We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Your Favourite Performances from 2005 are...

• Please log in to reply
4883 replies to this topic

#1 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,153 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted Today, 12:35 PM

Best Supporting Actor of 2005

8.  GHASSAN MASSOUD (Saladin), Kingdom of Heaven

9849e34981a8681bbb952f13dc58da0b--king-o

Speaking of acting behind a mask, I almost noted Edward Norton's performance as King Baldwin in Kingdom of Heaven (2005).  He wears the mask to conceal the ravage of leprosy.

250px-Ghassan_Massoud.jpg

But I did list Ghassan Massoud, the Syrian actor who plays Saladin who took Palestine during the crusades.  Massoud played the great warrior with dignity, intelligence and power.

• LawrenceA likes this

#2 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,252 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted Today, 10:48 AM

Actor James Purefoy quit this movie shortly after production began. He had the lead role, but he felt it was too difficult to act behind the mask for the entire film. I thought Weaving did an excellent job.

Purefoy, a great actor, later got the opportunity to play a supporting role in a film about a dystopian Britain, in High-Rise (2015). My favorite Purefoy performances are in Bedrooms and Hallways (in which Weaving also has a priceless supporting role); but most of all as the lead in A Dance to the Music of Time, a television dramatization of Anthony Powell's novels. Purefoy plays the adult Nick Jenkins, although in the final episode an older Jenkins was played by John Standing, which was a mistake. Purefoy should have been allowed to age in the role as a few of the other actors in the series did. Nevertheless the series is a masterpiece of television period drama.

James-Purefoy-and-Emma-Fi-010.jpg?w=300&

• Bogie56 and LawrenceA like this

#3 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Caretaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,461 posts
  • LocationThe Overlook Hotel

Posted Today, 10:35 AM

V for Vendetta is an adaptation of Alan Moore's graphic novel. It's a dystopian tale about a totalitarian regime in the U.K. Hugo Weaving has the difficult task of playing an underground resistance leader wearing a mask. Natalie Portman had her head shaven to play the civilian who doesn't know who to trust. It's somewhere in between comic book style and serious drama.

Actor James Purefoy quit this movie shortly after production began. He had the lead role, but he felt it was too difficult to act behind the mask for the entire film. I thought Weaving did an excellent job.

It's difficult to replicate the effect that this movie had at the time of its release. Many people wrongly dismissed it as yet another comic book superhero movie, when in fact it may have been one of the most political and socially critical films of the decade. It came out as the War on Terror was in full swing, with the wars in both Afghanistan and Iraq raging on and looking to never end. In the film, the country has been in an neverending war with foreign terrorists. The Bush Jr administration was releasing statements that any criticism of the administration was un-American. The same thing is stated by the fascistic leader played by John Hurt. The populace in the movie was kept duped and in line by the state news agency, primarily from a charismatic blowhard who fumes and rants each night at 8. This was during the ascendancy of Fox News, with Bill O'Reilly at 8 each night fuming and thundering in support of the White House line. And most shockingly, the film asks the audience to sympathize with and even root for a terrorist, one who is determined to bomb a large government building. Just think about the cojones it took to not only suggest this story be made by a major studio, but then for them to actually do it.

• Bogie56 likes this

#4 CoraSmith

CoraSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted Today, 08:24 AM

V for Vendetta is an adaptation of Alan Moore's graphic novel. It's a dystopian tale about a totalitarian regime in the U.K. Hugo Weaving has the difficult task of playing an underground resistance leader wearing a mask. Natalie Portman had her head shaven to play the civilian who doesn't know who to trust. It's somewhere in between comic book style and serious drama.

evey-v2.jpg

L'Enfant ("The Child") is a drama by Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne. They usually work with actors who don't have a star status, with long takes in a realistic style. The scenes are shot chronologically in order to make the actors live the experience. Belgian actors Jérémie Renier and Déborah François play two parents who are way too young and irresponsible to take care of their child.

vlcsnap-2012-01-31-09h22m57s192.png

Hard Candy is an independent film largely set in one room with two actors. Ellen Page is unrestrained as the teenager who confronts Patrick Wilson with her suspicions that he's an Internet pervert. The dialogues are an intense duel with accusations and denials.

244b8d1346a10001f39a55b528723eaf.jpg

#5 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,153 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted Today, 05:24 AM

Before we hit 2006 I would like to mention that I am going with that year for Away From Her.  Julie Christie was nominated for a Best Actress Oscar in 2007 for Away From Her which was originally released at the Toronto Film Festival in September 2006. 

#6 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Caretaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,461 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:49 AM

Here are the films from 2005 that were mentioned that I have not seen as yet. 

Adam’s Apples with Mads Mikkelsen, Nikolaj Lie Kaas and Paprika Steen

American Gun with Marcia Gay Harden

Because of Winn-Dixie with Eva Marie Saint

Brick with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Noah Fleiss, Lukas Haas and Nora Zehetener

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe with George Henley, Tilda Swinton and Skandar Keynes

Domino with Keira Knightley and Mickey Rourke

Down in the Valley with Edward Norton

Everything Is illuminated with Eugene Hutz

The Exorcism of Emily Rose with Jennifer Carpenter

Flightplan with Jodie Foster and Peter Sarsgaard

Hard Candy with Patrick Wilson and Ellen Page

Harsh Times with Christian Bale

Hostel with Rick Hoffman

The Interpreter with Catherine Keener

Kung Fu Hustle with Yuen Qui ae

Lady Vengeance with Choi Min-sik and Lee Young-ae

Last Days with Michael Pitt

Lords of Dogtown with Emile Hirsch and Heath Ledger

The Notorious Bettie Page with Gretchen Mol

Paradise Now with Kais Nashef

Romance and Cigarettes with James Gandolfini, Christopher Walken, Susan Sarandon and Kate Winslet

Serenity with Nathan Fillion, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Summer Glau

The Squid and the Whale with Laura Linney, Jeff Daniels, Owen Kline and Jesse Eisenberg

Star Wars Episode III: The Revenge of the Sith with Ian McDiarmid

Thank You For Smoking with Aaron Eckhart

Thumbsucker with Lou Taylor Pucci

The Upside of Anger with Kevin Costner and Joan Allen

V For Vendetta with Natalie Portman, Hugo Weaving and Stephen Fry

The Weather Man with Nicolas Cage, Michael Caine, Gemmenne de la Pena and Nicolas Hoult

Wedding Crashers with Isla Fisher

Wolf Creek with John Jarrett

Zathura: A Space Adventure with Josh Hutcherson

I've seen these. I'll talk about some of my nominees from among them.

Adam's Apples is a Danish comedy about calm and compassionate priest Ivan (Mads Mikkelsen) who runs a halfway house for paroled criminals. Ulrich Thomsen plays Adam, a newly arrived, unrepentant neo-Nazi gang leader. Ivan's positivity in the face of the open hostility of the residents is stretched to the breaking point. Mikkelsen and Thomsen are both excellent, playing roles that I would have expected the other to play.

Adams-Apples-2.jpg

Down in the Valley is a twisted romance set in southern California about a teenage girl (Evan Rachel Wood) who begins an affair with much older Harlan (Edward Norton), a cowboy, who, as the film progresses, you realize has a few screws loose. Norton is very believable in a role that requires the right balance or it becomes ridiculous.

down_in_the_valley20-20720-20edward_nort

The Exorcism of Emily Rose isn't terribly good, but Jennifer Carpenter was excellent in the title role. It's another supernatural "true story", this time covering the court case that resulted after an exorcism led to the death of the "possessed" girl, Emily Rose. The good cast includes Tom Wilkinson as the priest who's on trial, Laura Linney as an attorney, Campbell Scott, Shohreh Aghdashloo, Mary Beth Hurt, Colm Feore, and Kenneth Welsh. Carpenter gets to run the gamut of sweet teenage girl to demonic rage. 

MS_19575.jpg

Harsh Times is another movie with problems, but a good central performance. Christian Bale stars as a Special Forces veteran of the Iraq War with PTSD who is struggling to readjust to civilian life. He wants to be a cop, but his emotional issues will probably keep that from happening. He spends his days driving around LA with his old friend (Freddy Rodriguez, who is also good). Bale keeps making more and more dangerous decisions that will eventually get someone hurt. Bale is very good as someone wound too tight and incapable of articulating the help he needs.

f62dc5c331f1af04a1f9c68ddcc87e1f--harsh-

Hostel is an ultra-grisly horror thriller about young American tourists who get captured by an East European company that provides victims to rich clients who pay to torture and kill people. My nominee Rick Hoffman shows up in the last third as one of the paying clients, a motor-mouth worried that he won't be able to "follow through" when he gets in the room with his "victim". He's very funny, and a big tonal shift from the graphically horrific proceedings surrounding his scenes.

400px-Hostel_2.jpg

Lady Vengeance aka Sympathy for Lady Vengeance is South Korean director Park Chan-wook's final installment in his "Vengeance" trilogy. The story concerns the revenge a wrongfully convicted woman (my nominee Lee Young-ae) exacts on the man (Choi Min-sik) who actually committed the murder she was convicted of. Lee gets to show a broad range here, and she more than stands up against Choi, who often blows his fellow performers off the screen.

200512100004.jpg

The Notorious Bettie Page is the tongue-in-cheek biopic of the 50s pin-up girl. Gretchen Mol has the best role of her career as the good girl who somehow becomes a world famous nude and fetish model during the repressive 1950s. Mol was an actress that was promoted as being a "next big thing" in the 1990s, and it didn't happen. If she had been given better roles, like this one, back then, she just might have lived up to that hype.

9008756_orig.jpg

Serenity is a film version of writer-director Joss Whedon's (very) short-lived TV series Firefly. It's a space Western, with many of the tropes and character types of a western, but set in a spacefaring time of the future. This is science fiction, but there are no aliens, only very well-drawn characters and expertly crafted situations. I had never seen the show when I saw this movie, and I loved it, so don't let ignorance of the TV series put you off of the film. The entire cast is terrific, but I singled out three people for nominations: Nathan Fillion, who plays the captain of the ship Serenity, and heads a motley crew of misfits who work as mercenaries, smugglers and other minor illegal activities. Fillion is funny, handsome, and charismatic, a real star in the old-school sense, and this should have led to bigger things for him. My next nominee was Chiwetel Ejiofor, who plays the quietly intense killer sent by the ruling government to capture or kill the Serenity's crew. He's a complex villain, articulate and refined while also lethal, and Ejiofor lends him the elegance and menace required. My final nominee was Summer Glau, who plays the largely mute girl River Tam, who, along with her brother, have been living with the Serenity crew. No one is sure what's wrong with River (a big part of the film is discovering her origins), but when she "activates", all hell breaks loose. Glau manages wide-eyed fear and insecurity along with physical grace and intensity when it's called for. 

serenity_newmovieposter1.jpg

theoperative01.jpg

Wolf Creek is another horror thriller, and another that's based on a "true story". It also involves tourists, this time traveling through Australia's back country, who meet the seemingly friendly and outgoing Mick (John Jarratt). He's like a "Crocodile" Dundee/rural Ozzie caricature, crass, beer-swilling and always ready with a dirty joke and a laugh. The twist this time, though, is that he's also a murderous psychopath preying on anyone unfortunate to run across his trail. Jarratt makes for one of the better screen crazies in some time, over-the-top but in the right way. Again, the movie itself isn't much to crow about, but Jarratt is terrific.

WolfCreek2.jpg

• Bogie56 and CoraSmith like this

#7 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,153 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted Yesterday, 07:47 AM

I have not seen:

Color Me Kubrick

C.R.A.Z.Y.

The Death of Mr. Lazarescu

Ellie Parker

Factotum

Kinky Boots

The Producers

Separate Lies

Shooting Dogs

Tristram Shandy: A **** and Bull Story

Vers Le Sud

Wah-Wah

Water

The World's Fastest Indian

Lawrence, I've seen the above from your list.  i didn't really care for Deepa Mehta's Water, a Canadian-Indian co-production.

2_t.jpg

Colour Me Kubrick, A True---ish Story by Stanley's longtime assistant director Brian W. Cook and penned by his assistant Anthony Frewin is based on the true case of Alan Conway who impersonated Kubrick to elicit favours, gay sex and money from people.  The twist is that Conway, played by John Malkovich looks and sounds nothing like the real Stanley Kubrick.  In fact, Malkovich's accent keeps changing from scene to scene.  It's a brave performance that you may either love or hate.  Sort of like some of the broad performances by Nicolas Cage.  Conway may have been better suited impersonating John Waters!  

Pictured above with Malkovich is Jim Davidson who was one of my supporting actor choices.  He is a vain British variety show singer who plays holiday seaside spots.  Alan Conway latches on to him as he does others with promises of managing his career convincing him that he belongs in Las Vegas.  The amazing thing is that Davidson is such a performer in Britain and was an actual victim of the real Alan Conway.  That they would believe for a second that Conway was Kubrick, or even if he was that he would then be interested in them is one of the many fun things about this film.  It's really about everyday untalented people with big dreams.

Ellie-Parker-2005-naomi-watts-4826397-50

Naomie Watts made my top ten list of actresses with her portrayal of an aspiring Australian actress, Ellie Parker in Los Angeles.  It's a cheaply shot reality based film following Watts through auditions and a rather hectic life in the city of lights.  She is very funny.

kinky-boots.jpg?w=529&h=354

Chiwetel Ejifor plays Lola a drag queen in Kinky Boots.  He was one of my Best Actor runner-ups.  The film is a feel good cross between The Full Monty and Priscilla Queen of the Desert.  Joel Edgerton inherits a failing shoe factory and somehow connects with Ejiofor who inspires him to make specialty female footwear for men.  Ejifor camps it up just right.

1666365,MRum1fCz2O6_eLuS_9LWpLPsl+_dc+gy

Shooting Dogs is another look at the genocide in Rwanda.  John Hurt plays a Priest who does his very best to shelter victims of the tragedy.  Hurt was in my top ten list of best actors.

vers-le-sud-2005-heading-south-alt-charlCharlotte Rampling was on my list of Best Actresses for Vers Le Sud.  She plays a middle-aged woman who travels to the Caribbean once a year to have relations with younger black men.  But what is she offering in return and how involved is she emotionally with these men?  i think it's one of Rampling's best performances.

Bonneville-Salt-Flats.jpgAnthony Hopkins as Kiwi motorcycle enthusiast in The World's Fastest Indian was my number two choice of Best Actors.  This is really a road movie following the elderly Munro as he journeys from New Zealand to the Salt Flats in America to challenge for the world speed record for motorcycles.  His machine is purely homemade and Munro has a heart condition.  The thing I liked about Hopkins' performance is his good-natured determination.  Yes, he has ambitious dreams but he is well grounded and spends much time in the film with ordinary people he meets along the way.  He is both tortoise and hare.

• Jlewis, LawrenceA and CoraSmith like this

#8 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,153 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted Yesterday, 05:24 AM

Here are the films from 2005 that were mentioned that I have not seen as yet. 

Accused with Troels Lyby

Adam’s Apples with Mads Mikkelsen, Nikolaj Lie Kaas and Paprika Steen

Aegis with Hiroyuki Sanada

Always Sunset on Third Street with Hidetaka Yoshioka, Shin’ichi Tsutsumi and Hiroko Yakushimura

American Gun with Marcia Gay Harden

Asylum with Natasha Richardson

Because of Winn-Dixie with Eva Marie Saint

Bee Season with Flora Cross

The Bow with Jeon Seong-hwang and Han Yeo-reum

Brick with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Noah Fleiss, Lukas Haas and Nora Zehetener

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe with George Henley, Tilda Swinton and Skandar Keynes

Domino with Keira Knightley and Mickey Rourke

Don’t Tell with Giovanna Mezzogiorno and Angela Finocchiaro

Down in the Valley with Edward Norton

Down to the Bone with Vera Farmiga

Duane Hopwood with David Schwimmer

Everything Is illuminated with Eugene Hutz

The Exorcism of Emily Rose with Jennifer Carpenter

The Family Stone with Diane Keaton and Sarah Jessica Parker

Flightplan with Jodie Foster and Peter Sarsgaard

Fly Daddy Fly with Shin’ichi Tsutsumi

Forty Shades of Blue with Dina Korzun

Four Weeks In June with Ghita Norby

The Free Zone with Hana Laszlo

Get Rich or Die Tryin’ with Terrence Howard

Ghosts with Julia Hummer and Sabine Timoteo

Hanging Garden with Kyoko Koizumi

Happy Endings with Maggie Gyllenhaal

Hard Candy with Patrick Wilson and Ellen Page

A Hardest Night with Sumiko Fuji and Takeshi Sasano

Harsh Times with Christian Bale

Hibi with Yuko Tanaka

Hostel with Rick Hoffman

Ice Princess with Michelle Trachtenberg and Hayden Panettiere

The Interpreter with Catherine Keener

Kung Fu Hustle with Yuen Qui ae

Lady Vengeance with Choi Min-sik and Lee Young-ae

Lakawanna Blues with S. Epatha Merkerson

Last Days with Michael Pitt

The Last Miterrand with Michel Bouquet

L’audition with Denis Bernard

L’enfant with Jeremie Renier, Olivier Gourmet and Deborah Francois

Little Fish with Hugo Weaving, Cate Blanchett and Noni Hazlehurst

Look Both Ways with Anthony Hayes

Lords of Dogtown with Emile Hirsch and Heath Ledger

Man Push Cart with Ahmad Razyi

The Manual of Love with Carlo Verdone and Margherita Buy

Mario’s War with Valeria Golino

The Method with Pablo Echarri and Natalia Verbeke

Mother of Mine with Maria Lundqvist

Mouth to Mouth with Magnus Krepper

Neverwas with Brittany Murphy

Nine Lives with Robin Wright, Jason Isaacs, Lisa Gay Hamilton and Elipidia Carillo

The Notorious Bettie Page with Gretchen Mol

Our Very Own with Allison Janney

Paradise Now with Kais Nashef

Pierrepoint with Timothy Spall and Eddie Marsan

Portrait of the Wind with Tadanobu Asano

Princess Raccoon with Hiroko Yakushimaru

The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio with Julianne Moore

Regular Lovers with Louis Garrel and Clotilde Hesme

The Rocket with Roy Dupuis, Julie LeBreton and Stephen McHattie

Romance and Cigarettes with James Gandolfini, Christopher Walken, Susan Sarandon and Kate Winslet

Romance Criminal with Pierfrancesco Fayino, Kim Rosi Stuart and Claudio Santamaria

Room with Cyndi Williams

Rumor Has It with Shirley MacLaine

Russian Dolls with Cecile De France

Sacred Heart with Barbora Bobulova

The Second Wedding Night with Katia Ricciarelli

Serenity with Nathan Fillion, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Summer Glau

7 Virgins with Juan Jose Ballesto

Sex Hope and Love with Krister Henriksson

Sophie Scholl: The Final Days with Julia Jentsch

Sorry, Haters with Robin Wright

The Squid and the Whale with Laura Linney, Jeff Daniels, Owen Kline and Jesse Eisenberg

Star Wars Episode III: The Revenge of the Sith with Ian McDiarmid

Stolen Eyes with Vesela Kazakova

A Stranger of Mine with Kisuke Yamashita and Yuka Itaya

The Sun with Issey Ogata

Sweet Land with Elizabeth Reaser

Tabl-eBozorg Zir-e Pai-e Chap with Hamid Farahnejad

Thank You For Smoking with Aaron Eckhart

Three Times with Chang Chen and Shu go

Thumbsucker with Lou Taylor Pucci

The Upside of Anger with Kevin Costner and Joan Allen

V For Vendetta with Natalie Portman, Hugo Weaving and Stephen Fry

The War Within with Firdous Bamji

The Weather Man with Nicolas Cage, Michael Caine, Gemmenne de la Pena and Nicolas Hoult

Wedding Crashers with Isla Fisher

What the Snow Brings with Koichi Sato

Where the Truth Lies with Colin Firth

Wolf Creek with John Jarrett

Year One In the North with Sayuri Yoshinaga

The Young Lieutenant with Nathalie Baye

Zathura: A Space Adventure with Josh Hutcherson

And I would like to see this again …

The New World for Q’orianka Kilcher

#9 CoraSmith

CoraSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted Yesterday, 12:44 AM

Accused (Anklaget) is a Danish drama with Troels Lyby as a man who's accused by his 14-year old daughter of sexually abusing her. He plays this suspicious character without making obvious whether he's guilty or not. You can see the doubt creeping into his wife (Sofie Gråbøl), colleagues and friends, even if they claim to believe in his innocence.

anklaget1.jpg

Pierrepoint (aka The Last Hangman) is a British biopic about executioner Albert Pierrepoint. He terminated the life of hundreds of convicts in the 1930s and 1940s. Was he just good at his job? Did he struggle with his conscience or feel compassion? Timothy Spall had to change his accent from London to Yorkshire.

pierrepoint-01.jpg

#10 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Caretaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,461 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:47 PM

I have not seen:

Accused

Aegis

Always Sunset On Third Street

Asylum

Bailey's Billions

The Beat That My Heart Skipped

Bee Season

The Bow

Bubble

The Child

Color Me Kubrick

C.R.A.Z.Y.

The Death of Mr. Lazarescu

Don't Tell

Duane Hopwood

Ellie Parker

Factotum

The Family Stone

Fly Daddy Fly

Forty Shades of Blue

Four Weeks In June

Free Zone

Ghosts

Hanging Garden

Happy Endings

A Hardest Night

Herbie Fully Loaded

Hibi

Ice Princess

Kinky Boots

L'audition

Lackawanna Blues

The Last Miterrand

Little Fish

Look Both Ways

Man Push Cart

The Manual of Love

Mario's War

The Method

Mother of Mine

Mouth to Mouth

Nine Lives

Our Very Own

Pierrepoint

Portrait of the Wind

Princess Raccoon

The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio

The Producers

Rampo Noir

Regular Lovers

The Rocket

Romance Criminal

Room

Rumor Has It...

Russian Dolls

Sacred Heart

The Second Wedding Night

Separate Lies

7 Virgins

Sex Hope and Love

Shooting Dogs

Something Like Happiness

Sophie Scholl: The Final Days

Sorry, Haters

Stolen Eyes

A Stranger of Mine

The Sun

Sweet Land

Tabl-e Bozorg Zir-e Pai-e Chap

Three Times

Tristram Shandy: A **** and Bull Story

Vers Le Sud

Wah-Wah

The War Within

Water

What the Snow Brings

Where the Truth Lies

The World's Fastest Indian

Year One In the North

The Young Lieutenant

#11 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,153 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:03 PM

The Japanese Academy Awards for 2005 were …

Best Actor

Hidetaka Yoshioka, Always Sunset on Third Street*

Best Actress

Sayuri Yoshinaga, Year One In the North*

Best Supporting Actor

Shin’ichi Tsutsumi, Always Sunset on Third Street*

Best Supporting Actress

Hiroko Yakushimaru, Always Sunset on Third Street*

—————————————————————————————

Japan’s Blue Ribbon Awards for 2005 were …

Best Actor

Hiroyuki Sanada, Aegis*

Best Actress

Kyoko Koizumi, Hanging Garden*

Best Supporting Actor

Shin’ichi Tsutsumi, Fly Daddy Fly and Always Sunset on Third Street*

Best Supporting Actress

Hiroko Yakushimaru, Always Sunset on Third Street and Princess Raccoon*

Japan’s Mainichi Awards for 2005 were …

Best Actor

Tadanobu Asano, Portrait of the Wind and Rampo Noir*

Best Actress

Yuko Tanaka, Hibi*

Best Supporting Actor

Kisuke Yamashita, A Stranger of Mine*

Best Supporting Actress

Yuka Itaya, A Stranger of Mine*

#12 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,153 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:22 PM

The Canadian Genie Awards for 2005 were …

Best Actor

Michael Cote, CRAZY*

Best Actress

Seema Biswas, Water*

Best Supporting Actor

Denis Bernard, L’audition*

Best Supporting Actress

Danielle Prouxl, CRAZY* 

——————————————————————————————

The Australian Film Institute Awards for 2005 were …

Best Actor

Hugo Weaving, Little Fish* 

Best Actress

Cate Blanchett, Little Fish* 

Best Supporting Actor

Anthony Hayes, Look Both Ways*

Best Supporting Actresses

Noni Hazlehurst, Little Fish*

#13 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,153 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:31 AM

Italy’s 05/06 Nastro d’Argento Film Awards for 2005 were …

Best Actors

Pierfrancesco Favino, Kim Rosi Stuart and Claudio Santamaria, Romance Criminal*

Best Actress

Katja Ricciarelli, The Second Wedding Night*

Best Supporting Actor

Carlo Verdone, The Manual of Love*

Best Supporting Actress

Angela Finocchiaro, Don’t Tell*

Italy’s 04/05 David di Donatello Awards for 2005 included …

Best Actress

Barbora Bobulova, Sacred Heart*

Best Supporting Actor

Carlo Verdone, The Manual of Love*

Best Supporting Actresses

Margherita Buy, The Manual of Love* 

Italy’s 05/06 David di Donatello Awards for 2005 were …

Best Actor

Silvio Orlando, The Caiman* (06)

Best Actress

Valeria Golino, Mario’s War*

Best Supporting Actor

Pierfrancesco Favino, Romance Criminal*

Best Supporting Actress

Angela Finocchiaro, Don’t Tell*

#14 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,153 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:30 AM

Best Supporting Actress of 2005

2.  MIRANDA RICHARDSON (Lauren Compton), Wah-Wah

3.  EMILY WATSON (Ruby Compton), Wah-Wah

6.  JULIE WALTERS (Gwen Traherne), Wah-Wah

wah-wah-grant.jpg

Richard E. Grant's sole directorial effort so far was his autobiographical Wah-Wah which covers his boyhood in Swaziland.  This is a snapshot of colonial views of infidelity and divorce.  The boy, like Grant is non-judgmental.  This is a film where you like and enjoy all of the characters.

miranda-richardson-gabriel-byrne-wah-wah

Miranda Richardson plays Lauren Compton who walked out on her marriage to hubby Harry (Gabriel Byrne) with his best friend many years before.  In the film she returns to reinsert herself into the family despite Harry's remarriage.  Harry has since become an alcoholic.

gabriel-byrne-emily-watson-wah-wah-2005-Emily Watson plays Harry's new wife, a flashy American stewardess who is the outsider in this faux posh society.

wah-wah-2005-julie-walters-nicholas-houlAnd finally, Julie Walters plays the neighbour who is also the victim of a broken marriage.  This really is a movie where the performances are everything.

• LawrenceA likes this

#15 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,153 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:29 AM

France’s Cesar Awards for 2005 were …

Best Actor

Michel Bouquet, The Last Miterrand*

Best Actress

Nathalie Baye, The Young Lieutenant*

Best Supporting Actor

Niels Arestrup, The Beat That My Heart Skipped*

Best Supporting Actress

Cecile De France, Russian Dolls*

Sweden’s Guldbagge Awards for 2005 were…

Best Actor

Krister Henriksson, Sex Hope and Love*

Best Actress

Maria Lundqvist, Mother of Mine*

Best Supporting Actor

Magnus Krepper, Mouth to Mouth*

Best Supporting Actress

Ghita Norby, Four Weeks in June*

#16 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,153 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:49 PM

Here are some performances from 2005 that will be recognized in subsequent years …

Luminita Gheorghiu will win the Los Angeles Film Critics Best Supporting Actress Award in 2006 for The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (2005).

Danny Huston will be nominated for the Toronto Film Critics Best Supporting Actor Award in 2006 for The Proposition (2005).

Ahmad Razyi will be nominated for the Independent Spirit Best Actor Award in 2006 for Man Push Cart (2005).

Aaron Eckhart will be nominated for the Independent Spirit and Golden Globe Best Actor Award in 2006 for Thank You For Smoking (2005).

Robin Wright will be nominated for the Independent Spirit Best Actress Award in 2006 for Sorry, Haters (2005).

Elizabeth Reaser will be nominated for the Independent Spirit Best Actress Award in 2006 for Sweet Land (2005).

Marcia Gay Harden will be nominated for the Independent Spirit Best Supporting Actress Award in 2006 for American Gun (2005).

Chiwetel Ejiofor will be nominated for the Golden Globe Best Actor in a Comedy or Musical Award in 2006 for Kinky Boots (2005).

Barbora Bobulova won Italy’s David di Donatello Best Actress Award in 04/05 for Sacred Heart (2005).

Carlo Verdone won Italy’s David di Donatello Best Supporting Actor Award in 04/05 for The Manual of Love (2005).

Margherita Buy won Italy’s David di Donatello Best Supporting Actress Award in 04/05 for The Manual of Love (2005).

Roy Dupuis will win the Canadian Genie Best Actor Award in 2006 for The Rocket (2005).

Julie LeBreton will win the Canadian Genie Best Actress Award in 2006 for The Rocket (2005).

Stephen McHattie will win the Canadian Genie Best Supporting Actor Award in 2006 for The Rocket (2005).

Sumiko Fuji will win Japan’s Blue Ribbon Best Supporting Actress Award in 2006 for A Hardest Night (2005).

Koichi Sato will win Japan’s Mainichi Best Actor Award in 2006 for What the Snow Brings (2005).

Takeshi Sasano will win Japan’s Mainichi Best Supporting Actor Award in 2006 for A Hardest Night (2005).

#17 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,153 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:48 AM

The 2005 Venice Film Festival winners were:

Best Actor

David Strathairn, Good Night, and Good Luck*

Best Actress

Giovanna Mezzogiorno, Don’t Tell*

—————————————————————————————————

The 2005 San Sebastian Film Festival winners were…

Best Actor

Juan Jose Ballesta, 7 Virgins*

Best Actress

Anna Geisterova, Something Like Happiness*

The 2005 Moscow International Film Festival winners were …

Best Actor

Hamid Farahnejad, Tabl-e Bozorg Zir-e Pai-e Chap*

Best Actress

Vesela Kazakova, Stolen Eyes*

#18 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,153 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:17 AM

The 2005 Berlin International Film Festival winners were…

Best Actor

Lou Taylor Pucci, Thumbsucker*

Best Actress

Julia Jentsch, Sophie Scholl: The Final Days*

The 2005 Cannes Film Festival winners were…

Best Actor

Tommy Lee Jones, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada*

Best Actress

Hanna Laszlo, Free Zone*

#19 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,153 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:29 AM

The Golden Globe Awards for 2005 were …

Best Actor in a Drama

Philip Seymour Hoffman, Capote*

Heath Ledger, Brokeback Mountain

Russell Crowe, Cinderella Man

David Strathairn, Good Night, and Good Luck

Terrence Howard, Hustle & Flow

Best Actresses in a Drama

Felicity Huffman, Transamerica* 

Maria Bello, A History of Violence

Ziyi Zhang, Memoirs of a Geisha

Charlize Theron, North Country

Gwyneth Paltrow, Proof

Best Actor in a Comedy or Musical

Joaquin Phoenix, Walk the Line* 

Cillian Murphy, Breakfast on Pluto

Johnny Depp, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Pierce Brosnan, The Matador

Nathan Lane, The Producers

Jeff Daniels, The Squid and the Whale

Best Actresses in a Comedy or Musical

Reese Witherspoon, Walk the Line*

Sarah Jessica Parker, The Family Stone

Judi Dench, Mrs. Henderson Presents

Keira Knightley, Pride & Prejudice

Laura Linney, The Squid and the Whale

Best Supporting Actor

George Clooney, Syriana*

Paul Giamatti, Cinderella Man

Matt Dillon, Crash (04)

Bob Hoskins, Mrs. Henderson Presents

Will Ferrell, The Producers

Best Supporting Actress

Rachel Weisz, The Constant Gardener*

Michelle Williams, Brokeback Mountain

Shirley MacLaine, In Her Shoes

Scarlett Johansson, Match Point

France McDormand, North Country

#20 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,153 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:00 PM

The Screen Actors Guild Awards for 2005 were ….

Best Actor

Philip Seymour Hoffman, Capote*

Heath Ledger, Brokeback Mountain

Russell Crowe, Cinderella Man

David Strathairn, Good Night, and Good Luck

Joaquin Phoenix, Walk the Line

Best Actress

Reese Witherspoon, Walk the Line*

Ziyi Zhang, Memoirs of a Geisha

Judi Dench, Mrs. Henderson Presents

Charlize Theron, North Country

Felicity Huffman, Transamerica