We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

"The Monte Carlo Story" 1956 Video Movie Review - De Sica & Dietrich? Ok!

The Monte Carlo Story 1956 Marlene Dietrich Vittorio De Sica

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,141 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 04:39 PM

THE MONTE CARLO STORY is airing on TCM on October 12, 2016.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,141 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:20 PM

I think the story, though not an entirely original one, played out with a great deal of charm. Despite how world-weary both characters must have been at their respective stages of life, their delight in each other's company and their very real disappointment when they realized they couldn't "save" each other was really at the heart of this film. It's admittedly an odd kind of fairy tale, but the personal charm of both leads and the breathtaking "otherworldly" setting make it a success, in my opinion.

I would agree. You have captured what makes this film stand out from others of its ilk. 

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#3 DougieB

DougieB

I Love Melvin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:32 AM

I first saw this on TCM and thought it was charming. From what you've said, it appears that the dubbing may have covered a lot of sins if De Sica really was so hung-over and underprepared (and probably sleep-deprived). It may have helped even out the problems in chemistry between the two leads, since a lot of emotion and nuance can be added by a good voice-over actor. It seems like a good thing that he didn't try to direct as well. I appreciated the passages from the biography relating to the making of the movie, but the "funny" stories spoke more to me of her frustration as a professional trying to do her best and hoping for the best in others. Her suggestions about his heavy makeup seem to have been ignored and even the director seemed powerless to help, though it appears he was sympathetic. Like a true professional, Marlene knew which battles to pick and which not to pursue.

Anyway, you basically let Marlene review the film after your introductory synopsis. What you didn't focus on or even mention, and I guess it's not really fair to expect a very young person to do so, was the late-in-life nature of their romance, something which was (and is) usually denied mature actors (and particularly actresses). In spite of the obstacles you highlighted, I think the story, though not an entirely original one, played out with a great deal of charm. Despite how world-weary both characters must have been at their respective stages of life, their delight in each other's company and their very real disappointment when they realized they couldn't "save" each other was really at the heart of this film. It's admittedly an odd kind of fairy tale, but the personal charm of both leads and the breathtaking "otherworldly" setting make it a success, in my opinion.

• rayban likes this

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces

#4 IanPatrickMovieReviews

IanPatrickMovieReviews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:39 AM

This is a visually beautiful movie that shows life in Monte Carlo in the 50s. I enjoyed it for this reason and for the most part only this reason :3 It's a story of romance and gambling and also Marlene Dietrich's only Italian made film. 

What did you think of the romance between De Sica and Dietrich? Did it work for you? Remember to leave a comment and subscribe for more reviews!

• TopBilled and rayban like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: The Monte Carlo Story, 1956, Marlene Dietrich, Vittorio De Sica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users