We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Gene Hackman as SOTM September 2016

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 18 September 2016 - 10:42 AM

Keep an eye out for this: Robert Duvall has narrated a newly produced TCM tribute to his friend Gene Hackman. It's available now to TCM Backlot members and will premiere on-air on September 1, with several repeats thereafter throughout the month.

Duvall does a grand tribute to Gene Hackman and I'm glad TCM did this.  Lately many of the SOTMs have not had a separate tribute (as they used to) and have simply been "featured" among other special programming on the "This Month on TCM" promo. Wonderful insights into Hackman by a fellow actor and a friend.

• TopBilled likes this

#2 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,623 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:30 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if Faye Dunaway gets a turn as Star of the Month in 2017, when TCM premieres her Live from the TCM Classic Film Festival interview.

Fingers crossed. Faye Dunaway would be a great honoree. I almost mentioned Jane Fonda in my earlier post, but I'm not sure if she'd go over too well.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#3 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:25 AM

Thanks for sharing the link. 

We've had Robert Redford and now Gene Hackman. Time for TCM to feature an actress from the 70s & 80s as Star of the Month...preferably someone like Faye Dunaway, Sally Field or Julie Christie. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Faye Dunaway gets a turn as Star of the Month in 2017, when TCM premieres her Live from the TCM Classic Film Festival interview.

• TopBilled likes this

#4 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,623 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:54 AM

Robert Osborne article on Gene Hackman...

http://www.tcm.com/t...ne-Hackman.html

Thanks for sharing the link. 

We've had Robert Redford and now Gene Hackman. Time for TCM to feature an actress from the 70s & 80s as Star of the Month...preferably someone like Faye Dunaway, Sally Field or Julie Christie. 

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#5 mr6666

mr6666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,777 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:59 PM

Robert Osborne article on Gene Hackman...

http://www.tcm.com/t...ne-Hackman.html

"A small elephant is not a rabbit."

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,623 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:33 PM

Unfortunately, Backlot membership is not currently open to Canadians. I have a couple of American friends who have joined though, and they keep me somewhat abreast of what's going on over there. 

That's right, I forgot there are contest restrictions for those who live outside the U.S.

#7 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:22 PM

Thanks Barton. Did you decide to go ahead and subscribe to the Backlot? Or is there a way to see these clips without joining?

Unfortunately, Backlot membership is not currently open to Canadians. I have a couple of American friends who have joined though, and they keep me somewhat abreast of what's going on over there. 

• TopBilled likes this

#8 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,623 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:19 PM

Keep an eye out for this: Robert Duvall has narrated a newly produced TCM tribute to his friend Gene Hackman. It's available now to TCM Backlot members and will premiere on-air on September 1, with several repeats thereafter throughout the month.

Thanks Barton. Did you decide to go ahead and subscribe to the Backlot? Or is there a way to see these clips without joining?

#9 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:18 PM

• TopBilled likes this

#10 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 04:00 PM

Here is a link to Robert Osborne's article on Gene Hackman, which was originally published in the September 2016 issue of Now Playing: http://www.tcm.com/t...ne-Hackman.html. I second Osborne's recommendation of two Hackman films not included in TCM's tribute -- POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE (1990) and NO WAY OUT (1987).

Still no official word on when Osborne will be back on-air, but a friend of mine who works as a segment producer at TCM informed me recently that it's definitely a matter of when he returns rather than if. He's receiving treatment for an ongoing illness which has sidelined him since April, but Osborne is still busy writing for TCM, both his monthly column in Now Playing and contributing to the wraparounds for each of his guest hosts to date -- Madeleine Stowe, Dave Karger and Michael Feinstein. So in a way we're still hearing Osborne's 'voice' despite his leave of absence. What's more is that, by all accounts, Osborne is fully intending to be well enough to host the TCM Cruise in November.

• TopBilled likes this

#11 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,623 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:13 PM

Yes and I think Company Business (1991) has been dropped for Jamaica Inn (1939) on the 1st of October. First to Fight (1967) is still scheduled though.

Again, thanks for the updates. 

#12 CrisR

CrisR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:16 PM

Yes and I think Company Business (1991) has been dropped for Jamaica Inn (1939) on the 1st of October. First to Fight (1967) is still scheduled though.
  • TopBilled likes this

#13 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,623 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:14 PM

All Night Long dropped for Oh God! (1977)

Thanks for letting us know. So that still means only three Gene Hackman films on the 9th.

#14 CrisR

CrisR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 08:01 PM

All Night Long dropped for Oh God! (1977)
  • TopBilled likes this

#15 CrisR

CrisR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 01:29 PM

Yes I saw that All Night Long is linked to the next movie, Jazz themed I think. So probably the title was just coincidental.

#16 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,623 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:38 PM

I asked TCM online regarding the All Night Long movie choice, and someone from TCM replied back to saying they have passed my message to the programmers so will see.

I noticed they haven't changed it, so it looks like we're still going to have the other film with the same title (without Hackman in it).

#17 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,623 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:34 AM

Worth mentioning -- I had a thorough look at the October schedule today, and noticed that TCM has scheduled two more Gene Hackman films on the morning of October 1 -- FIRST TO FIGHT (1967) and COMPANY BUSINESS (1991).

Good deal. Thanks for letting us know..!

#18 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 11:02 PM

Worth mentioning -- I had a thorough look at the October schedule today, and noticed that TCM has scheduled two more Gene Hackman films on the morning of October 1 -- FIRST TO FIGHT (1967) and COMPANY BUSINESS (1991).

• TopBilled likes this

#19 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,012 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 12:10 PM

Man - Robert Duvall, Gene Hackman, Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman

Woman - Jane Fonda...and I can't think of another with enough films from that era to make a month's schedule.

How about Barbra Streisand, Dame Julie Andrews, Geraldine Page, Diane Keaton, Jeanne Moreau, Faye Dunaway, Vanessa Redgrave, Glenda Jackson, Liv Ullmann, Bibi Andersson, Julie Christie, Dame Maggie Smith, Catherine Deneuve, Anne Bancroft, Charlotte Rampling and Jill Clayburgh? Maybe Marsha Mason and Ellen Burstyn, too.

• TopBilled likes this

#20 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,623 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:27 PM

I asked TCM online regarding the All Night Long movie choice, and someone from TCM replied back to saying they have passed my message to the programmers so will see.

Very good. Thanks for doing that..!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users