We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Lead or Supporting Role?

• Please log in to reply
526 replies to this topic

#1 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,540 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted Today, 10:59 AM

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 2011 …

IMO Berenice Bejo was the leading actress in The Artist.  Oscar had her in the supporting category.  She may have had a lesser role than Jean Dujardin but I didn’t feel she was supporting any other actress and her part was sufficiently large to be considered a lead.

Jodie Foster, Kate Winslet, John C. Reilly and Christoph Waltz are all leading actors in Carnage.

George Clooney is supporting in The Ides of March.

Shailene Woodley is supporting in The Descendants.

#2 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,540 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:41 PM

How about Mark Ruffalo? I have him as a lead, although Oscar had him as supporting. 

I had Ruffalo as supporting actually.  It's a big part but I guess my view at the time was it was the two ladies film with Ruffalo and Wiaskowski as supporting.

#3 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,984 posts
  • LocationBreathin' Down Your Neck!

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:20 PM

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 2010 …

Annette Bening and Julianne Moore are co-leads in The Kids Are All Right.

How about Mark Ruffalo? I have him as a lead, although Oscar had him as supporting. 

#4 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,540 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:13 PM

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 2010 …

IMO Christian Bale was the co-leading actor in The Fighter.  I came to this conclusion right after seeing it and well before all the award nominations came out which unanimously had Bale in supporting.  It certainly did the trick in the case of Oscar as he went on to win it.  But I thought the film was just as much his story as that of the brother.

I have Hailee Steinfeld as the lead actress in True Grit.   The film is clearly her story.  Oscar had her in the supporting category as they so often do in the case of juvenile performers.  Jeff Bridges is the male lead.

Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams are both leads in Blue Valentine.

Annette Bening and Julianne Moore are co-leads in The Kids Are All Right.

Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham Carter are supporting in The King’s Speech.

Olivia Williams is supporting n The Ghost.

#5 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,540 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:54 PM

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 2009 …

IMO Woody Harrelson was the leading actor in The Messenger.  Oscar had him in supporting.

Christopher Plummer was the co-leading actor in The Last Station with James McAvoy.  Helen Mirren was the leading actress.  Oscar had Plummer in the supporting category.

Maggie Gyllenhaal is supporting in Crazy Heart.

Matt Damon is supporting in Invictus.

• CinemaInternational likes this

#6 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,540 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:52 PM

How about Amy Adams in Doubt? She is missing in the final confrontation, but she is in a lot of the rest of the film and seems central.

I have Adams as supporting in Doubt.

#7 CinemaInternational

CinemaInternational

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 02:38 PM

How about Amy Adams in Doubt? She is missing in the final confrontation, but she is in a lot of the rest of the film and seems central.

#8 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,540 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:27 PM

I have Kate Winslet as the lead actress in The Reader.  A few awards actually put her in the supporting category which meant she was not then running against herself in Revolutionary Road​ which was also released in 2008.

#9 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,540 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 30 July 2017 - 06:11 AM

Hathaway isn't in Vicky Cristina Barcelona.  Are you thinking of another movie or another star?

Right you are, thanks.  I meant Rebecca Hall.  i must have been looking at Hathaway's name re, Rachel Getting Married which is right beside it in my list.

#10 CoraSmith

CoraSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:25 AM

Vicky CB: Javier Bardem, Rebecca Hall and Scarlett Johansson are leading. Penélope Cruz is supporting.

• Bogie56 likes this

#11 skimpole

skimpole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:39 AM

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 2008 …

Anne Hathaway and Javier Bardem as leads in Vicky Cristina Barcelona with Penelope Cruz in support.  I’m not sure about Scarlet Johansson as I did not have her on my list.  I will have to see the film again but I suspect she would be a co-lead?

Hathaway isn't in Vicky Cristina Barcelona.  Are you thinking of another movie or another star?

#12 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,540 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 29 July 2017 - 03:22 PM

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 2008 …

IMO Philip Seymour Hoffman was the leading actor in Doubt.  Oscar had him in supporting which is extraordinary because it is his story entirely.  I can only think this was a case of a push on the producer’s part to increase his chances of a win and they did have Meryl Streep to put forward as the leading actress who was a bigger marquee name.

I have Christian McKay as the co-lead with Zac Efron in Me and Orson Welles.  Some awards had him in support.

Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell as co-leads in In Bruges with Ralph Fiennes in support.

Anne Hathaway and Javier Bardem as leads in Vicky Cristina Barcelona with Penelope Cruz in support.  I’m not sure about Scarlet Johansson as I did not have her on my list.  I will have to see the film again but I suspect she would be a co-lead?

Jeremy Renner is the sole lead in The Hurt Locker.

Marisa Tomei is supporting in The Wrestler.

Peter O’Toole is supporting in Dean Stanley.

#13 skimpole

skimpole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 08:38 PM

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 2007 …

IMO Javier Bardem was the co-leading actor in No Country For Old Men.  Oscar and many other awards had him in supporting which he easily won.  This is a true cat and mouse film and much of it is from Bardem’s perspective.  He even opens and closes the film.

Actually Jones closes the film.  And I think it's important to point out that the groups were unanimous that Bardem was a supporting, and not a lead, actor.  This wasn't like 2004 where Foxx got a supporting nomination in Collateral because he was also nominated (and winning) in a lead. It's not like he's running against a more prominent actor (neither Brolin nor Jones) were nominated.  It's not like The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, where Casey Affleck came in second in the Village Voice poll for supporting actor, and seventh for actor.  Bardem may have a lot of screen time, but for much of it he's just an unstoppable killing force, like the truck in Duel or the title characters in Jaws and Alien.  There are only a few scenes which do more, and basically they just add to his aura of malevolence.  He's more a screen villain who complicates the action, rather a deep character in his own right.  It's striking the Academy choose actors playing three striking murderers in a row for best supporting.  Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight is supporting, he has no relationship outside his Lord of Misrule function.  (And yet he is clearly more imaginative and striking than Bardem.)  In my view Waltz, Pitt and Laurent, and by definition all the other characters are supporting.  There are large passages of the movie where they aren't present, and one large sequence when none of them are present.

#14 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,540 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:00 PM

Bogie, I agree about The Departed. DiCaprio and Damon are leads. Nicholson is a (sometimes very hammy; unintentionally funny death scene) supporting actor.

Technically, I suppose Meryl Streep is a supporting actress in The Devil Wears Prada. Anne Hathaway has more screen time and the movie is really her story, but Streep plays the character everyone remembers, the one just about any actress of the right age would want to play, and I think that makes her a lead. Comparison: William Holden is obviously a lead in Sunset Boulevard, and the movie is his story, but Gloria Swanson's Norma Desmond feels like a lead, even though she has much less screen time.

Both Holden AND Swanson are the leads of Sunset Blvd.  Leads of the opposite sex don't have to be the same size.  The film is just as much about Norma Desmond as it is Joe Gillis.  We discover Norma through Joe.

Arguably Robert De Niro is the most memorable performer in Mean Streets but he is still supporting in that film.  I don't think that is the correct argument to use to judge Meryl Streep's part in Devil Wears Prada.  In any event these are just my own observations but I have been keeping this in mind when watching all of these films over the years.  It's harder to judge this if you are only looking back on them now.  Keep it in mind and see what you think the next time you watch it.

#15 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,984 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:33 PM

IMO Javier Bardem was the co-leading actor in No Country For Old Men.  Oscar and many other awards had him in supporting which he easily won.  This is a true cat and mouse film and much of it is from Bardem’s perspective.  He even opens and closes the film.

I guess I can concede this. I felt Josh Brolin and Tommy Lee Jones were the leads, with Bardem the demon snaking around them both as a supporting character. And the fact that you are never really let in on what his character is thinking, whereas you get that from both Brolin in the first half and Jones in the latter part of the film.

This will be another case of my supporting winner being moved to a lead and not winning. It's happened in virtually every other year or more.

• CoraSmith likes this

#16 kingrat

kingrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:10 PM

Bogie, I agree about The Departed. DiCaprio and Damon are leads. Nicholson is a (sometimes very hammy; unintentionally funny death scene) supporting actor.

Technically, I suppose Meryl Streep is a supporting actress in The Devil Wears Prada. Anne Hathaway has more screen time and the movie is really her story, but Streep plays the character everyone remembers, the one just about any actress of the right age would want to play, and I think that makes her a lead. Comparison: William Holden is obviously a lead in Sunset Boulevard, and the movie is his story, but Gloria Swanson's Norma Desmond feels like a lead, even though she has much less screen time.

#17 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,540 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 22 July 2017 - 08:26 AM

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 2007 …

Casey Affleck and Brad Pitt are co-leads in The Assassination of Jessie James by the Coward Robert Ford.  Jesse James may be the dominant figure in the film but it is just as much Robert Ford’s story.  In fact he takes over the film.

Forest Whitaker is supporting in The Great Debaters.

I have Paul Dano in supporting in There Will Be Blood but I should see this one again.

Michael Cera is supporting in Juno.

#18 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,540 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:01 AM

I just watched this last night and would say that Michael Sheen was the lead actor in The Queen.  Some awards had him in the supporting category.  Maybe the thought was everyone is supporting to Her Majesty.

• LawrenceA likes this

#19 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,984 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:52 AM

At the moment I have Forest Whitaker as leading and Jennifer Hudson as supporting, but I can see the counterarguments. 

Who would you consider leading in The Prestige and Little Miss Sunshine?

The Prestige = Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman.

Little Miss Sunshine = Greg Kinnear and Toni Collette.

• Bogie56 and CoraSmith like this

#20 CoraSmith

CoraSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:23 AM

At the moment I have Forest Whitaker as leading and Jennifer Hudson as supporting, but I can see the counterarguments. 

Who would you consider leading in The Prestige and Little Miss Sunshine?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users