We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Interesting Actors on Classic TV Westerms

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,968 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:57 PM

I remember him as the psychopath in "While the City Sleeps".  I find the scene with his mother heart-wrenching.

• TopBilled and rayban like this

#42 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:04 PM

Today, on MeTV, there was an episode of "Gunsmoke" in which John Drew Barrymore gave an astonishingly charismatic performance as a duplicitous bounty hunter.

His close-ups were genuinely breathtaking.

Why this man didn't become a movie star is beyond me.

He was supported very effectively by the stars, of course, and by Dennis Hopper and Anne Helm and Phillip Coolidge. 

I assume the reason he didn't become a bigger star was due to his off screen behavior.  From Wiki:

"However, Barrymore's social behavior obstructed any professional progress. In the 1960s, he was occasionally incarcerated for drug use, public drunkenness, and spousal abuse."

I saw him on Kung Fu and is acting was fine.  

• rayban likes this

#43 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,947 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 07:36 PM

Today, on MeTV, there was an episode of "Gunsmoke" in which John Drew Barrymore gave an astonishingly charismatic performance as a duplicitous bounty hunter.

He was supported very effectively by the stars, of course, and by Dennis Hopper and Anne Helm and Phillip Coolidge. 

John Drew was a movie star, or at least had the beginnings of movie stardom, in the early 50s. Perhaps his recklessness and self-destructive nature sabotaged all that-- but he was an attractive man and a fine actor.

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#44 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 02:19 PM

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#45 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 03:27 PM

I've been watching "The Rifleman" on MeTV for the past few months.

These are half-hour episodes that are televised as two back-to-back episodes.

As Lucas McCain and Mark McCain, Chuck Connors and Johnny Crawford are a superb duo.

They are quite persuasive as a father and son who care a great deal for each other.

(The wife/mom seems to have died a long time ago.)

But it is so unusual especially in present-day TV and movies to witness the very real love between a father and son.

Chuck Connors and Johnny Crawford don't push it, either.

They don't have to; they come by it - naturally.

One of today's episodes dealt with a young princess and her younger brother who were escaping their royal confines and trying to get themselves to California.

They were given refuge by Lucas and his son, Mark, but the McCains did suspect that they were dealing with royalty.

What made this episode - so very special - was the eagerness of Lucas and Mark to make Jennifer and Charles (the princess and prince) an everyday part of their lives.

Lucas and Mark are kind of a lonely father and son, really, and two extra-special houseguests were quite a welcome novelty.

As the orincess, Annie Farge and, as the prince, Michael Petit, were totally and completely adorable.

But, that oh-so-intriguing relationship between father and son brings a very enviable resonance to whatever storyline that the two of them happen to be involved in.

My hat is off - and tossed high - for this richly rewarding Western series.

Chuck_Connors_Johnny_Crawford_The_Riflem 

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#46 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 07:26 AM

Great photo of Lee.  I was a big fan of his and remember Black Leather Jackets very well.  A girl in my apartment building knew him through her mother and told me he'd left acting for the art world.  I don't consider his acting career a failure, he simply found something else that fulfilled him more.  I also did not know he'd died so young. 

He reminded me of Robert Walker, Jr. who was also making his mark at about that time. 

Yes, Lee Kinsolving had great potential.

Perhaps he didn't find acting to be very satisfying.

I have also read that he owned a bar in uptown Manhattan.

I always remember him in "The Dark At The Top Of The Stairs". 

• TopBilled likes this

#47 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 22 September 2016 - 07:51 PM

Great photo of Lee.  I was a big fan of his and remember Black Leather Jackets very well.  A girl in my apartment building knew him through her mother and told me he'd left acting for the art world.  I don't consider his acting career a failure, he simply found something else that fulfilled him more.  I also did not know he'd died so young. 

He reminded me of Robert Walker, Jr. who was also making his mark at about that time. 

#48 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 01:25 PM

"GUNSMOKE" - today on MeTV -

This episode, which dealt with a young man's attempts to be a stabilizing influence on his brother and a no-holds-barred friend, had a very interesting performance from an actor by the name of William Arvin.

If an actor can be said to symbolize handsome goodness, it was William Arvin.

His brother was played to perfection by Michael J. Pollard, who was such a quirky presence in moves and on TV.

The violence in this particular episode seemed unusual for a 50's TV Western.

It started off with a very strong suggestion of rape, which was never acknowledeged to be a rape.

• TopBilled likes this

#49 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hothead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,722 posts
  • Locationaround the neighborhood

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:15 PM

A terrific performance from an appealing actor, who died tragically young. Lee Kinsolving -

It's not a Western, but I saw Lee Kinsolving in the Twilight Zone episode "Black Leather Jackets" in the past few weeks, also on ME-TV. I wasn't aware of his early death.

• rayban likes this

#50 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:42 PM

"GUNSMOKE" - today, on MeTV -

A terrific performance from an appealing actor, who died tragically young. Lee Kinsolving -

He played twin brothers, one of whom decided to kill the other out of envy and jealousy -

and, of course, because he wanted so much to be like his twin brother - 

who was extroverted and a go-getter -

anyway, the surviving twin brother lived to regret everything he had done -

in the end, he is lovingly embraced by their father, who was played by the great Paul Fix -

Lee Kinsolving brought all of his trademark brooding intensity to the role -

such a shame, truly, that he did not live to have a substantial career in the movies -

he did make one that you might know well enough - "The Dark At The Top Of The Stairs".

RIP, Lee Kinsolving. 

120855515_138551196834.jpg

• TopBilled and LawrenceA like this

#51 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,947 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 01:03 PM

TopBilled, is this the episode with Dianne Foster?  If so, it's a great story.

Yes, it is. Kind of daring the way she was touching and practically molesting her stepson in several scenes. Definitely an adult western.

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#52 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,968 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 12:37 PM

TopBilled, is this the episode with Dianne Foster?  If so, it's a great story.

#53 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,947 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:18 PM

Jarrod,

I do not think that "The Big Valley" was ever considered a hit TV series, but, fortunately, over the decades, time has been very kind to this particular show.

Agreed. It holds up rather well, because of the strong writing and performances. After the Buddy Hackett one, I watched another episode from season 2 called 'Caesar's Wife.' I had first seen it in the 90s when the show was rerun on Pat Robertson's channel. I wanted to see if it was as good as I remembered, and it was. 

• rayban likes this

#54 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:51 PM

Jarrod,

I do not think that "The Big Valley" was ever considered a hit TV series, but, fortunately, over the decades, time has been very kind to this particular show.

• TopBilled likes this

#55 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,947 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:17 PM

Ray,

Because you mentioned The Big Valley today, I decided to find my collection of episodes. The first season is on Hulu and I watched all of those a few months ago. So now I'm going through my discs starting with season 2. I just watched the one with Buddy Hackett, pretending to be Heath's biological father. Some excellent scenes, and a change of pace for him in a dramatic role. In the 80s, Hackett guest-starred twice on Lee Majors' series The Fall Guy, so obviously they bonded while working on TBV.

• rayban likes this

#56 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:38 PM

Yesterday, I watched two episodes of "The Life and Times of Wyatt Earp", which starred Hugh O'Brien.

I don't really remember this show - and I didn't particularly care for what I saw.

But Hugh O'Brien was an interesting combination of laid-back presence and the sizzle factor.

If ever a TV star could be said to blast through the tube, it was Hugh O'Brien.

Looking at him, appreciating him, is more than - enough.

PROGRAM0304.jpg

I remember the scene with O'Brien from Twins.  He was still in pretty good shape.

• rayban likes this

#57 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,947 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:12 PM

Today, on "The Big Valley", Van Williams gave an impressive performance as a sheriff and widower, who was trying to take care of his son in a very hostile environment.

The little boy, who played his son, John Daniels, did quite well, too.

Van Williams really had star quality.

He belonged on the big screen.

He played extremely well with everybody, especially Richard Long as Jarrod Barkley.

(The episode was titled "Rimfire" and aired on Feb. 19, 1968.)

It's been awhile, so I will have to go back and look at that one.

I have the entire series on DVD. My favorite is season 1, episode 16-- where bad guy John Dehner takes over the Barkley home. His scenes with Stanwyck are truly great. The character he plays is named Daddy Cade.

• rayban likes this

#58 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 04:06 PM

Today, on "The Big Valley", Van Williams gave an impressive performance as a sheriff and widower, who was trying to take care of his son in a very hostile environment.

The little boy, who played his son, John Daniels, did quite well, too.

Van Williams really had star quality.

He belonged on the big screen.

He played extremely well with everybody, especially Richard Long as Jarrod Barkley.

(The episode was titled "Rimfire" and aired on Feb. 19, 1968.)

• TopBilled likes this

#59 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,947 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:43 AM

I don't think I've ever sat through an entire episode of the Daniel Boone television series. And come to think of it, I've never seen the Disney movies either.

• rayban likes this

#60 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:23 PM

Very disturbing episode today on "Daniel Boone" which featured a terrific performance from Vincent Price, as a highly perverted "piece of garbage".

He collected children that nobody really wanted - he actually had NINE of these children - and he forced all of them to steal anything that looked valuable to any of them.

He would promise them food - meat, actually - but was more likely to feed them bread and water.

The kids were a mess - filthy, wild and frightened.

At night, he locked them in an abandoned cattle car.

Luckily, Daniel Boone's son, Israel, was instrumental in exposing the poor excuse for humanity that

Vincent Price's character was.

When an episode of a classic TV series is this hard-hitting, it really and truly is - an eye-opener.

By the way, Darby Hinton, who played Daniel Boone's son, was an extremely natural child actor.

• TopBilled likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users