We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Interesting Actors on Classic TV Westerms

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,141 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:34 PM

Will do, Jarrod, you seem to be a connoisseur of the Western genre.

Recently, I saw Hugh O'Brien in a Lana Turner flick, "Love Has Many Faces".

He did not have the leading male role - that belonged to Cliff Robertson.

In fact, many of Hugh O'Brien's scenes were with Ruth Roman, as a wealthy widow on the make, who was a fan of Hugh O'Brien's "assets".

But his mere presence on the screen sent these scenes into a kind of "overdrive".

Some actors have a kind of presence that goes beyond their acting abilities.

Hugh O'Brien had that unique quality.

I agree. O'Brien brings an undeniable sexual energy to his roles. But he underplays his scenes, so we get a very potent but laid back type of man on screen.

THE TWINKLE IN GOD'S EYE is leaving Amazon Prime on August 31. Make sure to see it while you can.

• rayban likes this

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#62 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 10:49 AM

If you have Amazon Prime, catch a Republic western comedy from 1955 called THE TWINKLE IN GOD'S EYE. Mickey Rooney plays a newly ordained preacher, and Hugh O'Brien is the owner of a saloon who tries to drive religious zealots out of the community (because they might cut into his business). I believe it was the same year O'Brien began his television series, so he's in peak form.

Will do, Jarrod, you seem to be a connoisseur of the Western genre.

Recently, I saw Hugh O'Brien in a Lana Turner flick, "Love Has Many Faces".

He did not have the leading male role - that belonged to Cliff Robertson.

In fact, many of Hugh O'Brien's scenes were with Ruth Roman, as a wealthy widow on the make, who was a fan of Hugh O'Brien's "assets".

But his mere presence on the screen sent these scenes into a kind of "overdrive".

Some actors have a kind of presence that goes beyond their acting abilities.

Hugh O'Brien had that unique quality.

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#63 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,141 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:43 AM

If you have Amazon Prime, catch a Republic western comedy from 1955 called THE TWINKLE IN GOD'S EYE. Mickey Rooney plays a newly ordained preacher, and Hugh O'Brien is the owner of a saloon who tries to drive religious zealots out of the community (because they might cut into his business). I believe it was the same year O'Brien began his television series, so he's in peak form.

• rayban likes this

"You've had a few hours given back to you from life. A few hours in which to change your minds and your hearts. When you came into the grounds of this inn, you came into a place as it was a year ago today. You were in your own time, but the house and garden and Gwyneth and I are in the time of last year. The day the bomb hit. When you go away and walk up the road you will have spent a night in an inn. But if you look back from the crest of the hill, the halfway house will not be here...but if you remember, it will be as you remember a forgotten snatch of song. It will be a picture before your eyes. Gone before you realize it is there. Or an echo in the hidden places of your mind. But you have been here...and the world is what you make it." -- Mervyn Johns, THE HALFWAY HOUSE.

#64 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:04 AM

Yesterday, I watched two episodes of "The Life and Times of Wyatt Earp", which starred Hugh O'Brien.

I don't really remember this show - and I didn't particularly care for what I saw.

But Hugh O'Brien was an interesting combination of laid-back presence and the sizzle factor.

If ever a TV star could be said to blast through the tube, it was Hugh O'Brien.

Looking at him, appreciating him, is more than - enough.

PROGRAM0304.jpg

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#65 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 01:45 PM

I watched some episodes of "Lassie" today - although it is not a Western, it does have a Western-like setting.

This one was about Lassie, who objected to the family's new refrigerator - he preferred the old icebox - and, consequently, would not eat anything from the refrigerator.

The family unit is so tightly knit - June Lockhart as mom, Hugh Reilly as dad, Jon Provost as Timmy and, of course, Lassie - a male dog who was always referred to as "she" or "her"

The episode was so "innocent" that it was completely captivating.

And, to think that "Lassie" was early Sunday night programming on TV.

Bring back those days - because the world has changed so drastically - and so badly.

Oh, for those Sundays with Jon Provost and Lassie!

I also watched some episodes of "The Lone Ranger" with John Hart and Jay Silverheels.

I do not remember John Hart as The Lone Ranger.

But, in one episode in which he played an old, old man, he revealed himself to be quite a fine actor.

I really enjoyed the episode which centered around a young man who hated his outlaw father and was completely devoted to his mother.

The young actor's name was Bob Arthur - and he almost stole the spotlight from The Lone Ranger and Tonto.

The sets were, for the most part, artificial - but that fakery only added to the charm of the series. 

The famous opening and closing of the show, in terms of words and visuals, are still quite potent.    

• TopBilled likes this

#66 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:08 PM

I'd like to sing the praises of James Murdock again as "Mushy" on "Rawhide".

He played a mentally challenged young man and he was also an extraordinarily beautiful young man.

On yesterday's episode on MeTV, the episode had two guest stars - Glenda Farrell and Frankie Avalon.

Glenda Farrell played a wealthy woman who struck a deal with Eric Fleming and Clint Eastwood that included putting her wayward nephew to work on the cattle drive.

The nephew, who was played by Frankie Avalon, was a "bad apple".

But James Murdock actually had a civilizing influence on him.

Frankie Avalon's character responded to his gentleness and warmth and wanted to teach "Mushy" to do a lot of practical things.

He wanted to teach "Mushy" to play a guitar and shoot a gun.

It turned out to be quite an experience for the two of them.

In the end, the nephew's bad side could not be controlled and he was accidentally killed in a cattle stampede that he himself had set up.

"Mushy" was devastated - he had lost a true friend.

In the end, the camera focused on James Murdock's face - and his forlorn expression told a sad, sad story - he had lost somebody who had cared about him.

Of course, the irony here is that the nephew was a really bad apple, who had met somebody who could have turned him around.

It isn't often that a Western episode explores this kind of male bonding.

• TopBilled likes this

#67 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,277 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:50 PM

jamesjazzguitar, on 21 May 2016 - 6:11 PM, said:

Each of us may see something different when watching a film.   Can't you understand that?   What I find twisted is your implication that because you don't see something others are twisted if they do.

I'm surprised at you.  You're usually so even-handed.  People seem to be trying to force sexuality into any and all phases of relationships real or on film whether it really exists or not because that's how they look at things.  On another thread the implication was that 3:10 to Yuma had a gay underlying theme even though one character seduces the female store clerk.  This has come up for other films where men have a strong bond but nothing else that indicates more than that.  I'm certain that some find something similar for female characters whether it's there or not.  And those of us who don't need this to enjoy a film are considered the weird ones?  Can't the story just be what it is?         

You still don't get it.  No person here is one of "the weird ones".      Yea,  gay folks at this forum often relate to films in ways that I don't (as well as seeing subtext that I fail to see or related to) but that doesn't make them the weird ones.    Should I read into your use of the term 'they'?        

#68 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 22 May 2016 - 06:18 PM

jamesjazzguitar, on 21 May 2016 - 6:11 PM, said:

Each of us may see something different when watching a film.   Can't you understand that?   What I find twisted is your implication that because you don't see something others are twisted if they do.

I'm surprised at you.  You're usually so even-handed.  People seem to be trying to force sexuality into any and all phases of relationships real or on film whether it really exists or not because that's how they look at things.  On another thread the implication was that 3:10 to Yuma had a gay underlying theme even though one character seduces the female store clerk.  This has come up for other films where men have a strong bond but nothing else that indicates more than that.  I'm certain that some find something similar for female characters whether it's there or not.  And those of us who don't need this to enjoy a film are considered the weird ones?  Can't the story just be what it is?         

• TopBilled likes this

#69 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:31 PM

Not wanting to start a fight - BUT -

the gun has always had phallic implications.

The most famous of which is the "gun scene" between Montgomery Clift and John Ireland in Howard Hawks' "Red River".

But, enough said, I do not want to belabor the point.

Or be forced to write an article about "the gun and its' implications" in Western and Crime Films.

#70 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,277 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:11 PM

In all the years I've watched episodes of this series I've never related this introduction to anything of a sexual nature.  Just what purient mind cooked this idea up?  Are we to wonder now if when any character shoots a gun in such a show or movie it's subbing for a certain part of male anatomy?  This is what's twisted.   

• rayban likes this

#71 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,577 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:40 PM

Today, this series is almost "notorious" for its blatantly phallic imagery - as Chuck Connors moves forward (with the credits) and "blasts off" with a huge rifle between his legs.  

In all the years I've watched episodes of this series I've never related this introduction to anything of a sexual nature.  Just what purient mind cooked this idea up?  Are we to wonder now if when any character shoots a gun in such a show or movie it's subbing for a certain part of male anatomy?  This is what's twisted.   

#72 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:42 PM

Today, on "Bonanza" on MeTV, there was such a charming performance from an elderly actor, who was immediately recognizable as the great MGM star from the 20's and 30's, Ramon Navarro.

And he was given excellent support from the young actor, who played his nephew, Michael Dante.

Ramon Navarro often spoke in his native language, too - Spanish.

So obviously, a man who had been a star once upon a time.

• TopBilled likes this

#73 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,556 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 02:38 PM

Speaking of movie stars in small roles in Westerns, I'm reminded of The Big Valley.  One can watch just about any episode and find someone from the movies.  They used an amazing number of guests in great stories.  One that comes to mind is Ellen Burstyn in the role of a nun who had a history with Heath Barkley (Lee Majors).  She even used another name in the credits:  Ellen McRae.

Terrence.

• TopBilled and rayban like this

#74 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 03:33 PM

I watched two interesting episodes of "The Rifleman" today -

in the first, there were two intriguing performances by James Barton and James Franciscus as a father and son who meet 24 years too late - Franciscus, who feels that he has been "cheated" all his life, goes off the deep end when his father dies suddenly and, so, he tries to convict the young men (two pups, really) who accidentally caused his father's "accident"    

in the second, Chuck Connors and Johnny Crawford, who are the leads, father and son, did exceptional work as they tried to deal with a religious zealot (John Dehner), his wayward wife (Phyllis Avery) and a baby - the baby stole all of her scenes

Chuck Connors and Johnny Crawford - and Paul Fix, as the sheriff - really provided a great deal of charm and warmth to this series.

Today, this series is almost "notorious" for its blatantly phallic imagery - as Chuck Connors moves forward (with the credits) and "blasts off" with a huge rifle between his legs.  

auction-1.jpg

#75 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:03 AM

I think you are referring to a season 5 episode of Rawhide called 'Incident of the Clown.' Bracken played a different role in another episode the following season. He continued to appear on television programs until 2000, two years before his death.

Yes, Jarrod, that was the title - "Incident of the Clown" - the cast of regulars was a very interesting one, and Bracken distinguished the episode with his artistry.

Yesterday, I watched an episode of "The Virginian" which featured a storyline that spotlighted Doug McClure and Miyoshi Umeki.

Together, they were really exceptional, because they were so different.

• TopBilled likes this

#76 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33,141 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:11 PM

Later, I watched an episode of "Rawhide", which was in black and black and rather dull-looking.

A lot of the "outdoor locations" looked like studio sets.

But this one had an extraordinary performance by Eddie Bracken as a man whom nobody wanted to take seriously, but who actually saved the day.

I think you are referring to a season 5 episode of Rawhide called 'Incident of the Clown.' Bracken played a different role in another episode the following season. He continued to appear on television programs until 2000, two years before his death.

• rayban likes this

#77 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:40 PM

I watched an episode of "Bonanza" today, which was about a prison riot and had a fairly conventional storyline.

But the prison itself was an extraordinary physical manifestation - a seething pit of filth and depravity.

The prisoners looked like they were crawling with lice.

And there was a stunning performance by Marco St. John as a rabid dog of a man.

He looked like he could bite his way through the TV tube.

Later, I watched an episode of "Rawhide", which was in black and black and rather dull-looking.

A lot of the "outdoor locations" looked like studio sets.

But this one had an extraordinary performance by Eddie Bracken as a man whom nobody wanted to take seriously, but who actually saved the day.

Also, one of the regulars - he worked on the chuck wagon with Wishbone - was James Murdock; he played "Mushy", a mentally challenged young man who was so warm and friendly - he was, also, extraordinarily beautiful.

Below, James Murdock as "Mushy" - 

James+Murdock2.jpg

• TopBilled likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users