We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Lead or Supporting Role?

• Please log in to reply
537 replies to this topic

#41 skimpole

skimpole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:26 PM

I noted that there was disagreement among the critics group whether Phil Davis was lead or supporting in Vera Drake.  Personally I believe Staunton dominates the movie so much all the other characters are supporting.

• Bogie56, LawrenceA and CoraSmith like this

#42 skimpole

skimpole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:22 AM

I have Pacino as supporting in Merchant.  I would have to see the film again to judge the others.

Perhaps.  Shylock is clearly not supposed to be the protagonist.  But has anyone seen the play in the past two centuries because they were interested in who played Antonio?

• kingrat likes this

#43 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,008 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:54 PM

Any opinions on The Merchant of Venice

Al Pacino - Shylock

Jeremy Irons - Antonio (the merchant)

Joseph Fiennes - Bassanio

Lynn Collins - Portia

Fiennes and Collins would have a better chance in the supporting category, but a major part of the story revolves around their characters. I would say all four are leading.

I have Pacino as supporting in Merchant.  I would have to see the film again to judge the others.

#44 CoraSmith

CoraSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:21 AM

Any opinions on The Merchant of Venice

Al Pacino - Shylock

Jeremy Irons - Antonio (the merchant)

Joseph Fiennes - Bassanio

Lynn Collins - Portia

Fiennes and Collins would have a better chance in the supporting category, but a major part of the story revolves around their characters. I would say all four are leading.

#45 skimpole

skimpole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 01:31 AM

Crash is one of those where I feel everyone is supporting. If there were leads, it would be Dillon and maybe Terrence Howard, who I personally have in supporting.

If I didn't loathe the movie, I'd suggest Cheadle might be the one lead.

#46 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,614 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 03 July 2017 - 04:15 PM

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 2004 continued …

For starters I have Paul Haggis' Crash as a 2004 film as it was released ublically at the Toronto Film Festival in September of that year.  I have Matt Dillon as a lead in that picture though many awards including the Oscars had him in support.

Crash is one of those where I feel everyone is supporting. If there were leads, it would be Dillon and maybe Terrence Howard, who I personally have in supporting.

#47 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,008 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:28 PM

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 2004 continued …

For starters I have Paul Haggis' Crash as a 2004 film as it was released ublically at the Toronto Film Festival in September of that year.  I have Matt Dillon as a lead in that picture though many awards including the Oscars had him in support.

#48 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:40 PM

My most glaring examples are boith *Finch in "Network"-(won leading actor statuette & was on screen a grand total of 17 minutes, though he was MAGNIFICENT!)

& of course *Hoipkins as Hannibal Lechter in 18991's *"Silence of the lambs" total screen time was just 22 minutes. OIt' just probable he was so powrerful in that classic role it seemed longer & both campaigned for Best Actor

& even going way back to *"The Great: Spencer Tracy" as Father Tim Mullen in 18936's "San Francisco' obviously a supporting role, but all historians say he was already so popular by then, they wanted him in the leading race instesd. His role in same yrs "Fury" was obviously the lead

#49 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,008 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:39 PM

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 2004 …

IMO both Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx were leads in Collateral.  The film is a two hander and could be argued that it is played from Foxx’s perspective.  Oscar had Foxx in the supporting category which was obviously a nod to Cruise’s top billing.

I have Clive Owen as the lead in Closer.  Oscar had Owen in the supporting category.   Natalie Portman is supporting.

I have Thomas Haden Church as supporting in Sideways.  He has a lot of screen time in this buddy film but toward the end gives way to Giamatti’s story entirely.  Both Virginia Madsen and Sandra Oh are supporting.

I have both Gael Garcia Bernal and Rodrigo De la Serna as leads in The Motorcycle Diaries.  This is another two-hander and is literally told by De la Serna.  Some awards had De la Serna in supporting.

Kate Winslet is the lead actress in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Laura Linney is supporting in Kinsey.

Sophie Okonedo is supporting in Hotel Rwanda.

#50 CinemaInternational

CinemaInternational

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:15 PM

Davis is a lead in American Splendor. As soon as she arrives on the scene, she is in almost every scene with Giamatti.
  • Bogie56 and JamesStewartFan95 like this

#51 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,614 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:05 PM

Johansson is a lead in Lost in Translation. It's her story as much as Murray's.

It's been too long since I've seen the others.

• Bogie56 likes this

#52 skimpole

skimpole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:54 PM

Also we should be clear whether Scarlett Johansson in Lost in Translation and Joan Cusack in School of Rock are lead and supporting.

#53 skimpole

skimpole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:03 PM

Any consensus on Hope Davis in American Splendor?  The awards groups were divided, but some of them had it as a combined award with The Secret Lives of Dentists. 

#54 CoraSmith

CoraSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:05 AM

2002 is crammed with roles that are somewhere between leading and supporting.

The Quiet American: It's about a love triangle, so I think Michael Caine, Brendan Fraser and Do Thi Hai Yen are all leading.

White Oleander: Alison Lohman is leading. Michelle Pfeiffer doesn't have much screentime after the first half hour, so I see her as supporting.

8 Women: I see the six family members as leading, the two servants as supporting.

Talk to Her: Javier Camára, Dario Grandinetti and Leonor Watling are leading. Rosario Flores is supporting.

The Importance of Being Earnest: I think Colin, Rupert, Frances and Reese are all leading.

#55 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

The Great Pumpkin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:24 PM

I was busy prepping my lists for next week for 2002, and I was thinking that there was a lot of category confusion due to Chicago, In America, About a Boy, and The Hours. Any thoughts on how to handle it?

Hugh Grant and Nicholas Hoult are both leads in About a Boy, unless you plan on including Hoult in the Best Juvenile Performance category.

#56 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,614 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:46 AM

Are we having this lead for 2002?  I have Sandler the only lead for Punch Drunk Love and Foster the only lead for Panic Room.

I agree about Sandler, but it's close. I could see considering Forest Whitaker as a lead in Panic Room, but if you think only Foster, I can live with that, too.

#57 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,008 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:17 AM

Leading vs. Supporting Categories in 2002 …

IMO Julianne Moore was one of three lead actresses in The Hours.  Oscar had her in the supporting category but her role was just about equal in size and importance to that of Nicole Kidman’s and Meryl Streep’s. 

Miranda Richardson is the lead actress in Spider.  If you add up all of the roles she plays she qualifies as a lead IMO. 

Alfred Molina is the lead actor in Frida.

Edie Falco is lead actress in Sunshine State.

Meryl Streep is supporting in Adaptation.

#58 skimpole

skimpole

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:59 AM

Are we having this lead for 2002?  I have Sandler the only lead for Punch Drunk Love and Foster the only lead for Panic Room.

#59 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,614 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:16 PM

I was busy prepping my lists for next week for 2002, and I was thinking that there was a lot of category confusion due to Chicago, In America, About a Boy, and The Hours. Any thoughts on how to handle it?

Chicago = Gere and Zellweger as leads, others supporting.

The Hours = Kidman, Streep and Moore leads, others supporting.

In America = Morton and Considine leads (kids too, if you list them outside of juvenile category)

Not sure about About a Boy.

• Bogie56 likes this

#60 CinemaInternational

CinemaInternational

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:10 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users