We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Lead or Supporting Role?

• Please log in to reply
510 replies to this topic

#381 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,167 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:42 AM

If so, that seriously changes up my list, since I have Mitchum as lead, and he's the winner!

How about The Great Escape? I have always considered McQueen, Attenborough and Garner as the leads, and everyone else supporting. Sound right?

I'm with all of this this.  3 leads in the Great Escape.  

Re, Cape Fear Mitchum is in the entire film.  Definitely a co-lead.  Equal weight cat vs. mouse.  I have John Malkovich as co-lead in In the Line of Fire (1993) for the same reason.

#382 skimpole

skimpole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:43 AM

How about The Great Escape? I have always considered McQueen, Attenborough and Garner as the leads, and everyone else supporting. Sound right?

I have McQueen as the lead, and the others are supporting.  Attenborough is on the line, Garner is definitely supporting.

#383 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Caretaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,473 posts
  • LocationThe Overlook Hotel

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:10 AM

Cape Fear - I consider Mitchum as supporting, but Polly Bergen as a co-lead with Peck. Mitchum is a serious contender in the supporting category.

If so, that seriously changes up my list, since I have Mitchum as lead, and he's the winner!

#384 kingrat

kingrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:55 AM

Guns of Navarone - Peck and Niven as leads, Quinn as supporting sounds right.

Spartacus - I also wondered about whether Olivier should be considered a lead. If that's what you have, Bogey, I'll go with it.

Judgment at Nuremberg - I don't see Schell as a lead. Definitely not his story. Tracy is a lead, and arguably Dietrich.

Long Day's Journey Into Night - Just saw this again when it was shown recently on TCM. Robards in support and the others as leads is how I would categorize it.

Cape Fear - I consider Mitchum as supporting, but Polly Bergen as a co-lead with Peck. Mitchum is a serious contender in the supporting category.

#385 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Caretaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,473 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:44 PM

Long Day's Journey Into Night (1962) - given the film (and play's) epic length, are all four people leads?

#386 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,167 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:15 PM

Brando is staying a lead in my list, though. Just as you named Jean Simmons a lead in Spartacus, although she has relatively little screen time. Brando has as much, if not more, in Streetcar, But I didn't have a stopwatch out, so I can't be certain. 

I think the fact that Spartacus was an epic had a lot to do with my considering Simmons a female lead.  I have Olivier as a co-lead as well.

• LawrenceA likes this

#387 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,167 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:11 PM

What's the breakdown for Judgment at Nuremberg? Who's lead? Only Tracy? Is Schell really a lead, as Oscar said?

Well, I have Schell and Tracy as co-leads and others as support including Dietrich.

• LawrenceA likes this

#388 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Caretaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,473 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:04 PM

What's the breakdown for Judgment at Nuremberg? Who's lead? Only Tracy? Is Schell really a lead, as Oscar said?

#389 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,167 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:03 PM

Guns of Navarone - all 3 guys on the poster leads?

I have Peck and Niven as leads and Quinn as supporting - for some reason.

#390 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Caretaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,473 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:01 PM

Guns of Navarone - all 3 guys on the poster leads?

#391 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,167 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:00 PM

I have Sordi as the lead in The White Sheik but it has been a few years since I have seen it.  I read somewhere that Sordi was De Niro's favourite actor.

#392 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Caretaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,473 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:43 PM

I'll be working on 1961-1962 tonight, so be prepared for more category clarification requests.

#393 kingrat

kingrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:18 PM

Thelma Ritter has an even larger role in a better movie in 1951, The Model and the Marriage Broker. She plays the marriage broker, not the model, in case you were wondering, and has a wider range of emotion to portray than in any other film of hers I've seen. Thelma makes my list of top five nominees for best actress.

Lawrence, I'll agree that 1951 is not a great year for numbers in the supporting actress category. Most of my candidates are from less familiar films like Decision Before Dawn, Laughter in Paradise, The Tall Target, Westward the Women, Teresa, The Blue Veil, and Goodbye, My Fancy.

1952 will present us with some more problems. I think Colette Marchand plays a lead in Moulin Rouge, even if she does disappear halfway through the movie. Her effect on Jose Ferrer is really what the film is about.

Are Paul Douglas and Robert Ryan leads in Clash by Night, or is Stanwyck the only lead?

Richard Burton is, of course, a lead in My Cousin Rachel.

I think Alberto Sordi has a supporting role in The White Sheik, even if he does play the title character.

#394 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Caretaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,473 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:26 PM

Another of the 1951 Oscar nominees, Mildred Dunnock in Death of a Salesman, was really a lead.

#395 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Caretaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,473 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:03 PM

So then that means I only have 4 contenders in the 1951 Supporting Actress category, and even that was a reach to find that many.

Edit: I went back over the 1951 films, and found one more to fill out the category after all.

Brando is staying a lead in my list, though. Just as you named Jean Simmons a lead in Spartacus, although she has relatively little screen time. Brando has as much, if not more, in Streetcar, But I didn't have a stopwatch out, so I can't be certain. 

Edited by LawrenceA, 28 June 2016 - 04:34 PM.

#396 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,167 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:53 PM

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 1951…

Not surprisingly, Oscar put character actress, Thelma Ritter in the supporting category for The Mating Season.  Sure Gene Tierney and John Lund were leads in this film but it really is the story of how Ritter’s character comes into their lives and changes everything.  The supporting characterization may have had something to do with Ritter playing a domestic servant too.  But this would be like saying Shirley Booth was supporting in her television series, Hazel.  I just watched this today so I was paying particular attention!

I’m probably alone on this one.

Oscar put Marlon Brando in the lead actor category for A Streetcar Named Desire.  In my opinion this was a supporting performance and the only lead was Vivien Leigh’s Blanche DuBois.   Stanley is such a powerful character that it has all the appearances of a lead.  He is in the film no more, probably less than Kim Hunter who most people would agree is a supporting character.

#397 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,167 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 27 June 2016 - 04:36 AM

I have Orson Welles in Touch of Evil and Robert Mitchum in The Night of the Hunter as supporting.  As I recall Mitchum spends much of the movie chasing the children but not coming especially close.  The Academy nominated Natalie Wood in Rebel Without a Cause as supporting, but I always imagined she's be lead.

In my case I have the opposite.  I feel Welles is the co-lead in Touch of Evil.  The film is as much his story as that of Vargas.  And Mitchum is the lead and focus of Night of the Hunter and James Dean is the only lead of Rebel Without a Cause.

#398 skimpole

skimpole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 02:19 AM

I have Orson Welles in Touch of Evil and Robert Mitchum in The Night of the Hunter as supporting.  As I recall Mitchum spends much of the movie chasing the children but not coming especially close.  The Academy nominated Natalie Wood in Rebel Without a Cause as supporting, but I always imagined she's be lead.

#399 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Caretaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,473 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:34 PM

Decision Before Dawn is an oddly structured film. Gary Merrill and Richard Basehart seem to be the leads, then it's all Oskar Werner's story, until Basehart comes in again toward the end. I can go along with Werner as a lead, but it means that the leading actor category in 1951 is incredibly strong, with eight or ten guys who would normally be giving the best performance of the year.

I have 13 Best Actor contenders for 1951.  ;)

• kingrat likes this

#400 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,167 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:04 PM

Psycho - Is Janet Leigh lead or supporting? She was up for supporting Oscar, but....

How about Jean Simmons in Spartacus?

Fred MacMurray in The Apartment?

I have Leigh and MacMurray as supporting and Simmons as the female lead.

• LawrenceA likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users