All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. jakeem

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

Kyle Griffin‏Verified account@kylegriffin1 Lawmakers in 18 states have introduced bills that would require all presidential candidates and their running mates to release their individual tax returns in order to qualify for the presidential primary ballot.
  3. cinemaspeak59

I Just Watched...

This film stayed with me for a while. The sequence at the club, with the festive air of New Year’s Eve, as Domenico waits, and waits, for his date, was mesmerizing. The ending was quietly powerful, and somewhat Kafkaesque. A great film indeed.
  4. cinemaspeak59

I Just Watched...

I haven’t seen all of them either. From the Six Moral Tales, I’ve seen My Night at Maud’s, Claire’s Knee and Chloe in the Afternoon. The last film from Comedies and Proverbs I saw was The Green Ray, which I loved.
  5. rosebette

I Just Watched...

Wow, one forgets how gorgeous these two grand dames of British film and theater were!
  6. LornaHansonForbes

LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT, the 1928 film novelization.

the novelization's original covers:
  7. LornaHansonForbes

upon getting back from "vacation"- I watched most of the RECONSTRUCTION of LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT that occasionally runs on (and was commissioned by?) TCM some time ago. It was already disappointing (SO static, and uninvolving, moreso than it had to be if you ask me), but now that I've read the novelization, I find it doubly so. If the reconstruction hues closer to BROWNING'S SCREENPLAY than the novelization does, then I have to say that the novel is superior- not missing a single chance to deepen the mystery or ground the whole ludicrous premise closer to something believable at every possible turn. as a mystery novel, this book was outstanding. I can't imagine how it would feel to read it not knowing the ending, but to read it knowing the ending is to admire his cleverly it is constructed, The author, without telling the reader, has THE INSPECTOR go undercover as an ARMY FRIEND of the Baron, and while you figure it out pretty quick- it's still an ingenious conceit. She also presents us with SO MANY ODDITIES throughout- the cockney speaking BATGIRL, an unexplained embrace between THE COLONEL and the heroine in THE ROSE GARDEN that leads us to think they are perhaps entering into a love affair is all we see of the scene where he brings her into his scheme; in the film he tells her outright in front of us. there was truly something slightly SHAKESPEAREAN about the whole thing, all is false, all is fancy, all is madness and moonlight.
  8. LornaHansonForbes

the book also includes a character that was cut from the film, including a production still with his picture- ROGER BALFOUR (the first murder victim) has a SON, HARRY, who is strangely protective of his sister (I'm telling you, this thing was RIFE with subtext) and rebels against THE BARONET, their guardian. When he wishes to return to BALFOUR HOUSE to live, he is soon after found on the grounds with two mysterious wounds in his neck...
  9. LornaHansonForbes

ok, back on my computer where i can post images. this is the edition i read: the cover art is terrible, BUT it was nicely bound (it actually bore a stamp on the last page that said "printed in Columbia, SC, April 3, 2019- so I guess someone has a printing press where they will make you a copy on order.) the binding is solid and the pages are clean. i ordered it off amazon and it was $20; I had the option to pay half that to read it on Kindle but I DESPISE KINDLE. This edition has a foreword and afterword that, while cheesily written in the style of a horror matinee host, has a certain charm to it. it is also slightly annotated with some interesting notes, largely related to the various scenes from the photoplay which were included in the 1928 edition and are included here, but not in their original sequence- the author notes- because they had the print that betrayed the murderer's identity on page 90!)
  10. He's trying to say that TCM will go the way of the dinosaurs.
  11. Today
  12. jakeem

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

The Daily Beast‏Verified account@thedailybeast Trump doubts Biden is smart enough to win Democratic primary https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-doubts-biden-is-smart-enough-to-win-democratic-primary?via=twitter_page
  13. TopBilled

Fun movie-related gifs

Making pancakes in Connecticut
  14. jakeem

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

CNN‏Verified account@CNN There are now 20 Democrats running for president in 2020 https://cnn.it/2Zy7GO3
  15. Fedya

I Just Watched...

Lawrence: Are you going to be getting to any of Maury Dexter's movies? Several of them have showed up on FXM, and they range from interestingly mediocre to hilariously awful, and they're from around the time you're up to.
  16. TopBilled

TCM and Other Sources for Classic Film

Thursday April 25, 2019 Charlton Heston on Starz WILL PENNY with Lee Majors THE LAST HARD MEN with Charles Coburn
  17. DougieB

Shocking and villians

Are you sure about that?
  18. Yes, and I think I can add to that by saying there's also film gris. I'd say THE LOST WEEKEND is gris, somewhere in the middle. It doesn't feel like total noir to me. It just feels like a contrived hard-hitting drama. It really is my least favorite Wilder film. The whole thing feels like a juvenile attempt to tell an adult story. He was definitely riding on the coattails of DOUBLE INDEMNITY.
  19. DougieB

The Worst Thing In A Movie!!

Oh, was he dancing? I couldn't take my eyes off of that jacket of his with the weird ruffly peplum, just the thing hoods were wearing in those days.
  20. jakeem

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

NPR‏Verified account@NPR Joe Biden's announcement to run for president in 2020 focuses on a "battle for the soul of this nation." https://www.npr.org/2019/04/25/675382786/joe-biden-officially-announces-2020-presidential-run?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20190425
  21. TopBilled

ClassiCategories

I learned a lot from everyone's impressions of 80s culture. Interesting! one thousand three hundred twenty-second category Soccer or basketball Soccer THE ARSENAL STADIUM MYSTERY (1939) LADYBUGS (1992) Basketball TALL STORY (1960) ONE ON ONE (1977)
  22. jakeem

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

NBC News‏Verified account@NBCNews Analysis: Critics say the president is abusing his authority so badly that he could be impeached for actions that having nothing to do with Russia. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/trump-goes-war-power-over-congress-n998241?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma
  23. jakeem

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

CNN‏Verified account@CNN A leader of an armed militia that held hundreds of migrants at the US-Mexico border was attacked at a New Mexico detention facility, authorities said https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/24/us/militia-leader-alleged-attack-jail/index.html?utm_medium=social&utm_content=2019-04-25T07%3A34%3A07&utm_source=twCNN&utm_term=link
  24. TopBilled

ONE word titles

From 2008
  25. jakeem

Trump's Biggest Whoppers

Daily Kos‏Verified account@dailykos Danger: Angry Trump supporter showed up at Hillary Clinton's home to demand her arrest https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/4/24/1852755/-Danger-Angry-Trump-supporter-showed-up-at-Hillary-Clinton-s-home-yesterday-to-demand-her-arrest
  26. TopBilled

A to Z of Characters

Rivers, Deke -- played by Elvis Presley in LOVING YOU (1957)
  1. Load more activity

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us