We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Your Favourite Performances from 2014 are...

• Please log in to reply
5309 replies to this topic

#41 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,011 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 15 September 2017 - 06:27 AM

I have not seen:

The Book Thief

Despicable Me 2

The Double

Enemy

Frozen

Gloria

Human Capital

Metro Manila

Night Moves

The Railway Man

The Selfish Giant

Tracks

Venus in Furs

I've seen the above.

tracks.jpg

Mia Wasilkowska made my top ten list of actresses with Tracks which is about a young woman who decides to trek across the Australian desert with camels and her dog.  It is very much like Reese Witherspoon's Wild in that the fierce conditions of the trek and solitude lead to the person's heightened introspection.

paugarcia2.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSIO

Gloria is a Chilean film for which its star Paulina Golina garnered the Best Actress Award at the Berlin Film Festival and also made my top ten.  She plays a single lady nearing sixty who likes to go to discos to search for men.  Thankfully it isn't quite Looking For Mr. Goodbar but Golina does the roller coaster of emotional highs and lows.  And yes, she does look like Tootsie with those glasses.

9177734_orig.jpg

Human Capital was a critical success in Italy. Valeria Bruni Tedeschi who shows up a lot in the Italian Awards plays the mother of a boy who has been involved in a hit and run accident resulting in a person's death.  Her instincts are to protect her own which makes her susceptible to blackmail.  It is reminiscent of an episode in Wild Tales (2014).  Tedeschi was one of my runner ups.

venus-in-fur-still3-526x284.jpg

Emmanuelle Seigner and Mathieu Amalric were both on my runner ups lists for Roman Polanski's Venus In Furs.  It makes no apologies for showing its stage roots.  Seigner and Amalric are the only two in the film which takes place entirely in an empty theatre.  Seigner shows up for an audition for director, Amalric (standing in for Polanski??) and continues to turn the tables on him as to who is in charge.  "Kinky, but nice" as Laurence Harvey said in Expresso Bongo.

0930manila-600x381.jpg

Metro Manila is a Philippine film made by a British director.  It concerns an impoverished couple who move to the big city and are quickly taken advantage of by hucksters.  What starts out like a Satyajit Ray social drama eventually becomes a thriller.  The husband is befriended by John Arcilla (my choice for best supporting actor of the year) who works for an armoured car company.  Unfortunately for our couple beneath the surface of their benefactor lies a very troubling and duplicitous person.  The film was number 6 in my top ten of 2013.

• LawrenceA and CoraSmith like this

#42 skimpole

skimpole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:31 AM

Here are the films from 2013 that were mentioned that I have not seen as yet.  Another phone book!

The Grandmaster with Tony Leung, Chang Chen and Zhang Ziyi

Hard to be a God with Leonid Yarminik

Nymphomaniac with Charlottee Gainsbourg, Stellan Skarsgard, Christian Slater, Uma Thurman and Stacy Martin

A Touch of Sin with Wu Kiang, Luo Lansham and Li Meng

The Grandmaster is the most recent movie of Wong-Kar Wei.  It stars Tony Leung as Ip Man, the martial arts master best known for training Bruce Lee.  This really isn't about that relationship.  Both Leung and Zhang Ziyi got acting nominations from me.  To quote Andrew O'Hehir from Salon:  "But for Wong, the film’s action sequences really aren’t the point, or not in the same way as in ordinary martial-arts movies. They’re plot devices or punctuation marks, or tools for extending the essentially poetic and aesthetic manner of 'The Grandmaster' into physical space. Martial-arts cinema has always had a lot in common with ballet, and this film almost erases the distinction by deliberately smashing the genre’s veneer of masculinity. Of the three most important fights in 'The Grandmaster,' only one ends in conventional fashion, with a dastardly villain lying battered and broken on the ground. In two of the three, the victor is a woman – the unflappable Gong Er (Zhang), heir to an esoteric North China martial-arts tradition. One is an intensely romantic pas de deux, which ends with Gong Er and Ip Man (Leung) barely avoiding a passionate kiss...But there’s no meaningful sense in which 'The Grandmaster; could be called realistic. It takes place in a Wong-specific dream-China, the China of thousands of movies shot on Hong Kong soundstages, rendered even more abstract. Ip’s South China home city of Foshan is divided between rainy streetscapes and the ornate and decadent interiors of a brothel (whose fixtures and furniture keep being destroyed in kung-fu throwdowns), while Gong Er’s homeland in the north is a permanently snow-covered steppe, just waiting for Genghis Khan and the Mongols to come riding through."

the-grandmaster.jpg?w=680

Hard to be a God may be, in critic Glenn Kenny's words, "one of the most consistently disgusting movies ever made."  It is also one of the greatest movies of 2013.  One of the few films Russian director Alexei German (also spelled Gherman) ever managed to complete.  Actually after spending a dozen years making it he died before he could finish post-production.  Again, quoting Kenny again:  "The movie is adapted from a novel by Russian sci-fi masters Arkady and Boris Strugatsky (whose “Roadside Picnic” inspired Tarkovsky’s visionary, disagreeable 'Stalker'). “Sci-fi? But didn’t you mention a ‘medieval’ setting?” is maybe what you’re asking. Indeed I did. The conceit of 'God' is a rather pointedly allegorical one: Earth scientists have been secreted on a planet much like our own, one that is going through its own Middle Ages, and the movie tells the story of one such scientist who is powerless to stop the ruling class wipeout of what’s called the intelligentsia—that is, anyone among the population who can read or write. The focus of German’s movie is one such scientist, Don Rumata, played with admirable diligence and droll irony by Leonid Yarmolnik. He’s “disguised” as a nobleman who some inhabitants believe to be descended from a god. And in his real-life capacity as something close to a god, he’s appalled by the power plays going on around him, but helpless to stop it."

hard-to-be-a-god1.jpg

Described by Jonathan Romney as "art house cinema at its most heroically extreme," Peter Bradshaw writes on it's unique misc-en-scene:  "It really is authentically and awe-inspiringly insane, an unspooling nightmare of dismay, with long takes opening up a seamless surreal panorama. German appears to have overdubbed the dialogue (a little like Alexandr Sokurov) so that wherever they are spoken, lines sound like they are being intoned from within – which makes it all even more like a bad dream. There is a great deal of that Kafkaesque anxiety and wounded humour of the kind that German brought to the satires of the Stalin era from earlier in his career.  Each shot is a vision of pandemonium: a depthless chiaroscuro composition in which dogs, chickens, owls and hedgehogs appear on virtually equal terms with the bewildered humans, who themselves are semi-****. The camera ranges lightly over this panorama of bedlam, and characters both important and unimportant will occasionally peer stunned into the camera lens, like passersby in some documentary."

maxresdefault.jpg

Nymph()maniac is the most recent movie of Lars von Trier.  Clocking in at five hours it consists of Charlotte Gainsbourg telling Stellan Skarsgard of how she has dealt with the trauma of her life by engaging in promiscuous sex.  Gainsboirg is very good, though the movie, to put it mildly, is not for everyone.  Thurman gives what may be her best performance as the wife of one of the men Gainsbourg's character is having an affair.  When she finds out she had what amounts to an epic meltdown:

140327_ThurmanMain.jpg

A Touch of Sin is perhaps the most commercial film of Chinese director Jia Zhangke, known for more modernist takes on post-Maoist China such as Platform, 24 City and Still Life.  The movie basically consists of four stories of people caught up in the wealth and corruption of modern China.  In the first story Wu Jiang, who I chose for best supporting actor, plays a man outraged at local corruption of Party and Capital and after having little success, resorts to drastic action.  In the third story, Zhao Tao got a supporting actress nomination from me playing a woman who works at a massage parlor who suffers unwanted attention from the friends of the wife of the man she is having an affair with.  She also has problems with her customers.  In the fourth story Lanshan Luo was a runner-up as a young man who has to flee from his factory to avoid paying a fine.  He finds work at an upscale brothel and has a crush on one of the employees there. 

a-touch-of-sin-stills-da-hai-jiang-wu-03

Touch-of-Sin-Knife.jpg

A%2BTouch%2Bof%2BSin%2B%5B2014%5D-720p-B

From top to bottom, Wu Jiang, Zhao Tao and Lanshan Luo with Meng Li

• Bogie56, LawrenceA and CoraSmith like this

#43 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,623 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:53 PM

I have not seen:

Angel Home

Bastards

Belle

The Bling Ring

Blue Caprice

The Book Thief

The Brain Man

Brothers: The Final Confession

Cadet

Charlie's Country

Cheap Thrills

Child's Pose

Coherence

The Congress

Crystal Fairy and the Magical Cactus

The Dance of Reality

Despicable Me 2

The Devil's Path

The Dismantlement/The Auction

Don't Lose Heart

Dotty

The Double

The East

Enemy

The English Teacher

An Episode in the Life of an Iron Picker

The Eternal Zero

Filth

A Five Star Life

The French Minister

Frozen

Gabrielle

Gloria

Go for Sisters

The Grand Seduction

The Great Passage

Hard to Be a God

Honey, There Will Come a Day

Horses of God

The Host

Hotel

How I Live Now

Human Capital

Il Futuro

In a World...

In Bloom

The Invisible Woman

Jealousy

Jimi: All is By My Side

Judas

L'Intrepido

Le Week-End

Life of Crime

Like Father Like Son

Long Live Freedom

The Look of Love

Love & Air Sex

Me, Myself and Mum

Metro Manila

Miss Violence

Mr. Morgan's Last Love

Monica Z

Mother of George

Mourning Recipe

Night Moves

9 Month Stretch

Nobody Owns Me

Ostwind

Paradise: Hope

The Past

Proxy

The Railway Man

The Ravine of Goodbye

The Retrieval

Safe Haven

The Selfish Giant

Some Girl(s)

Song 'e Napule

Sparrows Dance

Stand Clear of the Closing Doors

Starred Up

A Story of Yonosuke

The Strange Little Cat

Stranger By the Lake

Stray Dogs

A Street in Palermo

Suzanne

A Touch of Sin

Tracks

The Turning

Upstream Color

Venus in Furs

White Reindeer

Why Don't You Play in Hell

Wounded

Young & Beautiful

#44 skimpole

skimpole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:16 PM

Here are the films from 2013 that were mentioned that I have not seen as yet.  Another phone book!

Stranger by the Lake with Patric d’Assumcal

Stranger by the Lake asks whether you would be willing to have great sex with a serial killer.  I suppose I'm not the sort of person who has a lot of sympathy for this basic dilemma.  But trying to be open-minded, I have to say I wouldn't keep doing it.  The movie is a French one which takes place by a nude beach where homosexuals meet and have flings.  The movie does include explicit homosexual sex.  But it also has Patric d'Assumcao in a good supporting role who watches the events with a careful skeptical eye.

05.jpg

d'Assumcao on the left, Pierre Deladonchamps on the right, who really should have better taste in men.

• Bogie56 and LawrenceA like this

#45 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,623 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:35 AM

Ain’t Them Bodies Saints with Rooney Mara, Keith Carradine and Ben Foster

Anchorman 2 with Meegan Good

Bad Words with Jason Bateman, Kathryn Hahn and Roshan Chand

Begin Again with Keira Knightley

Big Bad Wolves with Tzahi Grad

Blue Ruin with Macon Blair and Devin Ratray

Don Jon with Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Julianne Moore

Ender’s Game with Asa Butterfield and Hailee Steinfeld

Enough Said with James Gandolfini, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Tavi Gevinson and Catherine Keener

42 with Chadwick Boseman

Fruitvale Station with Octavia Spencer, Michael B. Jordan and Melonie Diaz

Hateship Loveship with Kristen Wiig, Nick Nolte, Guy Pearce, Christine Lahti, Sami Gayle and Hailee Steinfeld

The Heat with Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire with Jennifer Lawrence

The Immigrant with Marion Cotillard, Joaquin Phoenix and Jeremy Renner

Iron Man 3 with Robert Downey, Jr., Ben Kingsley and Gwyneth Paltrow

Jimmy P: Psychotherapy of a Plains Indian with Mathieu Amalric and Benicio Del Toro

Joe with Nicolas Cage, Gary Poulter and Tye Sheridan

Locke with Tom Hardy

Man of Steel with Henry Cavill

New World with Wang Jung-min

Pain & Gain with Mark Wahlberg

Nymphomaniac with Charlottee Gainsbourg, Stellan Skarsgard, Christian Slater, Uma Thurman and Stacy Martin

Pacific Rim with Rinko Kikuchi

Prince Avalanche with Paul Rudd, Emile Hirsch and Joyce Payne

Prisoners with Jake Gyllenhaal, Hugh Jackman, Paul Dano, Viola Davis and Melissa Leo

The Sacrament with Gene Jones

Short Term 12 with Brie Larson, Kaitlyn Dever and Keith Stanfield

Snowpiercer with Tilda Swinton, John Hurt, Alison Pill and Song Kang-ho

The Spectacular Now with Shailene Woodley, Miles Teller, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Bob Odenkirk

Stoker with Matthew Goode, Nicole Kidman and Mia Wasilkowska

The Way Way Back with Sam Rockwell, Toni Collette, AnnaSophia Robb, Alison Janney and Liam James

We Are the Best! with Mira Birkhammer, Mira Grosin and Liv LeMoyne

World War Z with Brad Pitt

I've seen these. Short Term 12PrisonersWe Are the Best!, and Don Jon rank among my favorites of the year, but others have expressed their dislike of some of them, so you may think they're garbage. I'll just mention a couple of the less mainstream choices from among my nominees:

Big Bad Wolves is an Israeli film about a grieving father (my nominee Tzahi Grad) who kidnaps the man suspected of killing his daughter. He brings him to an isolated location with the intention of torturing him into a confession. A policeman on the case shows up and makes things difficult. This is blackly comic, and the strange tone may not be for everyone. Grad plays his character very low-key and deadpan, and I thought he was very good.

Tzahi+Grad+in+Big+Bad+Wolves.jpg

New World is a South Korean gangster movie. The plot is rather cliched, with an undercover cop (Lee Jung-jae) torn between his duty, his family, and his growing bond with those he's supposed to be taking down, such as the hot-headed wild card Jung Chung (my nominee Hwang Jung-min). SK star Choi Min-sik co-stars as Lee's police supervisor. The performances save this from being too routine, and there's a surprising ending. I liked Hwang quite a bit, and he has a real character arc, from starting out in the film as an insufferable jerk to slowly morphing into one of the more sympathetic characters of the piece.

275032_013.jpg

The Sacrament got a lot of good press for an indie horror movie, but I thought it was rather disappointing. It's shot in the found footage style, as a Vice-News-like team of investigators go to a remote location in another country to visit the sister of one of the reporters. She's joined a religious commune, which quickly reveals itself to be a cult. This is the Jim Jones cult story, fictionalized, and it follows the specifics of that group's demise so closely as to render little suspense to the film. However, I did like the performance by Gene Jones as the cult leader. He gets a couple of stand-out moments, speaking to the reporters and his flock, and he nails the mix of phony down-home folksiness masking the growing megalomania beneath.

The-Sacrament-2013-2.jpg

• Bogie56 and CoraSmith like this

#46 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,011 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:29 AM

Watching another film must begin to feel like a burden. For myself I have a rule that my watchlist can never exceed 100 titles. Otherwise there is no end in sight. Here are a few more tips:

Enemy is a film by Canadian director Denis Villeneuve. Jake Gyllenhaal plays his own double in this fictional nightmare. He manages to make the protagonist (left) look more sympathetic than his doppelgänger (right), without turning them into stereotypes. Mélanie Laurent and Sarah Gadon have convincing supporting roles as the respective girlfriend and wife of the lookalikes.

It turns out that I've seen Enemy after all.  I like to keep an endless list of films to see with the hope that it will inspire me to live to a very ripe old age.

• CoraSmith likes this

#47 CoraSmith

CoraSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:03 AM

Watching another film must begin to feel like a burden. For myself I have a rule that my watchlist can never exceed 100 titles. Otherwise there is no end in sight. Here are a few more tips:

Enemy is a film by Canadian director Denis Villeneuve. Jake Gyllenhaal plays his own double in this fictional nightmare. He manages to make the protagonist (left) look more sympathetic than his doppelgänger (right), without turning them into stereotypes. Mélanie Laurent and Sarah Gadon have convincing supporting roles as the respective girlfriend and wife of the lookalikes.

enemy-2.jpg?w=720&quality=85

Mr. Morgan's Last Love is a drama by Sandra Nettelbeck set in France about an unlikely friendship. There's a chemistry between Michael Caine and Clémence Poésy, who play each other's opposite in many senses. He's old, male, cynical and American; she's young, female, idealistic and French. Don't expect anything spectacular, but the actors make the characters look real and vulnerable.

mr-morgans-last-love.jpg?w=670&h=377&cro

The English Teacher is a romantic comedy about theater. Julianne Moore plays the title character. She teaches English in a small town. I nominated Nathan Lane for his supporting role as the neurotic man who dreamed of being a Broadway director, but got stuck as the local high school drama teacher. One of the pupils is played by Lily Collins, the daughter of singer Phil Collins.

nathan-lane-julianne-moore-the-english-t

Paradise: Hope (Paradies: Hoffnung) is the third part of an Austrian film trilogy by Ulrich Seidl. Each part is about an unhappy woman trying to improve her life. This one is about a diet camp for overweight teenagers. It becomes quite funny when it turns out these teenagers just want to have fun and don't care much about their weight. Melanie Lenz plays the lethargic girl who feels attracted to the camp doctor, played by Joseph Lorenz.

Paradies2.jpg

• Bogie56 and LawrenceA like this

#48 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,011 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:34 PM

Ain’t Them Bodies Saints with Rooney Mara, Keith Carradine and Ben Foster

Anchorman 2 with Meegan Good

Angel Home with Shihori Kanjiya

Bad Words with Jason Bateman, Kathryn Hahn and Roshan Chand

Bastards with Vincent Lindon, Michel Subor, Chiara Mastroianni, Lola Creton and Julie Bataille

Begin Again with Keira Knightley

Belle with Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Tom Wilkinson, Penelope Wilton and Emily Watson

Big Bad Wolves with Tzahi Grad

The Bling Ring with Emma Watson, Georgia Rock and Claire Julien

Blue Caprice with Isaiah Washington

Blue Ruin with Macon Blair and Devin Ratray

The Book Thief with Sophie Nelisse

The Brain Man with Fumi Nikaido

Brothers: The Final Confession with Natalka Polovynka

Cadet with Robbie Cleiren (short subject]

Charlie’s Country with David Gulpilil

Cheap Thrills with David Koechner

Child’s Pose with Luminita Gheorgiu and Natasa Raab

Coherence with Emily Baldoni

The Congress with Robin Wright

Crystal Fairy and the Magical Cactus with Gaby Hoffman

The Dance of Reality with Pamela Flores and Jeremias Herskovitz

The Devil’s Path with Pierre Taki

The Dinner with Alessandro Gassman

The Dismantlement/The Auction with Gabriel Arcand

Don Jon with Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Julianne Moore

Don’t Lose Heart with Pierre Taki

Dotty with Alison Bruce [2012 short subject]

The East with Ellen Page

Ender’s Game with Asa Butterfield and Hailee Steinfeld

The English Teacher with Nathan Lane and Lily Collins

Enemy with Sarah Gadon

Enough Said with James Gandolfini, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Tavi Gevinson and Catherine Keener

An Episode In the Life of an Iron Picker with Nazif Mujic

The Eternal Zero with Jun’ichi Okada

Filth with James McAvoy, Shirley Henderson and Eddie Marsan

A Five Star Life with Margherita Buy

42 with Chadwick Boseman

The French Minister with Niles Arestrup

Fruitvale Station with Octavia Spencer, Michael B. Jordan and Melonie Diaz

Gabrielle with Gabrielle Marion-Rivard

Go For Sisters with Yolanda Ross

The Grand Seduction with Gordon Pinsent

The Great Passage with Ryuhei Matsuda

Hard to be a God with Leonid Yarminik

Hateship Loveship with Kristen Wiig, Nick Nolte, Guy Pearce, Christine Lahti, Sami Gayle and Hailee Steinfeld

The Heat with Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy

Honey, There Will Come a Day with Jasmine Trinca

Horses of God with Zouhari Sabri and Achraf Afir

The Host with Saoirse Ronan and Diane Kruger

Hotel with Anna Biekerud

How I Live Now with Saoirse Ronan

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire with Jennifer Lawrence

If Futuro with Rutger Hauer

The Immigrant with Marion Cotillard, Joaquin Phoenix and Jeremy Renner

In a World… with Lake Bell and Fred Melamed

In Bloom with Mariam Bokeira

Iron Man 3 with Robert Downey, Jr., Ben Kingsley and Gwyneth Paltrow

Jealousy with Louis Garrel and Anna Mouglalis

Jimi: All Is By My Side with Andre Benjamin

Jimmy P: Psychotherapy of a Plains Indian with Mathieu Amalric and Benicio Del Toro

Joe with Nicolas Cage, Gary Poulter and Tye Sheridan

Judas with Aleksey Sheychenkov

Le Week-End with Jim Broadbent, Lindsay Duncan and Jeff Goldblum

Life of Crime with Mos Def and John Hawkes

Like Father Like Son with Lily Frankly, Pierre Taki and Yoko Maki

L’Intrepido with antonio Albanese

Locke with Tom Hardy

Long Live Freedom with Valerio Mastandrea

The Look of Love with Steve Coogan and Imogen Poots

Love & Air Sex with Sara Paxton

Man of Steel with Henry Cavill

Me, Myself and Mum with Guillaume Galliene

Miss Violence with Themis Panou

Monica Z with Edda Magnason

Mother of George with Danai Gurira, Isaach de Bankole and Yaya Dacosta

Mourning Recipe with Fumi Nikaido

Mr. Morgan’s Last Love with Michael Caine, Clemence Posey and Justin Kirk

New World with Wang Jung-min

9 Month Stretch with Sandrine Kiberlain

Nobody Owns Me with Mikhael Persbrant

Pain & Gain with Mark Wahlberg

Ostwind with Hana Binke

Pacific Rim with Rinko Kikuchi

Paradise: Hope with Joseph Lorenz

The Past with Bernice Bejo, Ali Mosaffa, Tahar Rahim, Elyes Aguis and Pauline Burlet

Prince Avalanche with Paul Rudd, Emile Hirsch and Joyce Payne

Prisoners with Jake Gyllenhaal, Hugh Jackman, Paul Dano, Viola Davis and Melissa Leo

Proxy with Alexia Rasmussen

The Ravine of Goodbye with Yoko Maki

The Retrieval with Tishuan Scott

Safe Haven with Julianne Hough

The Sacrament with Gene Jones

Short Term 12 with Brie Larson, Kaitlyn Dever and Keith Stanfield

Snowpiercer with Tilda Swinton, John Hurt, Alison Pill and Song Kang-ho

Some Girl(s) with Zoe Kazan and Emily Watson

Song ‘e Napule with Carlo Buccirosso and Paolo Sassanelli

Sparrows Dance with Marin Ireland [2012 film]

The Spectacular Now with Shailene Woodley, Miles Teller, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Bob Odenkirk

Stand Clear of the Closing Doors with Andrea Suarez

Starred Up with Jack O’Connell, Rupert Friend and Ben Mendolsohn

Stoker with Matthew Goode, Nicole Kidman and Mia Wasilkowska

A Story of Yonosuke with Kengo Kora

The Strange Little Cat with Anjorka Strechel

Stranger by the Lake with Patric d’Assumcal

Stray Dogs with Lee Kang-Sheng and Lee Yi-chieh

A Street In Palermo with Elena otta and Alba Rohrwacher

Suzanne with Adel Haenel

A Touch of Sin with Wu Kiang, Luo Lansham and Li Meng

Upstream Color with Amy Seimetz, Shane Carruth

The Way Way Back with Sam Rockwell, Toni Collette, AnnaSophia Robb, Alison Janney and Liam James

We Are the Best! with Mira Birkhammer, Mira Grosin and Liv LeMoyne

White Reindeer with Anna Margaret Hollyman and Laur Lemar-Golsborough

Why Don’t You Play In Hell with Fumi Nikaido

World War Z with Brad Pitt

Wounded with Marian Alvarez

Young & Beautiful/Jeune et jolie with Marine Vacth and Frederic Pierrot

#49 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,011 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:21 PM

The Japanese Academy Awards for 2013 were …

Best Actor

Ryuhei Matsuda, The Great Passage*

Best Actress

Yoki Maki, The Ravine of Goodbye*

Best Supporting Actor

Lily Franky, Like Father Like Son*

Best Supporting Actress

Yoki Maki, Like Father Like Son*

—————————————————————————————

Japan’s Blue Ribbon Awards for 2013 were …

Best Actor

Kengo Kora, A Story of Yonosuke*

Best Actress

Shihori Kanjiya, Angel Home*

Best Supporting Actor

Pierre Taki, The Devil’s Path and Don’t Lose Heart and Like Father Like Son*

Best Supporting Actress

Fumi Nikaido, Why Do’t You Play In Hell and The Brain Man and Mourning Recipe*

#50 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,011 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:06 PM

In 2013 the Canadian Genie Awards became the Canadian Screen Awards.  That year’s winners were …

Best Actor

Gabriel Arcand, The Dismantlement/The Auction*

Best Actress

Gabrielle Marion-Rivard, Gabrielle*

Best Supporting Actor

Gordon Pinsent, The Grand Seduction*

Best Supporting Actress

Sarah Gadon, Enemy* 

——————————————————————————————

The Australian Film Institute Awards for 2013 were …

Best Actor

Leonardo DiCaprio, The Great Gatsby*

Best Actress

Rose Byrne, The Turning* 

Best Supporting Actor

Joel Edgerton, The Great Gatsby*

Best Supporting Actresses

Elizabeth Debicki, The Great Gatsby*

#51 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,011 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:16 PM

Italy’s 12/13 Nastro d’Argento Film Awards for 2013 were …

Best Actor

Aniello Arena, Reality* (12)

Best Actress

Jasmine Trinca, Honey, There Will Come a Day*

Best Supporting Actor

Carlo Verdone, The Great Beauty*

Best Supporting Actress

Sabrina Ferilli, The Great Beauty*

Italy’s 12/13 David di Donatello Awards for 2013 included …

Best Actress

Margherita Buy, A Five Star Life*

Best Supporting Actor

Valerio Mastandrea, Long Live Freedom* 

Italy’s 13/14 David di Donatello Awards for 2013 were …

Best Actor

Toni Servillo, The Great Beauty*

Best Actress

Valeri Bruni Tedeschi, Human Capital*

Best Supporting Actor

Fabrizio Gifuni, Human Capital*

Best Supporting Actress

Valeria Golino, Human Capital*

#52 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,011 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:43 AM

France’s Cesar Awards for 2013 were …

Best Actor

Guillaume Gallienne, Me, Myself and Mum*

Best Actress

Sandrine Kiberlain, 9 Month Stretch*

Best Supporting Actor

Niels Arestrup, The French Minister*

Best Supporting Actress

Adele Haenel, Suzanne*

—————————————————————————————

Sweden’s Guldbagge Awards for 2013 were…

Best Actor

Mikhael Persbrant, Nobody Owns Me*

Best Actress

Edda Magnason, Monica Z*

Best Supporting Actor

Sverrir Gudnason, Monica Z*

Best Supporting Actress

Anna Bielkerud, Hotel*

#53 skimpole

skimpole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:34 PM

Great quotes from 2013

The Wolf of Wall Street

I'm a former member of the middle class raised by two accountants in a tiny apartment in Bayside, Queens. The year I turned 26, as the head of my own brokerage firm, I made $49 million, which really **** me off because it was three shy of a million a week.

#54 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,011 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:08 PM

Here are some performances from 2013 that will be recognized in subsequent years …

Agata Kulesza will win the Los Angeles Film Critics Best Supporting Actress Award and be nominated by the National Society of Film Critics in 2014 for Ida (2013).

Marion Cotillard will win the New York, Boston, Toronto and the National Society of Film Critics Best Actress Awards and be nominated for the Independent Spirit Best Actress Award in 2014 for The Immigrant (2013).

Andre Benjamin will be nominated for the Independent Spirit Best Actor Award in 2014 for Jimi: All Is By My Side (2013).

Tilda Swinton will be nominated for the Independent Spirit Best Actress Award in 2014 for Only Lovers Left Alive (2013).

Andrea Suarez will be nominated for the Independent Spirit Best Supporting Actress Award in 2014 for Stand Clear of the Closing Doors (2013).

Gugu Mbatha-Raw will win the British Independent Films’ Best Actress Award in 2014 for Belle (2013).

Natalka Polovynka will win the Moscow International Film Festival’s Best Actress Award in 2014 for Brothers: The Final Confession (2013).

Fabrizio Bentivoglio and Fabrizio Gifuni will share Italy’s Nastro d’Argento Film Journalists Best Actor Award in 14/15 for Human Capital (2013).

Margherita Buy won Italy’s Nastro d’Argento Film Journalists Best Actress Award in 12/13 for A Five Star Life (2013).

Valerio Mastandrea won Italy’s Nastro d’Argento Film Journalists Best Supporting Actor Award in 12/13 for Long Live Freedom (2013).

Carlo Buccirosso and Paolo Sassanelli will share Italy’s Nastro d’Argento Film Journalists Best Supporting Actor Award in 14/15 for Song ‘e Napule (2013).

David Gulpilil will win the Australian Film Institute’s Best Actor Award in 2014 for Charlie’s Country (2013).

Jun’ichi Okada will win the Japanese Academy Best Actor Award in 2014 for The Eternal Zero (2013).

Tom Hardy will win the Toronto Film Critics Association Best Actor Award and be nominated for the National Society of Film Critics in 2014 for Locke (2013).

Tilda Swinton will be nominated for the Toronto Film Critics Association and the Washington DC Film Critics’ Best Supporting Actress Awards in 2014 for Snowpiercer (2013).

#55 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,011 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:28 PM

The 2013 Venice Film Festival winners were:

Best Actors

Themis Panou, Miss Violence*

Antonio Albanese, L’Intrepido*

Best Actresses

Elena Cotta and Alba Rohrwacher, A Street In Palermo*

—————————————————————————————————

The 2013 San Sebastian Film Festival winners were…

Best Actor

Jim Broadbent, La Week-End*

Best Actress

Marian Alvarez, Wounded*

The 2013 Moscow International Film Festival winners were …

Best Actor

Aleksey Sheychenkov, Judas*

Best Actress

Jale Arikan, Zerre* (12)

#56 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,011 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:28 AM

The 2013 Berlin International Film Festival winners were…

Best Actor

Nazif Mujic, An Episode In the Life of an Iron Picker*

Best Actress

Paulina Garcia, Gloria*

The 2013 Cannes Film Festival winners were…

Best Actor

Bruce Dern, Nebraska*

Best Actress

Bernice Bejo, The Past*

#57 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,011 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:02 AM

The Golden Globe Awards for 2013 were …

Best Actor in a Drama

Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club*

Chiwetel Ejiofor, 12 Years a Slave

Indris Elba, Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom

Tom Hanks, Captain Philips

Robert Redford, All Is Lost

Best Actress in a Drama

Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine*

Sandra Bullock, Gravity

Judi Dench, Philomena

Emma Thompson, Saving Mr. Banks

Kate Winslet, Labor Day

Best Actor in a Comedy or Musical

Leonardo DiCaprio, The Wolf of Wall Street*

Bruce Dern, Nebraska

Oscar Isaac, Inside Llewyn Davis

Joaquin Phoenix, Her

Christian Bale, American Hustle

Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical

Amy Adams, American Hustle*

Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Enough Said

Julie Delpy, Before Midnight

Greta Gerwig, Frances Ha (12)

Meryl Streep, August: Osage County

Best Supporting Actor

Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club*

Barkhad Abdi, Captain Phillips

Bradley Cooper, American Hustle

Michael Fassbender, 12 Years a Slave

Daniel Bruhl, Rush

Best Supporting Actress

Jennifer Lawrence, American Hustle*

Sally Hawkins, Blue Jasmine

Lupita Nyong’o, 12 Years a Slave

Julia Roberts, August: Osage County

June Squibb, Nebraska

#58 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,011 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:54 PM

The Screen Actors Guild Awards for 2013 were ….

Best Actor

Bruce Dern, Nebraska

Tom Hanks, Captain Philips

Forest Whitaker, The Butler

Best Actress

Sandra Bullock, Gravity

Judi Dench, Philomena

Meryl Streep, August: Osage County

Emma Thompson, Saving Mr. Banks

Best Supporting Actor

Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club*

Barkhad Abdi, Captain Phillips

Daniel Bruhl, Rush

Michael Fassbender, 12 Years a Slave

James Gandolfini, Enough Said

Best Supporting Actress

Lupita Nyong’o, 12 Years a Slave*

Jennifer Lawrence, American Hustle

Julia Roberts, August: Osage County

June Squibb, Nebraska

Oprah Winfrey, The Butler

#59 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,011 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:45 PM

The British Independent Film Awards for 2013 were …

Best Actor

James McAvoy, Filth* 

Jim Broadbent, Le Week-End

Steve Coogan, Philomena

Tom Hardy, Locke

Jack O’Connell, Starred Up

Best Actress

Lindsay Duncan, Le Week-End* 

Judi Dench, Philomena

Scarlett Johansson, Under the Skin

Felicity Jones, The Invisible Woman

Saoirse Ronan, How I Live Now

Best Supporting Actor

Ben Mendelsohn, Starred Up* 

John Arcilla, Metro Manilla

Rupert Friend, Starred Up

Jeff Goldblum, Le Week-End

Eddie Marsan, Filth

Best Supporting Actress

Imogen Poots, The Look of Love* 

Siobhan Finneran, The Selfish Giant

Shirley Henderson, Filth

Kriste Scott Thomas, The Invisible Woman

Mia Wasilkowska, The Double

#60 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,011 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:32 PM

The Independent Spirit Awards for 2013 were …

Best Actor

Bruce Dern, Nebraska

Oscar Isaac, Inside Llewyn Davis

Michael B. Jordan, Fruitvale Station

Robert Redford, All Is Lost

Best Actress

Julie Delpy, Before Midnight

Gaby Hoffman, Crystal Fairy and the Magical Cactus

Brie Larson, Short Term 12