTRESS

Bette Davis, Jezebel

Katharine Hepburn, Bringing Up Baby

Penny Singleton, Blondie

Lucille Ball, The Affairs of Annabel

Bonita Granville, Nancy Drew: Detective

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Basil Rathbone, The Adventures of Robin Hood

David Niven, The Dawn Patrol

Herbert Mundin, The Adventures of Robin Hood

John Garfield, Four Daughters

Asta, Bringing Up Baby

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Fay Bainter, Jezebel

Una O'Connor, The Adventures of Robin Hood

May Robson, Bringing Up Baby

Priscilla Lane, Four Daughters

Rosalind Russell, Four's a Crowd

BEST CAST

BEST COSTUMES

BEST SOUND 

(This includes Erich Wolfgang Korngold's wonderful score)

BEST FILM THAT WAS ROBBED OF AN OSCAR

FUNNIEST DOG SCENE

TIE 

The pack of guard dogs who chase Errol Flynn off the property twice, in Four's A Crowd.

Asta as "George" in Bringing Up Baby who runs off with Cary Grant's "intercostal clavicle." 

MOST ANNOYING ACTOR

TIE

Patric Knowles in Four's a Crowd

Hugh Herbert in Four's a Crowd

BEST USE OF COLOR IN A BLACK AND WHITE FILM

Bette Davis' red gown in Jezebel

BEST ACROBAT

Cary Grant in Holiday

FUNNIEST LINE:

Cary Grant: "I just went gay all of a sudden!" in Bringing Up Baby

BEST DRESS

Katharine Hepburn's gold lame gown with the almost invisible veil in Bringing Up Baby

MOST HEARTWRENCHING MOMENT

David Niven volunteering for the suicide mission and Errol Flynn sabotages his ability to complete the mission by getting him drunk.  While passed out, Flynn leaves for the mission and sacrifices himself for the good of the squadron in The Dawn Patrol

BEST PUBLICITY SCHEMES

Lucille Ball as actress Annabel Allison who allows herself to be roped into wild publicity stunts plotted and arranged by agent Jack Oakie in The Affairs of Annabel.

• kingrat, TomJH, Bogie56 and 3 others like this

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#3954 TomJH

TomJH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:05 PM

The Bizarro Award, combined this year with the "Mine Is Bigger Than Yours" Award, to LORETTA YOUNG in SUEZ. Realizing that Annabella had a much better role (especially since Miss Loretta didn't get into the sexy/evil potential of her own character), Miss Young only agreed to take the part if she had final say over her costumes. In one scene she wears a gown approximately the size of Rhode Island. They had to widen the door of the set for her to get through. That's one way of getting attention.

You're not kidding . . .

s-l300.jpg

Somebody widen that door. Loretta's coming!

• kingrat likes this

#3955 TomJH

TomJH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:53 AM

A couple of special awards:

The "Who You Callin' a Sissy?" Award to EDWARD EVERETT HORTON, for believably playing the husband of Binnie Barnes in HOLIDAY. They make a charming couple.

Pardon me for digressing for a moment but this new category of kingrat's reminds me of a scene in 1933's International House when W. C. Fields lands his plane in Who Hoo, China and asks people where he is.

The immortal Franklin Pangborn is in the crowd and calls out to him, "Who Hoo!"

Fields, after looking at Pangborn, removes a flower from his lapel and simply says, "Don't let the posie fool you."

images_zpsknjwu7nr.jpg

And now . . . back to 1938.

• kingrat and Bogie56 like this

#3956 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:03 AM

Thanks, Bogie. But what about Mary Astor in PARADISE FOR THREE? I tentatively have her in the lead category.

I've never seen that one so make your best call.  But I do have Mary Astor in the lead for the upcoming The Great Lie (1941) which will rob her of her supporting Oscar.  We can discuss further with everyone in your 'Lead or Supporting role' thread if you like.

#3957 kingrat

kingrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:02 AM

A couple of special awards:

The "Who You Callin' a Sissy?" Award to EDWARD EVERETT HORTON, for believably playing the husband of Binnie Barnes in HOLIDAY. They make a charming couple.

The Bizarro Award, combined this year with the "Mine Is Bigger Than Yours" Award, to LORETTA YOUNG in SUEZ. Realizing that Annabella had a much better role (especially since Miss Loretta didn't get into the sexy/evil potential of her own character), Miss Young only agreed to take the part if she had final say over her costumes. In one scene she wears a gown approximately the size of Rhode Island. They had to widen the door of the set for her to get through. That's one way of getting attention.

• TomJH, Bogie56, LawrenceA and 2 others like this

#3958 kingrat

kingrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:52 AM

Leading vs. Supporting Categories…

In 1938, Oscar put Beulah Bondi in the Supporting Actress category for Of Human Hearts.  I think she was clearly the leading actress in this film and this is again a case of putting a character actor in the lesser category.

And I think Meliza Korjus belongs in the lead actress category for The Great Waltz

Thanks, Bogie. But what about Mary Astor in PARADISE FOR THREE? I tentatively have her in the lead category.

#3959 TomJH

TomJH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,552 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:37 AM

1938 BEST ENSEMBLE:

From now on I will switch the categories I have been doing on Sunday and Monday.  This will give me more time to relax my fingers on Sundays.  So today will be my:

BEST ENSEMBLE - of a lifetime as Tom says

The Adventures of  Robin Hood:

Errol Flynn

Basil Rathbone

Olivia DeHaviland

Alan Hale Sr.

Eugene Palette

Patrick Knowles

Una O'Conner

Claude Rains

And many others..

top.5.jpg

mid.1.jpg

• Bogie56, film lover 293 and GregoryPeckfan like this

#3960 GregoryPeckfan

GregoryPeckfan

Movie Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:16 AM

1938 BEST ENSEMBLE:

From now on I will switch the categories I have been doing on Sunday and Monday.  This will give me more time to relax my fingers on Sundays.  So today will be my:

BEST ENSEMBLE - of a lifetime as Tom says

The Adventures of  Robin Hood:

Errol Flynn

Basil Rathbone

Olivia DeHaviland

Alan Hale Sr.

Eugene Palette

Patrick Knowles

Una O'Conner

Claude Rains

And many others..

• TomJH, LawrenceA and film lover 293 like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bogie56