We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

In Like Jim: James Coburn

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 LiamCasey

LiamCasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 08:44 PM

James Coburn is definitely one of my favorites. And I was bummed that circumstances kept me from rewatching The Carey Treatment (1972) when it was on TCM recently.

At the risk of being put on "Ignore" by my fellow poster, JakeHolman, James Coburn epitomized 1960s cool to me more than Steve McQueen did. That may be because I saw Our Man Flint (1966) and In Like Flint (1967) at an early impressionable age. Or it may be because Mr. Coburn always seemed like he was having more fun in his movies than Mr. McQueen did in his.

A few more of Mr. Coburn's movies that I enjoyed that are not yet mentioned in this thread:

Harry in Your Pocket (1973)
Bite The Bullet (1975) w/ Gene Hackman
Cross of Iron (1977) w/ Maximilian Schell and James Mason

And, for those of you who receive Grit TV, Major Dundee (1965) is being shown on the 10th, the 12th, the 17th, the 28th and the 30th of this month.

• darkblue, LawrenceA and GregoryPeckfan like this

#22 GregoryPeckfan

GregoryPeckfan

Movie Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts
  • LocationCanada - where we have free press

Posted 07 April 2016 - 07:19 PM

He also had a good role in Maverick (the movie).

Yes, I saw that.  I watched it in spite of Mel.

Peter Fonda and Gregory Peck are my heroes.

#23 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,655 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:34 PM

He also had a good role in Maverick (the movie).

#24 GregoryPeckfan

GregoryPeckfan

Movie Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:49 PM

Other favourites I missed because I accidently hit post before I finished you have listed:

Hard Times

Fistful of Dynamite

The Americanization of Emily

Pat Garett and Billy the Kid

The President's Analyst

• LawrenceA likes this

#25 GregoryPeckfan

GregoryPeckfan

Movie Fan

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:46 PM

Hello, Mr. Corburn.

I love James Coburn.  He is one of my favourite supporting turned lead actors of all time.

I saw him in Affliction and loved it.  I even saw Snow Dogs for him.

I love it when I see him in Television.

My favourite  films of his are The Magnificent Seven, The Great Escape, and Charade

My other favourite films of his in no particular order are:

Ride Lonesome

Dead Heat on a Merry go Round

The last of Sheila

Affliction

Our Man Flint

In Like Flint

The Carey Treatment

Sister Act II

I'll have to double check imdb to see what I am missing.  I think I have seen about 50% of his career

• LawrenceA likes this

#26 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Grump

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,690 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:44 PM

I have seen 47 movies out of the 88 James Coburn appeared in. Here are my favorites. These are listed in order of Coburn's performances, not the over all movie.

Our Man Flint (1966)

The President's Analyst (1967)

The Great Escape (1963)

Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (1973)

In Like Flint (1967)

The Magnificent Seven (1960)

Major Dundee (1965)

The Americanization of Emily (1964)

Duck, You Sucker!/Fistful of Dynamite (1971)

Hard Times (1975)

Affliction (1998)

Hudson Hawk (1991)

• Bogie56 and GregoryPeckfan like this

#27 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Grump

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,690 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:25 PM

James Coburn (1928-2002) was born in Nebraska, but during the Depression his family moved to California. They settled in Compton, where Jim was raised. After a stint in the Army he studied acting and quickly started getting roles in commercials. He made his dramatic TV debut in 1957 on Studio One in Hollywood, and he would continue to guest on TV shows regularly over the next six years, appearing in everything from Wagon Train, M Squad, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Bronco,  and Bat Masterson, to Have Gun-Will Travel, Peter Gunn, Wanted:Dead or Alive, Perry Mason and The Twilight Zone, among many more. He made his movie debut in 1959 in Budd Boetticher's Ride Lonesome. He alternated between television and film for the next several years, gaining roles in such well-loved movies as The Magnificent Seven, The Great Escape, and Charade. 

He reached stardom with the lead roles in Our Man Flint and In Like Flint, two of the better James Bond spoofs of the era. His lean, macho persona, played just a tiny bit over the top, made him a perfect fit for the role of Derek Flint, an expert in more fields than can be counted, who is called upon to save the world. Coburn stayed a film star for the next decade or so, but as the last half of the 70's came around, the roles started drying up, and the ones he got weren't up to the old caliber. By the 1980's, he developed severe rheumatoid arthritis, crippling his hands and limiting his work. After making a recovery of sorts, he started acting in more films in the 1990's, and even earned a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his brief role in 1998's Affliction, an honor that was seen as largely a career nod. He seemed to genuinely revel in this acknowledgment of his work, but his celebration was relatively short, as he passed away just over 3 years later, while at home listening to music.

James Coburn was a unique star. He wasn't conventionally handsome, but he never had trouble getting the girl either. His toothy grin and charming demeanor, matched with his great, easily recognizable voice made him enjoyable as secret agents, pickpockets, Wild West bandits and lawmen, and whatever else he was called on to play. He seems now like a particularly 60's type of star, with his fashion sense, a new girl on his arm each night, a love of fast cars, being seen at the hottest nightspots and trendiest swinging Sixties events. He even found time to be a student of Bruce Lee, and would display his martial arts prowess even into old age. He was the type of character that can't really exist anymore, but a lot of guys wish they could be. If Steve McQueen was the King of 60's Cool, then Coburn was the Baron, never as big of a star, but with more of a devilish twinkle in his eye.

james-coburn-shelia-17.jpg

• Bogie56, Dargo, LiamCasey and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users