We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Marie Dressler as SOTM June 2016

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 24 May 2016 - 01:58 PM

Here's a link to Robert Osborne's article on Marie Dressler, originally published in the June 2016 issue of the TCM Now Playing magazine: http://www.tcm.com/t...e-Dressler.html.

• GregoryPeckfan likes this

#2 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:33 PM

I personally feel that Marie Dressler is a wonderful choice for the Star of the Month.

Usually TCM does a group Star of the Month kind of thing every June. In past years we've had singing cowboys and pin-up girls. So I was a little surprised they went outside the box with Marie, especially since a lot of her films are from the precode years. Don't get me wrong. I am glad they made this choice. She's quite deserving. So is Marion Davies, who has not yet been so honored.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#3 CinemaInternational

CinemaInternational

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:09 PM

I personally feel that Marie Dressler is a wonderful choice for the Star of the Month.

• TopBilled likes this

#4 LatriceRoyale

LatriceRoyale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:31 PM

Thank you Barton Keyes for posting the Monday Marie Dressler Must See Movies in June.

I adore Marie and appreciate that TCM is honouring her as SOTM.

I plan on recording several of her movies and particularly look forward to my favourites, Emma and Min and Bill.
  • TopBilled likes this

You cannot have it both ways.  A dancer who relies upon the doubtful comforts of human love can never be a great dancer. Never!

Boris Lermontov

#5 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:04 AM

Yes, Marie Dressler was featured during Summer Under the Stars on August 4, 2008.

The films which TCM aired that day were:

THE HOLLYWOOD REVUE

TILLIE'S PUNCTURED ROMANCE

THE DIVINE LADY

THE VAGABOND LOVER

THE GIRL SAID NO

LET US BE GAY

REDUCING

POLITICS

DINNER AT EIGHT

MIN AND BILL

EMMA

ANNA CHRISTIE

TUGBOAT ANNIE

THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT! III

With the exception of that last title, all of those films will be airing again in June and a lot of them are rarely seen on TCM.

Yes, that's when I became an unabashed Marie Dressler fan. LOL Later that month, they also had a day for Marion Davies. 

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#6 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:49 AM

If I am not mistaken, she was a Summer Under the Stars honoree in August 2008. The reason I remember this is because I had just started watching TCM a month earlier, and it was my first exposure to some of those rare early 30s films. With the exception of ANNA CHRISTIE and DINNER AT EIGHT, most of the titles for this tribute have not aired on TCM since 2008. 

Yes, Marie Dressler was featured during Summer Under the Stars on August 4, 2008.

The films which TCM aired that day were:

THE HOLLYWOOD REVUE

TILLIE'S PUNCTURED ROMANCE

THE DIVINE LADY

THE VAGABOND LOVER

THE GIRL SAID NO

LET US BE GAY

REDUCING

POLITICS

DINNER AT EIGHT

MIN AND BILL

EMMA

ANNA CHRISTIE

TUGBOAT ANNIE

THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT! III

With the exception of that last title, all of those films will be airing again in June and a lot of them are rarely seen on TCM.

• TopBilled likes this

#7 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for posting this list.  There are several movies here I've never seen before, and others I haven't seen in years. 

If I am not mistaken, she was a Summer Under the Stars honoree in August 2008. The reason I remember this is because I had just started watching TCM a month earlier, and it was my first exposure to some of those rare early 30s films. With the exception of ANNA CHRISTIE and DINNER AT EIGHT, most of the titles for this tribute have not aired on TCM since 2008. 

I feel the ones with Polly Moran should have all been scheduled on the same evening. And it would have been nice if CHRISTOPHER BEAN had been presented, since it's one that people most ask about.

#8 GregoryPeckfan

GregoryPeckfan

Movie Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts
  • LocationCanada - where we have free press

Posted 04 March 2016 - 12:18 AM

Thanks for posting this list.  There are several movies here I've never seen before, and others I haven't seen in years. 

• TopBilled likes this
Peter Fonda and Gregory Peck are my heroes.

#9 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:52 PM

Great choice. When I first saw this thread I thought it was another wildly unlikely SOTM request thread, but it actually is so.

That's what I thought too! We've been discussing CHRISTOPHER BEAN, her last film, on another thread. Too bad it was not included here.

Thanks Barton for the information!

#10 Kay

Kay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:38 PM

Great choice. When I first saw this thread I thought it was another wildly unlikely SOTM request thread, but it actually is so.

• TopBilled likes this

#11 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:32 PM

17 films on Monday nights in June!

Fun fact -- Dressler was born in my hometown of Coburg, Ontario

79808-004-4BE0D284.jpg

Marie Dressler on the night she won the Best Actress Oscar for MIN AND BILL (1930). Lionel Barrymore, pictured with her, won Best Actor that night for A FREE SOUL (1931).

Monday, June 6

CHASING RAINBOWS (1929) with Jack Benny

THE DIVINE LADY (1929) with Corinne Griffith

THE PATSY (1928) with Marion Davies

TILLIE'S PUNCTURED ROMANCE (1914) with Charles Chaplin

THE HOLLYWOOD REVUE (1929) with Polly Moran

Monday, June 13

ANNA CHRISTIE (1930) with Greta Garbo

LET US BE GAY (1930) with Norma Shearer

THE GIRL SAID NO (1930) with Polly Moran

THE VAGABOND LOVER (1929) with Rudy Vallée

Monday, June 20