We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

In Like Jim: James Coburn

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:23 PM

For you James Coburn fans who receive HDNet Movies, Duck, You Sucker! (1971) is being shown again on the 26th and the 29th of this month. Highly recommended.

#2 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,247 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:22 PM

The President's Analyst is great...one of Coburn's best.

• darkblue likes this

#3 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:14 PM

Definitely would be interested in more movies from Coburn.  I have about 2/3 of Lawrence's favorites list.  Can't believe I don't have In Like Flint.  Other stuff that looks like it might be interesting to me:

The Internecine Project (1974) [NS]

The President's Analyst (1967) [LS=2009]

Looker (1981) [NS]

Dead Heat On  A Merry-Go-Round (1966) [LS=2013]

What Did You Do In The War, Daddy? (1966) [LS=2009]
I can't vouch for any of these because I haven't seen any of them yet, but I suspect he makes them entertaining.

#4 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 08:18 PM

This is James Coburn in The Muppet Movie.

vlcsnap-2009-12-12-04h18m29s174.png

#5 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 08:10 PM

I have regrettably only see him in The Muppet Movie. Still a decent appearance.

James Coburn-Frogs have warts.

Kermit the Frog: No. That's a myth.

J.C.-A what?

K.T.F.-A myth! A myth!

Carol Kane-Yes?

P.S.: This is actually Telly Savales.

#6 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:13 PM

I am not missing this one this time!

If you can get past the laughably amateurish acting of Jennifer O'Neill in it, it's not so bad. Man, is she awful though.

I may live badly but at least I don't have to work to do it.

#7 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:08 PM

James Coburn is definitely one of my favorites. And I was bummed that circumstances kept me from rewatching The Carey Treatment (1972) when it was on TCM recently.

I am not missing this one this time!

#8 TheGayDivorcee

TheGayDivorcee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationThe Golden State

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:15 AM

You'd probably love him in 'Waterhole #3'. Sexiest role for him ever - he had my girlfriend actually moaning in the theatre as he was kissing Maggie Blye's nape.

Must look for this movie!

A little friend and I saw Our Man Flint at the movies and found his appearance almost comical.  I remember giggling between bites of our bonbons, though come to think of it that may well have been giddy, nervous laughter.    He had a sure, easy way with women that some (many?) of us find appealing, and he also seemed like a real man's man.   And what a wonderfully expressive face.  His sense of humor came through in every role, and a canniness.  He was special.  ​ The Last of Sheila is my favorite because of my love of that smart, witty film and its great ensemble cast.

• kingrat likes this

It's a hard world for little things.

#9 faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • LocationAlphaville

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:31 PM

James Coburn is definitely one of my favorites. And I was bummed that circumstances kept me from rewatching The Carey Treatment (1972) when it was on TCM recently.

At the risk of being put on "Ignore" by my fellow poster, JakeHolman, James Coburn epitomized 1960s cool to me more than Steve McQueen did. That may be because I saw Our Man Flint (1966) and In Like Flint (1967) at an early impressionable age. Or it may be because Mr. Coburn always seemed like he was having more fun in his movies than Mr. McQueen did in his.

A few more of Mr. Coburn's movies that I enjoyed that are not yet mentioned in this thread:

Harry in Your Pocket (1973)
Bite The Bullet (1975) w/ Gene Hackman
Cross of Iron (1977) w/ Maximilian Schell and James Mason

And, for those of you who receive Grit TV, Major Dundee (1965) is being shown on the 10th, the 12th, the 17th, the 28th and the 30th of this month.

HARRY IN YOUR POCKET shows Coburn in a very unusual role; and as always, he plays it to perfection.

#10 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:27 PM

Must admit, I love Coburn's face-what a cutie.

On the other hand, you may find his character in Major Dundee (1965) to have a bit too much coverage for your liking...

3314-11893.jpg

#11 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:14 PM

You'd probably love him in 'Waterhole #3'. Sexiest role for him ever - he had my girlfriend actually moaning in the theatre as he was kissing Maggie Blye's nape.

• TheGayDivorcee likes this

#12 DJBeacon

DJBeacon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach, SC

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:49 AM

My favorite Coburn movie would be "Hard  Times" as the roguish Speed.

Also liked him in "The Rifleman" when he takes a strap to that sod-buster McCain and his kid.

A smallish role he did a good job with but not mentioned so far would be in "Looker" as the head of Reston Industries.

#13 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:37 AM

Glad you mentioned The President's Analyst (1967) SansFin, because it reminded me of at least one movie starring Coburn I enjoyed.

Funny McQueen was also mentioned, because I feel similarly ambivalent about both stars. Most likely, it's the type of movie & their roles that kind of leave me cold, because there is the rare stand out role I like them in. 

And thanks for the heads up on MAGOR DUNDEE ('65)

I'm always open to giving a star (or movie) another try and often find my tastes will "age" along with me.

#14 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,226 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:05 PM

My own personal favorite is 'Waterhole #3' (1967).

Coburn takes the anti-hero scoundrel to a new level - think 'Alfie' but willing to kill. Delightful movie.

'Cross of Iron' is a pretty darn good war movie. Hollywood hasn't made many movies about the Germans fighting on their eastern front. Leave it to Sam Peckinpah to do so.

#15 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:04 PM

Caught Midway (1976) on Sundance this evening. A movie with James Coburn that has not been previously mentioned on this thread. And with good reason. A 'blink and you'll miss it' cameo that could have been done by just about anyone. He may have gotten third billing for this movie but that was just because alphabetical order was in his favor. But I'll never begrudge a man or a woman an honest paycheck.

#16 SansFin

SansFin

U. S. Citizen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,845 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 04:20 AM

I liked him very much. His: Flint movies are among my favorites.

I feel that comparisons with: Steve McQueen have little basis. They were both cool but it was of vastly different types.

S. McQueen was cool because he was his own man with his own interests and had no care if any other person approved or disapproved. He appreciated and respected women who knew their own minds.

J. Coburn had boyish charm and embraced what was cool at the moment. He chased girls and amused himself with those who were attracted to him. I feel he exemplified the old adage: men get older but they never grow up. 

They were very different types of men.

I believe that my favorite role of: J. Coburn was: The President's Analyst (1967). He was charming and thoughtful and dithering and dynamic. The movie embraced all the quirky elements of: 1960s comedies and he was perfect in the role.

• TheGayDivorcee, LiamCasey and LawrenceA like this

My Avatar: Little girl ghost from "義足のMoses"

Russian nesting dolls are full of themselves.

#17 GregoryPeckfan

GregoryPeckfan

Movie Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts
  • LocationCanada - where we have free press

Posted 13 April 2016 - 01:26 AM

Hey, Larry.

Would love to pm you about stuff, but well, I disabled the messenger.  As you stated before:

James Coburn had arthritis in his hands and could not work for a long time.  You can see it in Snow Dogs.  He was a courageous man.

My favourite scene of his remains in Charade: he puts up a mirror to Charlie to see if he is breathing.

Funniest Funeral EVER!

You never did tell me how old you are,.  I know you are a February baby like I am.  I imagine you are around my Mom`s age or generation.

• LawrenceA likes this
Peter Fonda and Gregory Peck are my heroes.

#18 GregoryPeckfan

GregoryPeckfan

Movie Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 05:51 PM

At the risk of being put on "Ignore" by my fellow poster, JakeHolman, James Coburn epitomized 1960s cool to me more than Steve McQueen did. That may be because I saw Our Man Flint (1966) and In Like Flint (1967) at an early impressionable age. Or it may be because Mr. Coburn always seemed like he was having more fun in his movies than Mr. McQueen did in his.

A few more of Mr. Coburn's movies that I enjoyed that are not yet mentioned in this thread:

Harry in Your Pocket (1973)
Bite The Bullet (1975) w/ Gene Hackman

And, for those of you who receive Grit TV, Major Dundee (1965) is being shown on the 10th, the 12th, the 17th, the 28th and the 30th of this month.

I'm not sure Jake has read this thread.  He is not worried about any love I have of Yul Brynner movies.  :)

#19 GregoryPeckfan

GregoryPeckfan

Movie Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 05:49 PM

I really want to see this one.

I've seen this every so often.  it airs on Silver Screen Classics.  I enjoy this movie a lot specifically for the actors.

• LawrenceA likes this

#20 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,247 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 09:07 PM

I really want to see this one.

• darkblue, LiamCasey and GregoryPeckfan like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic