We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Movie on TCM frozen....who can I report it to?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Carol Anne

Carol Anne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:46 PM

"The Sorcerers" froze at least a dozen times while I tried to watch it on-line.  Logged out, came back, no better.  I've watched several other movies in the past few days with no freezing.

#2 Stephan55

Stephan55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 05:42 AM

Now that you mention it, I HAVE had other issues w/TCM on Demand such as movies not loading.  I've addressed the issue w/my internet provider (I have a different company for internet than cable and always get message "internet connection to slow" however have NO other problems w/internet connection only when trying to view movies on TCM on Demand).

Unlike Netflix (and others), which can/will adjust the quality of their feed to suit the limitations of the user's preferences, or bandwidth (i.e. SD/HD, 1mbps/5mbps, etc.) https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

TCM is a bandwidth hog. TCM says they require a minimum of 3mbps download, but I've found that barely adequate without buffering. Depending on whether you are using WiFi and the local user traffic at the time in your house or area, your speeds can fluctuate. If you are barely above their minimum requirement and dip below it at any time you may experience buffering, freezes, audio issues, and/or a total loss of signal, etc., etc.
I recommend using a hard ethernet connection directly from your modem for achieving your max and most consistent download speeds.

You can also use Speedtest to check your speeds and see if they are consistent with what your provider says they should be.  http://www.speedtest.net/

TCM has revised their ON DEMAND app numerous times since release, and each revision often brings new issues to persons who formerly had none. Evidently DirectTV's latest receivers cannot keep up with all these changes, and in actuality, it is TCM's job to make sure that their signals are compatible with the broadcasters hardware limitations, not the other way around. But per these discussions, they keep tossing the ball back in each other's court and nothing productive seems to be happening for most of the subscribers. 

It took TCM a very long time to finally publish a Technical Fact page http://www.tcm.com/watchtcm/help/#info

And I have found numerous inconsistencies with those "facts" as well.

Their ON DEMAND app appears too buggy for many user/subscribers to even use. And each "revision" brings more former users to the complaint table. Sadly, there appears to be no way for user/subscribers to actually communicate with TCM about any of this.

Their CONTACT US link is a sorry joke (on us) http://www.tcm.com/contact-tcm.html

As No One has ever reported a response from from TCM to any emails, phone calls, or even hard copy letters mailed to them regarding any of this.

Peruse these numerous threads and posts on this board and you will discover that.

Occassionally the Moderator will make a reply and say that they will forward a message to "someone", "somewhere".... but nothing positive appears to come of that, so perhaps they ignor the Mod/s as they do the rest of us here.

But don't let other persons experiences deter you from trying.... Though many of us have finally given up, some of us still harbor a faint hope that TCM will actually respond to someone who posts here.... one day????

Good luck...

• Debra Johnson likes this

"We all go a little mad sometimes. Haven't you?"  "...They're probably watching me..."

I have been told that I have a tendency toward verbosity.

#3 Debra Johnson

Debra Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:40 AM

Before you set yourself up for additional disappointment, check out the threads and posts in the PROBLEMS WITH TCM board.

http://forums.tcm.co...ms-with-tcmcom/

You'll discover there (or the hard way)  that TCM has yet to directly respond to anyone's emails, phone calls or letters, regarding issues concerning problems with their TCM ON DEMAND app.... And evidently (per numerous posts on the subject) there is an ongoing (sometimes sporadic) uncorrected issue with Direct TV's receivers and TCM reception (On Demand and otherwise)...

Now that you mention it, I HAVE had other issues w/TCM on Demand such as movies not loading.  I've addressed the issue w/my internet provider (I have a different company for internet than cable and always get message "internet connection to slow" however have NO other problems w/internet connection only when trying to view movies on TCM on Demand).

#4 Debra Johnson

Debra Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:36 AM

You think you got it bad, Debra but how about me?

I wait years to see both "Alphaville" by Jean-Luc Godard and the original French film that "Scarlet Street" was based on, "La Chienne" by Jean Renoir and TCM puts both of them on their schedule and then with no explanation just replaces them with other movies.

I was crushed. Got out the Exacto blades and contemplated ending it all, but then thought better of it since they were showing a Robert Benchley short later that day.

I feel your pain but unless you are packing heat, I would give up the vendetta. I do hope they show it again for you though, in earnest sincerity.

I've seen the end of the film. Uh, don't get too excited about getting to see it.

You mean "Scarlett Street" w/Edward G. Robinson?  I didn't know that was a remake.  I love that movie!

I contacted DirectTV they couldn't do anything over the phone.  Promised I'd hear something from their higher headquarter in 2-3 days....it's bee 4.  I notice TCM on Demand pulled the movie from the menu list.

#5 Stephan55

Stephan55

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 12:07 PM

I have Direct TV.  Last week I attempted to watch a movie on TCM on Demand "Hard, Fast & Beautiful" released in 1951.  It seemed to be a really good movie but it was damaged and froze at the 25 minute mark EVERY SINGLE TIME I attempted to watch it.  Now, I'm frustrated because after watching the first 25 minutes then checking out the synopsis on IMDb I REALLY want to see this move.  It's not on YouTube and the cheapest copy I can find on amazon.com is like $15

Anyone know whom I should contact at TCM because I feel they should put up a  good copy of the movie so the viewing audience who started watching can finish w/o having to purchase the movie :(

Before you set yourself up for additional disappointment, check out the threads and posts in the PROBLEMS WITH TCM board.

http://forums.tcm.co...ms-with-tcmcom/

You'll discover there (or the hard way)  that TCM has yet to directly respond to anyone's emails, phone calls or letters, regarding issues concerning problems with their TCM ON DEMAND app.... And evidently (per numerous posts on the subject) there is an ongoing (sometimes sporadic) uncorrected issue with Direct TV's receivers and TCM reception (On Demand and otherwise)...

• CaveGirl and Debra Johnson like this

"We all go a little mad sometimes. Haven't you?"  "...They're probably watching me..."

I have been told that I have a tendency toward verbosity.

#6 CaveGirl

CaveGirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 11:38 AM

You think you got it bad, Debra but how about me?

I wait years to see both "Alphaville" by Jean-Luc Godard and the original French film that "Scarlet Street" was based on, "La Chienne" by Jean Renoir and TCM puts both of them on their schedule and then with no explanation just replaces them with other movies.

I was crushed. Got out the Exacto blades and contemplated ending it all, but then thought better of it since they were showing a Robert Benchley short later that day.

I feel your pain but unless you are packing heat, I would give up the vendetta. I do hope they show it again for you though, in earnest sincerity.

I've seen the end of the film. Uh, don't get too excited about getting to see it.

• Stephan55 likes this

#7 limey

limey

Oh, no - not the comfy chair!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 01:49 AM

I have Direct TV.  Last week I attempted to watch a movie on TCM on Demand "Hard, Fast & Beautiful" released in 1951.  It seemed to be a really good movie but it was damaged and froze at the 25 minute mark EVERY SINGLE TIME I attempted to watch it.  Now, I'm frustrated because after watching the first 25 minutes then checking out the synopsis on IMDb I REALLY want to see this move.  It's not on YouTube and the cheapest copy I can find on amazon.com is like $15

Anyone know whom I should contact at TCM because I feel they should put up a  good copy of the movie so the viewing audience who started watching can finish w/o having to purchase the movie :(

Well, there's contact details here: http://www.tcm.com/contact-tcm.html

Probably worth contacting Direct TV as well, as the problem might be at their end.

If you can wait a bit, TCM have it scheduled to air twice in the next month.

• Stephan55, CaveGirl and Debra Johnson like this

#8 Debra Johnson

Debra Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 01:24 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users