We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

One Romantic Night aka The Swan (1930)

Lillian GishPre-code Romance Marie Dressler

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:41 AM

I saw this for the first time tonight.

I realized part way through that this was the original version of the Grace Kelly/Alec Guiness/Louis Jourdan movie that I adore and find irresistible.  A.G. was hilarious

This is a much more fun film to watch than Black Legion which I watched earlier tonight.

Lillian Gish is the princess and of all people, her mother is played by Marie Dressler.  I found this hard to get past as they do not look to me as if they could be mother and daughter.

I enjoyed the film, but it doesn't hold a candle to the remake from 1956 in my opinion.

I say this knowing full well that I am a fan of everyone involved in the remake.  I admit this.

And finally, I succeeded in watching two PVR recordings that I planned to watch once and then delete to try to cut down on my PVR. 

......Granted, being that this movie is short and I'm recording movies overnight, this isn't decreasing the volume much......

Oh, well.

I, too, love MGM's "The Swan".

It has such a perfect cast.

Grace Kelly and Jessie Royce Landis were always a perfect mother/daughter combo.

But I have always felt that Alec Guinness was far more interested in Louis Jordan than Grace Kelly.

And, knowing what we know of him today, this one could be his most subversive performance.

• GregoryPeckfan likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#2 GregoryPeckfan

GregoryPeckfan

Movie Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts
  • LocationCanada - where we have free press

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:46 AM

I saw this for the first time tonight.

I realized part way through that this was the original version of the Grace Kelly/Alec Guiness/Louis Jourdan movie that I adore and find irresistible.  A.G. was hilarious

This is a much more fun film to watch than Black Legion which I watched earlier tonight.

Lillian Gish is the princess and of all people, her mother is played by Marie Dressler.  I found this hard to get past as they do not look to me as if they could be mother and daughter.

I enjoyed the film, but it doesn't hold a candle to the remake from 1956 in my opinion.

I say this knowing full well that I am a fan of everyone involved in the remake.  I admit this.

And finally, I succeeded in watching two PVR recordings that I planned to watch once and then delete to try to cut down on my PVR. 

......Granted, being that this movie is short and I'm recording movies overnight, this isn't decreasing the volume much......

Oh, well.

• rayban likes this
Peter Fonda and Gregory Peck are my heroes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lillian GishPre-code, Romance, Marie Dressler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users