We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Republic's short films and cartoons

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:26 PM

Topbilled, if you want to blend this post with yours, you can and I can delete mine.

In addition to the "Jerkey Journeys", they also produced a Robert Clampett cartoon, copyrighted November 17, 1947 as It's a Grand Old Nag, starring Charlie Horse

Although you updated your list and I went ahead and deleted most of this post, I could not resist keeping this video.

This World Of Ours... good ol' Carl Dudley made many distinguished travelogues for other studios, including a feature South Sea Adventure for Cinerama as well. Seen that one... great bungee jumps in New Hebrides. Sounds like our familiar Art Gilmore (i.e. Joe McDoakes and Warner travelogues) here...

• TopBilled likes this

#2 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,673 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:38 AM

I didn't see a thread on this particular studio. So I thought I'd post some lists about the short subject films Republic Pictures made.

Short films:

MEET THE STARS-- ART IN HOLLYWOOD (variety)

March 5, 1940

Directed and produced by Louella Parsons' daughter Harriet Parsons. 20 mins. B&W.

MEET THE STARS-- COWBOY JUBILEE (variety)

June 7, 1940

With John Wayne and Gene Autry. Directed and produced by Harriet Parsons. 20 mins. B&W.

MEET THE STARS-- CHINESE GARDEN FESTIVAL (variety)

December 24, 1940

With Dolores Del Rio, John Garfield, Beulah Bondi and Rita Hayworth, among others. Directed and produced by Harriet Parsons. 20 mins. B&W.

MEET THE STARS-- WAMPAS BABY STARS (variety)

January 5, 1941

With Joan Blondell and Dolores Del Rio, among others. Directed and produced by Harriet Parsons. 20 mins. B&W.

MEET THE STARS-- VARIETY REEL (variety)

February 21, 1941

With Edward Arnold, Mary Astor, Binnie Barnes and Donald Crisp, among others. Directed and produced by Harriet Parsons. 20 mins. B&W.

MEET THE STARS-- LOS ANGELES EXAMINER BENEFIT (variety)

March 24, 1941

With Bud Abbott, Lou Costello, the Andrews Sisters and Milton Berle, among others. Produced by Harriet Parsons. 20 mins. B&W.

MEET THE STARS-- HOLLYWOOD VISITS THE NAVY (variety)

April 24, 1941

With Richard Barthelmess, Henry Fonda, Carole Landis and Carmen Miranda, among others. Directed and produced by Harriet Parsons. 20 mins. B&W.

MEET THE STARS-- STARS AT PLAY (variety)

May 24, 1941

With Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz, Gene Autry, Bing Crosby and Joe E. Brown, among others. Directed and produced by Harriet Parsons. 20 mins. B&W.

MEET THE STARS-- MEET ROY ROGERS (variety)

June 24, 1941

Roy Rogers with Gene Autry, Gabby Hayes and Judy Canova, among others. Directed and produced by Harriet Parsons. 20 mins. B&W.

MEET THE STARS-- STARS PAST AND PRESENT (variety)

July 24, 1941

With Richard Bennett, Chester Conklin, Edgar Kennedy, Mary Martin and Cesar Romero, among others. Directed and produced by Harriet Parsons. 20 mins. B&W.

HENRY BROWNE, FARMER (documentary)

December 2, 1942; previewed November 15, 1942

Film shows the part American negroes play in the war. Narrated by Canada Lee. Oscar nominee. 11 mins. B&W.

LAND OF OPPORTUNITY-- THE AMERICAN RODEO (travelogue)

November 8, 1949

Featuring western actor Allan Lane, narrated by Gerald Courtemarsh. 9 mins. B&W.

LAND OF OPPORTUNITY-- THE SPONGE DIVER (travelogue)

December 14, 1949

Featuring Robert Rockwell and Billy Gray. 9 mins. B&W.

LAND OF OPPORTUNITY-- TILLERS OF THE SOIL (travelogue)

January 19, 1950

Featuring Will Wright. 9 mins. B&W.

LAND OF OPPORTUNITY-- THE MARDI GRAS (travelogue)

February 24, 1950

Featuring Selmer Jackson and Anna May Slaughter. 9 mins. B&W.

THE BATTLE FOR KOREA (war documentary)

July 1, 1950

About the escalating conflict in Korea. 9 mins. B&W.

FIGHTS-- ROBINSON VS. TURPIN (sports)

June 20, 1951

About the fight between Sugar Ray Robinson and Randy Turpin on June 10. Turpin won by a decision in 15 rounds. B&W.

MIRACLE IN MOTION (charity)

For the United Cerebral Palsy Foundation, narrated by John Wayne. 3 mins. B&W.

FIGHTS-- MARCIANO VS. LA STARZA (sports)

September 28, 1953 (sports)

About the fight between Rocky Marciano and Roland La Starza on September 24, where Marciano won by a TKO in 11 rounds. Narrated by Bill Corum. B&W.

THIS WORLD OF OURS (travelogue)

A travel series that Carl Dudley produced for Republic in the 1950s. All segments were 9 minutes in length and presented in Trucolor. Subjects included:

1950-- Norway (3/15), Denmark (6/1), Glacier Nat'l Park (7/15), Sweden (8/30), France (10/15), Holland (11/30)

1951-- London (1/15), Portugal (2/15), Spain (3/15), England (4/15), Hawaii (5/15), Greece (6/15), Belgium (7/15), Switzerland (9/1), Italy (11/1), Egypt (12/15)

1952-- Puerto Rico (1/15), Chile (3/1), Israel (5/20), India (7/1), The Philippines (8/11)

1953-- Ceylon (3/1), Washington City of Destiny (3/10), Singapore (6/1), German (8/1), Japan (10/1)

1954-- Hong Kong (1/15), Formosa (5/10), Ireland (8/1), Thailand (12/1), Bali (12/15

1955-- Venezuela (3/1), Caribbean Sky Cruise (4/1), Turkey (5/1)

Trucolor Specials

These were directed by Sloan Nibley and narrated by Hans Conried. Republic produced them in 1956, and they were both 9 minutes in length:

Miracle in Venezuela (9/1) and Carnival in Munich (10/1).

Cartoons:

JERKY JOURNEYS-- BEYOND CIVILIZATION TO TEXAS (children's film)

March 15, 1949

Narrated by Kenny Delmar. 7 mins. Trucolor.

JERKY JOURNEYS-- THE 3 MINNIES: SOTA, TONKA & HA HA! (children's film)

April 15, 1949

Narrated by Frank Nelson. 7 mins. Trucolor.

JERKY JOURNEYS-- BUNGLE IN THE JUNGLE (children's film)

May 15, 1949

JERKY JOURNEYS-- ROMANTIC RUMBOLIA (children's film)

June 15, 1949

• Jlewis likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users