We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Tabloid headlines about stars' sexual orientations

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,260 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:57 AM

Perhaps this is it.

61KZRXOezQL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I can imagine what the coroner thought, or Dean's family. LOL

• jaragon, rayban and jinsinna13 like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:30 AM

Yeah. I once read a headline that said that James Dean survived the car crash and went into hiding...

Perhaps this is it.

61KZRXOezQL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• TopBilled, jaragon and jinsinna13 like this

"Believe in what your heart is saying. Hear the melody that's playing. There's no time to waste. There's so much to celebrate. Believe in what you feel inside. And give your dreams the wings to fly. You have everything you need. If you just believe."  Josh Groban- "Believe"

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,260 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:37 PM

I never read James Garner's autobiography, but I agree with you. The tabloid picked up on Garner's admission and made it sound like he was a drug addict in order to sell more copies. The more scandalous, the better.

And it's not anything Garner or his estate can sue them on, because technically Garner admitted to using drugs.

• jinsinna13 likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:27 PM

Sometimes these things are based on a small kernel of truth, then over-magnified. I believe in his autobiography Garner admitted to being a pot smoker. But of course a tabloid is going to say he was a drug addict, because it sounds scandalous and will sell more copies.

I never read James Garner's autobiography, but I agree with you. The tabloid picked up on Garner's admission and made it sound like he was a drug addict in order to sell more copies. The more scandalous, the better.

• jinsinna13 likes this

"Believe in what your heart is saying. Hear the melody that's playing. There's no time to waste. There's so much to celebrate. Believe in what you feel inside. And give your dreams the wings to fly. You have everything you need. If you just believe."  Josh Groban- "Believe"

#5 VivLeighFan

VivLeighFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationIn her room, most likely

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:28 AM

TopBilled, I believe these type of headlines sell magazines. And not just LGBT headlines either.

My sister works at Walmart, and she sometimes sneaks around on Fridays (that's when the new magazines are displayed) and reads the headlines. She sometimes tells me the headlines or I see them for myself.

One other thing you should probably know: These types of magazines often disrespect the deceased. One headline I read a few years ago was James Garner's Amazing Secret Life. The headline went on to say Garner cheated on his wife with Doris Day and Lauren Bacall and was a drug addict. Another headline I read right after Rod Taylor passed away was His Deadly Battle With Anorexia. It hurts to see anyone disrespected, and it's worse with the deceased because there's nothing they can do about the lies published in those types of magazines.

Yeah. I once read a headline that said that James Dean survived the car crash and went into hiding...
  • rayban and jinsinna13 like this

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,260 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:08 AM

TopBilled, I believe these type of headlines sell magazines. And not just LGBT headlines either.

My sister works at Walmart, and she sometimes sneaks around on Fridays (that's when the new magazines are displayed) and reads the headlines. She sometimes tells me the headlines or I see them for myself.

One other thing you should probably know: These types of magazines often disrespect the deceased. One headline I read a few years ago was James Garner's Amazing Secret Life. The headline went on to say Garner cheated on his wife with Doris Day and Lauren Bacall and was a drug addict. Another headline I read right after Rod Taylor passed away was His Deadly Battle With Anorexia. It hurts to see anyone disrespected, and it's worse with the deceased because there's nothing they can do about the lies published in those types of magazines.

Sometimes these things are based on a small kernel of truth, then over-magnified. I believe in his autobiography Garner admitted to being a pot smoker. But of course a tabloid is going to say he was a drug addict, because it sounds scandalous and will sell more copies.

• jinsinna13 likes this

#7 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:55 AM

It occurred to me there are lots of these types of headlines, whether they are actually true or not. 

Do these kinds of headlines really sell magazines..?

• TopBilled and jinsinna13 like this

#8 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:21 AM

Dean, Adams, Hopper and "fluid sexuality" a movie about this would be hot

You'd have to add Sal Mineo to the mix - and you'd get "Rebel Without A Cause".

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#9 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 09:41 AM

I thought Burr was gay.

Natalie Wood was a wild child, from at least her mid-teen years. She used to run around with James Dean, Nick Adams, Dennis Hopper and others, and got into as much trouble as they did. A recent Hopper bio I read made it seem that that whole scene was very free and fluid sexually, free love before the concept was wide spread.

Dean, Adams, Hopper and "fluid sexuality" a movie about this would be hot

• rayban likes this

#10 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 10:39 PM

I thought Burr was gay.

Natalie Wood was a wild child, from at least her mid-teen years. She used to run around with James Dean, Nick Adams, Dennis Hopper and others, and got into as much trouble as they did. A recent Hopper bio I read made it seem that that whole scene was very free and fluid sexually, free love before the concept was wide spread.

All this talk about Natalie Wood is really opening up my brain - - the most interesting match that she had that got the most publicity was Elvis Presley.
So that the only way they could date would be that they would close the whole bowling alley and they would have a date, that sort of thing.

Natalie would have been the first high-profile Show Business star that Elvis ever dated. Juliet Prowse, Ann-Margaret and so forth,they all came later.

I get a lot of my primary information about Nat from the old Movie Mags, Tab Hunter's autobio and from a book that her sister, Lana Wood wrote.
  • TopBilled and rayban like this

#11 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Caretaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,493 posts
  • LocationThe Overlook Hotel

Posted 13 May 2016 - 09:55 PM

I thought Burr was gay.

• Princess of Tap and rayban like this

#12 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 06:33 PM

Not sure if you're joking, but that's the funniest thing I have read today..!

Well, we don't know all the details - - but they spent an awful lot of time together and they were what we used to call an "item".

The theory was that she was trying to be independent from her mother but at the same time her mother approved because she thought Natalie was safe with Raymond Burr. The benefits for Burr were obvious.

#13 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,260 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 06:24 PM

I think before this period of time, Natalie Wood was really close with Raymond Burr. People were very puzzled about the whole thing because she was a great deal younger than him.

Not sure if you're joking, but that's the funniest thing I have read today..!

#14 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 06:09 PM

Yes, Natalie Wood was Tab Hunter's "beard" - she accompanied him on many a date and, then, let me hook up with his real date, usually Tony Perkins.

I think before this period of time, Natalie Wood was really close with Raymond Burr. People were very puzzled about the whole thing because she was a great deal younger than him.

#15 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:59 PM

I know that in the studio era the stars were forced to play the straight role because that is how they were sold to the public. 

Yes, Natalie Wood was Tab Hunter's "beard" - she accompanied him on many a date and, then, let me hook up with his real date, usually Tony Perkins.

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#16 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:26 PM

I know that in the studio era the stars were forced to play the straight role because that is how they were sold to the public. 

• hepclassic and rayban like this

#17 hepclassic

hepclassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 13 May 2016 - 04:49 PM

You're right, it does. And there's nothing wrong with saying that, because for some people it is still true. That their sexuality is a weakness and a vulnerability (thus putting them at the mercy of tabloids). You personally may not agree with it, but it's a reality for a lot of closeted people in Hollywood.

Going back to your analogy about moving a person from one room to another. We cannot move all the gay actors into a politically correct room of pride, because that is not how life works. And that is why the tabloids continue to have power over these vulnerable areas.

But other people give those tabloids that power, rather than stop and think about the merits and questioning it. Like, assuming that we know Tom Cruise's sexuality than he does, and justifying the supposed closet around him that fame and heterosexism has created for every GLBT individual famous or not. That's not only disrespectful towards his agency, but ours too. That's why we lose when we assume. 

As for the classic movie stars who have had a following in the GLBT community, I think it is not wrong to challenge the assumptions. It is one of the daily trias of being GLBT in a heterosexual America. To challenge. To stand up to the powers, and to not fall prey to them just because he or she is famous and you aren't. To stand up to those who don't like the attention, calling it a distraction, and directly and indirectly saying it is wrong to be gay. The world may work a certain way, but it hasn't always worked a certain way in the past, and it's stupid to think it will work the same way in the future. 

Personally, I can understand the modern confusion of not knowing what to call someone's sexual and gender identity, but not budging from terms that will continue to change as the human mind evolves in time and then blaming what you don't understand on the people you don't understand. The only cue to go from in that respect is heterosexuals who discriminate openly with their whining about political correctness. Well, they set the terms of what is offensive while also setting the offense. They need to learn from their prejudices and do better by the people whom they meet and know and come out to do so. Time will march on, and it will continue to. Maybe in 50 years, it won't be tabloid controversy to speculate an actor's sexual identity, because it wouldn't be a scandal by then. The work we do today will better the future for tomorrow. Some of us have to get off our lazy bums and work. 

• Princess of Tap likes this

"Sometimes you have to look at a person and see that he's doing the best he can." Katharine Hepburn as Ethel Thayer in 1981's "On Golden Pond."

#18 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,260 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 03:42 PM

That still says that being gay is weak. 

You're right, it does. And there's nothing wrong with saying that, because for some people it is still true. That their sexuality is a weakness and a vulnerability (thus putting them at the mercy of tabloids). You personally may not agree with it, but it's a reality for a lot of closeted people in Hollywood.

Going back to your analogy about moving a person from one room to another. We cannot move all the gay actors into a politically correct room of pride, because that is not how life works. And that is why the tabloids continue to have power over these vulnerable areas.

#19 hepclassic

hepclassic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:59 PM

It's an image thing. The whole image of what the star, his agent, his family, his production company wants us to believe about him. The tabloids screw with that, and those headlines take potshots (and sometimes pay the price in court).

But it's not the subject matter of being gay so much as it is exposing a vulnerability. Headlines about stars on their deathbeds or straight stars getting caught in extramarital affairs also expose vulnerabilities. And again, it means that the constructed, mythic image about a star might be on a collision course with the truth. 

That still says that being gay is weak. That it is a vulnerability that shouldn't be let out in the open. I can understand the business end of it, but there are no morality clauses in cinema anymore, and no need to cover it up outside of societal pressure. I don't take exception to Hollywood actors in regards to the privacy I want in my own life. If I were famous, I would want those details shared on my own terms, and not forced out of me for scandal's sake or otherwise. 

Ellen DeGeneres came out of the closet in her private, personal life long before she came out in her public life. I think the way she did that was exemplary with the hinted jokes and the build-up. The backlash, of course, was sadly unfortunate, but also indicative of the backlash still received today, albeit calmer.  Still, she came out publicly on her own terms, which, in fame, is better than being forced to come out, like people still do to Queen Latifah for example. 

I understand what you mean about image, but I remember that, as an actor myself, non-famous at that, that I portray many images of humanity. If I were to add fame to that, that would limit me based on sellable image, but we aren't living in the '50s anymore where we have to hide and duck and cover from possible arrests. Still, we haven't unlearned the behavior of forcing out anyone different from ourselves to say so. If Tom Cruise wants to come out of the closet, that's on him. I may not respect him all too much, but I respect his right to privacy and his right to cue the public when the time comes if the time comes. 

Speculation is healthy, but suggesting a famous actor is gay without their say is not okay, because fame doesn't take away from suicide statistics, for which GLBT individuals still suffer the risk off in today's "modern" world. 

• rayban likes this

"Sometimes you have to look at a person and see that he's doing the best he can." Katharine Hepburn as Ethel Thayer in 1981's "On Golden Pond."

#20 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,260 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 01:48 PM

Those magazine covers just show me how it is still controversial to be gay and it's still taboo to suggest controversy that someone is gay and that it is owed to the public that they be out with it. 

It's an image thing. The whole image of what the star, his agent, his family, his production company wants us to believe about him. The tabloids screw with that, and those headlines take potshots (and sometimes pay the price in court).

But it's not the subject matter of being gay so much as it is exposing a vulnerability. Headlines about stars on their deathbeds or straight stars getting caught in extramarital affairs also expose vulnerabilities. And again, it means that the constructed, mythic image about a star might be on a collision course with the truth. 

• rayban likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users