We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

The Noir Canon - a different way of looking at it

31 replies to this topic

#1 Marianne

Marianne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • LocationGreater Boston area

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:51 PM

Yes,  we are discussing the 51 film Dark City (verses the 90s film with is unrelated).    While it is a film worth seeing but Scott doesn't have much to do and she isn't a femme fatale.    I would rate it as the least interesting noir Scott was in.

"Charlton Heston in a film noir should be interesting."

Actually, I was wondering more about Charlton Heston, but he was in Touch of Evil, so seeing him in Dark City shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

#2 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,541 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:49 PM

I haven't seen Dark City. Is this the 1951 film with Charlton Heston, Lizabeth Scott, and Don DeFore?

Charlton Heston in a film noir should be interesting.

Yes,  we are discussing the 51 film Dark City (verses the 90s film with is unrelated).    While it is a film worth seeing, Scott doesn't have much to do and she isn't a femme fatale.    I would rate it as the least interesting noir Scott was in.

#3 Marianne

Marianne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • LocationGreater Boston area

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:41 PM

I know what you mean. I go through a few renditions of Film Noir to find the ones I'm currently searching for or interested in. I like Dark City and will check to see if I have a copy. WIll probably return tomorrow and hope I've got it. I do recall another movie from around the same time it reminds me of.
Best Regards as always

I haven't seen Dark City. Is this the 1951 film with Charlton Heston, Lizabeth Scott, and Don DeFore?

Charlton Heston in a film noir should be interesting.

#4 cigarjoe

cigarjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:24 AM

Just thought of another great Film Noir I saw recently. IT is the '54 film called Blackout with Dane Clark, Belinda Lee and Eleanor Summerfield. It has some interesting pathways we follow to the end.

It's been awhile since I've seen it.

#5 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:49 PM

Just thought of another great Film Noir I saw recently. IT is the '54 film called Blackout with Dane Clark, Belinda Lee and Eleanor Summerfield. It has some interesting pathways we follow to the end.
  • cigarjoe likes this

#6 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:21 PM

I know what you mean. I go through a few renditions of Film Noir to find the ones I'm currently searching for or interested in. I like Dark City and will check to see if I have a copy. WIll probably return tomorrow and hope I've got it. I do recall another movie from around the same time it reminds me of.
Best Regards as always

Well, I checked through my files and am so sorry I don't have Dark City. I have another movie pal in Sweden who has a lot of rare classics. I just sent him an e-mail awhile ago requesting the film. He will send it in the next week or two. We have been trading for the last ten years and he has an extensive list of older films we love. So that will be great. Will let you know when I receive it.
Best,
Jsnet
  • GregoryPeckfan likes this

#7 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:15 PM

Oh, I missed so many great posts last night when I was watching The Great Escape and Bullitt.  Oh, but then I went to sleep.

I do not know why when I press the button to view new content I have to go through all sorts of off topic chit chat to find new posts in noir categories.

A lot of people say about Noir: I know it when I see it.  Then they cannot otherwise define it.

There are a lot of my favourite Noir films that are in the first half of the 1960s.  I've been looking at the lists of titles both of you have been mentioning and making a mental list of which ones I have already seen and which ones I haven't.

regarding Dark City the original-I've discovered that there is no way for me to see it where I live. Sigh.

Best Regards as always

#8 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:02 PM

I've always considered Mirage to be underappreciated.

I'm not just saying this as a Peck fan.

People rarely mention this movie on lists of favourite artists and it's quite suspenseful.  It reminds me of Mr. Buddwing.

I am sorry my post ran into another one. I just wanted to say that I had just read a good article about Diane Baker in Classic Images Magazine. SHe was quoted as saying that Gregory Peck was a perfect gentleman and was very nice to work with. She was also impressed by his kindness and good manners. This actor possessed great attributes and could adapt to each role well, and found time to make friends with his fellow man. I loved his performance in Spellbound '47.

#9 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:56 PM

Oh, Okay Cigarjoe.

Yes, Charade airs very often.  It's a film I watch about once a month.  Cary Grant is the star and Peck did end up with a role that was originally meant for Grant in Arabesque as a follow up.  Peck once said that he could fell Grant's fingerprints over every script he got as he knew he was getting Grant rejects.

Mirage is much rarer.  Like Mr. Buddwing it deals with amnesia of the main character following a horrible tragedy.  Peck is the main character.   And like Garner's character in Mr. Buddwing, we don't find out what that it until near the end of the movie.  That is why the one reminds me of other.

I can see why if you haven't seen Mirage in a while even if you have seen it getting the two films confused because Matthau and Kennedy are both in it and we were talking a lot about Charade when Kennedy died.  Charade is called "The Beset Hitchcock movie Hitchcock never made."
 I wanted to add that Jack Weston was great in Mirage too, as a sadistic and menacing character. He had played some other roles that wer

I like Charade as well and haven't seen it for awhile. IT does seem that there are similarities between Cary Grant and Gregory Peck. Both seem debonair, handsome, and perfect gentlemen, Also, as it was pointed out earlier, both actors are multi-talented and are great whether in comedy or drama. In a recent article in Classic Images magazine, Diane Baker was quoted as saying that Gregory Peck was a perfect gentleman and very nice to work with. She had been very impressed with his manners and kindness while making Mirage.

Mirage's leading lady is Diane Baker.

Other actors in the movie include Kevin McCarthy, Jack Weston, and Leif Erickson.

#10 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:43 PM

I just mentioned Mirage in a list of good Film Noirs. I just found a good copy and am planning to watch
tonight. I have really forgotten the punchline, as it was several years ago. I find the movies with amnesia victims intriguing, but quite frankly did not like Mr. Buddwing. He turns out to be an unlikeble chraacter.

I really enjoyed Mirage last night. I had forgotten some of the twists and turns along the way. Yes, Film Noirs were dwindling around that time, but it was a great performance by all. Especially noteworthy were Gregory Peck (natch.), Diane Baker and Walter Matthau. I enjoyed this scary film to the end and really like amnesia films. They usually have an interesting twist at the end. This viewer didn't see it coming in Mirage the first time.

#11 GregoryPeckfan

GregoryPeckfan

Movie Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts
  • LocationCanada - where we have free press

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:19 PM

I just mentioned Mirage in a list of good Film Noirs. I just found a good copy and am planning to watch
tonight. I have really forgotten the punchline, as it was several years ago. I find the movies with amnesia victims intriguing, but quite frankly did not like Mr. Buddwing. He turns out to be an unlikeble chraacter.

You will really enjoy watching Mirage.

I think that Mirage and Mister Buddwing would make a good double feature if they have not already been paired.

Peter Fonda and Gregory Peck are my heroes.

#12 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:29 PM

I can't remember if I've seen it or not.

• MCannady1 and GregoryPeckfan like this

#13 GregoryPeckfan

GregoryPeckfan

Movie Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:06 PM

There are a lot of people I have "met" on this site who get Grant and Peck confused because they look alike. Peck had quite a strong sense of humour in real life, but he was rarely cast in comedies.  He did have a serious edge to him.

I mentioned before on another thread  - What Are You Watching Now - in reply to you pointing out that Dan Dyrea was NOT in San Antonio that I get him mixed up with Paul Kelly.

#14 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,541 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:36 PM

Oh, Okay Cigarjoe.

Yes, Charade airs very often.  It's a film I watch about once a month.  Cary Grant is the star and Peck did end up with a role that was originally meant for Grant in Arabesque as a follow up.  Peck once said that he could fell Grant's fingerprints over every script he got as he knew he was getting Grant rejects.

Mirage is much rarer.  Like Mr. Buddwing it deals with amnesia of the main character following a horrible tragedy.  Peck is the main character.   And like Garner's character in Mr. Buddwing, we don't find out what that it until near the end of the movie.  That is why the one reminds me of other.

I can see why if you haven't seen Mirage in a while even if you have seen it getting the two films confused because Matthau and Kennedy are both in it and we were talking a lot about Charade when Kennedy died.  Charade is called "The Beset Hitchcock movie Hitchcock never made."

Other actors in the movie include Kevin McCarthy, Jack Weston, and Leif Erickson.

My wife gets Peck and Grant confused but mainly because she thinks they have a similar look,  both being very handsome fellows.

I think Peck had a little more of a serious edge to him than Grant.    Of course Peck does fine in comedies and Grant in dramas but I think their overall persona fits better with Grant in comedies and Peck in dramas.    Note that for the film Sabrina Grant was initially cast to play the role that Bogart played.     I don't think Grant would have worked well as a serious hard working business man but Peck would have.    Bogart does a great job of acting in the film but he is clearly 15 - 20 years too old for Hepburn.

#15 GregoryPeckfan

GregoryPeckfan

Movie Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:04 PM

Oh, Okay Cigarjoe.

• MCannady1 likes this

#16 cigarjoe

cigarjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:48 AM

When you said Peck and Matthau I immediately at first thought I knew which one you were talking about but it's Charade. 

#17 GregoryPeckfan

GregoryPeckfan

Movie Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:41 PM

It does not air on television very often.  If I remember correctly, I only saw it for the first time around 10 years ago. 

#18 cigarjoe

cigarjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:54 PM

People rarely mention this movie on lists of favourite artists and it's quite suspenseful.  It reminds me of Mr. Buddwing.

• MCannady1 likes this

#19 GregoryPeckfan

GregoryPeckfan

Movie Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 07:05 PM

• kingrat and MCannady1 like this

#20 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,541 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 March 2016 - 06:04 PM

Joe, there are a couple of other 1965 films to add to the noir list:

MIRAGE

RETURN FROM THE ASHES

MIRAGE is a belated classic noir, yet another version of the amnesia story, and one of the best. RETURN FROM THE ASHES has a European setting and reverses the sexes, with Maximilian Schell in the femme fatale role (or "homme fatal").

Oh no,  yet another phase we can all debate;  belated classic noir.

;)

Mirage being directed by Edward Dmytryk does give the film a classic noir pedigree.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users