We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Lead or Supporting Role?

• Please log in to reply
488 replies to this topic

#21 CinemaInternational

CinemaInternational

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 05:58 PM

I thought that the only lead in Gosford was Kelly MacDonald. (Although a case could be made for Bob Balaban)

#22 CoraSmith

CoraSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 10 June 2017 - 05:19 PM

I'll let Bogie decide on Clive Owen. I'll move J. Connelly to leading - where it's very competitive.

#23 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Cineaste

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,095 posts
  • LocationLook Out!

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:27 PM

In my opinion Kelly Macdonald is the female leading role in Gosford Park. The unusual thing about this mystery is that it's told from the point of view of the servants. In traditional detective stories the servants are only there as witnesses, false suspects or comic relief. Here the servant Mary is the one who solves the crime.

I'm not sure about Clive Owen. He's probably the best candidate for male leading. 

A few more thoughts:

Mulholland Dr.: Watts, Harring and Theroux are all leading?

A Beautiful Mind: Is Jennifer Connelly supporting?

Lost and Delirious: Piper Perabo and Mischa Barton are leading. The latter is also juvenile.

So then I should move Owen out of the supporting category?

Yes to all on Mulholland Dr.

I think Connelly is a lead, personally.

I haven't seen the last film.

#24 CoraSmith

CoraSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:20 PM

In my opinion Kelly Macdonald is the female leading role in Gosford Park. The unusual thing about this mystery is that it's told from the point of view of the servants. In traditional detective stories the servants are only there as witnesses, false suspects or comic relief. Here the servant Mary is the one who solves the crime.

I'm not sure about Clive Owen. He's probably the best candidate for male leading. 

A few more thoughts:

Mulholland Dr.: Watts, Harring and Theroux are all leading?

A Beautiful Mind: Is Jennifer Connelly supporting?

Lost and Delirious: Piper Perabo and Mischa Barton are leading. The latter is also juvenile.

#25 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,787 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:08 PM

Lol...I currently have him as my winner in the supporting category, so I'm gonna need a ruling on that one.

I would say you are safe either way and I saw it again within the last year.  Anyone else have thoughts on this?

#26 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Cineaste

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,095 posts
  • LocationLook Out!

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:01 PM

Yes, Johansson is probably supporting.  If anyone in Gospark Park was a lead it would probably be Clive Owen.

Lol...I currently have him as my winner in the supporting category, so I'm gonna need a ruling on that one.

#27 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,787 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 10 June 2017 - 02:59 PM

Ethan Hawke is certainly the lead character in Training Day, more so than Denzel. (Both are leads, though)

I have Johansson as supporting for Ghost World, with Birch and Buscemi as leads.

No leads in Gosford Park, all supporting?

Yes, Johansson is probably supporting.  If anyone in Gospark Park was a lead it would probably be Clive Owen.

#28 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Cineaste

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,095 posts
  • LocationLook Out!

Posted 10 June 2017 - 02:57 PM

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 2001 …

IMO Jim Broadbent was the lead actor in Iris.  Oscar had him in the supporting category and guess what, he won.  But the film is really about Iris Murdoch’s marriage so both Jim and Judi Dench are leads.  I would say Hugh Bonneville and Kate Winslet playing the couple in flashback are supporting.

Ethan Hawke is co-lead with Denzel Washington in Training Day.  Oscar had him in the supporting category.  This is a case of the producers taking the second billed actor and putting him in the supporting category to increase the chances at winning both awards.  It avoids splitting the vote.  But Ethan Hawke is in every scene in this film and it might even be argued that the film is told from his point of view.

I have Gene Hackman as a lead in The Royal Tenenbaums and Gwyneth Paltrow in supporting.

Steve Buscemi is the lead actor in Ghost World.  Probably both Thora Birch and Scarlett Johansson are the lead actresses.

Ethan Hawke is certainly the lead character in Training Day, more so than Denzel. (Both are leads, though)

I have Johansson as supporting for Ghost World, with Birch and Buscemi as leads.

No leads in Gosford Park, all supporting?

• Bogie56 likes this

#29 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,787 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 10 June 2017 - 02:13 PM

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 2001 …

IMO Jim Broadbent was the lead actor in Iris.  Oscar had him in the supporting category and guess what, he won.  But the film is really about Iris Murdoch’s marriage so both Jim and Judi Dench are leads.  I would say Hugh Bonneville and Kate Winslet playing the couple in flashback are supporting.

Ethan Hawke is co-lead with Denzel Washington in Training Day.  Oscar had him in the supporting category.  This is a case of the producers taking the second billed actor and putting him in the supporting category to increase the chances at winning both awards.  It avoids splitting the vote.  But Ethan Hawke is in every scene in this film and it might even be argued that the film is told from his point of view.

I have Gene Hackman as a lead in The Royal Tenenbaums and Gwyneth Paltrow in supporting.

Steve Buscemi is the lead actor in Ghost World.  Probably both Thora Birch and Scarlett Johansson are the lead actresses.

#30 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Cineaste

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,095 posts
  • LocationLook Out!

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:02 PM

I agree on Crouching Tiger. I had Phoenix in supporting for Gladiator, but your argument makes sense. I would keep Bridges as Supporting for The Contender. Gary Oldman is more of a lead in that than Bridges. (Oldman's role was edited down from what was shot, where he was without question a co-lead)

#31 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,787 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:59 PM

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 2000 …

IMO Marcia Gay Harden was the lead actress in Poll ock.  Oscar had her in the supporting category.  The producers no doubt put her in this category to increase her chances at winning and guess what, it worked.

I have Joaquin Phoenix as the co-lead in Gladiator.  Though it is Russell Crowe’s story the film plays out as a two-hander and Phoenix’s part is very large.

I should see The Contender again as there is probably a case to be made that Jeff Bridges may be the lead actor.  Oscar had him in the supporting category which is where I have him for the time being.

Ziyi Zhang and Michelle Yeoh are co-lead actresses in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Kate Winslet is supporting in Quills.

Bruce Greenwood is supporting in Thirteen Days.

#32 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,787 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 26 May 2017 - 05:01 AM

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 1999 …

IMO Haley Joel Osment was a co-lead along with Bruce Willis in The Sixth Sense.  The movie is his story and he is in the entire thing.  I think this is a case of not wanting to put a juvenile in competition in the lead category.  We saw this years before with Tatum O’Neal in Paper Moon.  Toni Collette is supporting.

I saw Being John Malkovich again not long ago and thought Catherine Keener is the female lead.  Oscar had her in the supporting category but she is never far from what’s going on in this film.  I also thought John Cusack and John Malkovich are the male co-leads.  Cameron Diaz is supporting.

Sarah Polley is the lead actress in Go.

Reese Witherspoon is supporting in Election.  Matthew Broderick is the male lead.

Al Pacino and Russell Crowe are co-leads in The insider.

#33 skimpole

skimpole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:50 PM

Yes, I h

One more question:

The Mask of Zorro: Antonio Banderas is leading. Are Catherine Zeta-Jones and Anthony Hopkins supporting? I remember being disappointed that C Z-J didn't have that much screentime.

Good question.  I have my Actress list sewn up, but she could make my supporting list if she has a supporting role.  Supporting Actress is a bit odd this year:  I haven't seen three of the nominees, I don't remember Redgrave's performance at all, and Dench's role is just too short.

#34 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Cineaste

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,095 posts
  • LocationLook Out!

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:58 AM

Yes, I have a hard time limiting it to a top 10. Sometimes when there are two good leading roles I just have to throw out one of them to avoid an overly long list. It's an exceptional year for juvenile roles too. 

One more question:

The Mask of Zorro: Antonio Banderas is leading. Are Catherine Zeta-Jones and Anthony Hopkins supporting? I remember being disappointed that C Z-J didn't have that much screentime.

I have Zeta-Jones as a lead, but could be persuaded otherwise.

#35 CoraSmith

CoraSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:42 AM

I just finalized my 1998 choices, and was surprised to find that I have more Best Actress nominees than any other category, a rarity for my lists.

Yes, I have a hard time limiting it to a top 10. Sometimes when there are two good leading roles I just have to throw out one of them to avoid an overly long list. It's an exceptional year for juvenile roles too. 

One more question:

#36 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Cineaste

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,095 posts
  • LocationLook Out!

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:25 PM

I just finalized my 1998 choices, and was surprised to find that I have more Best Actress nominees than any other category, a rarity for my lists.

• CoraSmith likes this

#37 CoraSmith

CoraSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:08 PM

I'd have Bacon as supporting

Maybe you're right.

#38 skimpole

skimpole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:59 PM

Wild Things: Neve Campbell, Kevin Bacon and Matt Dillon are leading. Denise Richards is supporting.

I'd have Bacon as supporting

#39 CoraSmith

CoraSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:50 PM

Re, The Celebration I had Henning Mortizen as supporting for some reason though I should see it again.

Ans I had Scarlet Johansson as supporting in The Horse Whisperer but am ready to grant I may be wrong about that one.

The scenes I remember most are those of Scarlett riding the horse before, during and after the accident, but I'll only nominate her for juvenile anyway. 

#40 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,787 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:57 PM

Suggestions for 1998:

The Celebration (Festen): The main conflict is between the eldest son and the father, so Ulrich Thomen and Henning Moritzen are leading. The daughter and the youngest son, by Paprika Steen and Thomas Bo Larsen, are substantial supporting roles.

The Horse Whisperer: R. Redford and K. S. Thomas are leading. Scarlett Johansson is juvenile and also leading. 

Wild Things: Neve Campbell, Kevin Bacon and Matt Dillon are leading. Denise Richards is supporting.

Re, The Celebration I had Henning Mortizen as supporting for some reason though I should see it again.

Ans I had Scarlet Johansson as supporting in The Horse Whisperer but am ready to grant I may be wrong about that one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users