We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Your Favourite Performances from 2005 are...

• Please log in to reply
4878 replies to this topic

#41 skimpole

skimpole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:46 PM

maxresdefault.jpg

Tropical Malady, notwithstanding an underwhelming premiere at Cannes, is one of the most admired of 21st century films, if you have happened to see it.   Directed by Apichatpong Weerasethakul, maker of 2002's Blissfully Yours, it sort of starts like a Thai Brokeback Mountain about a soldier who meets a country boy while on this official duties.  Unlike Weerasethakul's previous movie, which included explicit sex, Tropical Malady is much more tasteful and restrained.  But instead of Jake Gyllenhall being murdered, about halfway through the movie he sort of turns into a tiger, and the movie becomes distinctly stranger.

hqdefault.jpg

Innocence, which got a supporting actress nomination for Marion Cotillard, is one of the stranger movies of 2004.  It starts with an isolated girl's dormitory.  Where the students arrive in coffins, and play in strange, cloistered gardens.  It's based on a story by Frank Wedekind, from whose work Pandora's Box was based on.

maxresdefault.jpg

The Weeping Meadow is a Greek film by the important, but crucially underappreciated in America, director Theo Angelopoulous.  It was actually supposed to be the first part of a trilogy.  The second movie was made, but Angelopoulos was hit by a car and killed before he could complete the third movie.  The movie, like many of Angelopoulos' deals with Greek history.  It starts with refugees expelled from long standing Greek communities in Turkey after Greece's decisive defeat by Turkey in the war they fought shortly after the first world war.  The movie deals with a love story between a refugee girl and the boy in the family that takes her in.  As they engage in an unhappy romance, with suitors forced on the young woman, Greece goes through the Depression, the second world war, and the civil war that followed it.  One part of the film is that the part of Greece where the characters live often floods, so we get shots like the one above. 

trilogy-1-the-weeping-meadow.jpg

Here is the couple, with the woman being one of my runner-ups for best actress.  The movie focuses on her, since she is often separated from her lover/husband, and her sons get involved in the civil war.  The movie is filled with beautiful, comparatively spare tracking shots, and it ends with a homage to Sansho the Bailiff.  The movie, along with others Angelopoulos made, came out on DVD from New Yorker Video, which unfortunately went bankrupt.  However, it is currently available on youtube with English subtitles, and can be seen below: 

• Jlewis, Bogie56, LawrenceA and 1 other like this

#42 CoraSmith

CoraSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:05 AM

My Summer of Love is a British drama about an unusual friendship between two women, one from a poor and one from a rich family. Natalie Press (left) wants to escape from her family background and has a demonic side. She makes fun of the religious obsession of her brother (Paddy Considine). Emily Blunt (right) plays a spoiled brat and mythomaniac who uses her friend as a toy. Behind the initial summery mood frustrations are hidden. The Yorkshire moors provide a beautiful background.

BIGMy%2BSummer%2Bof%2BLove4.jpg.jpg

Mean Girls is one of the ultimate teen comedies. Screenwriter Tina Fey, who plays a teacher, took inspiration from Rosalind Wiseman's Queen Bees and Wannabes, a non-fiction book about cliques in high school. Lindsay Lohan plays the outsider trying to fit in. She had a talent for comedy, but some of the supporting actors had a more steady career afterwards: Lizzy Caplan as the art freak, Amanda Seyfried and Lacey Chabert as the wannabes and Rachel McAdams as the obnoxious queen bee. The world leaders should watch this movie to learn how to solve their conflicts.

advice-friendship-advice-2014-06-mean-gi

Brothers (Brødre) is a Danish drama by Susanne Bier. An officer returns from Afghanistan to find his wife carrying on with his younger brother. Ulrich Thomsen (right) plays the officer who struggles with a war trauma. Nikolaj Lie Kaas (left) is the good-for-nothing trying to improve. Connie Nielsen plays the wife who has to choose between these two opposites.

kFRw3JS.jpg

• Jlewis, Bogie56 and LawrenceA like this

#43 skimpole

skimpole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:19 PM

Kings and Queen got both my actor and supporting actress awards.  You can see the two winners, Mathieu Amalric and Catherine Deneuve here.  In this long, rich, emotional drama Amalric, who has appeared in several of director Arnaud Desplechin's movies, in particular in this character, has been committed to a mental hospital.  Denueve plays a psychiatrist there, while Emmanuelle Devos, engaged to another man, worried about her dying her father, thinks Amalric may be the best father for her son from another marriage.

movies_050510kings.jpg

Nobody Knows got my juvenile performance award for Yuya Yagira who plays the eldest son of a mother whose four children have separate fathers and who one day abandons them.  He tries to muddle through with his three siblings.  It doesn't work out.

hero_EB20050217REVIEWS50203006AR.jpg

(Right to left, Momoko Shimizu, Ayu Kitaura, Yuya Yagira, Hiei Kimura, all runner-ups this year.)

• Bogie56, LawrenceA and KilgoreTrout like this

#44 CinemaInternational

CinemaInternational

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:41 PM

Note: Rory O'Shea was Here was the US title for the film known in England as Inside I'm Dancing. They are one and the same film, as well as being my favorite film of 2004. It never received the audience it deserved, as it grossed less than $25,000 in the US.

#45 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,136 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:26 PM

These are the 2004 movies I have not seen:

Birth

Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

Clean

The Consequences of Love

Enduring Love

5x2

Kings and Queen

Looking for Alexander

Mean Creek

Moolaade

Saraband

36 Quai des Orfevres

Two Brothers

Yes

I haven't seen that many from your list, Lawrence and not many of those figured into my own performance lists.

clean2-194x129.jpg

Maggie Cheung made my top ten best actresses list for Clean.  Next to that honour was her win at the Cannes Film Festival. :lol: This was a very different part for Cheung.  She plays a heroin addict who is blamed in the overdose death of her husband.  Her in-laws take custody of her child when she is in prison.  Nick Nolte is her father-in-law!  She is eventually released under the provision that she get 'clean.'

36-dvd-filme-frances-com-gerard-depardie

Gerard Depardieu made my runner-up list in the French police thriller 36 Quai des Orfevres.  It is a fairly bizarre tale of two corrupt cops who are both up for the same promotion.  Daniel Auteuil is Depardieu's competition.  It is an opportunity to see Depardieu play a ruthless character and he does not disappoint.

Yes%20-%20Joan%20Allen%20Thinking%20Somt

And the last of those that I happened to mention is Joan Allen in Sally Potter's Yes.  It is a very odd film and a challenge for the actors in it I'm sure as they speak the entire film in iambic pentameter.  Allen plays 'She' a woman trapped in a loveless marriage who has an inter-racial affair.  I wasn't crazy about the film but Joan Allen impressed me as she so often does.

• LawrenceA and CoraSmith like this

#46 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,528 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:52 PM

I've seen many on your list, Bogie.

Anchorman is a silly, absurd comedy about TV news in the 1970s. The all-boys club of sexist machismo is upended when new reporter Christina Applegate is hired. Will Ferrell, as the alpha-male anchorman, gives his definitive portrayal of the clueless blowhard who thinks he's the smartest guy in the room, but obviously isn't. I also nominated Steve Carell as the weatherman, who seems to suffer some sort of mental deficiencies.

anchorman-02.jpg

"I love lamp"  -Brick

"I ate a whole bunch of fiberglass insulation.  It wasn't cotton candy like that guy said.  My stomach's itchy." -Brick

"It's called 'Sex Panther' by Odeon.  It's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good. They've done studies you know. 60% of the time, it works every time." -Brian Fantana

"Take me to pleasure town!" -Veronica

"I'm Ron Burgundy.  Go ' f '* yourself, San Diego." -Ron Burgundy, who will read anything put on the teleprompter.  Veronica, in an act of spite, wrote this on the teleprompter, knowing that Ron will read it without even realizing what he's said.

"I'm Ron Burgundy?" -Ron Burgundy, again who will read anything on the teleprompter.  Somebody in this case made a punctuation typo.

"I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany." -Ron Burgundy.

This movie is hilarious.  I can watch it over and over.  

My favorite part is during Ron Burgundy's jazz flute solo when he pops in under the bathroom stall door while a man is using the toilet.

*Censored by Speedracer

• LawrenceA likes this

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants." -Ted Baxter on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#47 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Caretaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,455 posts
  • LocationThe Overlook Hotel

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:39 AM

Here are the films from 2004 that were mentioned that I have not seen as yet. 

The Alamo with Billy Bob Thornton

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy with Will Ferrell, Christina Applegate and Steve Carell

Before Sunset with Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke

Dawn of the Dead with Sarah Polley

Dead Man’s Shoes with Paddy Considine

Dear Frankie with Jack McElhone

De-Lovely with Kevin Kline and Ashley Judd

The Door In the Floor with Jeff Bridges and Kim Basinger

Ella Enchanted with Anne Hathaway

Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle with John Cho and Kal Penn

Hellboy with Ron Perlman and John Hurt

Jersey Girl with Raquel Castro

Kung Fu Hustle with Stephen Chow and Danny Chow Kwok-Kwan

Ladies In Lavender with Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Daniel Bruhl and Miriam Margoyles

Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events with Jude Law, Meryl Streep, Liam Aiken and Emily Browning

Lila Says with Vahina Giocante

A Love Song For Bobby Long with Scarlett Johansson and Paz Vega

The Machinist with Christian Bale

Man on Fire with Denzel Washington, Dakota Fanning, Marc Anthony and Radha Mitchell

Mean Girls with Lindsay Lohan

Millions with Alec Etel

My Summer of Love with Emily Blunt, Natalie Press and Paddy Considine

Mysterious Skin with Joseph Gordon Levitt and Brady Corbett

Napoleon Dynamite with John Gries, Jon Heder and Aaron Ruell

The Notebook with Rachel McAdams, Gena Rowlands and James Garner

Ocean’s Twelve with Julia Roberts

The Phantom of the Opera with Emmy Rossum

Primer with Shane Carruth

Saved with Jena Malone

Spartan with Val Kilmer and William H. Macy

Suspect Zero with Ben Kingsley

Undertow with Josh Lucas and Devon Alan

The Village with Bryce Dallas Howard

I've seen many on your list, Bogie.

The Alamo was an attempt to take a more historically accurate look at the famous battle. Billy Bob Thornton plays Davy Crockett. In contrast to John Wayne's rather...well, John Wayne version of the outdoorsman and politician, Thornton plays him as a raconteur and good old boy who tries to keep morale up as much as he tried to fight the Mexican army. It's a more nuanced look at an American legend that avoids being disrespectful.

2003_the_alamo_001.jpg

Anchorman is a silly, absurd comedy about TV news in the 1970s. The all-boys club of sexist machismo is upended when new reporter Christina Applegate is hired. Will Ferrell, as the alpha-male anchorman, gives his definitive portrayal of the clueless blowhard who thinks he's the smartest guy in the room, but obviously isn't. I also nominated Steve Carell as the weatherman, who seems to suffer some sort of mental deficiencies.

anchorman-02.jpg

Dawn of the Dead is a standalone remake of George Romero's 1978 sequel to Night of the Living Dead. This is the one where a group of zombie apocalypse survivors take refuge in a shopping mall. That central premise is really the only thing carried over from the earlier film, as this time there are more characters, different situations, and even the zombies have changed (they run!). Sarah Polley  is the quiet center to the film, and her wide-eyed intensity helps ground the proceedings.

hqdefault.jpg

Dead Man's Shoes is a British thriller about a former soldier played by Paddy Considine who returns to his hometown to avenge an injustice visited upon his mentally-challenged younger brother. Considine is often terrifying as a guy who may just be worse than the villains he's stalking. Many people don't like this movie, and it's not an easy watch, but Considine is tremendous.

dead-mans-shoes-11.png

Dear Frankie is another British movie. Single mother Emily Mortimer keeps lying to her deaf young son Jack McElhone about where his father is. She hires Gerard Butler to pretend to be the boy's dad home on shore leave, and the expected romantic developments commence. It's better than it sounds.

p01h5g8j.jpg

The Machinist is a very dark drama about a worker in the title profession played by Christian Bale. He's wracked with mental anguish about something (which is slowly revealed during the movie), and he hardly eats or sleeps, resulting in a horrifyingly emaciated form. This was the first of Bale's extreme body transformations, and it's really disturbing, but he also lends the role the emotional nuance that raises it above being just an endurance stunt.

Christian-bale.jpg

Millions  is a family comedy from director Danny Boyle about a kid (Alex Etel) that finds a bag of British pounds in the waning days before the switchover to the Euro. First he only tells his brother, but eventually his hard-pressed dad (James Nesbitt) learns of it. I don't normally like feel-good stuff, but this is an exception.

Millions.jpg

Napoleon Dynamite was a surprise big-hit comedy about the title dorky high school nerd (Jon Heder) and the strange people around him. I nominated Heder, as he really sells the oddball Napoleon, but I also nominated Aaron Ruell as his equally dorky brother Kip.

13.jpg

Spartan is from David Mamet, a thriller featuring that old stand-by plot of "the President's daughter has been kidnapped!" Val Kilmer stars as the former US Marine brought in to find her. Kilmer delivers Mamet's unique dialogue quirks with conviction, and there's one stand-out original scene where he's discovered while searching a house, and his response is something I've never seen before.

2004_spartan_002.jpg

Finally, The Village was the fourth in writer-director M. Night Shyamalan's "big twist" movies, and the weakest one yet. The title location is a seemingly primitive, pilgrim/pioneer enclave of families. Built in a large clearing, the village elders warn not to enter the surrounding woods, as there are "things" in there that will kill them. Bryce Dallas Howard is the headstrong blind daughter of of the chief elder. When the things in the woods start killing people, breaking their truce, she takes it upon herself to try and solve the problem. The movie is slow and doesn't make sense, and the big twist is fairly easy to suss out. But Howard is very good in this, and I still think it's her best performance.

the-village-640x426.jpg

• Bogie56 and CoraSmith like this

#48 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,136 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:30 AM

Here are the films from 2004 that were mentioned that I have not seen as yet. 

The Alamo with Billy Bob Thornton

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy with Will Ferrell, Christina Applegate and Steve Carell

As It Is In Heaven with Michael Nyqvist and Frida Hallgren

Before Sunset with Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke

Bittersweet Memories with Pascale Bussieres

Blood and Bones with Takeshi Kitano, Kyoka Suzuki, Tomoko Tabata and Joe Odagiri

Brother to Brother with Roger Robinson

Brothers with Ulrich Thomsen, Connie Nielsen and Brent Meiding

Cavedweller with Kyra Sedgwick and Aidan Quinn

Childstar with Jennifer Jason Leigh

Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen with Lindsay Lohan

Conversations With Mother with China Zorrilla

Crying Out Love in the Center of the World with Masami Nagasawa

Dalecarlians with Kajsa Ernst

Dawn of the Dead with Sarah Polley

Dead Man’s Shoes with Paddy Considine

Dear Frankie with Jack McElhone

De-Lovely with Kevin Kline and Ashley Judd

The Door In the Floor with Jeff Bridges and Kim Basinger

Down to the Bone with Vera Farmiga

Ella Enchanted with Anne Hathaway

The Face of Jiro with Rie Miyazawa

Four Shades of Brown with Robert Guftafsson, Maria Kulle and Ulf Brunnberg

A Good Woman with Tom Wilkinson

Half a Confession with Akira Terao

Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle with John Cho and Kal Penn

Head on with Birol Unel and Sebel Kikeji

Hellboy with Ron Perlman and John Hurt

In Good Company with Dennis Quaid and Topher Grace

In My Father’s Den with Matthew Macfayden

The Intruder with Michael Subor

Jersey Girl with Raquel Castro

Kamikaze Girls with Kyoko Fukada

Keane with Damian Lewis, Abigail Breslin and Amy Ryan

The Keys to the House with Kim Rosi Stuart

Kung Fu Hustle with Stephen Chow and Danny Chow Kwok-Kwan

La Vida Que te Espera with Luis Tobar

Ladies In Lavender with Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Daniel Bruhl and Miriam Margoyles

Land of Plenty with Michelle Williams

The Last Tunnel with Jean Lapointe

Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events with Jude Law, Meryl Streep, Liam Aiken and Emily Browning

Lila Says with Vahina Giocante

Lost Embrace with Daniel Hendler

Love Is Eternal While It Lasts with Laura Morante

Love Returns with Giovanna Mezzogiorno

A Love Song For Bobby Long with Scarlett Johansson and Paz Vega

Machuca with Matias Quer, Ernesto Maibran and Manuela Martelli

The Machinist with Christian Bale

Man on Fire with Denzel Washington, Dakota Fanning, Marc Anthony and Radha Mitchell

Mean Girls with Lindsay Lohan

Millions with Alec Etel

My Summer of Love with Emily Blunt, Natalie Press and Paddy Considine

Mysterious Skin with Joseph Gordon Levitt and Brady Corbett

Napoleon Dynamite with John Gries, Jon Heder and Aaron Ruell

Nobody Knows with Yuya Yagira, Ayu Kitaura, Hiei Kimura and Momoka Shumuza

The Notebook with Rachel McAdams, Gena Rowlands and James Garner

Ocean’s Twelve with Julia Roberts

On the Outs with Judy Marte

Our Own with Bogden Stupka

Out of This World with Joe Odagiri

The Phantom of the Opera with Emmy Rossum

Primer with Shane Carruth

Redemption: The Stan Tookie Williams Story with Jamie Foxx

Robbing Peter with Robin Simmons

Rory O’Shea Was Here/Inside I’m Dancing with James McAvoy and Steven Robertson

Samaritan Girl with Kwak Ji-Min and Han Yeo-reum

Saved with Jena Malone

Shall We Dance with Stanley Tucci and Anita Gillette

Somersault with Sam Worthington, Abbie Cornish, Erik Thompson and Lynette Curran

Spartan with Val Kilmer and William H. Macy

Speak with Kristen Stewart

The Story of My Life with Clovis Cornillac

Suspect Zero with Ben Kingsley

The Taste of Tea with Joe Odagiri

13 Going on 30 with Jennifer Garner, Mark Ruffalo and Judy Greer

Tropical Malady with Banlop Lamnoi and Sadka Kaewbuadee

Turtles Can Fly with Avaz Latif

Undertow with Josh Lucas and Devon Alan

The Village with Bryce Dallas Howard

We Don’t Live Here Anymore with Laura Dern

The Weeping Meadow with Alexandre Aidini

When the Sea Rises with Yolande Moreau

Woman Thou Art Loosed with Kimberly Elise and Loretta Devine

The World with Zhao Tao

And I would like to see this again …

A Very Long Engagement for Marion Cotillard

#49 CoraSmith

CoraSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:22 AM

Machuca is a film about the tragedy of September 11. Yes, the day when Pinochet and his followers seized power and Salvador Allende officially committed suicide. The events in Chile in 1973 are shown through the eyes of three children (Matías Quer in the leading role, Manuela Martelli and Ariel Mateluna in the title role). One is from a rich white family, the other two are poor. Their friendship became possible under one regime and will be tested under another. The children act very naturally, it's as if you were there. 

MV5BMjY3NDRjZDktMDJiYi00OWU0LWFiZTktODcz

In Birth Nicole Kidman plays a widow who's approached by a 10-year old boy who claims to be her deceased husband. The boy is annoying and intrusive, which is perfect for this role. With short hair Nicole Kidman looks less glamorous than usual. She expresses feelings of disbelieve and confusion. Lauren Bacall, who would turn 80 that year, plays Kidman's mother.

birth.jpg

As It Is in Heaven (Så som i himmelen) is a Swedish film with the recently deceased Michael Nyqvist. He plays a successful conductor with a heart disease. He returns to his birth village, where he will lead the local choir. Nyqvist gives a charismatic performance in a film that celebrates the joy of making music together and being alive.

as-it-is-in-heaven-sa-som-i-himmelen-7.j

• Bogie56 and LawrenceA like this

#50 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Caretaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,455 posts
  • LocationThe Overlook Hotel

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:26 PM

These are the 2004 movies I have not seen:

Ae Fond Kiss...

As It Is in Heaven

Birth

Bittersweet Memories

Blood and Bones

Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

Brother to Brother

Cavedweller

Childstar

Clean

Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen

The Consequences of Love

Conversations with Mother

Crying Out Love in the Center of the World

Dalecarlians

Don't Move

Down to the Bone

Enduring Love

The Face of Jizo

5x2

Four Shades of Brown

A Good Woman

Half a Confession

Head-On

In Good Company

In My Father's Den

Innocence

Inside I'm Dancing

The Intruder

Kamikaze Girls

Keane

The Keys of the House

Kings and Queen

La vida que te espera

Land of Plenty

The Last Tunnel

Looking for Alexander

Lost Embrace

Love is Eternal While It Lasts

Love Returns

Machuca

Mean Creek

Moolaade

Nobody Knows

On the Outs

Our Own

Out of This World

The Princess Diaries 2

Raising Helen

Redemption: The Stan "Tookie" Williams Story

Robbing Peter

Rory O'Shea Was Here

Samaritan Girl

Saraband

Shall We Dance

Somersault

Speak

The Story of My Life

The Taste of Tea

13 Going on 30

36 Quai des Orfevres

Tropical Malady

Turtles Can Fly

Two Brothers

We Don't Live Here Anymore

The Weeping Meadow

When the Sea Rises

When Will I Be Loved

Woman Thou Art Loosed

The World

Yes

#51 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,136 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:55 PM

The Japanese Academy Awards for 2004 were …

Best Actor

Akira Terao, Half a Confession*

Best Actress

Kyoka Suzuki, Blood and Bones*

Best Supporting Actor

Joe Odagiri, Blood and Bones*

Best Supporting Actress

Masami Nagasawa, Crying Out Love in the Center of the World*

—————————————————————————————

Japan’s Blue Ribbon Awards for 2004 were …

Best Actor

Akira Terao, Half a Confession*

Best Actress

Rie Miyazawa, The Face of Jizo*

Best Supporting Actor

Joe Odagiri, Blood and Bones, Out of This World and The Taste of Tea*

Best Supporting Actress

Masami Nagasawa, Crying Out Love in the Center of the World*

Japan’s Mainichi Awards for 2004 were …

Best Actor

Takeshi Kitano, Blood and Bones*

Best Actress

Kyoko Fukada, Kamikaze Girls*

Best Supporting Actor

Joe Odagiri, Blood and Bones and Out of This World*

Best Supporting Actress

Tomoko Tabata, Blood and Bones and The Hidden Blade*

• Jlewis likes this

#52 skimpole

skimpole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:30 PM

And then there's the most parodied scene in movie history, from Downfall:

Hans Krebs: The enemy made a breakthrough. They took Zossen and are advancing towards Stahnsdorf. They're at the northern city border, between Frohnau and Pankow. In the east, they reached Lichtenberg, Mahlsdorf and Karlshorst.

Adolf Hitler: If Steiner attacks, everything will be alright.

Hans Krebs: Mein Führer... Steiner...

Alfred Jodl: Steiner didn't have enough men. The attack didn't take place. [Hitler pauses to take off his glasses]

Adolf Hitler: The following stay here: Keitel, Jodl, Krebs and Burgdorf. (The four named generals, along with Goebbels and Bormann, remain in the room as the others leave. The door closes behind them) That was an order! Steiner's attack was an order! How dare you ignore my orders?! (Hitler's ranting is clearly audible outside the room) Is this what it came to? The military, everybody lied to me. Even the SS! The generals are no more than a bunch of disloyal cowards!

Burgdorf: Mein Führer, I can't permit you to insult the German soldiers-

Adolf Hitler: They are all cowards, traitors and failures!

Burgdorf: Mein Führer, This is outrageous!

Adolf Hitler: The generals are the scum of the German people! (flings a pencil onto the table) NO SENSE OF HONOUR! You call yourself general because you spent years at the academy, where you only learned how to use a knife and fork! For years, the military obstructed me. All you ever did is thwart me. What I should have done, is had all the high officers executed, like Stalin did! (pauses) I never went to the academy. But I conquered all of Europe on my own. Traitors! I've been betrayed and deceived from the start. Such enormous betrayal of the German people. But all these traitors will pay. They will pay with their own blood! They will drown in their blood!

Traudl Junge: (To Gerda, outside the room) Gerda, please calm yourself.

Adolf Hitler: All my orders have been ignored. How can I be a leader under these circumstances? It's over. The war is lost. But if you think this means I'll leave Berlin... you're wrong. I'd rather shoot a bullet through my head. [sighs] Do whatever you want.

• Jlewis and Bogie56 like this

#53 skimpole

skimpole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:28 PM

Quotes from 2004

Our cabin attendants are superbly designed... But there's only one problem : when they've served on so many long journeys, fatigue begins to set it. For example, they might want to laugh, but the smile would be slow to come. They might want to cry, but the tear wouldn't well up till the next day...

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Drink up, young man. It'll make the whole seduction part less repugnant.

Tropical Malady

I give you my spirit, my flesh and my memories. Every drop of my blood sings our song. A song of happiness. There… Do you hear it?

Layer Cake

You're born, you take ****. You get out in the world, you take more ****. You climb a little higher, you take less ****. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what **** even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake, son.

The Incredibles

Edna: I started with the baby.

Helen: Started?

Edna: Shh! Darling! Shh! I cut it a little roomy for the free movement. The fabric is comfortable for sensitive skin [flamethrowers throw fire at the suit without leaving burn marks], and it can also withstand a temperature of over 1,000 degrees! Completely bulletproof. [machine guns train on the suit and empty rounds into it without causing any damage] And machine-washable, darling. That's a new feature.

Helen: What on earth do you think the baby will be doing?!

Edna: Well, I'm sure I don't know, darling. Luck favors the prepared. I didn't know the baby's powers, so I covered the basics.

Helen: Jack-Jack doesn't have any powers.

Edna: No? He'll look fabulous anyway.  

• Jlewis likes this

#54 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,136 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:00 PM

The Canadian Genie Awards for 2004 were …

Best Actor

Roy Dupuis, Looking For Alexander*

Best Actress

Pascale Bussieres, Bittersweet Memories*

Best Supporting Actor

Jean Lapointe, The Last Tunnel*

Best Supporting Actress

Jennifer Jason Leigh, Childstar* 

——————————————————————————————

The Australian Film Institute Awards for 2004 were …

Best Actor

Sam Worthington, Somersault* 

Best Actress

Abbie Cornish, Somersault* 

Best Supporting Actor

Erik Thompson, Somersault*

Best Supporting Actresses

Lynette Curran, Somersault*

#55 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,136 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:46 AM

Italy’s 04/05 Nastro d’Argento Film Awards for 2004 were …

Best Actor

Toni Servillo, The Consequences of Love*

Best Actress

Laura Morante, Love Is Eternal While It Lasts*

Best Supporting Actor

Raffaele Pisu, The Consequences of Love*

Best Supporting Actress

Giovanna Mezzogiorno, Love Returns*

Italy’s 03/04 David di Donatello Awards for 2004 included …

Best Actor

Sergio Castellitto, Don’t Move* 

Best Actress

Penelope Cruz, Don’t Move* 

Italy’s 04/05 David di Donatello Awards for 2004 were …

Best Actor

Toni Servillo, The Consequences of Love*

Best Actress

Barbora Bobulova, Sacred Heart* (05)

Best Supporting Actor

Carlo Verdone, The Manual of Love* (05)

Best Supporting Actress

Margherita Buy, The Manual of Love* (05)

#56 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,136 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:23 AM

France’s Cesar Awards for 2004 were …

Best Actor

Mathieu Amalric, Kings and Queen*

Best Actress

Yolande Moreau, When the Sea Rises*

Best Supporting Actor

Clovis Cornillac, The Story of My Life*

Best Supporting Actress

Marion Cotillard, A Very Long Engagement*

Sweden’s Guldbagge Awards for 2004 were…

Best Actor

Robert Gustafsson, Four Shades of Brown*

Best Actress

Maria Kulle, Four Shades of Brown*

Best Supporting Actor

Ulf Brunnberg, Four Shades of Brown*

Best Supporting Actress

Kajsa Ernst, Dalecarlians*

#57 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,136 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:17 PM

Here are some performances from 2004 that will be recognized in subsequent years …

Matt Dillon will be nominated for the Best Supporting Actor Oscar and the Broadcast Film Critics, Washington DC Film Critics, Screen Actors Guild, Golden Globe and BAFTA Best Supporting Actor Award in 2005 for Crash (2004).  And he will win the Independent Spirit Best Supporting Actor Award for Crash.

Emmanuelle Devos will be nominated for the New York Film Critics Best Actress Award in 2005 for Kings and Queen (2004).

Ziyi Zhang will be nominated for the New York Film Critics Best Actress Award and the National Society of Film Critics and Independent Spirit Best Supporting Actress Award in 2005 for 2046 (2004).

Terrence Howard will be nominated for the Broadcast Film Critics and Washington DC Film Critics Best Supporting Actor Awards in 2005 for Crash (2004).

Alex Etel will be nominated for the Broadcast Film Critics Best Juvenile Actor Award in 2005 for Millions (2004).

Don Cheadle will be nominated for the BAFTA and Screen Actors Guild Best Supporting Actor Award in 2005 for Crash (2004).

Thandie Newton will win the BAFTA Best Supporting Actress Award in 2005 for Crash (2004).

Michelle Williams will be nominated for the Independent Spirit Best Actress Award in 2006 for Land of Plenty (2004).

Matthew Macfayden will be nominated for the British Independent Films’ Best Actor Award in 2005 for In My Father’s Den (2004).

Johnny Depp will be nominated for the British Independent Films’ Best Actor Award in 2005 for The Libertine (2004).

Joan Allen will be nominated for the British Independent Films’ Best Actress Award in 2005 for Yes (2004).

Rosamund Pike will win the British Independent Films’ Best Supporting Actor/Actress Award in 2005 for The Libertine (2004).

Tom Hollander will be nominated for the British Independent Films’ Best Supporting Actor/Actress Award in 2005 for The Libertine (2004).

Sergio Castellitto won Italy’s David di Donatello Best Actor Award in 03/04 for Don’t Move (2004).

Penelope Cruz won Italy’s David di Donatello Best Actress Award in 03/04 for Don’t Move (2004).

• Jlewis likes this

#58 KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:24 PM

BEST ACTOR

1.) Sean Penn - The Assassination of Richard Nixon
2.) Don Cheadle - Hotel Rwanda
3.) Leonardo DiCaprio - The Aviator
4.) Val Kilmer - Spartan
5.) Clint Eastwood - Million Dollar Baby
6.) Bruno Ganz - Downfall
7.) Kevin Bacon - The Woodsman
8.) Ethan Hawke - Before Sunset
9.) Joseph Gordon-Levitt - Mysterious Skin
10.) Javier Bardem - The Sea Inside

HM: Jamie Foxx - Ray & Collateral, Jim Carrey - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Yuya Yagira - Nobody Knows, Bill Murray - The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, Tom Cruise - Collateral, Jeff Bridges - The Door in the Floor, Gael Garcia Bernal - The Motorcycle Diaries, Tom Hanks - The Ladykillers , Christian Bale - The Machinist, Tony Leung - 2046, Birol Unel -Head-On, Liam Neeson - Kinsey, Rodrigo de la Serna -The Motorcycle Diaries, Banlap Lomnoi -Tropical Malady, Dennis Quaid - In Good Company, Jude Law - Closer, Brady Corbett -Mysterious Skin, Shane Carruth -Primer, Daniel Craig -Layer Cake

BEST ACTRESS

1.) Hilary Swank - Million Dollar Baby 
2.) Imelda Staunton - Vera Drake
3.) Sibel Kikeli - Head-On
4.) Nicole Kidman - Birth
5.) Avaz Latif - Turtles Can Fly
6.) Julie Delpy - Before Sunset
7.) Uma Thurman - Kill Bill: Volume II
8.) Joan Allen - Yes
9.) Catalina Sandina Moreno - Maria Full of Grace
10.) Kate Winslet - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

HM: Valeria Bruni Tedeschi - 5x2, Fatoumata Coulibaly - Moolade, Audrey Tatou - A Very Long Engagement, Scarlett Johansson -A Love Song for Bobby Long, Neve Campbell - When Will I Be Loved, Paz Vega - Spanglish, Ayu Kitaura -Nobody Knows, Bryce Dallas Howard -The Village, Holly Hunter -The Incredibles, Lindsay Lohan - Mean Girls, Jena Malone - Saved

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

1.) Clive Owen - Closer
2.) Michael Pena -Crash
3.) Michael Madsen - Kill Bill: Volume II
4.) Morgan Freeman - Million Dollar Baby
5.) Mark Wahlberg - I <3 Huckabees
6.) David Carradine - Kill Bill: Volume II
7.) Owen Wilson -The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
8.) Terence Howard -Crash
9.) Phil Davis - Vera Drake
10.) Timothy Olyphant - The Girl Next Door

HM: Cameron Bright - Birth, Gaspard Ulliel -A Very Long Engagement, Tom Wilkinson -Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Willem Dafoe -The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, Jeff Goldblum -The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, Peter Sarsgaard - Garden State, Danny Huston - Birth, Topher Grace - In Good Company, Alec Baldwin - The Aviator, John C. Reilly - The Aviator, Ryan Phillipe -Crash, Mark Ruffalo -Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Eric Bana -Troy, Josh Lucas -Undertow

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

1.) Natalie Portman - Closer
2.) Cate Blanchett - The Aviator 
3.) Zhang Ziyi - 2046
4.) Virginia Madsen - Sideways
5.) Maia Morgenstern - The Passion of the Christ
6.) Sophie Okonedo - Hotel Rwanda
7.) Darryl Hannah - Kill Bill: Volume II
8.) Laura Linney - Kinsey
9.) Laura Dern - We Don't Live Here Anymore
10.) Gong Li -2046

HM: Corrina Harfouch -Downfall, Irma P. Hall - The Ladykillers, Meryl Streep - The Manchuria Candidate, Lily Tomlin -I <3 Huckabees, Ruth Sheen -Vera Drake, Sandra Oh -Sideways, Heather Craney -Vera Drake, Kirsten Dunst -Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Jada Pinkett Smith -Collateral, Gwyneth Paltrow - Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

BEST JUVENILE

1.) Avaz Latif -Turtles Can Fly
2.) Yuya Yagira -Nobody Knows
3.) Cameron Bright -Birth
4.) Josh Peck - Mean Creek
5.) Raquel Castro - Jersey Girl
6.) Devon Alan -Undertow
7.) Rory Culkin -Mean Creek
8.) Hannah Pilkes -The Woodsman
9.) Sarah Steele -Spanglish
10.) Carly Schroeder -Mean Creek

• skimpole, Jlewis, Bogie56 and 1 other like this

#59 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,136 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:44 PM

The 2004 Venice Film Festival winners were:

Best Actors

Javier Bardem, The Sea Inside*

Kim Rosi Stuart, The Keys of the House*

Best Actresses

Imelda Staunton, Vera Drake*

Valeria Bruni Tedeschi, 5x2*

—————————————————————————————————

The 2004 San Sebastian Film Festival winners were…

Best Actor

Ulrich Thomsen, Brothers*

Best Actress

Connie Nielsen, Brothers*

The 2004 Moscow International Film Festival winners were …

Best Actor

Bogdan Stupka, Our Own*

Best Actress

China Zorrilla, Conversations With Mother*

#60 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,136 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:23 AM

The 2004 Berlin International Film Festival winners were…

Best Actor

Daniel Hendler, Lost Embrace*

Best Actresses

Catalina Sandino Moreno, Maria Full of Grace*

Charlize Theron, Monster* (03)

The 2004 Cannes Film Festival winners were…

Best Actor

Yuga Yagira, Nobody Knows*

Best Actress

Maggie Cheung, Clean*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users