We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Lead or Supporting Role?

• Please log in to reply
525 replies to this topic

#21 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,946 posts
  • LocationBreathin' Down Your Neck!

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:54 AM

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 2006 …

I have Jennifer Hudson as a lead actress in Dreamgirls.  Oscar had her in supporting and guess what, she won.

Both Forest Whitaker and James McAvoy are leads in The Last King of Scotland.

I was waiting for one of these to come along. I know I'll be overruled (aren't I always in this thread?), but I'll still state my case. The first one isn't as controversial...I think Jennifer Hudson is supporting in Dreamgirls. The leads are Jamie Foxx and Beyonce. Hudson is gone for a section of the film. She's such a big, dominating presence that she steals the film, but I still think she's supporting.

Now, for the more contestable movie. The main problem I have with The Last King of Scotland is that it isn't a movie about Idi Amin (Forest Whitaker). It's a movie about whiny British guy James McAvoy. Idi Amin is just one of the issues and characters in McAvoy's life, and as the film progresses he becomes the sole figure in McAvoy's life, but he's never really seen except for how he affects McAvoy's character. Again, Idi Amin is a big character, and compared to McAvoy's turn, Whitaker overshadows everyone else in the movie. I can understand why people would want to put him as a lead, and as usual, I'll probably re-write my own list to conform (I'll already need to make 5 changes according to what's been posted), but I still say that the story is about McAvoy, and that's why I wasn't crazy about the movie.

• skimpole and KilgoreTrout like this

#22 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:17 AM

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 2006 …

IMO Meryl Streep was a supporting actress in The Devil Wears Prada.  I suspect she was put in the lead category because of her billing but this was clearly Anne Hathaway’s film.  The National Society of Film Critics agreed with me here.

I have Jennifer Hudson as a lead actress in Dreamgirls.  Oscar had her in supporting and guess what, she won.

I have Cate Blanchett as a lead actress along with Judi Dench in Notes on a Scandal.  Oscar had her in supporting which may have been because of the producers application to not split the vote on this film with Ms. Dench.  I think this is a two-hander.

I have Jack Nicholson as supporting in The Departed.  Both Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon are leads.  Mark Wahlberg is supporting.

Both Forest Whitaker and James McAvoy are leads in The Last King of Scotland.

Catherine O’Hara is a lead in For Your Consideration.

Richard Griffiths is supporting in The History Boys though his part usually gets top billing.

#23 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,946 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:05 AM

Of course I don't insist.  This is just IMO.  I tend to go with several leads in films like Sin City and Pulp Fiction as opposed to everyone being supporting.  Because their parts are so big they often end up winning supporting awards.

But I have seen Brokeback three times and felt it was a two-hander each time.  No pun.

I'll switch my lists around. Now I'll have a scant 11 names in my Supporting Actor list, and 24 in the lead!

#24 CoraSmith

CoraSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:44 AM

And Rhys Meyers is the only lead in Match Point?

I was planning to put Scarlett Johansson in the leading category, but it's a borderline case. 

#25 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:37 AM

I'm not sure about these two. Brokeback Mountain seems like a dual-lead, but Gyllenhaal is gone from a lot of the second half, and the story is really about Ennis (Ledger). I'll concede both being leads for the performance thread, but I personally think it's just Ledger's story. I haven't seen it in more than 10 years, though.

I consider Rourke supporting in Sin City. As a portmanteau film, it's difficult to assign leads and supporting, although if pressed I would name only Bruce Willis as a lead, since he leads two of the 4 story segments (not counting the wraparounds). Granted, Rourke steals the entire movie, in my opinion, and I have him as my supporting actor winner, but if you insist, I'll move him.

Of course I don't insist.  This is just IMO.  I tend to go with several leads in films like Sin City and Pulp Fiction as opposed to everyone being supporting.  Because their parts are so big they often end up winning supporting awards.

But I have seen Brokeback three times and felt it was a two-hander each time.  No pun.

• LawrenceA likes this

#26 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,946 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 09:46 PM

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 2005 …

I have both Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal as the leads in Brokeback Mountain.  Oscar had Gyllenhaal in support which I think was an effort to not split the vote.

I have Mickey Rourke as a lead in Sin City.

I'm not sure about these two. Brokeback Mountain seems like a dual-lead, but Gyllenhaal is gone from a lot of the second half, and the story is really about Ennis (Ledger). I'll concede both being leads for the performance thread, but I personally think it's just Ledger's story. I haven't seen it in more than 10 years, though.

I consider Rourke supporting in Sin City. As a portmanteau film, it's difficult to assign leads and supporting, although if pressed I would name only Bruce Willis as a lead, since he leads two of the 4 story segments (not counting the wraparounds). Granted, Rourke steals the entire movie, in my opinion, and I have him as my supporting actor winner, but if you insist, I'll move him.

#27 skimpole

skimpole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 09:34 PM

And Rhys Meyers is the only lead in Match Point?

#28 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:54 AM

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 2005 …

IMO George Clooney was a lead actor in Syriana.  I suspect he was put in the supporting category by the producers to increase his chances of winning.  It worked in the case of Oscar.

I have both Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal as the leads in Brokeback Mountain.  Oscar had Gyllenhaal in support which I think was an effort to not split the vote.

I have Mickey Rourke as a lead in Sin City.

Both Cameron Diaz and Toni Collette are leads in In Her Shoes.

Both Ion Fiscuteanu and Luminita Gheorghiu are the leads in The Death of Mr. Lazarescu.

Barry Pepper is supporting in The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada.

Both Joel Edgerton and Chiwetel Ejiofor are leads in Kinky Boots.

I have Maria Bello as the lead actress in  A History of Violence.  Many awards had her in the supporting category.

• CoraSmith likes this

#29 skimpole

skimpole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:26 PM

I noted that there was disagreement among the critics group whether Phil Davis was lead or supporting in Vera Drake.  Personally I believe Staunton dominates the movie so much all the other characters are supporting.

• Bogie56, LawrenceA and CoraSmith like this

#30 skimpole

skimpole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:22 AM

I have Pacino as supporting in Merchant.  I would have to see the film again to judge the others.

Perhaps.  Shylock is clearly not supposed to be the protagonist.  But has anyone seen the play in the past two centuries because they were interested in who played Antonio?

• kingrat likes this

#31 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:54 PM

Any opinions on The Merchant of Venice

Al Pacino - Shylock

Jeremy Irons - Antonio (the merchant)

Joseph Fiennes - Bassanio

Lynn Collins - Portia

Fiennes and Collins would have a better chance in the supporting category, but a major part of the story revolves around their characters. I would say all four are leading.

I have Pacino as supporting in Merchant.  I would have to see the film again to judge the others.

#32 CoraSmith

CoraSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:21 AM

Any opinions on The Merchant of Venice

Al Pacino - Shylock

Jeremy Irons - Antonio (the merchant)

Joseph Fiennes - Bassanio

Lynn Collins - Portia

Fiennes and Collins would have a better chance in the supporting category, but a major part of the story revolves around their characters. I would say all four are leading.

#33 skimpole

skimpole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 01:31 AM

Crash is one of those where I feel everyone is supporting. If there were leads, it would be Dillon and maybe Terrence Howard, who I personally have in supporting.

If I didn't loathe the movie, I'd suggest Cheadle might be the one lead.

#34 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,946 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 04:15 PM

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 2004 continued …

For starters I have Paul Haggis' Crash as a 2004 film as it was released ublically at the Toronto Film Festival in September of that year.  I have Matt Dillon as a lead in that picture though many awards including the Oscars had him in support.

Crash is one of those where I feel everyone is supporting. If there were leads, it would be Dillon and maybe Terrence Howard, who I personally have in supporting.

#35 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:28 PM

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 2004 continued …

For starters I have Paul Haggis' Crash as a 2004 film as it was released ublically at the Toronto Film Festival in September of that year.  I have Matt Dillon as a lead in that picture though many awards including the Oscars had him in support.

#36 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:40 PM

My most glaring examples are boith *Finch in "Network"-(won leading actor statuette & was on screen a grand total of 17 minutes, though he was MAGNIFICENT!)

& of course *Hoipkins as Hannibal Lechter in 18991's *"Silence of the lambs" total screen time was just 22 minutes. OIt' just probable he was so powrerful in that classic role it seemed longer & both campaigned for Best Actor

& even going way back to *"The Great: Spencer Tracy" as Father Tim Mullen in 18936's "San Francisco' obviously a supporting role, but all historians say he was already so popular by then, they wanted him in the leading race instesd. His role in same yrs "Fury" was obviously the lead

#37 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:39 PM

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 2004 …

IMO both Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx were leads in Collateral.  The film is a two hander and could be argued that it is played from Foxx’s perspective.  Oscar had Foxx in the supporting category which was obviously a nod to Cruise’s top billing.

I have Clive Owen as the lead in Closer.  Oscar had Owen in the supporting category.   Natalie Portman is supporting.

I have Thomas Haden Church as supporting in Sideways.  He has a lot of screen time in this buddy film but toward the end gives way to Giamatti’s story entirely.  Both Virginia Madsen and Sandra Oh are supporting.

I have both Gael Garcia Bernal and Rodrigo De la Serna as leads in The Motorcycle Diaries.  This is another two-hander and is literally told by De la Serna.  Some awards had De la Serna in supporting.

Kate Winslet is the lead actress in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Laura Linney is supporting in Kinsey.

Sophie Okonedo is supporting in Hotel Rwanda.

#38 CinemaInternational

CinemaInternational

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:15 PM

Davis is a lead in American Splendor. As soon as she arrives on the scene, she is in almost every scene with Giamatti.
  • Bogie56 and JamesStewartFan95 like this

#39 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,946 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:05 PM

Johansson is a lead in Lost in Translation. It's her story as much as Murray's.

It's been too long since I've seen the others.

• Bogie56 likes this

#40 skimpole

skimpole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:54 PM

Also we should be clear whether Scarlett Johansson in Lost in Translation and Joan Cusack in School of Rock are lead and supporting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users