We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Why is Robert Ryan SotM again so soon?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HelenBaby2

HelenBaby2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:00 PM

I think the reason that Ryan was made Star of the Month was because TCM had been getting a lot of requests for About Mrs. Leslie and May was the first Month they were going to be able to show it.

#2 GregoryPeckfan

GregoryPeckfan

Movie Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts
  • LocationCanada - where we have free press

Posted 17 April 2016 - 09:49 AM

I would love to see Robert Young as Star of the Month.

In this particular instance, Robert Ryan Star of the Month happens on  Fridays  in May and he made a lot of war films.  In this way, TCM is able to combine Ryan as Star of the Month with their memorial Day weekend programming of  war movies.

Welcome to the boards.

• TopBilled likes this
Peter Fonda and Gregory Peck are my heroes.

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,624 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 04:10 PM

Seems like he just had a tribute within the last year or so. Why not somebody like Robert Young who was honored back at the beginning of TCM and not recently?  No, he never was nominated for an Academy award but was in a handful of nominated films. Just because his bigger success came later with television there's no reason to ignore the nearly 100 films he made.

Welcome to our community. I agree that Robert Young would also be a fine choice. Let's hope the programmers are reading your comments.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 missrhea

missrhea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 03:40 PM

Seems like he just had a tribute within the last year or so. Why not somebody like Robert Young who was honored back at the beginning of TCM and not recently?  No, he never was nominated for an Academy award but was in a handful of nominated films. Just because his bigger success came later with television there's no reason to ignore the nearly 100 films he made.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users