All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. sagebrush

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

I really enjoyed Shirley's acting in her teenage and young adult years, more so than her childhood roles. She was fantastic in THE BACHELOR AND THE BOBBYSOXER and SINCE YOU WENT AWAY, and in I'LL BE SEEING YOU, she showed great emotional range in the scene where she apologizes to Ginger Rogers for inadvertently informing Joseph Cotton of the fact that Rogers is serving a prison sentence. A KISS FOR CORLISS is fun, too.
  3. rayban

I Just Watched...

I agree, the ultimate art-house flick. The lead actors cannot be forgotten. Nor the visual style or the music.
  4. TomJH

Welcome Back, Dude

As far as I'm concerned there is only one person who has claims to being the Dude. He may have his flaws, along with the rest of us, but, as he says in a rather memorable final line before the film's opening titles . . . "Hey, at least I'm house broken."
  5. Gershwin fan

Why do some classic movie fans bash newer films?

What movie comment section is this even from? "No cussing" certainly wouldn't be my greatest ringing praise of a movie.
  6. rayban

I Just Watched...

I wish that I had seen all of the Comedies and Proverbs and the six Moral Tales. I am most familiar with "My Night at Maud's" and "Claire's Knee".
  7. lavenderblue19

Theme Songs That Fit A Movie or TV Show Perfectly

Splendor In the Grass is the one that always gets me as many times as I've heard it. It so heartbreakingly beautiful and sets the tone, you know this film will be a heartbreaker when you hear that music.
  8. rayban

I Just Watched...

"Il Posto" is one of cinema's greatest films. The lead actor, Sandro Panseri, is unforgettable.
  9. Gershwin fan

Welcome Back, Dude

When I first saw the thread, I thought it was a sarcastic welcome back to DB too. Good commercial though. "Stella Art-toas."
  10. TopBilled

Bette Davis' daughter talks about witchcraft

In the clip I posted, where B.D. is interviewed on the morning program, she says she wrote the book before her mother's health declined (before the stroke I would assume). I think it had already gone to the publishers. It would have been out of her hands at that point, and up to the publishing company to halt or delay publication. As we know Bette bounced back from that stroke and lived several more years. So maybe B.D.'s book caused her to rally, because she was determined to publish her own tome, which she did in 1987:
  11. Today
  12. YabbaDabba

TCM Imports - 2019

Are there any for this month? Haven't seen them....
  13. Fedya

" The Green Pastures ", Sunday

Not in Silver Streak.
  14. LawrenceA

I Just Watched...

Last Year at Marienbad (1961) - 5/10 French drama (?) set at a palatial resort where many finely dressed people dance, watch plays, and stand around looking at one another. One man (Giorgio Albertazzi) approaches a woman (Delphine Seyrig), apparently hoping to rekindle a relationship from "last year, at Marienbad", only the woman claims to not know the man. Another man (Sacha Pitoeff), who may or may not be the woman's husband, tries to thwart the first man. Meanwhile, everyone looks fabulous as the camera zooms past them, or zooms in, or quick-cuts away. This may be the ultimate arthouse flick, alternately regarded as brilliant or pretentious, mesmerizing or dull, hypnotic or narcoleptic. It looks nice, and its visual style has certainly been influential. But many (most?) viewers will find it a confounding, nigh-incomprehensible waste of time. To those few who "get it", it will be regarded as a masterwork. I'm somewhere in between. I appreciate the artistry, and the idea that director Alain Resnais may have been attempting to depict the inner workings of the mind (I also like the idea that the movie may be a ghost story, with long-dead players reenacting their mortal hang-ups), but a little of this goes a long way. The organ-music score, in particular, grew very grating. However, I can see where some may connect with the abstract vibe. Source: internet
  15. TheCid

Noir Alley

I think Eddie may have alluded to this as possibly a choice by Sheridan. He did point out that she wore the same shapeless overcoat throughout most of the movie. I think Sheridan wanted to show that while she was beyond the "hot" young role, she could still act and deserved more roles.
  16. Vautrin

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

It couldn't happen to a nicer mass murderer.
  17. Vautrin

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

Two sleazebags for the price of one.
  18. The 1996 Belgium Film Critics Association Best Picture Award went to … Drifting Clouds (1996) Aki Kaurismaki, Finland
  19. The winner of the 1996 Lumiere Best Picture Award was … Ridicule (1996) Patrice Leconte, France
  20. LonesomePolecat

First Movie SONG That Comes to Mind

Bernard Herrmann 's original opera music in CITIZEN KANE Next Something else by Bernard Herrmann
  21. The winner of the 1996 Prix Jean Vigo was … Encore (1996) Pascal Bonitzer, France
  22. The winner of the 1996 Prix Louis Delluc Best Picture was … Will It Snow For Christmas? (1996) Sandrine Veysset, France
  23. Vautrin

a new hate target for the left: Kate Smith

Go over to Red State. You'll see all the irrational pettiness you want along with the usual wingnut craziness.
  24. LonesomePolecat

ClassiCategories

OTELLO (1986)
  1. Load more activity

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us