We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

• Please log in to reply
1273 replies to this topic

#1 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,426 posts

Posted Today, 12:07 PM

He didn't write this on his more often used therealDonaldTrump account which goes out to all of his deplorable supporters.  Wouldn't want to confuse them with mixed messaging.

It's likely he didn't write it at all. Maybe Ivanka did. There are no misspelled words.

• mr6666 and film lover 293 like this

#2 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted Today, 12:00 PM

The violent attacks in Portland on Friday are unacceptable. The victims were standing up to hate and intolerance. Our prayers are w/ them.

He didn't write this on his more often used therealDonaldTrump account which goes out to all of his deplorable supporters.  Wouldn't want to confuse them with mixed messaging.

• mr6666 and LawrenceA like this

#3 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,426 posts

Posted Today, 10:37 AM

The violent attacks in Portland on Friday are unacceptable. The victims were standing up to hate and intolerance. Our prayers are w/ them.

#4 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,961 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted Today, 09:15 AM

When I was that age I was out campaigning for Lyndon Johnson and Hubert Humphrey - - and getting into clashes with Goldwater people in school and at political rallies.

I understood very well what I was campaigning for and why.

And I would think that young people today are even more astute and aware of politics in the world around them than we were at that age.

At 17 I was secretary of Teen Age Republicans and we were campaigning for Goldwater.  We had a fairly large group that met twice monthly in addition to working at the Republican HQ office in town, going to rallies, etc.

Most members of the group were there because their parents supported Goldwater and were vehemently opposed to LBJ.  There was no Democratic counterpart to TARS, YR, etc.  A lot of them were there for the social aspects, which is why it fell apart in Dec. 1964.  At that time, there were no Republican elected officials in S.C. other than Thurmond who changed parties in 64.  Many years before Republicans were elected to local and state offices, so there was work to do if TARS had wanted to.

I was probably one of the few who had actually read Conscience of a Conservative (Goldwater's book re: his politics).

By the next election I was a senior in college and supported Eugene McCarthy.  Still have his book.

Teenagers today may be more aware than we were, but not so sure.  Think a lot of it is still peer pressure or trying to fit in with a popular group or activity.

#5 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,426 posts

Posted Today, 07:13 AM

Jared Kushner under pressure to take a leave of absence from the White House: report http://hill.cm/gaQwgyr 

DA_fpM6XcAAuKJI.jpg

#6 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,426 posts

Posted Today, 06:40 AM

NEW: Trump's proposed defense spending disappoints members of both parties http://hill.cm/mYhzxx8 

DA_cN6FXgAAv55k.jpg

#7 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,426 posts

Posted Today, 06:30 AM

AHEAD on @CBSThisMorning: How two men gave up their lives to stand up against anti-Muslim taunting http://cbsn.ws/2qrKT8Q 

DA_ZOLKW0AAEc7n.jpg

Call me crazy but had a Muslim killed two white Christians in Portland I suspect our president would have said something

• Bogie56 and LawrenceA like this

#8 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:00 PM

My parents having a 13 - 14 year old protesting like that? Over their dead bodies.

I was closer to 12 and we were not protesting; we were campaigning for what we believed in.

My grandmother was a ward heeler - - they don't have those anymore. And I worked for her for a long time ringing doorbells and sometimes ringing phones up and asking for donations.

In a democracy everyone is supposed to participate. The earlier you learn how that works the better, so that you will continue to do so as an adult.

I've been a poll worker in my local precincts for the last 15 years-- local elections, state elections and national elections.

Coming from the background that I came from with my grandmother, it's just a natural thing for me to do.

Democracy only works if citizens participate.

BTW-- THE Goldwater kids would taunt us at school and at Humphrey rallies-- we never went to Goldwater rallies to harass them-- we just ignored them.
I was always taught to take the high road, but not to be afraid to stand up for what I believe in. LOL

#9 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,793 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:24 PM

When I was that age I was out campaigning for Lyndon Johnson and Hubert Humphrey - - and getting into clashes with Goldwater people in school and at political rallies.

And I would think that young people today are even more astute and aware of politics in the world around them than we were at that age.

My parents having a 13 - 14 year old protesting like that?  Over their dead bodies.

#10 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:51 PM

You would THINK so, but based on what I overhear twenty and thirtysomethings say on political "hot button" topics indicates that's a fallacy. With them it all depends on which "app" they get their information from. :rolleyes:

So, PRINCESS----went out for LBJ too? Yeah, I was there, but when HH ran for the office, I shifted over to EUGENE McCARTHY.

Sepiatone

At that time I was with Bobby Kennedy-- until the end.

And the end was when Frank Mankiewicz announced Bobby's death at the hospital.

Of course, that was Ben's father.

#11 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,965 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted Yesterday, 06:59 PM

You would THINK so, but based on what I overhear  twenty and thirtysomethings say on political "hot button" topics indicates that's a fallacy.  With them it all depends on which "app" they get their information from.  :rolleyes:

So, PRINCESS----went out for LBJ too?   Yeah, I was there, but when HH ran for the office, I shifted over to EUGENE McCARTHY.

Sepiatone

• Princess of Tap likes this

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#12 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,426 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:41 PM

Trump disses NATO, blows up European alliance, outs Israel intel, gives vital intel on subs to North Korea. Bob Corker calls trip near perfect

#13 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:00 PM

Freedom of choice I agree with, that been said are they wise enough to understand the world of politics - pros and cons of political objectives. When I was in the 8th grade, our only concern was student body president. Did I understood Washington - heck no!(barely do so today!)

• Arturo, Sepiatone and film lover 293 like this

#14 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted Yesterday, 04:35 PM

Freedom of choice I agree with, that been said are they wise enough to understand the world of politics - pros and cons of political objectives.  When I was in the 8th grade, our only concern was student body president. Did I understood Washington - heck no!(barely do so today!)

I knew Viet Nam and Nixon were terrible.  Kids are savvy.

• Arturo, film lover 293 and Princess of Tap like this

#15 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted Yesterday, 04:31 PM

I believe the kiddie's reaction may be due to widowspeakophobia.

What is Bannon's due date?

• Arturo likes this

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#16 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,793 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:09 PM

Nearly 100 8th graders refuse to join class photo with Paul Ryan http://hill.cm/oBbFR6d 

DA7xJXpXcAEiDC7.jpg

Freedom of choice I agree with, that been said are they wise enough to understand the world of politics - pros and cons of political objectives.  When I was in the 8th grade, our only concern was student body president. Did I understood Washington - heck no!(barely do so today!)

#17 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,426 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:44 PM

Nearly 100 8th graders refuse to join class photo with Paul Ryan http://hill.cm/oBbFR6d 

DA7xJXpXcAEiDC7.jpg

• mr6666, Arturo, Bogie56 and 3 others like this

#18 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,426 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:38 PM

H1qUtJzN_bigger.jpgThe HillVerified account @thehillFollowing

More

Germany's Merkel after G7: We can no longer "completely depend" on America as a partner http://hill.cm/ySo4qJE 

DA7wOb3XsAAMArB.jpg

• mr6666, Arturo, TheCid and 2 others like this

#19 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted Yesterday, 12:48 PM

Trump has tweeted that he has saved America billions of dollars on his trip and created millions of jobs.  If he is referring to NATO monies that is money that is supposed to be invested in each country's own defence and not handed over to the USA.  Though a lot of it will go to the U.S. military industrial complex to buy arms and that is what was at the heart of Trump's complaint.  He wants the Allies to buy more guns and tanks from the U.S.

• Arturo likes this

#20 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,578 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:51 AM

4R4Lf7XJ_bigger.jpgRichard RoeperVerified account @richardroeper

Following[/color6]

More

Richard Roeper Retweeted Donald J. Trump

Says the man who was an unnamed source for the mainstream media for DECADES.

DJT_Headshot_V2_bigger.jpgDonald J. TrumpVerified account @realDonaldTrump

[color=#0d5b73] 

More

Whenever you see the words 'sources say' in the fake news media, and they don't mention names...

....it is very possible that those sources don't exist but are made up by fake news writers. #FakeNews is the enemy!

Richard Roeper added,

Trump and associates are the main purveyors of Fake News, and their use of that term for anything inconvenient or damaging to him/then, are attempts to discredit these mostly legitimate stories. Unfortunately, Trump has been howling Fake News throughout the campaign, that his followers have been conditioned to believe him and dismiss these news reports, although more discerning and/or impartial viewers know better.

Will Trump supporters have a rude reawakening when his presidency gets derailed, not by these "fake news" stories, but by his actions and the actions of those around him.
  • ChristineHoard, film lover 293 and Princess of Tap like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users