We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

The Story of Temple Drake

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,899 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:24 PM

I agree with your theory about reshoots and editing.  We are left to fill in the blanks as to her feelings about Trigger.  The film establishes Temple Drake as a sort of libertine.  She comes across as the type of woman who could feel comfortable at a boxing match with all the rough language and shady characters, i.e. gangsters at those events, as well as at an Ivy League soiree, befitting her aristocratic upbringing.  And Hopkins could play these women as well as anyone.

Love how you describe Temple Drake, and even more, what you say about Miriam Hopkins. Agree on both counts.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 cinemaspeak59

cinemaspeak59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:27 AM

Good points. My theory is they edited things and reshot some scenes to get approval from the MPAA for re-release once the code was rigorously enforced. I don't think the version we see now was the original version, as audiences first saw it. And if so, the original uncut film might have been much clearer and explicit about the nature of the rape and how it took place.

I agree with your theory about reshoots and editing.  We are left to fill in the blanks as to her feelings about Trigger.  The film establishes Temple Drake as a sort of libertine.  She comes across as the type of woman who could feel comfortable at a boxing match with all the rough language and shady characters, i.e. gangsters at those events, as well as at an Ivy League soiree, befitting her aristocratic upbringing.  And Hopkins could play these women as well as anyone.

• TopBilled likes this

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,899 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:47 AM

Temple Drake is a powerful film and Hopkins give a great performance.    As for the rape by Trigger and how they even came to the point where he brings her to that flop house;   yea,  the way the screenplay is written and the scenes directed,  makes the film very neutral as it relates to what the primary cause is.     Trigger makes it clear that she isn't being forced into anything,  but since she doesn't really respond I find what he says hard to believe.    So while later scenes makes it clear Drake was the victim, it is still difficult to determine how much of her own actions are responsible for her being a victim in the eyes of the screenwriter and director.

Good points. My theory is they edited things and reshot some scenes to get approval from the MPAA for re-release once the code was rigorously enforced. I don't think the version we see now was the original version, as audiences first saw it. And if so, the original uncut film might have been much clearer and explicit about the nature of the rape and how it took place.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,235 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:01 PM

The Story of Temple Drake is quite a powerful film.  Miriam Hopkins, early in her career, excelled at playing the high society, wealthy party girl the papers loved writing about.  Her rape by Trigger is not portrayed condemningly, as if somehow her lifestyle caused it.  Every gesture and movement by Hopkins captures the horror of what happened. Her ghost-like stare following the incident, when she's in the car with Trigger, is rather devastating.  It's an excellent performance.  The film makes quite clear Temple Drake was the victim.  I have to agree with Sister Rose Pacatte in her introduction to the picture, that Temple Drake's only crime was for being a woman.    

Temple Drake is a powerful film and Hopkins give a great performance.    As for the rape by Trigger and how they even came to the point where he brings her to that flop house;   yea,  the way the screenplay is written and the scenes directed,  makes the film very neutral as it relates to what the primary cause is.     Trigger makes it clear that she isn't being forced into anything,  but since she doesn't really respond I find what he says hard to believe.    So while later scenes makes it clear Drake was the victim, it is still difficult to determine how much of her own actions are responsible for her being a victim in the eyes of the screenwriter and director.

#5 cinemaspeak59

cinemaspeak59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:56 PM

The Story of Temple Drake is quite a powerful film.  Miriam Hopkins, early in her career, excelled at playing the high society, wealthy party girl the papers loved writing about.  Her rape by Trigger is not portrayed condemningly, as if somehow her lifestyle caused it.  Every gesture and movement by Hopkins captures the horror of what happened. Her ghost-like stare following the incident, when she's in the car with Trigger, is rather devastating.  It's an excellent performance.  The film makes quite clear Temple Drake was the victim.  I have to agree with Sister Rose Pacatte in her introduction to the picture, that Temple Drake's only crime was for being a woman.    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users