We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Classic Films with a Gay Twist

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#1 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:21 PM

"The Getaway" (1972) Doc McCoy ( Steve McQueen) an ex con and his partner/lover Carl ( Ryan O'neal)  go on the run after a bank robbery goes wrong.

• rayban likes this

#2 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:23 AM

Love With The Proper Stranger (1963)

Darling Products owner Jim Darling (Robert Vaughn) has a one-night stand with musician Rocky Papasano (Steve McQueen) while Jim is in town. Jim later returns to the town, and Rocky does everything he can to win Jim over.

• jaragon and jinsinna13 like this

"Believe in what your heart is saying. Hear the melody that's playing. There's no time to waste. There's so much to celebrate. Believe in what you feel inside. And give your dreams the wings to fly. You have everything you need. If you just believe."  Josh Groban- "Believe"

#3 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:39 PM

"Body Heat " (1981) Ned Racine ( William Hurt) a small town lawyer is seduced kept boy Matt ( Richard Gere) into a plot to kill his wealthy sugar daddy Edmund ( Richard Crenna)

• rayban likes this

#4 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:07 PM

The Outsiders (1983)

Greaser Phoebe Curtis (Phoebe Cates) from the poor side of town falls in love with Soc Cherry Valance (Diane Lane).

• rayban and jinsinna13 like this

"Believe in what your heart is saying. Hear the melody that's playing. There's no time to waste. There's so much to celebrate. Believe in what you feel inside. And give your dreams the wings to fly. You have everything you need. If you just believe."  Josh Groban- "Believe"

#5 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 01:48 PM

One More Train To Rob (1971)

A middle aged bisexual train robber (George Peppard) must get back at his ex-boyfriend (Roger Moore) for double crossing him in a train heist gone wrong and for stealing his girlfriend (Mary Tyler Moore).

#6 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:07 PM

A gay twist on a classic "Sound of Music" numberhttps://youtu.be/aQE2ycuoyM0

• Jlewis and rayban like this

#7 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:09 PM

Minelli could only suggest Bill Reynold's "homosexuality" which the obvious reason he keeps going on those camping trips with the students.  If the film were remade today it would have to be set in the 1950's

The play was revived a few years ago in an Off-Broadway production.

Unfortunately, I did not see that production.

But it was well-received by the critics.

It had a limited run, though.

• jaragon likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#8 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:51 PM

The film version of "Tea and Sympathy", far inferior to the original play, seems to be about Tom Lee's homosexuality, but, as it turns out, Tom Lee is not gay, goes to bed with his headmaster's wife and even gets married.

In the famous play and equally famous Broadway production, the material seems to be about Tom Lee's homosexuality, but, as it turns out, it is about his headmaster's, Bill Reynolds' homosexuality.

The film can "talk" about Tom Lee's homosexuality, because, as it turns out, he is not gay?

But it can't even include Bill Reynolds' homosexuality, because, as it turns out, he is gay?

The film needs to be re-made.

It needs to be faithful to the original.

The original Broadway cast headlined Deborah Kerr and John Kerr, who went on to star in the film.

On Broadway, their replacements were Joan Fontaine and Anthony Perkins.

Minelli could only suggest Bill Reynold's "homosexuality" which the obvious reason he keeps going on those camping trips with the students.  If the film were remade today it would have to be set in the 1950's

• rayban likes this

#9 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:33 AM

The film version of "Tea and Sympathy", far inferior to the original play, seems to be about Tom Lee's homosexuality, but, as it turns out, Tom Lee is not gay, goes to bed with his headmaster's wife and even gets married.

In the famous play and equally famous Broadway production, the material seems to be about Tom Lee's homosexuality, but, as it turns out, it is about his headmaster's, Bill Reynolds' homosexuality.

The film can "talk" about Tom Lee's homosexuality, because, as it turns out, he is not gay?

But it can't even include Bill Reynolds' homosexuality, because, as it turns out, he is gay?

The film needs to be re-made.

It needs to be faithful to the original.

The original Broadway cast headlined Deborah Kerr and John Kerr, who went on to star in the film.

On Broadway, their replacements were Joan Fontaine and Anthony Perkins.

• jaragon likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#10 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:20 AM

Passengers (2016)

A passenger and former glamour model (Danielle Lloyd) wakes up many years too early and wakes up a fellow passenger and writer (Jennifer Lawrence) due to lack of female companionship.

#11 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:53 AM

Our Man Flint (1966)

Derek Flint (James Coburn) comes out of retirement to stop three mad scientists from controlling the world with a weather-control machine. Flint must also maintain his relationships with his live-in male lovers (Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, George Peppard, Robert Vaughn).

Talk about all star ****!

• jinsinna13 likes this

#12 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:47 AM

Our Man Flint (1966)

Derek Flint (James Coburn) comes out of retirement to stop three mad scientists from controlling the world with a weather-control machine. Flint must also maintain his relationships with his live-in male lovers (Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, George Peppard, Robert Vaughn).

#13 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:43 PM

The Richmond Dispatch  reported on May 13, 1862 that since moving the Confederacy's  capitol to Richmond that "loose males of most abandoned character from other part's of the Confederacy " had moved to Richmond and "prostitutes of both sexes " openly displaying themselves in carriages and the sidewalks" .

In 1864 a ball was put on by a Massachusetts regiment stationed in Virginia featuring young drummer boys dressed as women (?!)

#14 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:24 PM

Gee, the Mitchell "estate" needed to keep up with the times.

I remember Kenneth Anger's Hollywood Babylon books suggested that Tallulah Bankhead and Hattie MacDaniel were an item for a time.

• rayban likes this

#15 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:12 PM

I tend to view GWTW more of a lesbian chick flick though. Note how the women must all take a nap at the Wilkes barbecue while the men-folk talk war and politics over brandy. (Liz Taylor in Giant would not stand for that!) Although they are still in their undergarments, they bundle together on the same beds.

I also love it when Rhett must sway the authorities from knowing that the guys didn't go to a triple K meeting. (Selznick's writers took that reference out of the book for the movie by making it a revenge type of thing "as gentlemen" for Scarlet being man-handled when driving her carriage alone in the woods, but posing as a "political meeting".) Instead, he insists they spent the night at Belle Watling's place. Of course, the ladies all appear "shocked", but they are still fascinated. After all, Belle does it with... men! For pleasure! Fiddle-dee-dee. Like marriage... "fun for men" only. Doc Meade's wife demands more information about the chandeliers and other gobknobs in Belle's place (a.k.a. the sex toys) until he reminds her to get a hold of her self.

I am surprised Scarlet's sister isn't upset that Dear Mister Kennedy is dead on Decatur Road and Scarlet is again a widow.

And what is wrong with Butterfly McQueen being... Prissy? Aunt Hamilton, Aunt Pitty Pat and all of the other "Aunts" certainly did not lose any men in the war. They survived quite well without them.

Everything that is "shocking" involves heterosexual behavior, probably because it was only accepted in order to produce little Beau Wilkes and Little Bonnie Blue Butlers. (Funny how blue is often considered a boy's color these days but not back then.) Who cares if Emily Slattery, the white trash gal, hooked up with the overseer Jonas Wilkerson (later carpetbagger for the post-war Yankees)? Note too how Scarlet wants no more sex with Rhett, despite Mammy suggesting he will want a son next. Since she and Ashley never did anything "shocking" (except talking at the lumber mill), it is obvious that HE wasn't the reason Rhett had to force her up the stairs. It was always Melanie! Melanie! Melanie!

Remember when Melanie was giving birth to Beau and Scarlet was helping her ("yell... nobody will hear you") all in silhouette in the golden indoor light? That is how every sex scene has been done in movies ever since. They just left out the kissing!

The Civil War probably forced many heterosexuals to swing the other way due to shortages involving the opposite gender and a need to get stuff out of their systems.

I agree with you that it's female driven movie- and I really don't get Scarletts' whining over Ashley who seem dull.   I was wondering about homosexuality during this period- will have to do research on that-  I know that when one of the sequel novels was being written- the Mitchel state insisted there would be no homosexuality in the book.

#16 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:00 AM

I tend to view GWTW more of a lesbian chick flick though. Note how the women must all take a nap at the Wilkes barbecue while the men-folk talk war and politics over brandy. (Liz Taylor in Giant would not stand for that!) Although they are still in their undergarments, they bundle together on the same beds.

I also love it when Rhett must sway the authorities from knowing that the guys didn't go to a triple K meeting. (Selznick's writers took that reference out of the book for the movie by making it a revenge type of thing "as gentlemen" for Scarlet being man-handled when driving her carriage alone in the woods, but posing as a "political meeting".) Instead, he insists they spent the night at Belle Watling's place. Of course, the ladies all appear "shocked", but they are still fascinated. After all, Belle does it with... men! For pleasure! Fiddle-dee-dee. Like marriage... "fun for men" only. Doc Meade's wife demands more information about the chandeliers and other gobknobs in Belle's place (a.k.a. the sex toys) until he reminds her to get a hold of her self.

I am surprised Scarlet's sister isn't upset that Dear Mister Kennedy is dead on Decatur Road and Scarlet is again a widow.

And what is wrong with Butterfly McQueen being... Prissy? Aunt Hamilton, Aunt Pitty Pat and all of the other "Aunts" certainly did not lose any men in the war. They survived quite well without them.

Everything that is "shocking" involves heterosexual behavior, probably because it was only accepted in order to produce little Beau Wilkes and Little Bonnie Blue Butlers. (Funny how blue is often considered a boy's color these days but not back then.) Who cares if Emily Slattery, the white trash gal, hooked up with the overseer Jonas Wilkerson (later carpetbagger for the post-war Yankees)? Note too how Scarlet wants no more sex with Rhett, despite Mammy suggesting he will want a son next. Since she and Ashley never did anything "shocking" (except talking at the lumber mill), it is obvious that HE wasn't the reason Rhett had to force her up the stairs. It was always Melanie! Melanie! Melanie!

Remember when Melanie was giving birth to Beau and Scarlet was helping her ("yell... nobody will hear you") all in silhouette in the golden indoor light? That is how every sex scene has been done in movies ever since. They just left out the kissing!

The Civil War probably forced many heterosexuals to swing the other way due to shortages involving the opposite gender and a need to get stuff out of their systems.

• jaragon and rayban like this

#17 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:32 PM

" Gone with the Wind" (1939)  at the end of the film after Rhett (Clark Gable) has spoken his final line to Scarlett we see him getting into a carriage with a handsome young man ( Robert Taylor), they kiss and drive off together ( I'm sure George Cukor would have approved)

• Jlewis, rayban and VivLeighFan like this

#18 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:18 PM

Now... any movie with those two in cahoots would certainly do better business than that ol' Heath and Jake flick. Think of all of the straight ladies eager just to see the two semi-naked in the same shots regardless of whom they are focused on.

OK... here is another one we can try. Scarlet O'Hara is in love with Melanie instead of Ashley Wilkes in Gone With the Wind. She marries three MEN she is not in love with, although... fiddle-dee-dee... Rhett tries his best with her. When Ashley finally croaks, Rhett decides to leave her because she now has Melanie all to herself.

Key scene: after Scarlet shoots the Yankee soldier, she uses Melanie's nightie to mop up the blood. Then they make love...

Hmm interesting... yes Mr Gosling and Mr Efron would make a hot and profitable movie couple

• rayban likes this

#19 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:42 PM

"La La Land" (2016) A jazz musician ( Ryan Gosling) falls in love with an actor ( Zac Efrom) as they struggle for success in Hollywood.

Now... any movie with those two in cahoots would certainly do better business than that ol' Heath and Jake flick. Think of all of the straight ladies eager just to see the two semi-naked in the same shots regardless of whom they are focused on.

OK... here is another one we can try. Scarlet O'Hara is in love with Melanie instead of Ashley Wilkes in Gone With the Wind. She marries three MEN she is not in love with, although... fiddle-dee-dee... Rhett tries his best with her. When Ashley finally croaks, Rhett decides to leave her because she now has Melanie all to herself.

Key scene: after Scarlet shoots the Yankee soldier, she uses Melanie's nightie to mop up the blood. Then they make love...

• jaragon likes this

#20 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:23 PM

"La La Land" (2016) A jazz musician ( Ryan Gosling) falls in love with an actor ( Zac Efrom) as they struggle for success in Hollywood.

• Jlewis, rayban and jinsinna13 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users