We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Classic Films with a Gay Twist

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#1 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:42 PM

"Butterflies are Free" (1972)

Don ( Edward Albert) moves into his own apartment against the wishers of his over protective mother and falls in love with is free thinking next door neighbor ( Jan Michael Vincent)

• rayban likes this

#2 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:13 AM

Elizabethtown (2005)

A young man (Orlando Bloom) returns to his childhood home after the death of his father and meets a gay manic pixie dream boy (Matt Bomer) who urges him to come out of his shell.

• jaragon and rayban like this

"Believe in what your heart is saying. Hear the melody that's playing. There's no time to waste. There's so much to celebrate. Believe in what you feel inside. And give your dreams the wings to fly. You have everything you need. If you just believe."  Josh Groban- "Believe"

#3 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:15 AM

My Boss's Son (2003)

Tom Stansfield (Ashton Kutcher) falls in love with his boss's (Terrence Stamp) son (Christopher Masterson), Logan.

• rayban and jinsinna13 like this

"Believe in what your heart is saying. Hear the melody that's playing. There's no time to waste. There's so much to celebrate. Believe in what you feel inside. And give your dreams the wings to fly. You have everything you need. If you just believe."  Josh Groban- "Believe"

#4 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 10:16 AM

"The Haunting" (1963) Dr Markway ( Richard Johnson) and Luke Sanderson ( Russ Tamblyn) fall in love while investigating the paranormal activity at haunted mansion.  

#5 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:08 AM

" I Spit on your Grave" (1978) A young gay man who is left for dead after an attack by gang seeks revenge on the homophobic thugs.

• rayban likes this

#6 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:23 PM

"The Time Machine" (1960) George ( Rod Taylor) uses his new invention to explored  the future were he falls in love with an Eloi ( Richard Chamberlain) but will his BFF David (Alan Young) approve?

#7 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:49 PM

"Vertigo" (1958)  Scottie Ferguson ( James Steweart) a man with a extreme fear of heights becomes obsessed with Mark Elster ( Tab Hunter) a mysterious young man he has been hired to follow.

• rayban likes this

#8 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:12 AM

Fresh Horses (1988)

A college student (Andrew McCarthy) falls in love with a mysterious boy (Rob Lowe), and his life falls apart.

• jaragon and jinsinna13 like this

#9 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:08 AM

Say Anything (1989)

A recent high school graduate (John Cusack) falls in love with the valedictorian (Andrew McCarthy).

#10 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:21 PM

"The Getaway" (1972) Doc McCoy ( Steve McQueen) an ex con and his partner/lover Carl ( Ryan O'neal)  go on the run after a bank robbery goes wrong.

• rayban likes this

#11 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:23 AM

Love With The Proper Stranger (1963)

Darling Products owner Jim Darling (Robert Vaughn) has a one-night stand with musician Rocky Papasano (Steve McQueen) while Jim is in town. Jim later returns to the town, and Rocky does everything he can to win Jim over.

#12 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:39 PM

"Body Heat " (1981) Ned Racine ( William Hurt) a small town lawyer is seduced kept boy Matt ( Richard Gere) into a plot to kill his wealthy sugar daddy Edmund ( Richard Crenna)

• rayban likes this

#13 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:07 PM

The Outsiders (1983)

Greaser Phoebe Curtis (Phoebe Cates) from the poor side of town falls in love with Soc Cherry Valance (Diane Lane).

#14 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 01:48 PM

One More Train To Rob (1971)

A middle aged bisexual train robber (George Peppard) must get back at his ex-boyfriend (Roger Moore) for double crossing him in a train heist gone wrong and for stealing his girlfriend (Mary Tyler Moore).

#15 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:07 PM

A gay twist on a classic "Sound of Music" numberhttps://youtu.be/aQE2ycuoyM0

• Jlewis and rayban like this

#16 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:09 PM

Minelli could only suggest Bill Reynold's "homosexuality" which the obvious reason he keeps going on those camping trips with the students.  If the film were remade today it would have to be set in the 1950's

The play was revived a few years ago in an Off-Broadway production.

Unfortunately, I did not see that production.

But it was well-received by the critics.

It had a limited run, though.

• jaragon likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#17 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:51 PM

The film version of "Tea and Sympathy", far inferior to the original play, seems to be about Tom Lee's homosexuality, but, as it turns out, Tom Lee is not gay, goes to bed with his headmaster's wife and even gets married.

In the famous play and equally famous Broadway production, the material seems to be about Tom Lee's homosexuality, but, as it turns out, it is about his headmaster's, Bill Reynolds' homosexuality.

The film can "talk" about Tom Lee's homosexuality, because, as it turns out, he is not gay?

But it can't even include Bill Reynolds' homosexuality, because, as it turns out, he is gay?

The film needs to be re-made.

It needs to be faithful to the original.

The original Broadway cast headlined Deborah Kerr and John Kerr, who went on to star in the film.

On Broadway, their replacements were Joan Fontaine and Anthony Perkins.

Minelli could only suggest Bill Reynold's "homosexuality" which the obvious reason he keeps going on those camping trips with the students.  If the film were remade today it would have to be set in the 1950's

• rayban likes this

#18 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:33 AM

The film version of "Tea and Sympathy", far inferior to the original play, seems to be about Tom Lee's homosexuality, but, as it turns out, Tom Lee is not gay, goes to bed with his headmaster's wife and even gets married.

In the famous play and equally famous Broadway production, the material seems to be about Tom Lee's homosexuality, but, as it turns out, it is about his headmaster's, Bill Reynolds' homosexuality.

The film can "talk" about Tom Lee's homosexuality, because, as it turns out, he is not gay?

But it can't even include Bill Reynolds' homosexuality, because, as it turns out, he is gay?

The film needs to be re-made.

It needs to be faithful to the original.

The original Broadway cast headlined Deborah Kerr and John Kerr, who went on to star in the film.

On Broadway, their replacements were Joan Fontaine and Anthony Perkins.

• jaragon likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#19 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:20 AM

Passengers (2016)

A passenger and former glamour model (Danielle Lloyd) wakes up many years too early and wakes up a fellow passenger and writer (Jennifer Lawrence) due to lack of female companionship.

#20 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:53 AM

Our Man Flint (1966)

Derek Flint (James Coburn) comes out of retirement to stop three mad scientists from controlling the world with a weather-control machine. Flint must also maintain his relationships with his live-in male lovers (Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, George Peppard, Robert Vaughn).

Talk about all star ****!

• jinsinna13 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users