We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Classic Films with a Gay Twist

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#141 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:24 PM

"The Moon Is Blue" - the young female virgin would be re-invented as a young male virgin - and he would be pursued by two gay men - one who is slightly older and very smitten and one who is much older and clearly in heat - this one could be a very funny movie, I think.

• jaragon likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#142 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 01:00 PM

" Back Street" ( 1961) could be shot with the same script just change the Sussan Heyward character to a man- ( Anthony Perkins perhaps?) The story would still be about a forbidden romance -you would need some tweaking- the wedding dress scene would have to be changed unless you wanted to make it a comedy.

#143 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,446 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:34 PM

A while back someone ( whose true identity must remain a secret) started a board riot when he dared suggest that Marty could not find a girlfriend to get married because perhaps he was actually gay ?! ( oh no!!! gasp !!the horror!!)  so what other classic movies could work if the main characters were re-written as gay...?

Gilda has been mentioned in this light and I think a remake where the Ford character is gay would really work and be more interesting.   Gilda and the young gay man have a history that goes back to their teens but their bond was that between a young women and a young gay man.   They become very protective of each other.   Years later he finds out she is married to an evil man.   Many of the actions he takes in the film Gilda could remain but instead of sexual jealousy between the two younger folks being the motive it is about protecting her as well as the fact that the evil man is bisexual and had an affair with the young man.   In Gilda the Ford character is really bitter and he could still be here but for different reasons.    

• jaragon likes this

#144 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:54 AM

A while back someone ( whose true identity must remain a secret) started a board riot when he dared suggest that Marty could not find a girlfriend to get married because perhaps he was actually gay ?! ( oh no!!! gasp !!the horror!!)  so what other classic movies could work if the main characters were re-written as gay...?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users