We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Lead or Supporting Role?

• Please log in to reply
396 replies to this topic

#1 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,519 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:01 PM

Who would you say are the leads in Glory? I was thinking Matthew Broderick and Morgan Freeman?

I would say Broderick is the sole lead in Glory.

#2 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,247 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:31 AM

Who would you say are the leads in Glory? I was thinking Matthew Broderick and Morgan Freeman?

I only had Broderick as the lead, and Freeman and Washington in support, but I can be convinced otherwise. It's been a while since I've seen it.

#3 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:09 AM

#4 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,519 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:46 PM

Robert De Niro, Ed Harris and Kathy Baker are all leads in Jacknife (1989).

#5 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,519 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:50 PM

1) I would also have Woody Allen as a lead in Crimes & Misdemeanors.

2) I can see where you're coming from, but I always felt Batman was just as much the Joker's story as Bruce Wayne's. I have Nicholson as a lead, but I can change it, if you insist.

3) Would it then follow that Heather McComb and Woody Allen are also leads in New York Stories, since they star in their segments? (This question is academic, since I don't have anyone from this movie nominated)

I have been considering Spike Lee the sole lead in Do the Right Thing. I'm on the fence about Danny Aiello. He was Oscar nominated as supporting, but the movie is almost as much his story as it is Mookie's (Lee).

Yes Woody is also a lead.  I've gone back and forth with Nicholson in Batman but watched it the last time with this question in mind and somehow figured just Batman was the lead.  I have Aiello as supporting in Do the Right Thing

• LawrenceA and CoraSmith like this

#6 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,247 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:22 PM

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 1989 …

IMO Martin Landau was the lead in Crimes and Misdemeanors.  It is Landau’s story all the way.  Perhaps his reputation as a character actor and the producer’s desire to put him in an easier category lead him to be dubbed supporting. 

I am putting Jack Nicholson in the supporting category for Batman even though he has an extraordinary amount of screen time.  This is an instance where screen time isn’t everything.

Nick Nolte and Rosanne Arquette are leads in New York Stories.

1) I would also have Woody Allen as a lead in Crimes & Misdemeanors.

2) I can see where you're coming from, but I always felt Batman was just as much the Joker's story as Bruce Wayne's. I have Nicholson as a lead, but I can change it, if you insist.

3) Would it then follow that Heather McComb and Woody Allen are also leads in New York Stories, since they star in their segments? (This question is academic, since I don't have anyone from this movie nominated)

I have been considering Spike Lee the sole lead in Do the Right Thing. I'm on the fence about Danny Aiello. He was Oscar nominated as supporting, but the movie is almost as much his story as it is Mookie's (Lee).

• CoraSmith likes this

#7 CoraSmith

CoraSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:13 PM

Sean Connery in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - lead or supporting?

I have him as supporting.

• skimpole, LawrenceA and JamesStewartFan95 like this

#8 kingrat

kingrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:48 PM

Sam Neill is a hard call. A Cry in the Dark is Meryl Streep's movie all the way--one of her best performances, I think--but Sam Neill won the Australian equivalent of the Oscar for best actor, which is perfectly understandable. As with many supporting actors, Neill has one memorable big scene, the one where he's beaten down on the witness stand.

#9 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,519 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:56 AM

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 1989 …

IMO Martin Landau was the lead in Crimes and Misdemeanors.  It is Landau’s story all the way.  Perhaps his reputation as a character actor and the producer’s desire to put him in an easier category lead him to be dubbed supporting. 

I am putting Jack Nicholson in the supporting category for Batman even though he has an extraordinary amount of screen time.  This is an instance where screen time isn’t everything.

Gary Farmer and A. Martinez are co-leads in Powwow Highway.

James Spader and Andie MacDowell are the two leads in sex, lies and videotape.

Nick Nolte and Rosanne Arquette are leads in New York Stories.

Jeff And Beau Bridges and Michelle Pfeiffer are all leads in The Fabulous Baker Boys.

Matt Dillon and Kelly Lynch are the two leads in Drugstore Cowboy.

Tom Conti is supporting in Shirley Valentine.

#10 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,247 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:19 PM

Sean Connery in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - lead or supporting?

#11 CoraSmith

CoraSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:52 AM

Is Kelly McGillis a co-lead in The Accused?

• Bogie56 and LawrenceA like this

#12 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,519 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:41 AM

IMO A Fish Called Wanda is so clearly Cleese's movie that he's the only lead.  (One side effect of Kline's shift into lead for BAFTA was that the English Cleese and Palin could both win awards while the American Kline would lose).

I beg to differ on this one.  IMO A Fish Called Wanda is told from three different pov's: Cleese, Curtis and Kline with pretty equal screen time.  Not that screen time is the only factor.

• LawrenceA and CoraSmith like this

#13 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,247 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:23 PM

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 1988 …

IMO John Cleese, Jamie Lee Curtis and Kevin Kline are all leads in A Fish Called Wanda.  Oscar put Kline in the supporting category which he benefited from and won.  BAFTA had him as a lead.

Barbara Hershey and Jodhi May are the leads in A World Apart.  Linda Mvusi is supporting.

John Malkovich and Glenn Close are the leads in Dangerous Liaisons.  Michelle Pfeiffer is supporting.

Sam Neill is the lead actor in A Cry In the Dark.

Melanie Griffith is the sole lead in Working Girl.

Kevin Kostner, Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon are all leads in Bull Burham.

Greta Scacchi and Joss Ackland are the two leads in White Mischief.

Genevieve Bujold is the lead actress in Dead Ringers.

Elizabeth Perkins is the lead actress in Big.

Bryan Brown is supporting in Gorillas In the Mist.

Johanna Ter Steege is supporting in The Vanishing.

I too have Juliette Binoche as a lead and Lena Olin as supporting in The Unbearabe Lightness of Being.

I only have two of those mentioned on my list.

I personally find that 1988 and 1989 are two of the worst years for movies.

#14 skimpole

skimpole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:15 PM

IMO John Cleese, Jamie Lee Curtis and Kevin Kline are all leads in A Fish Called Wanda.  Oscar put Kline in the supporting category which he benefited from and won.  BAFTA had him as a lead.

But Donnadieu and Bervoets are both leads in The Vanishing, right?

IMO A Fish Called Wanda is so clearly Cleese's movie that he's the only lead.  (One side effect of Kline's shift into lead for BAFTA was that the English Cleese and Palin could both win awards while the American Kline would lose).

#15 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,519 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:00 AM

Barbara Hershey and Jodhi May are the leads in A World Apart.  Linda Mvusi is supporting.

John Malkovich and Glenn Close are the leads in Dangerous Liaisons.  Michelle Pfeiffer is supporting.

Sam Neill is the lead actor in A Cry In the Dark.

Melanie Griffith is the sole lead in Working Girl.

Kevin Kostner, Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon are all leads in Bull Burham.

Greta Scacchi and Joss Ackland are the two leads in White Mischief.

Genevieve Bujold is the lead actress in Dead Ringers.

Elizabeth Perkins is the lead actress in Big.

Bryan Brown is supporting in Gorillas In the Mist.

I too have Juliette Binoche as a lead and Lena Olin as supporting in The Unbearabe Lightness of Being.

• CoraSmith likes this

#16 skimpole

skimpole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:17 AM

The Unbearable Lightness of Being:  Binoche as lead, Olin as supporting?

• Bogie56 likes this

#17 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,519 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:53 AM

I have Alfred Molina as a co-lead in Prick Up Your Ears (1987).

• LawrenceA likes this

#18 CoraSmith

CoraSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:25 AM

I saw Broadcast News recently and I was surprised to learn that Brooks was nominated as supporting. I think he has more screen time than William Hurt and part of the story is told from his point of view. Maybe they should both count as leading. Holly Hunter  is of course the leading actress.

• kingrat and LawrenceA like this

#19 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,519 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:55 AM

Radio Days is a tough one indeed. The little boy Seth Green is certainly leading. I think Mia Farrow could count as leading too, because there's a separate storyline revolving around her character.

I think Wall Street has two male leads: Charlie Sheen and Michael Douglas. I'm not sure about Daryl Hannah; her part might be too small to count as a female lead.

Personally I would have put Albert Brooks in the leading category for Broadcast News, but if the consensus is to put him in supporting I'll do that too.

Re, Albert Brooks there is no real consensus.  In fact the National Society of Film Critics nominated him in both categories for the same film.  

• CoraSmith likes this

#20 CoraSmith

CoraSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:35 AM

Are there any leads in Radio Days?

I'm of the mind that some movies don't have any leads, heavily ensemble films like NashvilleShort Cuts, etc.

Radio Days is a tough one indeed. The little boy Seth Green is certainly leading. I think Mia Farrow could count as leading too, because there's a separate storyline revolving around her character.

I think Wall Street has two male leads: Charlie Sheen and Michael Douglas. I'm not sure about Daryl Hannah; her part might be too small to count as a female lead.

Personally I would have put Albert Brooks in the leading category for Broadcast News, but if the consensus is to put him in supporting I'll do that too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users