We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Classic Films with a Gay Twist

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:30 PM

TCM did air it before. I watched some of it at the time, but it was late in the evening. They were doing African dramas. Gorillas In The Mist was also shown about that time.

• jaragon and rayban like this

#2 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:41 PM

Yes, I do believe that Sir Richard Burton was a bisexual man.

Burton was an adventurer - he was married but obviously enjoyed the company of men-  'Mountains of the Moon" which really should be better known- ( TCM should run it)

• rayban likes this

#3 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:31 AM

I saw this in the theater and was pretty surprised by the scene. This was two years before the ground breaking The Crying Game and some of us lived in an EXTREMELY homophobic environment.

Wonderful thing about the 19th Victorian century though. Nobody discussed what happened behind closed doors, not even heterosexual married couples blessed by a priest. When you read a lot of literature and poetry of the times, it wasn't just Walt Whitman discussing "brotherly love". During the Civil War and other bloody conflicts, in addition to treks through African wilderness, women just weren't available and it is unlikely every man stayed abstinent until he got back to Melanie Wilkes.

I have read up a bit on Burton. Oh... he had no shame to his game. I am sure he did more than most 19th century men. Also had plenty of opportunity without others watching.

Yes, I do believe that Sir Richard Burton was a bisexual man.

• jaragon likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#4 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:46 AM

I saw this in the theater and was pretty surprised by the scene. This was two years before the ground breaking The Crying Game and some of us lived in an EXTREMELY homophobic environment.

Wonderful thing about the 19th Victorian century though. Nobody discussed what happened behind closed doors, not even heterosexual married couples blessed by a priest. When you read a lot of literature and poetry of the times, it wasn't just Walt Whitman discussing "brotherly love". During the Civil War and other bloody conflicts, in addition to treks through African wilderness, women just weren't available and it is unlikely every man stayed abstinent until he got back to Melanie Wilkes.

I have read up a bit on Burton. Oh... he had no shame to his game. I am sure he did more than most 19th century men. Also had plenty of opportunity without others watching.

• jaragon and rayban like this

#5 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:08 PM

Richard Francis Burton was very interested in sexuality- during his time in the army he went undercover at a male brothel  and in his travels he would even measure the endowment of the native men.( for research purposes of course).    There is not actual proof that he was gay or bi but it sounds to me that a man as daring as Burton   would have gone beyond a single kiss with his fellow explorer Speake

Yes, "Mountains of the Moon" is a fascinating film by Bob Rafeson, because so much of it does seem to be "buried".

I do wish that it were a better-known film.

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#6 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 06:22 PM

As I remember it, a sexual tension did exist between John Hanning Speke (Ian Glen) and Sir Richard Burton (Patrick Bergin).

Also, Speke's friend (Richard H. Grant) might have been his lover.

182172_full.jpg

Richard Francis Burton was very interested in sexuality- during his time in the army he went undercover at a male brothel  and in his travels he would even measure the endowment of the native men.( for research purposes of course).    There is not actual proof that he was gay or bi but it sounds to me that a man as daring as Burton   would have gone beyond a single kiss with his fellow explorer Speake

• Jlewis likes this

#7 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:13 PM

As I remember it, a sexual tension did exist between John Hanning Speke (Ian Glen) and Sir Richard Burton (Patrick Bergin).

182172_full.jpg

The film is very tame except for that fever induced kiss

• rayban likes this

#8 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:28 AM

"Mountains of the Moon" (1990) based on a true story about Burton and Speke's search for the source of the Nile- there is one hot gay kisshttps://youtu.be/Vt7Bgp-ORds

182172_full.jpg

• Jlewis and jaragon like this

#9 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:01 PM

"Mountains of the Moon" (1990) based on a true story about Burton and Speke's search for the source of the Nile- there is one hot gay kisshttps://youtu.be/Vt7Bgp-ORds

• rayban likes this

#10 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:16 AM

Having Wonderful Time (1938)

A bored city boy (Cary Grant) goes on vacation to the Catskill Mountains and falls in love with a waiter (Douglas Fairbanks Jr.).

• jaragon, rayban and jinsinna13 like this

"Believe in what your heart is saying. Hear the melody that's playing. There's no time to waste. There's so much to celebrate. Believe in what you feel inside. And give your dreams the wings to fly. You have everything you need. If you just believe." Josh Groban- "Believe"

#11 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:27 AM

"Picnic" (1956) A handsome young drifter (Paul Newman) stirs  homosexual desires in the men of a small town.

• rayban likes this

#12 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:23 AM

September Affair (1950)

A photographer (Joseph Cotten) and a lawyer (Gregory Peck) fall in love while on vacation and live their new lives together while presumed dead in a plane crash.

"Believe in what your heart is saying. Hear the melody that's playing. There's no time to waste. There's so much to celebrate. Believe in what you feel inside. And give your dreams the wings to fly. You have everything you need. If you just believe." Josh Groban- "Believe"

#13 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:20 AM

The Angel Wore Red (1960)

A nun (Gloria DeHaven) leaves the seminary due to her homosexuality and falls in love with an entertainer (Ava Gardner).

• rayban and jinsinna13 like this

#14 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:56 PM

Springtime in the Rockies (1942)

Dance partners Betty (Betty Grable) and Dan (Tyrone Power) split up due to his "flirtatious behavior". Betty, who still loves Dan, follows Dan to the Rockies- only to find out Dan is a closeted homosexual with a male lover (Cesar Romero, Power's real life boyfriend).

#15 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 06:03 PM

In a revealing interview with Boze Hadleigh, Cesar Romero admitted to his love affair with Tyrone Power.

Just from looking at their photos together they were obviously more than just a bromance.

#16 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:42 AM

Ty and Caesar took an around the world flight who knows what they were up to...?  I wish Romero had written an honest biography but he was too old school to reveal all.  Love the suggestion of the final line herehttps://youtu.be/1IQceNsGziU

Is he suggesting that he will go gay for pay with Payne for right price?  ;)

In a revealing interview with Boze Hadleigh, Cesar Romero admitted to his love affair with Tyrone Power.

• jaragon and jinsinna13 like this

#17 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:13 AM

Yes! :)

What about Tyrone Power and Cesar Romero? Would they have made a hot movie couple? It's common knowledge now they were a real life couple.

Ty and Caesar took an around the world flight who knows what they were up to...?  I wish Romero had written an honest biography but he was too old school to reveal all.  Love the suggestion of the final line herehttps://youtu.be/1IQceNsGziU

Is he suggesting that he will go gay for pay with Payne for right price?  ;)

• rayban likes this

#18 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:05 AM

Payne and Romero would have made a hot movie couple

Yes! :)

What about Tyrone Power and Cesar Romero? Would they have made a hot movie couple? It's common knowledge now they were a real life couple.

#19 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:59 AM

Week-End in Havana (1941)

John Spencer (Franchot Tone) is accompanied by Jay Williams (John Payne) on his vacation to Havana. John eventually falls in love with Monte Blanca (Cesar Romero), but Monte has to keep his jealous boyfriend (Tyrone Power, Romero's real life boyfriend) away.

Payne and Romero would have made a hot movie couple

#20 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:11 AM

Week-End in Havana (1941)

John Spencer (Franchot Tone) is accompanied by Jay Williams (John Payne) on his vacation to Havana. John eventually falls in love with Monte Blanca (Cesar Romero), but Monte has to keep his jealous boyfriend (Tyrone Power, Romero's real life boyfriend) away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users